Guess I got too light on the .45 ACP...

PDA

another okie
September 8, 2003, 11:00 PM
I'm still pretty new to reloading. Experimenting with .45 ACP this summer I went down as low as 4.5 of 231 driving a 185 grain jacketed bullet. It worked fine at home, but at the range tonight (indoor league) it started jamming regularly on the second round in the magazine, so I guess I need to step that up a little. I have the Speer manual and also the "Complete Reloading Manual for the .45 ACP", which has the load pages from several different manuals. I guess I'll go back up to about 5.5. The low recoil sure was nice, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess I got too light on the .45 ACP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
September 9, 2003, 12:24 AM
Lyman lists 4.1 grains of 231 with a 185 gr. jacketed bullet @ 680 FPS. Also the same bullet with 3.5 grains of Bullseye @678 FPS.

Since you like the light load/light recoil you might try changing to a lighter recoil spring. If you do, remember to switch back the regular spring when you're done.

stans
September 9, 2003, 06:52 AM
I agree with Old Fuff, you are shooting ammo that is very light, so drop down to a 12 pound spring and see if reliability is improved.

kudu
September 9, 2003, 09:25 PM
Just a thought but if you go a little limp wrist it will start the jamming problem. Sometimes you don't even realize your doing it with lght loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess I got too light on the .45 ACP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!