stolen

PDA

squinty
September 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
Anyone have a gun or guns stolen from them? If so, how did the thieves get hold of them/what would you do differently to prevent the theft? Were the guns ever recovered, and if so, how?

If you enjoyed reading about "stolen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NukemJim
September 18, 2008, 06:18 AM
Had a S&W 640 .357 stolen when I sent it out to have a night site installed. Was stolen from the shipper (UPS IIRC ). Since I had my FFL ship it for me they had to fill out all the paperwork and buy me a new gun.

About 6 months later I got a call from a Sheriffs office down state asking me where my gun was. Since I KNEW it had been reported to LEO (I got copies of the papework just in case) I got suspicious and questioned them why they asked me about a gun when I was certain it had been reported both to BATF (this was pre BATFE ) and local authorities. I asked them what county because I was going to call them back to confirm. I called and it was the Sheriffs office and they admitted that they had copies of the police report from when it was stolen.

I still do not understand why they called.:scrutiny: :confused:

NukemJim

Deus Machina
September 18, 2008, 06:41 AM
If they called, it was probably about a lead on that of some sort. Should have asked explicitly.

Otherwise, they probably found it in crackheads glovebox, saw it was reported stolen, and decided that meant it could sit in evidence forever. :rolleyes:

Ala Dan
September 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, stolen was a Iver Johnson TP-22 (.22 LR caliber) semi-auto back on
OCT. 13th, 1994; during a violent car-jacking of my wife. I know, this gun
did not cost but $114.95 + tax at the time of purchase; but its the fact
that this bastard perp made off with something of mine~! No, this firearm
has not been recovered; and still remains active in NCIC, as Bessemer, AL
Police Department holds the stolen report. Serial number is: AE 23221, in
case you happen too sneak upon it~! :uhoh:

BTW, the perp Roderick Lee Armstrong B/M AIS# 175007 (Alabama Inmate
Control System #) is serving a 32 year sentence for this crime; as he was
apprehended five days later (OCT. 18th, '94) driving the wife's stolen car.
Currently, he is secured in the Bibb County (AL) Correctional Facility, under
the care of Warden Cheryl Price. ;)

foghornl
September 18, 2008, 10:21 AM
Yeppers...I fit in this category

Had my "Old Model 3-Screw" .357 Blackhawk stolen...First Mrs. Foggy had left the belt slide shell holder on the dash with car unlocked and revolver under the seat...Never saw that one again. Sorta same thing with my Nylon 66...First Mrs. Foggy loaned it to a friend without telling me, her "friend" moved somewhere out west, not bothering to return said .22 to her or me.

bonza
September 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
Back in 1983 I had attended the Cast Bullet Rifle Metallic Silhouette Championships that was hosted by Lyman in Connecticut. On a return flight with TWA from NY (JFK) to St. Louis my gun case containing my Winchester M.1885 High Wall in .40/65 disappeared, never to be seen again. This was in the days when the airlines put a label on the outside of the case saying it contained a firearm! I filed a claim with TWA & about six months later recieved a check for $1000. That amount pretty much covered what I had in the rifle, but it would be a hard one to replace.

bigjohnson
September 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
On December 16, 1986 my house was burglarized and three Winchester rifles and three extra-nice civil war swords were taken. None of the stolen items has ever been found. I've got a laminated card in my wallet with the serial numbers of the guns and the sheriff's department case number. One of these days I'm going to be in a gun store or at a gun show, and I'm going to find one of the guns. Hopefully, I'll be able to recover it without too much of a problem.
As my lawyer said, "a thief can pass no title". Even if the guns have changed hands fifty times, they're still my property, and I'm going to do everything I can to get them back.

squinty
February 13, 2009, 12:05 AM
Well back in August I had a break-in. Stolen were my ruger 10/22 stainless, remington 870 marine magnum, and mosin-nagant m44. I haunted pawn shops and flea markets for awhile, then decided that I'd probably never see those firearms again. Two weeks ago a man tried to pawn the ruger, and was subsequently arrested. The police then arrested a second man who supposedly sold the rifle to pawn-boy. For fifty dollars!
I don't have the gun back yet, it's still evidence, but it seems to have changed hands a lot in a few months.

theotherwaldo
February 13, 2009, 03:19 AM
Towing a little trailer, in the mountains of southern Oregon during Spring Break, we got hit by a late storm. Three feet of snow. Got stuck and burned out a clutch. Spent a couple of bad weeks, then hiked out. While we were out, someone ripped off everything that could be moved, including the jack under the car's engine.

They also got a Springfield 03-A3, a '98 Mauser, a MAS-36, and a Remington Model 12 .22 pump.

Coincidentally, the MAS-36 showed up in a local (south Texas) pawn shop last year. Totally ruined.

Other than that, we've had an old S&W .38 stolen from our cabin in northern California and an RG-66 taken from my sister's car (possibly by my dad, in the latter case).

saltyyn1
February 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
Had a shotgun stolen from the store. Thief (or thieves) broke a window which trigger alarm. Then they climed on the roof. Police & manager arrived and determined a rock was thrown, nothing missing. Manager moved long guns from under window & left. Evidently thief had arms like an ape, after everyone left, he did manage to reach one gun. Police call every year & ask if we (?) have fouond it.

