do .308 and .30-06 kick too much for you?

PDA

SpeedAKL
September 18, 2008, 06:45 PM
I've heard and read many shooters complain that .308 and .30-06 are too hard-kicking for a lot of shooters to handle properly, and that those shooters would be best served for the typical deer hunt with a smaller cartridge such as the 7mm-08 or .25-06 or .243. Others don't seem to mind and find them perfectly acceptable to shoot at the range or in the field.

Around here, .30-06 is pretty much the default whitetail caliber. Take a visit to the local public range right before deer season kicks off, and it's a 10-gun .30-06 salute all day long. We can get some pretty decent-sized bucks around here, and since lots of hunting is either done in the national forest or in open fields, the long-range knockdown power of the all-around high-power cartridges are much appreciated (.270 is also very popular). Don't see too many .300 Win Mags - hunters in SW VA seem to as a whole draw the line at .30-06.

Personally, I don't find either cartridge objectionable. If I ran 100 rounds through my .308 or my roommate's .30-06 I'd probly be sore the next day, but overall I find both cartridges are enjoyable to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "do .308 and .30-06 kick too much for you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benzy2
September 18, 2008, 06:55 PM
As a deer rifle no they aren't too much. As an all day blaster or anything but the absolute longest range target shooting, yes they are excessive.

FlyinBryan
September 18, 2008, 06:55 PM
i picked no, but i also would feel it the next day if i were to go through 100 rds in a 30 06 bolt action.

a 308 ar type rifle is a pleasure to shoot, and a garand aint too bad for the 30 06.

it really depends on the rifle a lot.

Coal Dragger
September 18, 2008, 07:00 PM
The rifle stock shape, recoil pad, and rifle weight will have more to do with shooting comfort for me than caliber.

I don't find either the .308 or .30-06 to be objectionable in a sporter weight rifle, and with a good stock a light weight rifle in either caliber is not too objectionable.

SpeedAKL
September 18, 2008, 07:02 PM
I've fired .308 in several bolt guns as well as an AR-10. The AR-10 was a pussycat, and none of the bolt guns were/are too bad. I've fired .30-06 in two bolt guns, my friend's Remmy is fine with standard loads, the other one (a Win M70) was a bit stout but then again the ammo was hot-loaded. Never had the pleasure of shooting a Garand.

Jim Watson
September 18, 2008, 07:02 PM
For a few rounds sighting in and going hunting, they are ok.
For target shooting, my .308 has a heavy barrel, all recesses filled with lead, and I wear a RAND shoulder pad. It is still about as much kick as I want to put up with for a hundred round F-class match.
My plinking loads in my old .30-06 run from .30-30 down to .32-40 ballistics.

Bitmap
September 18, 2008, 07:04 PM
I put 600 rounds through a sporter weight .30-06 bolt gun in 4 days. No big deal.

kcmarine
September 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
Never fired a bolt gun in either caliber. I'm sorta a stick... but ever since I fired about 300 shells of 12 gauge in 1 day, nothing really measures up anymore. They don't kick too hard in semis, though.

The Wiry Irishman
September 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
I put a muzzle brake on my .308 (Short gas system FAL carbine, weighs ~8#) and now the only thing limiting how much I shoot it is my time and budget. The most I've done in one sitting is ~200-250 rounds, and still no soreness. It even has an all-aluminum para stock. Without the brake, I'd start getting sore after 120 or so.

russcoh
September 18, 2008, 07:12 PM
Both 308 and 30-06 are relatively light calibers when used in a well configured rifle (at least when it comes to recoil). I've fired a low model savage 30-06 with a cheesy stock and a curved recoil pad, then a Remington 700, both factory, feels like a different rifle. The load you use really makes a difference, too. The best thing to do is try every rifle you can, see which feels best, and doesn't feel too hard kicking.

Ben Shepherd
September 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
You needed a couple more options on the poll.

I can shoot a couple hundred rounds of 308 out of a bolt action without trouble.

30-06, on the other hand, usually wears me out in about 50 rounds.

