Best way to de-prime a case?

PDA

bullockcm
September 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
I have some rounds where I bulged the cases from trying to crimp to heavy. I have already pulled the bullets and powder. What is the best way to de-prime the cases or should I just throw them away?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to de-prime a case?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
September 17, 2008, 04:19 PM
Toss 'em.

Or if the cases aren't so munged up that they won't easily fit in your gun, fire 'em next time you're at the range.

Or... keep 'em around and the next time you're camping, toss 'em in the camp fire. That'd be fun. (<-- that's a joke kids)

-T.

Walkalong
September 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
A universal decapper would be easiest.

If they will still fit in the sizer, just resize them and push out the primers.

If they are .38 cal, then a .44 sizer should work, etc.

PotatoJudge
September 17, 2008, 04:40 PM
You can use a depriming die for a larger caliber (a 300 win mag die or universal die will cover about anything) and go slow.

Any reason not to reuse the primers?

ranger335v
September 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
Actually, there is no reason not to save the caps where they are. Just back the decapping/expander rod out enough to not touch but can still expand your necks, then resize normally.

If you wish to discard the caps, just resize/decap normally, they won't go off. Even if one did, it wouldn't hurt anything. (Except maybe your pants and they can be washed!)

If you wish to use another die as a "universal" decapper, it will have to include a smaller expander button.

bullockcm
September 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Guys!

evan price
September 18, 2008, 01:04 AM
I had a batch of .357 Mag brass I got in trade- Hornady and Speer, good stuff, but the previous owner apparantly trimmed them down, because they would not roll crimp at all- they were that short!

Broke them down, ran back through the sizer die, stuck my finger over the waste primer slot and caught the primers, put them back in the next set of cases, they all shot just fine at the range last weekend.

Shame to scrap out 50 .357 mag cases for being 1MM short.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to de-prime a case?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!