44 Mag Redhawk vs Blackhawk?

PDA

BigBlock
September 19, 2008, 01:49 AM
As much as I LOVE my 5.5" SS Super Blackhawk, I'm leaning towards trading it in for a new 4" Redhawk. Mostly just for target shooting, and woods carry.

What do you guys think? Which would you rather have? Unfortunately I can't have both, right now anyway. :rolleyes: I know the obvious differences between the two...but is there anything else I should know? How does the recoil compare?

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag Redhawk vs Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
September 19, 2008, 01:56 AM
I like both revolvers but you might find that 4" Redhawk a little heavy for woods carry. If it's heavy you might not carry it all the time.

If the weight doesn't bother you I would think a 4" Redhawk would do just as good a job as your Super Blackhawk. The only advantage would be speed of fire rate because it's a DA revolver. If you are very good with your SA fire rate then there is no advantage. I agree with you, I would hate to let the SBH go too...

Daizee
September 19, 2008, 02:09 AM
I recently shot a 7.5" Redhawk. what an impressive firearm.
But Blackhawks are just *wonderful*.

-Daizee

BigBlock
September 19, 2008, 03:49 AM
You guys are killin' me here....every time I get a gun first it's "no I don't need anymore right now", then "I might sell one and get a different", then "no I'll keep what I have and buy a cheap gun", and finally "ok, I'll just buy a good one and keep 'em all". They'll be worth more someday right? :banghead:

Seriously, guns are worse than a crack habbit!

Another thing, are the Redhawk and Super Redhawk/Alaskan esentially the same thing except the grip frame and barrel? I've never actually played with a Redhawk yet, just an Alaskan...

September 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
BigBlock, last weekend I finally picked up a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt that I ordered about a month ago. I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Redhawk. The DA trigger is surprisingly good and I like the way the front of the cylinder locks into the frame. The finish is just ok but it's functional and it's obvious that this revolver can take some punishment ... it's built like a tank! Are you considering the KRH-444? The Alaskan is a Super Redhawk without the barrel and SRHs have an extended frame, but other than that, SRHs and RHs are very similar.

:)

ArchAngelCD
September 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
Well thanks a lot!!!
I'm on a .45 Colt kick and you have to go and mention how good the new .45 Colt Redhawk is... ;)

Didn't feel bad BigBlock, we all have the same addiction to some extent. I happen to have a particularity sever case but I don't have the deep pockets to keep up with it!! I always say, "So many toys, so little money!"

Ben Shepherd
September 19, 2008, 03:12 PM
ArchAngel, how 'bout this nudge-

The 45 is lighter than the 44(bigger holes). AND you can meet or beat 44 balistics with a larger diameter slug and less recoil to boot.

Now what 'ya gonna do?

Personally, I don't have to pick one or the other, I have both.:neener:

critter
September 19, 2008, 06:37 PM
Had a Redhawk. Sold it and got the SBH Hunter model. Never looked back! Lighter, more accurate-at least for this pair, and I never did/have needed the double action.

September 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
I had a Redhawk, a Super Redhawk, and a Super Blackhawk. I now have only the Super Blackhawk of the three. It's just what works for me and you'd be well served with any of them, I just prefer the SA.

The Redhawk and the Super Redhawk/Alaskan are totally different designs, lockwork, grip and frame, about as Apples to Oranges a comparison as the Redhawk to Super Blackhawk.

george29
September 20, 2008, 12:43 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing this week, went to one of the big warehouse places and hit a few of the local shops. The Alaskan that I held feels lighter than my 5.5" SBH and was really nifty ($750) nobody seems to be able to get their jands on a 4" New Redhawk, they are going at premium prices when you find one. Decided I would stick with my SBH

mtngunr
September 20, 2008, 01:10 AM
My hand prefers the SA gripframe for bigbores...period....I've owned several Redhawks.....very durable, very accurate, very heavy, prone to misfires, especially in DA....

Majic
September 20, 2008, 01:56 AM
Why get rid of a gun that you LOVE for anything else? The RH may be just fine but if you find you still love the SBH then what are you going to do?