In semi-autos I can go 'til I run out of ammo with either caliber generally.

jkingrph
September 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
My old Win 70 Ftw with factory buttplate is a bear. A recoil pad, no wood removed tamed it. M-1 is a pussycat by comparison. I shoot some bit stuff, lightweight 45-70, 375H&H and 458 Win mag, and I still remember the beating that little Win. gave me 45 years ago.

Chipperman
September 18, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm good with .308 and .30-06 for countless rounds. I've never fired the big magnums, but I suspect they'd be a little much for more than a couple of rounds.

The biggest gun I've ever fired was a four bore rifle. I fired two rounds. Fun, but that was enough.

jrfoxx
September 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
voted "no", but will clarify that I use a slip-on recoil pad on my model 70 in 30-06. It's not that it kicks to much without it, but is more comfortable with it, so for the $10 it cost, and can be put on any gun I choose in seconds, no reason not to use one and take up some of the recoil, IMHO.

missouri dave
September 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
Depends on the rifle. I had a winchester featherweight years ago in .308 with an 18 inch barrel that was absolutely brutal. My garand in 30-06 is a pussycat.

IndianaBoy
September 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
The 30-06 is not a rifle I would hand to a beginning shooter. A person too lazy to develop decent shooting skills with an 06 will not magically become a better shooter with a 223.

I enjoy shooting my 06. The only thing keeping me from shooting hundreds of rounds is funding.

Shawnee
September 18, 2008, 07:54 PM
The recoil (and blast) of the .308 and 30/06 are pointless (and even detrimental) for varmints, deer, antelope, black bear, hogs and informal target shooting.
Their recoil/blast is somewhat justified for hunting Elk or larger game, or some formal target shooting because of the benefit of using a caliber with increased power for game that is best hunted with more powerful calibers. A 7mm/08 or .270 would be just as good and have a little less recoil.

No matter what the shooting task is - recoil is never your friend. It simply serves no positive purpose and often - very often - is a negative influence.

:cool:

elmerfudd
September 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
I don't have a problem with most full power 30 caliber rifles even when it comes to shooting 100 rounds or more from a bolt action. That said, I do have a lightweight 30-06 with a metal buttpad and shooting that with heavy bullets is uncomfortable at best. With that particular rifle, I don't like to shoot more than a few shots. That's pretty much the exception though. I've got over a dozen rifles in calibers like 7.62x54R, .308 Win, 7.5 Swiss and 8mm and the only one that kicks my butt is that lightweight 30-06.

HM2PAC
September 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
Recoil is fun.

Basically I like a little kick.

If a person can't handle a little give and take, that's fine.

But if you can't handle it, there is no reason to call it pointless or unjustified.

aspade
September 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
Some recoil is fun. Lets you know something happened. If it wasn't we'd just shoot rimfires.

U.S.SFC_RET
September 18, 2008, 08:38 PM
When shooting make sure that you achieve the right sized stock that fits you because it can make all the difference in the world.

CU74
September 18, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'm "recoil averse" - old, skinny and arthritic shoulder - and I checked NO. I don't have any lighter-weight rifles chambered in .30-06 and I use a strap-on recoil pad on my 1903A3, 1903 and Garands. My sole .308 shooter is a Springfield M1A1 and, with the recoil pad, it is "better" than the .30-06 shooters.

My "stout" recoiler is a .303 Enfield - kicks like a mule.......

stubbicatt
September 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
I made master shooting a Remington 40x in 308, with 168 to 190 grain bullets. Did it thump me? Why yes it did. Can you get used to it? Yes you can.

Hud
September 18, 2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with missouri dave: " Depends on the rifle. I had a winchester featherweight years ago in .308 with an 18 inch barrel that was absolutely brutal. My garand in 30-06 is a pussycat. "

I have a full dress military Colombian mauser in 30-06 that I enjoy shooting.
I also have an FR-8 in 7.62 that I wanted to put down after about 10 rds. 'till I straped on a decent recoil pad.
Then there is the 1936 8mm mauser that was sporterized in the '60s, that with 180 gr. hand loads just flat HURTS!
But using any of them for hunting, I won't feel the recoil at the time or see the brusing for a couple of days.

Hud

SlamFire1
September 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
I first started shooting with straight grip M1903's. That rifle had such a vicious kick that I had swollen lips and my shoulder hurt.

