Preventing Necro-Posting

PDA

GigaBuist
September 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
Is it possible for the software to lock threads after, say, 90 days of inactivity?

I've never seen any benefit in reanimating long dead threads, but people do it, and it leaves me reading 2-3 year old posts totally unaware until I get to the bottom and find "lol so anybody know what happened to this? kthxbai."

If you enjoyed reading about "Preventing Necro-Posting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
September 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
I am very much in favor of following thru on the request in the previous post for all the same reasons.

Zundfolge
September 18, 2008, 06:47 PM
I agree, but I'd recommend more than 90 days ... maybe 6 months or a year.

Mal H
September 18, 2008, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately, there is no function in the vBulletin s/w that allows us to do that. If there were, I also think a longer time period would be better, maybe a year.

.38 Special
September 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm one of those who would rather see old threads brought up from the basement, rather than the weekly thread on "Is the S&W model 10 any good" or "Someone told me not to wrist-flick the cylinder shut".

Heck, if anything, I'd rather see a "Frequent topics" sticky for such things, even though it would be just as easy to ignore as the search function.

Overall, this comes under the "If it ain't broke..." header, IMO.

Loomis
September 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
I like the old threads.

ReadyontheRight
September 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
I like the old threads too.

It's even humerous when some asks "is this still for sale" on a 5-year-old post.:)

GigaBuist
September 18, 2008, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, there is no function in the vBulletin s/w that allows us to do that. If there were, I also think a longer time period would be better, maybe a year.

A year is probably a better idea. You guys are right there.

If there's interest I'm sure I could whip up something that Derek could put in a cron job to do the task. It doesn't have to be the vBulletin software that does it. Couldn't take more than an hour or two of my time.

PotatoJudge
September 19, 2008, 01:48 AM
I don't like the idea at all. There is no reason to prevent thread necromancy unless the topic is outdated (candidate positions from the 2004 elections for example). There is nothing wrong with asking for an update or having a new member add some useful bit of info without rehashing what has already been covered in an older thread. I've seen items sell after a year or two when somebody dredges the archives and finds what they want. Old threads found on google often lead to people signing up so they can comment, which can lead to all kinds of good things.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=233794

TimboKhan
September 19, 2008, 03:22 AM
The old threads are kind of a pain, but we tell people to search, and then when they find an applicable thread and post on it, we mock them for reviving it from the dead. It seems to me that we either embrace the search ethic or we don't. It has to be pretty frustrating to get the always sanctimonius "search is your friend" line and then get made fun of for actually searching...

Justin
September 19, 2008, 05:21 AM
See, this is why I keep my sign handy:

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=70670&d=1199811473

:)

flynlr
September 19, 2008, 05:28 AM
I have subscribed to this thread for the sole purpose of reviving it again in a couple of years

Chisel Head
September 19, 2008, 10:32 AM
...Old threads found on google often lead to people signing up so they can comment, which can lead to all kinds of good things.
...In fact, the Google search which led me to this site was an old posting linking to Czech firearms laws. It's not the thread's fault that the one Czech member, who used to post on it, is no longer active. If the laws have changed since the thread died out, then I can agree with capping the thread. But, so long it's still on the first page of Google, why disappoint possible new sign-ups:confused:...It seems to me that we either embrace the search ethic or we don't. It has to be pretty frustrating to get the always sanctimonius "search is your friend" line and then get made fun of for actually searching...Exactly. If we kill the search engine, old threads will automatically be left redundant. The benefit of having old threads is that we don't have to research at least twice for information which is still relevant. I think we owe it to those who spent their time looking up things for us to keep their work from ending up in vain

Mal H
September 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
As I said, there is no function currently in vb that would allow us to do what was asked, and we aren't going to be hacking the code at this time to add it. This is very low on our priority list at the moment - ok, to be honest, it isn't even on our priority list.

I do want to comment on the "search is your friend" problem. I don't think that the majority of those who say that to someone actually mean go search for the information you want and then add your 2 cents to any thread you find; they mean go search for the info and use it. Rarely, if ever, has a zombie thread been reanimated by someone who had recently been told to go search for something. IMX, a good 80% are brought up by newbies who did indeed perform a search for their favorite pistol or other topic and thought their contribution would be greatly appreciated by a group of people they don't even know - it usually isn't. 19% are the same thing, but from older members. The remaining 1% are actually good resurrections that added some useful information.

flynlr - Might as well unsubscribe. ;)

Henry Bowman
September 19, 2008, 04:12 PM
Justin, I have docketed a reminder to myself to post an update to this thread next year. ;)

Mal H
September 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
[psst - Henry - this thread is locked. ;) ]

If you enjoyed reading about "Preventing Necro-Posting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!