ArchAngelCD
September 20, 2008, 03:50 AM
Ben Shepherd,
The reason I said I'm on a .45 Colt kick is because I bought an "old" Bisley Vaquero a few months back. I really like this old revolver and I agree, it can be loaded hot. I don't think I'll push it hard though because I like this revolver so much I don't want to take a chance on messin it up! My reloads are pushing a 255gr LSWC ~1000 fps. If I can't get it done with that load it might not need doing! :p

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/Vaquero-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/Vaquero-2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/Vaquero-3.jpg

September 20, 2008, 05:30 AM
nobody seems to be able to get their jands on a 4" New Redhawk, they are going at premium prices when you find one.

I got my NIB Redhawk in .45 Colt for $637 with $20 shipping and no FFL fee!! I bought it from www.rugerpistols.com . They shipped it about a week after I ordered it!!

KRH-45-4 (http://www.rugerpistols.com/item/75421_Ruger_Hand_Guns_Pistols_RUG_KRH454____REDHWK_45C_.aspx)

The Redhawk and the Super Redhawk/Alaskan are totally different designs, lockwork, grip and frame, about as Apples to Oranges a comparison as the Redhawk to Super Blackhawk.

Well, I own a NEW Redhawk in .45 Colt and I've handled two NEW Super Redhawks in .45 Colt/.454 Casull and they look/feel very similar to my uncalibrated eyes/mits. Ruger doesn't seem to make any mention of the "significant" design differences that you mention. I would think they'd make a big deal out of the differences since the Super Redhawk is their flagship (most expensive) revolver.

Ruger Redhawk® double action revolvers in satin stainless finish offer the following design features:

** A choice of 4", 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel length.

** Rugged frame, designed specifically to handle powerful magnum loads, includes extra metal in top strap, sidewalls and barrel mounting areas.

** Patented single-spring mechanism for both hammer and trigger.

** KRH-444 features Hogue® rubber grip and is only available with a 4" barrel.

** Triple-locking cylinder is positively locked into the frame at the front, rear, and bottom for more positive alignment.

** Micro-adjustable rear sight; readily replaceable front sight.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan® double action revolvers provide the confidence of a six-shot cylinder in a size and weight that is practical enough to conveniently carry afield. Features include:

** 2 1/2" frame-integral barrels, available in .454 Casull and .45 Colt, and now .44 magnum.

** .454 Casull Super Redhawk Alaskans are the most compact revolvers available in these calibers.

** Super Redhawk Alaskan® feature satin finish stainless steel.

** Strong extended frame has extra metal in top strap, sidewalls and barrel mounting areas to handle the powerful .44 Magnum and.454 Casull cartridges.

** Patented single spring mechanism for both hammer and trigger.

** Triple-locking cylinder is positively locked into the frame at the front, rear, and bottom for more positive alignment.

** Peg-style grip frame easily accommodates custom grips.

** Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® helps cushion recoil.

September 20, 2008, 05:36 AM
ArchAngelCD, that really is a lovely revolver. Are you sold on the Bisley grip? From what I've read here, it's very comfortable to point and shoot. As for the Redhawk in .45 Colt, I have absolutely no regrets. It's a formidable revolver which is what I wanted since my plan is to shoot 300/350 grain hard cast bullets using H110 powder at about 1200 fps. Should be a lot of fun!! :D This definitely isn't a CC revolver but I think everyone knows that already.

Ben Shepherd
September 20, 2008, 09:12 AM
ArchAngelCD-

Looks like you're covered then.:D

And well, at that.

PennsyPlinker
September 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
1858, I am not ArchAngelCD, but I also picked up a used Bisley Vaquero a couple of months ago. I love the grip, and in fact, had been hunting for this specific gun for quite some time. You can get new Bisleys, and you can get new Vaqueros, but you can't get new Bisley Vaqueros! I like the grip because I have huge hands, and it fits me a lot better than a regular Blackhawk grip. Here are a couple of pictures I posted in another thread after I bought the thing. In the first one you can see the BV. In the second is a Ruger Single Six with the regular Blackhawk grip.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/PennsyPlinker/bisleyhandgrip.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/PennsyPlinker/singlesixhandgrip.jpg

I've been shooting the wienerized cowboy action loads out of the Vaquero, but I am going to load up some hotter ones, working my way up to "Ruger only" loads just to see how I like it. I doubt I will shoot them all the time, but I am sure I will shoot them some of the time. :D

goon
September 20, 2008, 12:47 PM
I like the Bisley grip frame better too. My hands aren't as big as PennsyPlinker's but they're big enough that I can't easily fit a Blackhawk grip frame. It's cramped enough that my middle finger gets bashed into the triggerguard during recoil. After that happens a couple times, accuracy and fun go right out the window.
No such problem with the Bisley or square triggerguard SBH grip frame.

