Tikka T3 Hunter .25-06

PDA

hotlead
September 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have the chance to buy a NEW Tikka T3 Hunter in .25-06. What would you pay for this rifle? What is your experiences, likes/ dislikes with this rifle?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 Hunter .25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
t george
September 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
i would give 450 or 475 if i were in your shoes i dont have a tikka but i have shot a few and i dont think i have heard to many people that were unhappy with theirs. the only thing i have heard as far as a complaint is the polymer mag but thats all

surjimmy
September 17, 2008, 10:23 PM
I love my T3 it will put 3 shots inside a penny at 100 yards. The plastic mag is just fine to me, Never had a problem with it. In Oklahoma the Tikka T3 will retail for about $460.00 new.

skinewmexico
September 17, 2008, 10:59 PM
Not a Tikka fan, but I love that caliber.

hotlead
September 17, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hmmm. I am interested in the cal. as well. I was offered one for $475.00. I just dont know about this rifle. I have never held, shot or looked at this particular model in person. Plastic this, plastic that cost $60.00 dollars........
Just want an honest yup, or, tell the guy to pack sand.

surjimmy
September 18, 2008, 01:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken the Hunter is a wood stock. If so $475 is a great buy. Tikka is made by Sako, which is about as good as it gets. I promise you you'll love it.......................................................You have 1 HONEST YUP!!!!!!!!!

berettashotgun
September 18, 2008, 04:52 AM
Mine sits and waits for a scope and ammo.
Internally - good, well - excellent.
fit/finish - very very good
(thin) plastic $60 magazine - WHOA!........:scrutiny:
$60 bucks. A sardine can ( used ) would cost $120-$130 with that logic.
I still love it for the looks alone.
and the box did say BERETTA.
I got mine for $500 straight up on a lucky deal.
Laminated and stainless
I'd not even hesitate to get another caliber for that price. I might have to, the wifey just officially traded her win classic (270) with boss in for this one.
At least that's what I heard.:rolleyes:

hotlead
September 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
What kind of scope do you recommend for this thing?

berettashotgun
September 18, 2008, 01:43 PM
About $250-300 good.
4x14 minimum to properly apply the capabilities of the 25-06
I generally get some longish shots. Mostly coyotes @ 400. I think it will work.

surjimmy
September 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
I got a Bushnell Elite 3200, 4-12x40. It was on sale at Sportsmans for $300

Poper
September 18, 2008, 05:38 PM
the box did say BERETTA.Yup. Beretta bought Sako a few years back. Sako and Tikkas are still made in Finland, though. Great guns.
Don't worry about the plastic mags. They feed as slick as any detachable box magazine gun out there.
I have a Tikka in .270 Win. with a Nikon scope. Great accuracy. I spent the $60 for an extra mag because carrying a loaded spare in my jacket pocket always seems like a good idea to me.

Poper

280shooter
September 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
they are great,I HAVE a tikka 3 lite stainless in 223,super smooth action.shoot dmie size groups all day

surjimmy
September 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
Where do you get the extra mags??????

hotlead
September 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
Good to hear. I am going to pick it up in the a.m.:D
I was wondering what factory loads worked well with your .25-06?

Fumbler
September 19, 2008, 12:08 AM
If I was in the market for a new one I'd consider $500 good.
In my area they overinflate the prices of T3. They're $550 for a blued Lite:rolleyes:
Hunters usually run $25-50 more.

I bought my T3 Lite in 308 for $425 used, but it looked new.

Tikkas aren't necesarily made by Sako. They are made by Tikka in a Tikka factory, which happens to be owned by Berretta (previously owned by Sako).
Sakos and Tikkas do share the same barrels though.

People b!itch about the plastic.
So what? Glocks are plastic, got a problem with them too?
With all the negative comments about the plastic I have NEVER heard of a broken T3's trigger guard or magazine, not even second hand accounts of broken parts. I've never heard of any feed lips going bad in the mags either.
Yes, they are expensive. That doesn't bother me; I only need one.
You don't go around with a spare metal floor plate and mag box for your Remington 700 BDL do you?