However, rubber slip on pads do wonderful things.

However, in my dotage, I have become a big wuss, and add lead weights and use heavy barrels on my 308ís .

BeltfedMG
September 18, 2008, 09:14 PM
Can and do shoot 308 for hrs straight, no prob, 30-06 you start to feel after about 40 rnds.

scythefwd
September 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
AFTER shooting several boxes of slugs though my shotgun, I don't even notice my garand has fired (except that I have to re-aim). Never fired a bolt in either, but I am looking forward to shooting my buddies semi in -06.

ar10
September 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
They all can kick you hard if you don't know how to shoot it. hold it away from the shoulder a little, fire a few rounds then look at your shoulder. it's best to wear some type of tee shirt when doing this experiment :)

KiltedClaymore
September 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
not really for me. only after shooting 3-4 boxes of greek surplus .30-06 (no long resting periods) thru my deer rifle, my right shoulder starts to sting alittle. nothing too bad, just "tender".

Halo
September 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
I've never fired either one. How does the recoil compare to 7.62x54R? For me, forty rounds is about enough of that for one day. My shoulder usually gets the red spiderweb effect after shooting my Mosins.

TnShooter83
September 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
I picked No.....
But I've never put 100 30-06 down range in my bolt action in one day?????

dmazur
September 18, 2008, 10:41 PM
No, but I don't have a featherweight .30-06, and all 4 rifles have either a recoil pad or a brake.

I've heard that extended shooting sessions with a 7 lb rifle (w/ scope) can be a whole different thing than shooting a 9 lb rifle.

Of course, stock fit makes a difference, too.

butters
September 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
I would say that they both kick fair amount. Not very noticeable when the adrenaline is pumping and you have a deer in your sights but at the range it can wear on you. I haven't shot the reduced recoil 308 rounds to compare but hear they are a bit nicer on the shoulder. I think my next rifle purchase will be a 7mm-08. The deer won't know the difference and the recoil is much lower than the 06 or 308 plus it will be a good caliber for my son when he gets a little older.

transformerguru
September 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
recoil is mild compared to a 12 gauge or a Mosin :)

XD-40 Shooter
September 18, 2008, 11:17 PM
I've shot both of my dad's rifles, a Browning A-Bolt 30-06 and a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. Neither are objectionable recoil wise, but I would say the 30-06 is about all I can handle for extended shooting sessions. The Remington .308 is very enjoyable to shoot, since it weighs about 8 lbs with scope, it cuts the recoil down to about 15 ft lbs, not bad at all. I can certainly tell the 30-06 thumps me harder, as it only weighs about 7 lbs. I could easily shoot the .308 all day.

Kymasabe
September 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
.30-06? Not even close. Most of the .30cal common stuff (.308, .30-30, .30-06) is pretty much average recoil. I shoot a 7.62x54R Mosin carbine pretty often and you get used to it. A couple of hundred rounds in a day though...and your shoulder lets you know it!

taliv
September 18, 2008, 11:30 PM
i can shoot a 308 all day long. (and have many, many times)

a few rounds out of a 30-06, especially from prone, and i'm done for the week. i really hate shooting 30-06.

shadowalker
September 18, 2008, 11:34 PM
I don't mind .308 at all, I perceive less recoil than with my 12 gauge. I do wind up with a small bruise now and then but it is part of the fun.

I think that most people could handle .308 and 30-06 just fine. The .308 and 30-06 have great ammunition choices, from 110 grain varmint all the way to 200+ grain bullets.

There is also managed and reduced recoil hunting loads for those that are a little recoil sensitive.

cbrgator
September 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
Which shooting position best combats recoil? I would think standing...?