But Bigblock states that he loves his 5.5inch SBH.
My experience is that if you love a gun that much, don't go trading it off to buy something else. Good guns that you like that much are few and far between. I think you should keep the SBH and save your pennies for a Redhawk.
Have a yardsale or scalp some football tickets but don't sell a gun you like.

SlamFire1
September 20, 2008, 01:55 PM
My first revolver was a 44 Mag Blackhawk. Bought it the first year they came out in stainless steel. Still have it, wonderful pistol.

Bought a Redhawk. What a tank. The thing was engineered for those who have absolute no sense or fear in reloading beyond maximum loads.

But, I have short fingers and find recoil unpleasant. I need rubber between the frame and my hand. The standard hardback of a Redhawk was just too painful for me.

Unfortunately the rubber grips made for the Redhawk were made for people with mutant mitts. The things were so large front to back that I could not establish a decent trigger position.

So I got rid of it.

If you are interested in one of these, handle them first. If you have long fingers, it might be the pistol for you.

I still have my Blackhawk.

BigBlock
September 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
You guys are no help at all. :neener: Now I need a Blackhawk and a Redhawk and a Super Redhawk .454 just for good measure. I'll be sending you all a bill. ;)

I just don't know, I need to go to the gun shop and molest one for a while. For some reason the local place I go never has any...

Shawnee
September 20, 2008, 08:14 PM
+1 for keeping your 5.5" SBH

Like others have said - never sell a gun you really like.

I've hunted with SBH's with 7.5" barrels for years and really like them but have been thinking seriously of getting a 5.5" model even though it would be an "extra" - like my four or five other "extra" handguns. :D

Good luck !

:cool:

Master Blaster
September 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
The Super redhawk has an extened frame, the redhawk does not. The Super redhawk has a two spring set up, mainspring and trigger return spring. Te redhawk has a one spring set up a much heavier mainspring only. This makes the Super redhawk much more tunable.

My hand prefers the SA gripframe for bigbores...period....I've owned several Redhawks.....very durable, very accurate, very heavy, prone to misfires, especially in DA....

My redhawkwent back to Ruger for this problem, but all is in spec!!!!! I like my 629s better, and they never misfire DA. My redhawk has 2 or three clicks per cylinder with the same ammo. It will only shoot federal primers 98%

I WOULD NEVER CARRY IT AS A DEFENSE GUN.

MCgunner
September 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
Think? I think if you trade that Blackhawk for a Redhawk, you're loony. :D Single actions are just SOOOO right for outdoor carry, lighter for their power, accurate, no need for DA in the gun at all as all shots will require single action precision. For me, at least, SA guns are faster out of the holster and on target, at least when the target requires a precision shot. Of course, I'm quite practiced drawing single action guns from leather. But, practice is fun. The SA guns is designed to be rapidly cocked on the draw.

But, some folks just don't like SA guns, prefer DA. Some don't like revolvers, prefer autos. Takes all kinds. Hell, I have DA guns and autos. I just like SAs for field uses in big calibers. I often carry DA .357s, so I'm not adverse to DA guns, just for a big gun, I went with a .45 Colt Blackhawk. I would like to add a .41 to my collection someday. I'm a bit odd, I guess. Don't even own a .44 mag.

mec
September 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
they are prone to misfire double action. Mine wouldn't crack cci primers but was ok with most factory loads. Hamilton Bowen identifies the problem as a firing pin that is too short and sells an aftermarket one to correct the problem. The frame fitting wood grips torture my hands but the rubber pachmeyers are comfortable with the heaviest loads. Redhawks are easy to shoot accurately double or single action.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64138&stc=1&d=1190066126

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64141&stc=1&d=1190066571

September 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
they are prone to misfire double action.