Another incident where I was lucky. Taking the wife to a movie & needed to kill 45 minutes. We went to a shopping center & wandered around the stores until time for the start. Went out & 150 yards across the parking lot I could see my truck door open on the driver side. My stomach knotted up, I never fail (or so I thought) to lock it. There for all the world to see was my HK compact 9 sticking out of the door pocket. Reflecting on what happened, we got out of the truck & I locked it & closed the door. My wife asked me to open it to get her purse. I unlocked the driver's door & hit the button to unlock her side. Ended up walking off with my door open. I guess all those prone to steal it during the ensuing 45 minutes probably thought it was a bait item for the police. I would have thought there would be a zero chance of the gun or truck still being there.

UpInSmoke
February 13, 2009, 10:45 AM
I personally havent had any stolen from me but my dad had a few.

This is gonna be kinda hard to explain but I will anyways......

Dad had 3 guns stolen( Dan wesson .357, a 30 30 and something else) from a break in at the house. About a month later a cop seen some people shooting guns down by the river and he ran the numbers on the guns and they came back stolen. LAter that day my dad gets a call from the police that they have his guns and he can come get 2 of the 3 becuase they needed one for evidence. MY dad then drives to the police station and they go into the room to get the guns and only one was there (30-30) and the others were missing. The punk police told him he couldnt take the 30 30 becuase they had to have for evidence(even tho the other 2 were somewhere) .

When dad gets home he calls the insurance company and tells them what happened. Needless to say the insurance company is pissed and calls the police station and gives them a good chewing and they finally let him get his 30-30.

Insurance co calls back a few days later and tell them they are going to investigate the other 2 guns that went missing from the PD. Insurance co calls back a few days later and told hiim that a deputy would be coming by the house later with your .357 and that they found it in the trunk of his car. They also said he would be dismissed from the force. Cop showed up at the house handed him the gun and diddnt say a word to him. That other gun is still missing as far as i know but at least he got insurance money for it.

Hope that was clear.

The Lone Haranguer
February 13, 2009, 11:16 AM
I had two handguns stolen out of my mobile home. (So much for neighborhood watch - they watched to see when I was gone to work so they could rip me off. :fire:) The thieves were caught due to someone squealing on them and one gun was recovered, but it could not be released to me until the case was adjudicated, which took quite some time, during which I moved. They (San Bernardino County, CA sheriff) caught up with me about a year and a half or two years later, IIRC, and returned it. If I had had a substantial safe this might not have happened - the thieves were just punk teenagers.

UpInSmoke
February 13, 2009, 11:19 AM
Glad to see that some PD's acctualy give them back.

Grey_Mana
February 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
On December 16, 1986 my house was burglarized and three Winchester rifles and three extra-nice civil war swords were taken. None of the stolen items has ever been found. I've got a laminated card in my wallet with the serial numbers of the guns and the sheriff's department case number. One of these days I'm going to be in a gun store or at a gun show, and I'm going to find one of the guns. Hopefully, I'll be able to recover it without too much of a problem.
As my lawyer said, "a thief can pass no title". Even if the guns have changed hands fifty times, they're still my property, and I'm going to do everything I can to get them back.

You'd think that, but the government can condemn your property and then sell it. If they sat in an evidence locker and got auctioned, you're out of luck.

When I was a student, I found this out the hard way - allegedly my car was reported abandoned early during Christmas break in a public parking space, allegedly it got a sticker telling me to call somebody, allegedly it was towed and sold at auction. I found out in late February, when I went to drive the car and tried to report it stolen. The DMV guy said that because I was no longer the rightful owner of the car, the only information they could give me was the date I stopped being the rightful owner. :fire:

twoclones
February 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Never lost a gun to a thief so I guess I've been lucky. I now keep any weapon I'm not carrying in a big safe bolted to the floor.

Dirty Dawg
February 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
Never had a gun stolen directly but have faced a similar situation. Several years ago I traded a titanium Taurus .38 with a local dealer for another weapon I'd had my eye on. Not one week later, the dealer was robbed. Young hoodlums tied up an employee and took several pistols, including the .38 I had just traded. I was a little worried that my name would still be associated with the pistol and talked with a couple of LEO friends who assured me I'd be in the clear if anything happened.

About a week later the local PD arrested one of the bad guys who, of course, rolled over on his cohorts, telling the police where they had buried the pistols. The next day's paper featured a front page photo of a police officer with a group of pistols laid out on the towel they were wrapped up in while buried and sure enough, right there in the front was my old .38, a little worse for having been buried for a week but recognizable just the same.

Duke of Doubt
February 13, 2009, 02:16 PM
Before we upgraded security a tad, my building got broken into a couple of years back. Burglar totally ignored several guns I'd left right out in the open. That's one decent reason right there why he's doing a decent intermediate length sentence without my involvement or care, and why he isn't hamburglar.

