Does Anyone Live In a Home That's in 2 States?Interesting Gun Law Scenarios.

PDA

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
Now if those 2 states are Montana and North Dakota you probably have few, if any problems.
But what if your living room is in Vermont and the back bedrooms are in Massachusetts?:uhoh:Wonder how the gun laws play out in these situations?
Does anywhere here live or know someone that lives in 2 states?Thousands do across the US.Bristol TN/VA is a well known example as is Kansas City KS/MO.
No rivers dividing,just imaginary lines.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does Anyone Live In a Home That's in 2 States?Interesting Gun Law Scenarios." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hook686
September 19, 2008, 02:08 AM
Must be pretty dull and boring in NC tonight.

Thernlund
September 19, 2008, 02:11 AM
The determining factor will be your address. That can't be in two states at once.

-T.

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 02:34 AM

Now that was cruel and true!It's always delightfully boring in the mountains.:D
What is your lively state Hook?Perhaps I should consider a move.
You must admit its a novel question though.Just jealous because I got to it first?:neener:

NavyLCDR
September 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
That depends:

If you leave your house via the front door into State A, then you have to purchase the gun in state a.

If you leave your house via the back door into State B, then you have to purchase the gun in state b.

If you left your house via the front into State A, and you subsequently find a gun you want to buy in state B, then you must re-enter your home via the front door from state A and exit it via the back door into State B.

:neener: DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

This reply is entirely in jest and not meant to be taken seriously by anyone!

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 03:23 AM
DISCLAIMER::neener: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

But Hook686 does.I can swear I saw him on Law and Order berating Fred Thompson.:cool:
Sounds like the best answer....so far.;)

Treo
September 19, 2008, 03:59 AM
I'm sure there are several farms and ranches on the CO/NEB border that are in both states CO is an open carry state & I don't think Neb. is so I could see some issues if you were carrying on your own land.

I think about half of the people that work at the Cabella's in Sidney Nebraska live in Colorado I imagine their income tax is a bear. & I suppose if they wanted to CC ( leagal in your car W/out permit in Co. not so in Neb.) they might have to get two permits.

Kind of Blued
September 19, 2008, 04:12 AM
Kansas & Missouri is an interesting example in that Missouri has half of Kansas City and half of St. Louis (theoretically, I know residents get uppity about this.)

I lived in Kansas City for 22 years but unfortunately didn't really get into guns until shortly before I moved.

Of the few things I noticed are the somewhat obvious ones. You'll hear the guys at the gun counter asking "Do you live in (whichever state the shop is in)?" when explaining how easy the paperwork is (or CAN be).

Kansas recently received their rights back in regard to NFA weapons and I believe Missouri followed in suit close behind them. Whether this was to fix the ridiculous idea that driving across the street with a suppressor in your car or because Missouri wised up in light of Kansas' changes, I don't know.

From what I know carry laws are quite similar but I would guess not exactly the same. Nevertheless, they both acknowledge each other's carry permits.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I moved to Colorado, found the laws to be pleasantly un-restrictive and settled down with a smile. :)

One interesting thing that I remember is that motorcyclists were required to wear a helmet in one state, but not the other. Consequently, you'd see a lot of guys riding in KS without a helmet, but one on the seat behind them.

fizik
September 19, 2008, 04:15 AM
well if we're considering the carry side of things, if the two states had reciprocity agreements i wouldn't see a problem. :shrug:

EOD Guy
September 19, 2008, 10:31 AM
I do know that military personnel stationed at Ft Campbell, KY can purchase firearms, including handguns, in both Ky and TN since since parts of the installation are in both states.

In any similar situation, I would ask BATF for an Opinion.

Chuck Spears
September 19, 2008, 10:51 AM
But what if your house sits on the Canadian or Mexican border?

SCKimberFan
September 19, 2008, 11:18 AM

Then I feel sorry for you, either way.

DC300a
September 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
I am with Thernlund.

Your address would determine what your actions should be.

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 11:29 AM
Your address would determine what your actions should be. I agree

Henry Bowman
September 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
Which state issued the building permit? And on what authority did they "permit" the construction in the other state?

csmkersh
September 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
If I lived in a house in Texarkana, I'd have a CHL from the state that my address says I'm in but the CHL would be recognized by both Texas and Arkansas.

SaxonPig
September 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have a primary residence and a PT residence in another state. I checked with the ATF and they recognize this situation and say that I am considered a resident in both states for purposes of buying and selling guns and I have bought and sold guns in both states without a peep from dealers or the ATF. All you need is a state issued ID and in one state I have a driver's license and in the other a state issued ID card.

