Two Piettas: bit difference

PDA

rommer25
September 18, 2008, 10:35 PM
I took my new (to me) 1858 Remington to the range today. I went to our local Police Pistol Range and shot at 25 yards. I had both my 1858 Piettas. One made in 1980's. Man are they different.

The steel one has a much larger grip. I have been using .451 balls behind 25grs. of black powder. I also use lube pills, brought from Wayne's wife. It shot three inches low at 25 yards.

On the Stainless one, grip was much smaller, It was at first uncomfortable. I rammed a .451 ball into the cylinder and it came out with the lube pill stuck to the rammer. I switched to fiber wads but of course accuracy was not good. It did seem to shoot low at 25 yards. Even with the under size ball, it could stay on the target within the rings.

The steel pistol takes #10 caps and the stainless takes #11.

I have not read before that Pietta had such a wide range of standards. The cylinders are interchangeable.

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Piettas: bit difference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flibuste
September 19, 2008, 05:48 AM
hello,

The size of 1858 cal44 replica have changed a lot since 30 years.

As for Pietta :
As you have already noticed, Pietta has largely increased their 1858 size ( size of grip and general size overall) probably to strenghten it. This is true whatever blued or SS guns. Cylinders have kept interchangeable until a few years ago where the width of the slot have been increased : so a new cylinder will fit but will move a little in an older frame and on the contrary an old cylinder will not be blocked by the larger bolt of a new frame

As for Euroarms, they seems to have not changed and so look small in comparison today

Uberti has also increased the size and recently has also added a fast twist rate of the barrel.

If you compare a recent 1858 replica from Pietta or Uberti to a R§S (from Euroarms for instance), you will find their size comparable and you will not understand why it was generally stated that original R§S were stronger than Remington. But if you consider the older replica that were more identical to originals the difference of size and strength between both will be evident and this point will be obvious.

Regards

sundance44s
September 19, 2008, 07:45 AM
Uberti also increased the frame size on their 1858`s ....they beefed up the frame when they went to forged frames ..cylinders still interchange...from the old frame to the new.

scrat
September 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
sounds like you need to be using bigger balls. .454. this will improve your accuracy as well.

bprevolver
September 21, 2008, 04:11 PM
Check to see if you can see the barrel threads in front of the cylinder. In the early years of the fast growth of the replica percussion revolvers there was little care taken in the reproduction of these revolvers. Revolvers were sent to Italy manufacturers by various distributors for them to copy. Two of these were the Remington Beals Model and the Remington New Model Army without any designation between the two. The result was both were being replicated without any designation between the two and both sold as Remington New Model Army. Most Lyman Remington’s, as an example, are Remington Beals. The frames are smaller on the Remington Beals as well as the main distinction of little or no barrel threads visible in front of the cylinder. To a collector these are important differences. To the shooter is becomes a matter of preference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Piettas: bit difference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!