I actually love the T3 mags. To unload the gun you just pop the mag out and clear the chamber. That's much less of a hassel than a blind mag or hinged floor. Also, feeding single rounds on top of an empty mag works without any problems.
Plastic is great. My T3 Lite WITH a 3-9x40mm scope weighs less than a Rem 700 WITHOUT a scope.

Search the forums for the T3.
You'll find a bit of info.
Just beware that most of the people who don't like them have never even held one...

berettashotgun
September 19, 2008, 02:55 PM
Lighten up Francis-:rolleyes:
Compared to the price for detachable mag for a SIGARMS SHR 970, STEYR SBS in 376:evil:, Remington 788 or 700, Browning A-Bolt, Winchester 100 in 284, Winchester 70 300win ( yes - they made 'em), AR-15, FAL, Para-Ordinance P-14 - P-13 -P-12, da...da.......da.....da.....
Have spares for every one of them.
Get the point??
The Tikka has the highest priced magazine, yet seriously appears to be the lowest quality. The Steyr is following close behind....but I knew the caliber did come with some excess baggage when I bought it.
Besides, as far as reliable - has ANYBODY you know actually popped 1k rounds downrange with one of these "reliable" magazines???:banghead:
That's all I'm getting at.
I like the rifle I just got, I'd get another one if the deal comes along.
I just think - don't actually know - that the average joe would be much better served with a hinged floorplate; don't suppose many of these models will make the Sheriff dept strike team roster:neener:

Fumbler
September 19, 2008, 03:15 PM
I've fired over 600 rounds so far from my 308. The feed lips look exactly the same as they did 599 rounds ago.
It's a 3 round mag with a light pressure spring. There's hardly any force on the feed lips. I don't see how one could wear out even with thousands of rounds.

I guess my point is this; It's a bolt action hunting rifle.
Just because it has a detachable mag doesn't mean you have to buy spares. You wouldn't even have the idea of needing spares in a blind box or hinged floorplate rifle, so why would the price of a mag it be a drawback?

atblis
September 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
The nice thing about the Tikkas is that the magagzine with no rounds in it acts as a very nice benchrest type follower. Drop a round in the action and it feeds direction into the barrel.

For bench shooting, no need to load the magazine.

Bear2000
September 19, 2008, 03:28 PM
$475 would be a steal. I paid $558 for Tikka T3 Hunter (otd w/FFL $590), and that was the lowest price I could find (Able Ammo).

Tikkas are great rifles, very accurate, smooth bolts, light. There magazines are plastic but work just fine. I do wonder how they justify $60 for them though.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 19, 2008, 05:13 PM
The nice thing about the Tikkas is that the magagzine with no rounds in it acts as a very nice benchrest type follower. Drop a round in the action and it feeds directly into the barrel.

For bench shooting, no need to load the magazine.

Hmmm, I'm not aware of any turnbolt gun that WON'T do this...

People b!itch about the plastic.
So what? Glocks are plastic, got a problem with them too?

Yes. Plastic sucks. And it WILL (mind you, not "might") break on you sooner than aluminum parts. It might be next generation in your kids' hands, but it will happen. I don't care how good the plastic is, it's still inferior to aluminum or steel alloys.

But in general, Tikka=Good.

I thought Beretta merely has the import rights to the Sako & Tikka guns - did they actually BUY Sako?

Will Fennell
September 19, 2008, 05:31 PM
Beretta bought Sako/Tikka a few years back.....lock,stock and barrel....pardon the pun:p

They also own Burris optics, Benelli, Franchi, Uberti, Stoeger, Steiner Optics, and probally a few more I can't recall at this time. Life is good for Ugo Beretta;)

Poper
September 19, 2008, 05:40 PM
Where do you get the extra mags??????I ordered mine through the local gun shop where I bought it. I wasn't in any hurry, but it only took a few days for it to come in.

Poper

vogski
September 19, 2008, 08:16 PM
Doesn't work too well on my Swedish mauser. The Tikka follower/mag looks like they actually designed it to operate that way. It's deadnuts perfect for it. It litterally works just like the after market benchrest followers do.
http://www.eabco.com/images/savagefollower02.gif

the foot
September 19, 2008, 09:04 PM
The Tikka is great, also that caliber is real good. Just shop around for the best price.