KiltedClaymore
September 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
when shooting in a standing position, you are able to "roll" with the rifles recoil. makes it not beat your shoulder so hard. but, accuracy is reduced compared the groups you would get shooting prone or benched.

mosinmadness
September 19, 2008, 02:40 AM
heres an idea if you dont mind extra wieght. I got this idea from a 30-06 handi rifle. Take of you but plate find a lenth of pipe that will fit in cap one end and fill it with lead [ shot, sinkers, or if you have the ability liquid]cap the other end and place inside the rifle stoc kand attach the but plate. it adds a coule of pounds and cuts out some recoil, and a good solid recoil pad and you good to go

tasco 74
September 19, 2008, 04:19 AM
the only 30.06 i ever shot was my friends m-1 grarand with that steel butt... i shot a full clip and didn't care to shoot anymore........... the experience was painful!

onebigelf
September 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
I'm 6'4" and 225lbs. I think size does help. I don't find 308 or '06s objectionable in anything I've fired them in. I don't think I've ever shot anything heavier than 168gr match loads in either, but I don't recall thinking, "that kicks" about any of them. I've run hundreds of rounds through the CETME and the FN-FAL in an afternoon. I've run a couple of hundred through the 1917 in the same afternoon 'cause the CMP is a wonderful thing (.25/rnd 30-06! YEA!!!!) and had no bruising/soreness. I did shoot a friend's 300 WinMag last weekend. That was fairly ridiculous. Particularly in Florida. (Doesn't kick harder here, there's just nothing to shoot with it.)

John

crebralfix
September 19, 2008, 07:49 AM
You'll get used to it. I took a week long long range rifle class and fired 300 rounds over four days. I distinctly remember noticing that recoil wasn't affecting me other than as visual vertical movement through my scope. My concern was getting the gun back down on the bipod and maintaining alignment with my target. If I did so, I would see the splat of the round on the steel.

Just practice properly a whole bunch and you'll be fine.

Speedo66
September 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
The determining factor is the gun.

Fired M-14 (.308) hundreds of times in the military, no problem.

With my light weight Browning lever action in the same caliber, sighting in at the range is enough.

As has been said previously, it's all in the type of action (gas operated is lighter feeling), the weight of the rifle, and the shape of the butt plate, with crescent shaped being the worst.

Art Eatman
September 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
If I'm going to shoot any full-power rifle with a steel butt plate or a sporting '06 from the bench for any protracted session, I interpose a small sandbag between the butt of the rifle and my precious, tender shoulder. :) I'd do the same for prone, but I rarely shoot from the prone position.

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to figure that Padding is Good. Heck, I'd wear a thick jacket in summertime, if I'm gonna mess with a Big Banger...

BoilerUP
September 19, 2008, 12:30 PM
My 742 semi-auto in 30-06 was quite uncomfortable after 6-7 rounds, but was fine for three shots in a pie plate @ 100yd and a single shot at a time during deer season. It had a rounded plastic buttplate.

My 700BDL in 30-06 had a thin factory recoil pad and was okay for about 10 rounds, then it started getting uncomfortable.

I bought a $20 slip-on Limbsaver and went through 2 boxes of 30-06 in the 700 and it was like shooting my 22-250...really a non-event and a necessity for load workup.

That said, I don't have a dedicated range and most of my shooting is done prone with the rifle supported on sandbags...standing or sitting I could take the recoil MUCH better.

goon
September 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
It depends a lot on the rifle, but in general, no.

And if I owned one that did, I'd do my practice with handloads on the lower end of the load data and then just change my zero and hunt with full power ammunition.

Mostly though, when I shoot .308 the only thing that hurts is my wallet.

JesseL
September 19, 2008, 01:16 PM
It depends on:

How well the rifle fits.
The bullet weight.
The shooting position.
The clothes being worn (light t-shirt vs heavy winter coat).

My .30-06 Mauser that was my Great-Granfather's, with 150 grain bullets (heavier won't fit in the magazine) is a sweetheart to shoot. A few rounds of 180gr .308 through my Father-in-law's Ruger M77, shooting prone, beat the snot out of me.

Fumbler
September 19, 2008, 03:22 PM
I have a lightweight bolt action 308 have have owned and shot many 30-06s.
The recoil is not too much.

However, many people will say the 30-06 in a bolt action is the recoil limit for many people.
I would disagree.
For your average hunter shooting only enough rounds to sight in a gun, I would say yes, it is the limit.
For the average Joe off the street who doesn't shoot guns I'd say it was too much. For the average hunter I'd say the 30-06 is too much for more than a few rounds.

