September 17, 2008, 11:31 PM
ok i need opinions that are hopefully based on things like:

1. function
2. fit and finish
3. reliability
4. accuracy
5. shootability
6. all other random stuff

i am going to get one or the other for my next .45 and am at a full on crossroads! help!

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or glock 21" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
theken206
September 17, 2008, 11:36 PM
what do you have to spend??

have you used the 1911 platform before??

whats the purpose of the gun??

MICHAEL T
September 17, 2008, 11:43 PM
To totaly different pistols . You must handle shoot and decide .

easyg
September 17, 2008, 11:44 PM
First you should hold a G21 and see if your hands are large enough to comfortably shoot one.
I love Glocks, but my hands don't love the G21. :(

ndh87
September 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
My hands fit the G21 but a 1911 is my first choice. I have a Kimber 1911. its one of those guns that just feels right.

bgeddes
September 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
First you should hold a G21 and see if your hands are large enough to comfortably shoot one.
I love Glocks, but my hands don't love the G21

Ditto. The 1911 I own shoots great for me.

Prepster
September 17, 2008, 11:47 PM
My opinion on winners in each category:

1. Glock
2. Higher-end 1911
3. Glock
4. Higher-end 1911
5. Totally personal
6. Random stuff: Glock wins for tacticool-ness, 1911 wins for much better looks.

Wow, that is pretty close.

cliffy
September 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
.45 ACP and Kimber should be a synonymis term. I shoot one regularily, and have found nothing to complain about; I love to complain, so maybe I should buy something else. cliffy

sheephearder
September 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
You have to handle and shoot both, only you can decide what you like and shoot best. They are both good guns and each have their following I have owned and shot both and have settled on the 1911 but still like the Glock too.
It does have a large grip and is lighter, it is a personal preference and neither is better than the other.

nalioth
September 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
i am going to get one or the other for my next .45 and am at a full on crossroads! So at the next intersection, buy the other one. ;)

Black Majik
September 18, 2008, 12:35 AM
For the same price point as the G21, I'd take the Glock over the 1911.

janobles14
September 18, 2008, 01:12 AM
so kinda split it seems with a bit leaning to the high end 1911.

k lets narrow some....i dont want to spend the custom 1911 price. i have held and shot both. i was just hoping someone had experience with both to the point of tipping the scales somehow.

btw hands are plenty big for the 21 being 6'5" and 260 lbs. i like the feel of the 1911 better but am drawn to the function (design) of the glock (but i am not crazy about the overall look and feel). BUT i like the way the glocks shoot! ARGHH!!!

GIVE ME MORE!

Mickstix
September 18, 2008, 01:19 AM
What purpose is the gun going to serve??

Black Majik
September 18, 2008, 01:30 AM
What is your price range, and what would constitute as "high end 1911" for you?

OOOXOOO
September 18, 2008, 01:36 AM
I own a Glock 21 and a 1911 Kimber. For reliability the Glock wins. For accuracy, fit and finish, ergonomics, and pure beauty all 1911. Single action versus double action, I shoot single action much better.

Kino74
September 18, 2008, 02:18 AM
1911 or glock 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok i need opinions that are hopefully based on things like:

1. function
2. fit and finish
3. reliability
4. accuracy
5. shootability
6. all other random stuff

i am going to get one or the other for my next .45 and am at a full on crossroads! help!

The 1911 comes in enough colors and flavors for any budget. The G21 comes in standard G21 and G21 SF which has a slimmer grip and is much easier to handle. If budget is a concern, go with the Glock. If you're willing to spend more try a STI Trojan. In the end buy the gun you will not have to deal with buyer's remorse.

CWL
September 18, 2008, 02:42 AM
A G21 is a single-branded pistol.

A M1911 is a platform of pistols of which there are easily dozens of brands and hundreds of variants. Price differences from lowest-end to highest-end is easily $3500 and probably more.

How can anyone compare the 2?

Buy the one that you shoot the best. If you aren't sure, buy the one that feels best in your hands, that is as good a start as any.

distra
September 18, 2008, 07:04 AM
Why choose? Get both! :D:D Seriously, I have both platforms and like them for different reasons. My 21 came with 2 mag extension takeing the capacity to 17 rds each which is a plus for IPSC shoots needing lot o' rounds. I would still never part with bobtailed S&W commander or my Ti custom Caspian, both are great shooting guns. If funds allow, pick up one of each you will not be sorry.