Fumbler
September 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mausers, Pre 64 Win 70, Ruger 77, anything with a claw extractor...unless you want to break extractors.

I've tried dropping cartridges into my push feed Win 70 and a friend's Rem 700.
They definately don't feed as smooth as dropping one into a T3.

hotlead
September 21, 2008, 12:18 AM
I GOT IT YESTERDAY! It has a Smooooth bolt, light to shoulder and is appealing to the eye, except for the plastic bolt shroud. I think I will be o.k. with all the plastic. I am going to take it out monday for it break in. Speaking of break in, is there any steps you recommend for breaking in a new barrel? And for anybody who has this t3 in .25-06, what factory ammo did you have luck with?

corncob
September 21, 2008, 10:10 AM
I don't care how good the plastic is, it's still inferior to aluminum or steel alloys.

Care to elaborate on this theory? Remember that a significant percentage of the plastic in question is probably actually glass. Unless you are a materials engineer or something I think you should give the Swedes a break.

Take my 1911, for instance. It has an aluminum frame. Since aluminum has no endurance limit, I know it has a finite life. I fully expect it to crack from the takedown lever hole somewhere around round number 20,000. I own four Wilson combat magazines--with plastic followers. I fully expect to use those mags, including the "inferior" followers, in the 1911 I replace my current one with after the frame cracks.

The real story is in how well the material is matched to the part's geometry, service loads, and other factors like weight and cost. If I owned an aluminum-framed Beretta, for instance, I would be quite upset if the frame cracked somewhere around round number 20,000--because the frame was designed to be made from aluminum. The 1911 frame was designed to be made from forged steel. The steel ones never crack. In this case I say steel is still the inferior material because it's too heavy. Glock frames almost never fail either, even though they are made of "inferior" plastic. I just replaced some expensive parts on my car which failed after only a few years due to being made of rubber. Tool steel tires last forever, they just don't grip the road as well.

The point is that material choice is one of many complex variables that determine useful life; and long useful life is one of many competing (often mutually exclusive) goals for a designer. I bet those $60 plastic mags are still feeding when all the nitrogen has leaked out of that $300 scope.

hotlead
September 22, 2008, 01:25 AM
no info?

berettashotgun
September 23, 2008, 02:47 PM
The point was - is the Tikka a good rifle for the $$$?
I think so.

Poper
September 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
no info?Lots. If you will read the posts between your first and last post.

I hope this is helpful.

Poper

surjimmy
September 23, 2008, 04:23 PM
I don't have the T3 in 25-06, but have shot Winchester Power Points in several different cal. all was very accurate. Your going to love your Tikka.

Fumbler
September 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
Lots. If you will read the posts between your first and last post.

I hope this is helpful.

Poper
I'm pretty sure he was refering to his own question about barrel break in.

Hotlead, I'm in the school of thought that break in really doeasn't matter for 99.8% of us shooters.
Just clean the bore really well before shooting it, then have at it.
I don't have any experience with the 25-06, but my T3 in 308 loves Nosler Ballistic Tips and Black Hills Match.

hotlead
September 23, 2008, 10:56 PM
Fumbler ,

Thanks. That was my thought to. I bought some 117gr federal power shok. I am impressed with this rifle. I only got out to 100 yards before the sun went down and was sticking them in the 10 ring. My guess would be 1" if not less MOA easy! People who are hard core Winchester and REMY. guys were also impressed with the out of box trigger, bolt action and trigger. I like it.

hotlead
October 14, 2008, 12:59 AM
Well, this .25-06 has not attracted a single big buck around here. What cal. do you suggest?

Heck
October 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
I dont have a tikka but would like to have one. Great feeling rifle and i like the 75 degree bolt throw. the polymer mag i dont think is a big deal. Anyone ever heard of Glocck or Magpl Pmags?

Shawnee
October 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
Heads Up Tikka fans...

I just happened to run across this auction ad...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112468514

In the fine print they say they have brand new Tikka mags to sell for $35 each and - according to them - the extra mags are hard to find and retail for $80.

Just thought to pass it along to anyone wanting an extra mag.

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 Hunter .25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!