When I first started shooting for fun I'd start flinching after 5-10 rounds.
I've seen many a skilled hunter (not recreational shooters) start flinching after 5 rounds or so too.

1KPerDay
September 19, 2008, 04:16 PM
I shot about 20 clips through a couple garands (including a tanker with no wood handguards) the other day, prone... by the end I was anticipating the pain and cringing. shoulder is pretty bruised. I'm sure I wasn't using proper technique.

Standing up or sitting I don't have a problem... I like the wallop the garand gives you. Feels like a man's rifle. :D

cbrgator
September 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
How heavy would a rifle have to be to take keep 30-06 very manageable, 10 lbs or so?

rcmodel
September 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
About 10 gazillion GI's were trained to shoot 9 - 10 pound Enfields, Springfields, and Garands very well.

At least well enough to win two world wars and several smaller ones.

IMO: .30 cal class rifles really start to hurt when you get below 7 pounds all-up weight, including scope, ammo, & sling.

rcmodel

dmazur
September 19, 2008, 06:15 PM
My heavy-barrel MRC 1999 weighs around 13 lbs w/ scope and it is almost pleasant to shoot. I'm aware this is far too heavy to carry for still hunting, but it's great for a fixed position.

Lighter ones aren't quite as comfortable, as noted.

TCB in TN
September 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
I think size CAN matter, but it doesn't always. I started shooting my ole single shot 12ga with punkin balls, when I was 8 and learned to roll with the recoil. Killed my first deer with pa's 1903 at 12 (weighed a whoppin 120lbs). Never saw it as to much. In my early 20's (weighed 175lbs) I shot a ton of 30-06 and .270 and even after trading for a lil .243 I just never saw a problem with the 30-06. It is just comfortable to shoot. (Most I ever shot was about 150 rounds in a day). I was a bit sore but nothing bad.

Few years back got my first .308 and it is great. Both my boys started out with the .243 long before they hit 10. My oldest killed his 1st deer with a remmy 7400 30-06 at 11 and youngest used the same at 9 for his. Both have 30-06 as their primary rifle now 12/15 youngest is 5'8" 115lbs and oldest is 5'7" and 125 lbs. Both love their 06's. Both have shot my and their uncles .308, his 7mm mag, my nephews Nagant, and a variety of other rifles. They don't seem to have any trouble hittin what they aim at, and usually my wallet runs dry before they are ready to quit shooting.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
Who are the 15 nancy-boys - show your faces!! Oh wait, one of them is me. :)

taliv
September 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
About 10 gazillion GI's were trained to shoot 9 - 10 pound Enfields, Springfields, and Garands very well.

yeah, but those guys walked uphill in the snow barefoot

Walkalong
September 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
In an average hunting rifle?

.30-06 - Yes

.308 - No.

I have shot bigger calibers than that, but .308 is my comfort threshold. :)

Guy B. Meredith
September 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've only shot .30 -06 and that only in a re-chambered Argentine Mauser and M1 Garand.

The total number of rounds I've put through the Mauser is equal to what I shoot in one sitting with the M1, but that gave me a life long flinch (along with shooting 25 12 GA rifled slugs at a time from the bench). I can shoot up to about 80 rounds in a sitting with the Garand while wearing only a T-shirt without undue discomfort.

GearHead_1
September 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, chances are someone may have already made this comment. It's interesting that you chose these two calibers for comparison. This is right where I draw the line for fun recreational shooting with the exception of the .50 BMG which feels about the same with respect to recoil. I like shooting the .308 for extended periods of time. I don't like the 30-.06 for more than 10-20 rounds. It seems like it's just enough more to make it less fun to me.

cinteal
September 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
Yep . . . I target shoot with a .308. Ain't happening with the '06. Plus, my Belgian Browning with a sporter barrel 30-06 . . . my dad refuses to shoot it and he shoots a 300 win mag.

Are they too much in terms of recoil . . . hehe . . . bang, bang, bang . . . bring on the big boys.

john917v
September 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
I fired a 30-06 twice in a row, and it wasn't half bad. I was surprised of the .375 H&H that I fired. I'd expect more kick. Never fired the .308 before, though.