I've owned several Redhawks.....very durable, very accurate, very heavy, prone to misfires, especially in DA....

Now this IS worrying. :eek: I have a Colt Python (stainless, 4" barrel) and a S&W 629 ... both DA revolvers. I've never had a single misfire (FTF) in thousands of rounds, mostly reloads. When I started to research buying a .45 Colt DA revolver, I made it clear that I was considering the S&W 625 Mountain Gun and the Ruger Redhawk. The big consensus here was to buy a Ruger because it could handle the forces generated when shooting heavy loads whereas the S&W would fall apart. I think it was Stainz who mentioned that he'd got rid of his Ruger's due to numerous light strikes. Since he didn't have the newest Redhawk offering in .45 Colt, I felt that it was safe to assume that his past experiences would be just that ... in the past.

Are all of these misfires occurring with older DA Redhawks? Am I to believe that Ruger in it's infinite stupidity didn't address that SIGNIFICANT design flaw in the new Redhawk in .45 Colt (the model that I just bought)? As mentioned above, the Redhawk has a single spring for the hammer and trigger so was part of the reason for this to prevent misfires?

:confused:

September 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
The Super redhawk has a two spring set up, mainspring and trigger return spring. Te redhawk has a one spring set up a much heavier mainspring only. This makes the Super redhawk much more tunable.

Did you read Ruger's specifications for the Redhawk and Super Redhawk that I posted above?? :confused: Here it is again!!

** Patented single spring mechanism for both hammer and trigger.

Based on some of the posts here, I'm left wondering if Ruger actually knows ANYTHING about their own products!!

OK ... rather than be a total a$$ I thought I'd better post a couple of schematics from Ruger's instruction manuals for the Redhawk and Super Redhawk. Referring to the images below, I'm now left wondering if the Super Redhawk schematic is the newest model. It's clear that the Redhawk has one spring for the hammer and trigger (which acts as a trigger return spring as well) but how can Ruger claim "single spring mechanism for both hammer and trigger" based on the Super Redhawk schematic? It does look like there's a separate spring for the trigger return which Ruger refers to as a "trigger guard latch spring".

Anyway, my humblest apologies to Master Blaster.

mec
September 22, 2008, 06:23 PM
The problem has been known for several years and apparently ruger has decided that modifying the revolver is not worth their time.

george29
September 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
The problem has been known for several years and apparently ruger has decided that modifying the revolver is not worth their time.

Another good reason you just gave me to keep my SBH, thanks.

Legionnaire
September 22, 2008, 11:54 PM
BigBlock, I say keep the SBH since you like it so much. Take your time, save your pennies. When you've collected a stash, start looking for a second hand four-inch Redhawk. Buy it. Only when you've had both in the safe for a while should you even begin to think about selling one of them. But if you take your time, you'll keep both!

I had a 5.5" SBH that I sold to buy a RH. Instantly regretted it. After acquiring my RH (two, actually, a 4" and a 5.5") I eventually bought another SBH, which I have since converted to a Bisley (pic).

I know you said you can't afford both at the moment. But you also said you really like your SBH. So I say take your time and save for the RH. The RH is a great gun, but I suspect you'd regret giving up the SBH.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83549&d=1219544825

ArchAngelCD
September 23, 2008, 04:54 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Yes, I'm totally sold on the Bisley grip frame. Some people don't like it but I find it to be very comfortable to hold and shoot. It seem to aid in aiming and feels natural when pointing.

When it comes to SA revolvers I won't buy a "standard" grip unless I have no other choice.

cowboy68t1
September 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have a Super Blackhawk 10-1/2" and a Super Blackhawk Hunter 7-1/2". And two .357 Blackhawks a 6-1/2" and a 4-1/2". The three longer ones I have been using for hunting deer. Shots out past 100 yards are normal for were I hunt. Which is why I use a single action. Trying to pull the hammer back for that second shot using the trigger is going to cause some accuracy issue at those ranges. Even the guys I hunt with that have double action will not use it for long range follow up shots or even their first shots at short range. The reason they have double action is because it is fast to load and unload there guns. You do what you want if you plan to hunt with the gun I'd stick with single action. If you shoot paper or steel go with a double.

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag Redhawk vs Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!