Carlos Cabeza
February 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
A couple of years ago I came home to the front door laying in the hallway, kicked off of the hinges. I immediately called 911 and then checked out my home (armed of course ) against the advice of the 911 operator.:fire: I was surprised to see that none of the firearms were touched :confused: but all of the wife's camera equipment and video equipment gonzo..........:cuss: He/ They even used my luggage to carry it all away. :banghead:

It only takes once to change your mindset about your safety and security. :fire::fire::fire:

Once you have been violated it doesn't go away !

gdcpony
February 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
My car was stolen. The police could care less.
It had 3 AR's, 2 1911's, 3 .22's, and a couple bolt guns in .243, and 7x57. Not to mention about 1500 rounds. (I was meeting a friend later for a day at the range) That got their attention.
I got the car back the next day and the thieves had never looked in the trunk. Heck, everything was all still in the car at the impound! I would have thought the cops would have locked it up or something.

Duke of Doubt
February 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
gdcpony: "I got the car back the next day and the thieves had never looked in the trunk."

That's funny, but rings all so true. I had a client (in another time and place, now long gone) who got pulled over one night, and was eventually charged with a comparatively minor infraction. Car was never searched, and good thing for him, too.

Prion
February 13, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm curious if anyone would mind elaborating on if these robberies/thefts occured in rural or urban settings. I'm rural and by no means do I think that exempts me from crime but i'd like to know the ratio.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 13, 2009, 02:47 PM
Never.

And I hope it stays that way.:uhoh:

RedAlert
February 13, 2009, 06:19 PM
In the late '80s, my home was burglarized and S&W 639 was taken. Left behind were two boxes of 9mm ammo in the same cubby-hole in my headboard. Also left behind were traveler checks in the same place. I suspected kids.

Anyway, I was reimbursed by my Insurance Company for the theft of the pistol. So I wonder if I would be entitled to the pistol? If returned to me, would I have to pay that money back?

Never saw the 9mm again although I did replace it with a later model S&W 9mm.

robsc
February 13, 2009, 08:10 PM
Guns kept out of sight are also out of mind. Don`t show them. Don`t talk about having guns nor about hunting. A loose lip WILL sink the ship. Remove the gun/hunting related stickers from your vehicles. Get a fire proof steel safe weighing at least 525 pounds and bolt it to floor at each corner with at least 1/2 inch steel bolts. After tightening each bolt, fill up the hole with a glue gun so that it`s level with floor of safe to keep stuff out of it and not dinging your guns` stocks on it.
Be sure to always lock the safe when no one is home. Also lock the safe at night with with any money, valuable jewely inside it. Keep out only the guns and ammo that you will use for self defense.

UpInSmoke
February 13, 2009, 08:37 PM
So I wonder if I would be entitled to the pistol? If returned to me, would I have to pay that money back?

You would have the option of the gun or the money, couldnt have both.

MedWheeler
February 14, 2009, 10:55 PM
A Taurus 66 was stolen from my truck during a vehicle burglary in the summer or fall of 1989. It was recovered during a foot chase (that followed a car chase) involving drive-by shooting suspects about two years later. Four suspects had bailed from a pursued vehicle, and all threw down guns as they ran. Mine was one of them. It was not the gun used in the shooting, and was returned to me.

Bush Pilot
February 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
I used to leave in the winter time for warmer climates when time allowed. I had a 20 year employee (whom I trusted) check my house once a week for broken pipes, etc..., he had the alarm codes and I never gave it a second thought. In my gun room I had several new guns still in their boxes that I'd purchased when a good deal presented itself. One day I went to look at one of the guns and found the box to be empty, it turns out several other boxes were also empty. Since he was the only other person that had a key it was obvious what had happened. I went to the police and contacted a lawyer, without catching him in the act it was impossible to prove. Needless to say, I let him go (for a very minor problem on the job, normally I wouldn't have said anything) He got me for about $17,000.00 worth of guns/scopes, he in turn lost a $40,000.00 job, full medical, vacation and a fully funded retirement. Yeah, I know about precautions, had the safe, alarms and bars on basement windows. I never expected an "inside" job.

YZR
February 15, 2009, 01:14 PM
I had a Taurus Judge stolen from my car's glove compartment. I had relatives staying at my house and accidentally left the garage door and car open. As it turned out the thief also stole a laptop from a different vehicle and the police tracked him down when he logged on to the internet with it. I was lucky and got my gun (and I-Pod) back and since then I have installed motion lights, removed the gun from my car and make double sure the garage door is closed AND the car is locked. I am well aware of just how lucky I am to get the weapon back!

squinty
May 9, 2009, 02:31 AM
Well, the police have my ruger 10/22 because some genius tried to pawn it. He pled guilty and gave the name of a person who sold my rifle to him (for fifty bucks!) but the police couldn't get enough evidence to charge the second guy. They won't give my rifle back. They don't say no, they just keep putting me off and ducking the question. I will keep bugging them. It's my rifle!:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "stolen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!