Dobe
September 18, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hmmm, shoot both and decide. Both are good platforms and equally reliable. The 1911 excels in ergonomics and trigger. Those two attributes mean a lot to me.

surjimmy
September 18, 2008, 07:49 AM
If you like the way the 1911 feels over the Glock, I would take the 1911. Gary at randgfirearms.com has a Glock 21 second generation in the box for under $400. He also has some really nice 1911's. Have been doing business with him for about 30 years. Did not mean to turn this in a sales pitch, just more places you can look for deals.

easyg
September 18, 2008, 07:54 AM
btw hands are plenty big for the 21 being 6'5" and 260 lbs. i like the feel of the 1911 better but am drawn to the function (design) of the glock (but i am not crazy about the overall look and feel). BUT i like the way the glocks shoot! ARGHH!!!
In that case, I recommend the Glock 100%!

IMO, neither gun is that great as a concealed carry piece....but for home defense, open carry, or a truck gun, the G21 easily trumps the 1911.

Think about it....
It cost less than a nice high-end 1911, so you'll have money for more ammo and accessories.
It has Glock's outstanding reliability.
It only weighs about 26 oz (vs about 40 oz for a 1911).
And it offers 13+1 rounds of .45ACP (vs 7+1 for the typical 1911).

If I was your size (6'5") with larger hands I would choose the Glock G21 without a second thought.

Good luck,
Easy

Ske1etor
September 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
I kindly disagree. The 1911 is a fantastic concealed carry piece. The 1911 is very slim.

You don't need to buy a "High-End" 1911 to get a good 1911. The Kimber Custom II is one of the best buy's in the 1911 world right now. You can pick one up for around 700 in most markets.

1911's are inherently less reliable due to the tightening of the design for accuracy purposes. There are a few little in home steps you can do that will make a factory 1911 just as reliable as any glock.

The weight difference is negligible when you load the weapon. A single round of .45acp JHP weighs nearly one ounce. 14 rounds of .45ACP plus the mag weighs about 16 ounces. Add another magazine and 13 more rounds and you are looking at 14 more ounces. You are looking at about 56 ounces for that weapon plus a spare mag. My 1911 weighs almost exactly 40 ounces. 8+1 in the chamber weighs about 10 ounces and an extra mag of 8 weighs about 9 ounces for a total of about 59 ounces. It is almost impossible to tell the difference between an object that weighs 56 ounces and an object that weighs 59 ounces. I work in a laboratory and weigh things all day on scientific scales and I can tell you that telling the difference in hand is hard, telling the difference on a belt is impossible.

The magazine capacity is even negotiable. The Glock has a higher capacity which helps with the firepower department but hurts it in the concealment department.

Overall, I would choose the 1911... But that is me.

It also depends on what you want the firearm for and how much time you intend spending on the range.

HoosierQ
September 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
Except for caliber, kinda of an apples and oranges comparison here.

Each one's list of pros somewhat contraindicate the others...steel vs plastic...really good trigger vs a longer pull...single action vs essential double action (a light DA at that), infinite customizability vs fairly limited, fat (G21) vs thinner (1911), lighter (G21) vs heavier (1911), hi-cap vs 7 or 8 rounds, etc.

Price might be the ultimate deciding factor. There is one G21 (OK maybe 2 for the SF version) and it costs about $600 (give or take 10%) and they're all the same. There are probably 100 1911s and cost from about $600 (give or take 10%) all the way up to probably $3000 with quite a divergence of features and quality.

So if you "decide" to get a 1911, you actually have an even bigger decision which follows.

Decide on a Glock, you'll lay down $600 and get yourself a great gun and that'll be that.

SureThing
September 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
Maybe a CZ 97 or Elite Match/?

james_bond
September 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well make sure you at least look at the XD-45, I love mine. but out of the 1911 or the G21 I say the 1911, but it is twice the price.

Neckshot5seven
September 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
Are you a Apple Martini or a Whiskey kind of guy. I like the 1911 in my hand and how it shoots. You also have to ask yourself if you are comfortable with a round in the chamber and the hammer back. Some DAO guys poop themselfs seeing a 1911 cocked and locked. Some LEO's I know freak when they see my 1911 cocked and locked. "you are going to shoot yourself carrying like that" I have here too many times. Shoot both of them and get what you are most comfortable with. Lots of good advice so far on this thread.

glockman19
September 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
IMHO, the 1911 is the best pistol in the .45 ACP caliber. Glocks excell in the 9mm and Sig & Hk in the .40.

NG VI
September 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
Are you a Apple Martini or a Whiskey kind of guy. I like the 1911 in my hand and how it shoots.

The Glock 21 (or any Glock for that matter) is NOT the apple martini of semiauto handguns!

Smaug
September 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
I would go with the 1911, and here's why. If you don't like the aesthetics of the gun, you will never grow to love it, no matter how functional it is.

I learned this when I bought my Glock 34. I loved everything about it except the aesthetics and the trigger for super-precision shooting. I could just never get over the physical blah-ness.