KiltedClaymore
September 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
yeah, but those guys walked uphill in the snow barefoot

most WWII soldiers were shorter and lighter (no kidding!) than your average american today. meaning it would have hurt them more than us to shoot the .30-06 due to their lower mass. but shooting is all about preferances. for instance, im the type of person who doesnt enjoy shooting rilfes under .30 caliber (with .22's and pistol caliber carbines being the only exceptions). i just like the solid "thump" that .30 cal or larger delivers. my 11 year old niece, on the other hand, wont even shoot with me when i bring out the "big guns". it's all about preferance.

the foot
September 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
Don't pick your weapon based on the recoil. If you require a high powered but lightweight weapon, get used to the kick. Shoot enough ammunition through your weapon so you are comfortable with it. If you can't take the recoil, get a low powered weapon or get a different hobby.

almostfree
September 19, 2008, 09:03 PM
My shoulder hurts worse after shooting my Ruger No. 1 in .30-06 than after shooting my Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H. The recoil is very sharp and stabbing. In an M1 garand, on the other hand, it's no big deal. I had a CZ 550 in .308 that didn't feel like much at all. It all depends on the rifle.

twofourthree73
September 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
When I had my 760 remington 308 and I would want a butt pad on it if I shot it regularly. It's a fairly light gun and kick was substantial, but not terrible. Before I sold my 1903 springfield 30-06 with steel butt pad, I had no problems with the recoil, it was the weight that got to you if you carried it a day in the field.

All that to say, weight and type of rifle make a difference in felt recoil in either caliber.

ar10
September 19, 2008, 09:52 PM

Exactly! And the M1 Garand weighs 9.6lb then slowly and painfully gains weight as you carry it on long "walks". During high humidity the weight seems to triple every 10 miles. Now if you're being chased or shot at while running the opposite direction the weight doesn't matter that much. At least that's what a little bird told me once. :D

theotherwaldo
September 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's not the round, it's the rifle that decides what's comfortable.

NotSoFast
September 20, 2008, 01:00 AM
When I got to shooting the .30-06 I finally got something that begins to let me know there is something there. It's not overpowering to shoot though. I think I could shoot it for a hundred rounds or so with no problem. And that is with no padding nor a recoil pad, just a standard stock with a steel buttplate.

KI.W.
September 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
I have steel plates my .308 Win- and 9,3x57 Mauser rifles. Remington 700 .30-06 it is plastic.
There is no problems for me, because am only 70 years.

Z-Michigan
September 20, 2008, 05:01 PM
The recoil pad makes a big difference. A year or two ago I shot a Remington 700 that had their fancy new technology recoil pad. The gun was in .30-06 and weighed under 7lbs, but felt recoil was like a .223 (AR-15, in particular). That gun I could have shot 100 rds without feeling it.

I would not want to shoot a 7lb .30-06 with a wood stock and steel buttplate all that often, of course.

My .308 PTR-91 has no such fancy devices but technique of holding makes a big difference. I more commonly find bad form in holding hitting me in the face than hurting my shoulder all that much. Both are bad.

RancidSumo
September 20, 2008, 05:12 PM
I have never shot a .308 but I spent the morning shooting a 30-06 today. I was using my M1 and my friends bolt action Remmington, both 30-06. I could shoot the M1 all day but the bolt action wasn't all that fun after a couple dozen rounds.

JImbothefiveth
September 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
I chose not to vote, having never fired either, and not quite sure how you mean this.
However, I have fired loads that are supposedly within 2 or 4 foot-pounds of the 30-06's recoil, and those give me a flinch,(and I had a rather generous recoil pad on my gun) thus I do not intend to get a 30-06 anytime soon, except perhaps a garand.

skoro
September 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Not at all.

My only centerfire rifle is a bolt action 30-06. And its recoil is noticable, but not excessive.

545days
September 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
I can and do shoot full power bolt actions accurately, but I will readily admit that I am recoil averse, and prefer shooting a round that is not beating me up. In addition, I have a torn retina (and a gaping blind spot) in the peripheral vision of my dominate eye. Stout recoil makes my blind spot "flash" and it is aggravating.