A basic 1911 will be just as reliable, easier to shoot well, and will please you aesthetically. It'll grow on you, whereas the Glock is more like an appliance. Sure, you can count on it, but for this kind of money, you need more than that.

Neckshot5seven
September 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
I was wondering who would chime in on that one!!

Deanimator
September 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
M1911 because the standard Glock 21 is too big for my hand.

The Glock 21SF might be a different story.

I've got four M1911s three of them .45s and one a .38 Special.

janobles14
September 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
I would go with the 1911, and here's why. If you don't like the aesthetics of the gun, you will never grow to love it, no matter how functional it is.

I learned this when I bought my Glock 34. I loved everything about it except the aesthetics and the trigger for super-precision shooting. I could just never get over the physical blah-ness.

A basic 1911 will be just as reliable, easier to shoot well, and will please you aesthetically. It'll grow on you, whereas the Glock is more like an appliance. Sure, you can count on it, but for this kind of money, you need more than that.

dangit! this is exactly what i was afraid of...appliance is just what i was thinking.

WolfMansDad
September 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
I have tried both, and over time the 1911 grows on me. The G21(SF) doesn't. Both are fine pieces and will probably serve you well, but if you are like me, over time you will bond with the 1911, but the "new" will quickly wear off the 21.

1911:

Pros - Slimmer (*much* easier to carry, in spite of the extra weight). Better trigger. Handles a wider variety of ammunition (mine will feed empty brass, which the g21 will not). Fun to practice with.

Cons - Some require a break-in period or some fiddling to achieve reliability. Once you get there, though, a good 1911 should be as reliable as any glock under all conditions, i.e. 1,000 rounds or more between malfunctions.

G21:

Pros - Cheaper, sometimes by half. Usually works 100% out of the box.

Cons - Very fat. Almost impossible to conceal. *Much* pickier about ammo (e.g. no lead bullets). Not much fun to practice with. Also does not impress your friends. :p

Capacity isn't really an issue. With modern, 8-round mags, a 1911 holds 9 rounds total, compared with the G21's 14. If you can't get the job done with 9 rounds of .45acp, you've got bigger problems than you can address with a sidearm.

If I were unarmed and needed a new gun right now for a life-and-death situation, I'd probably grab a G21. If I were leisurely buying one to last me a lifetime, I'd spend the extra money and go with a good 1911, take the time to break it in, and practice with it.

Beagle-zebub
September 18, 2008, 07:17 PM
Someone else has probably already said this, but have you considered the XD45? It's essentially a Glock with a grip-angle more akin to that of a 1911--since you mentioned liking the feel of the 1911 better, this might be something you would like.

SureThing
September 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm a Glock fan, but I agree, maybe a M&P or XD.

I still say look into a Elite Match.

kcshooter
September 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
I bet this thread is a flame war by page 3.

1911 is too broad of a selection, you need to narrow this down a little by prefered mfgr or price range.

I'll take a 1911 over a Glock any day. This mostly has to do with the bizarre grip angle of a Glock and the fact that I have to cant my wrist slightly forward to get one to point right for me.

I suggest you check out both in person before deciding.

S&Wfan
September 18, 2008, 08:47 PM
All else being equal, the 1911 will be cheaper in the long run if you shoot a lot and reload . . . for the Glock's unsupported barrel is pure hell on brass (so you can't reload them too many times vs. many times if fired in a 1911).

Plus, the rifling in the Glock barrels prevents using the much, much cheaper cast lead bullets that we reloaders love so much for their accuracy and economy.

Thus . . . the huge amount of money you save reloading ammo will more than pay for a decent 1911 in short order!

Harley or Honda? 1911 or Glock? It depends a lot on the guy who owns either, and what is important to him/her.

I've never been able to buy and keep a Glock for more than a week or two. Not so on the sleek 1911 . . . the ultimate fighting pistol of all time!

Make mine a 1911.

T.

S&Wfan
September 18, 2008, 08:49 PM
PS: I should add . . .

Everyone needs to own both types during their lifetime. Both are truly classic handguns that will go down in history as significant in the evolution of handguns.

T.

fgr39
September 18, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have both and like both. Don't let people tell you the grip is too big, you have to shoot it and decide yourself. A good example, my wife (wears a size 2 so you know she is not an East German powerlifter) likes shooting my Glock 21 and hates the 1911. She says that the 1911 is to thin and hurts the web of her hand but the Glock feels right. I never would have guessed that she would like the 21 and I bet most folks(guys) would tell her that gun is too big for a little lady.

Line Rider
September 18, 2008, 11:27 PM
The 1911A1 is a great gun. But I would rather have the Glock 21 for carrying all day.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or glock 21" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!