The whole large caliber (or full auto) macho factor does nothing for me. I've shot all sorts of stuff in the Army, and never felt like it was a big deal. I enjoy an afternoon of plinking with an air rifle as much as I enjoy shooting with a center fire rifle. If anything, the reduced range of the air rifle allows me to plink safely at a variety of targets I would never engage with a rifle, for fear of endangering bystanders.

Edit - I should add I took "too much recoil" to mean unenjoyable, not unmanageable.

Prod
September 21, 2008, 12:41 AM
Not a problem. My M1 is easily manageable. It has noticeably less recoil than my Romak-3/PSL in 7.62x54R, and that has a muzzle brake. I've put up to 96 rounds through my M1 in a day wearing only a mesh running shirt and it was no big deal. Putting 100 through the Romak will typically give me a slight bruise. Mostly because every now and then I don't hold it tight enough. I've also shot .30-06 in a bolt action rifle, and it still wasn't as bad as the Romak. (I still <3 my Romak though.)

I like recoil. Lets you know that whatever is on the other end is really going to feel it.

the only 30.06 i ever shot was my friends m-1 grarand with that steel butt... i shot a full clip and didn't care to shoot anymore........... the experience was painful!

Hold it tighter next time!

Dees
September 21, 2008, 12:50 AM
I don't have much experience shooting .308 and only a little with 30-06 but I hear they both are very similar to 7.62x54r which I have plenty of experience with. I find the round a real hoot to shoot. Big bang, big flash, big impact down range, lot's of fun :D

anymanusa
September 21, 2008, 05:44 AM
I voted yes because my DPMS 308 wasn't 'pleasant' to shoot more than a dozen times until I put my Simms Vibration Laboratory buttpad cushion on it. Now it is a complete joy.

My FAL 308 was never bad to begin with though. I should also add that I've shot a Steyr Safebolt bolt action hunting rifle in 308 and I was a pleasure too. I don't know what it is about my DPMS, but it was such an unpleasant shooter from the get go, but with a pad, it is my favorite shooter.

That is all I have to add.

TEDDY
September 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
I started center fire with my father when I was 15,we used 1903 from legion.
and ww1 ammo.usually a bandoleer a day.I did right well as I had been shooting 22 for yrs.those days there were no ear muffs and we shot with out hearing protection and in the service AOM3C I shot the 30s and 50s with out muffs.what you say.the only 2 guns I find objectable is the Italian mod 38 carbine and the Bertier carbine[Turkish]with french mg ammo.:uhoh:;)

yokel
September 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
If one finds that the repeated kick is bothersome, distracting, and somewhat annoying, simply drape a folded hand towel across the shoulder to serve as a buffer.

swingpress
September 21, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'd say they have more than the ideal amount of recoil. Not so much as to be bothersome, but more than ideal unless you need a rifle with that much stopping power.

jkingrph
September 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm good with .308 and .30-06 for countless rounds. I've never fired the big magnums, but I suspect they'd be a little much for mo
re than a couple of rounds.

It all depends, upon weight of gun, fit of gun to you, and size of buttplate( a narrow, short buttplate will hurt much more thatn a wide taller one), and your position. Standing is best, if shooting from a bench make sure you are sitting as straight up as possible, not leaning over into the gun. I took some friends out a few weeks ago shooting 45-70, 375H&H and 458 Win mag, for their first time, and made sure they followed the bench procedure I outlined. The had a ball firing 30+rounds ea of magnum loads.

tinygnat219
September 21, 2008, 09:03 PM
Based on my experience with the .30-06 cartridge, of which I will admit is limited, my Remington 721 handles it just fine and is a gentle shooter. It's a 4 shot bolt action rifle. I picked it up 2nd hand and I use it for Deer. I also wanted something that could handle any game in North America and do just fine for the occasional long range shot. I also wanted a round that I could pick up anywhere in case I forgot my hunting ammo at home.

.30-06 answered all that and more.

H&Hhunter
September 22, 2008, 12:48 AM
If it wasn't for the noise I'd have never even known a 30-06 went off the recoil so mild.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "do .308 and .30-06 kick too much for you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!