Hook686
September 19, 2008, 04:56 PM
Yesterday, 11:34 PM #4

Duke Junior wrote:

Quote:

Now that was cruel and true!It's always delightfully boring in the mountains.
What is your lively state Hook?Perhaps I should consider a move.
You must admit its a novel question though.Just jealous because I got to it first?

Hi Duke .... I live in exciting California .... nothing ever gets dull and boring around here ... except maybe the state budget. My apology if it seemed cruel ... it was not so intended.

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Duke .... I live in exciting California .... nothing ever gets dull and boring around here ... except maybe the state budget. My apology if it seemed cruel ... it was not so intended.

No need to apologize at all Hook.I took it in the spirit of good fun!:)
I lived in your beautiful State for 4 years(San Francisco and Castro Valley)and have many fond memories.
Aside from the politics,to me ,the people are the friendliest and the scenery is the most fabulous.And I've been in every state but Hawaii.
The Golden State will always be wonderful to this guy.Regards.

ilbob
September 19, 2008, 06:15 PM
I seem to recall hearing about a story a long time ago about a house that is partially in IL and partially in WI. Been a long time so do not recall much about it.

Artiz
September 19, 2008, 06:36 PM
If your house sits right on the border, I feel sorry for you, but because it is a clear separation between the two sides (checked on google map, it's a road/clear separation between two places/bridge/etc), I don't think you can have your "house" righ on the line, maybe just close to (checked on google map).
Anyway, if your place is IN U.S, I mean your adress (papers, etc), but you are really close to Canada, then just go to the lowest priced wally-world, the only difference will be ammo and rifle in one, but fishing stuff in the other XD.
I would really like to be righ on the line, would be cool, :D.

Edit: I see a clear cut between Canada and U.S, a straight line, cut trees, there is probably the longest ATV trail lol, so yes it's a straight line (for the biggest part), and it's clearly visible, looks like 10m large.

Badlander
September 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
I was in A bar in two counties in Tennesee. After midnight and sundays you had to stay in one side of the building.
Does this count?

ZDavidoff
September 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
a house that is partially in IL and partially in WI

Either way you're screwed as far as gun laws go. No CC, need a FOID to buy ammo, and your weapons will start getting gunked up with cheddar.

Aguila Blanca
September 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
Your address would determine what your actions should be.
I disagree.

It affects schools, not guns, but we have a small subdivision a couple of miles from me that's in the next town. The town line is a small river, which runs parallel to a state highway that (at that point) is in my town. The only access into the subdivision is from the state road, so their address is in my town.

However, their property is located 100 percent in the next town, they pay 100 percent of their taxes to the next town, and their kids attend school in the next town.

I have also heard of situations in Vermont and New Hampshire where kids can choose where they attend school according to which room of the house they sleep in. The determining factor isn't your address, it's where you pay your taxes. If the house itself (not just the land) actually straddles the town line, you pay taxes in both towns and you get to choose which one to use for what purpose.

almostfree
September 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
I think you would definately be subject to the laws of the state you are currently in, even if that means you are subject to the gun laws of Mass. in one room and the gun laws in Vermont of another.

Boundaries are boundaries and there are no exeptions. If you are definately inside of a state you are definately subject to its laws.

Can you say beyond a reasonable doubt where the state line is if it is not a physical feature or monumented? I don't think you could unless you are a surveyor.

I have done surveys that were in two different counties. Unless it is a physical feature or it has been monumented, you can only really approximate the line. Also, it may be a straight line in theory, but not in reality.

Now in practice, I doubt it would ever be an issue. You might have a problem if you house was half in VA and half in DC though.

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 07:12 PM
I was in A bar in two counties in Tennesee. After midnight and sundays you had to stay in one side of the building.
Does this count?

Oh,absolutely.This is a perfect 10!:D
We'll forget about state lines here.County lines count too.

Aguila Blanca
September 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
You might have a problem if you house was half in VA and half in DC though.
Indeed you might. Your house would be in the middle of the Potomac River, and the basement would probably have a heckuva dampness problem.

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think you would definately be subject to the laws of the state you are currently in, even if that means you are subject to the gun laws of Mass. in one room and the gun laws in Vermont of another.

Boundaries are boundaries and there are no exeptions. If you are definately inside of a state you are definately subject to its laws.

So you are saying, as you pass from the Vermont living room, where a 16 year old or younger can carry, to leave all your firearms there ,and proceed to the Massachusetts bedrooms unarmed, when you retire for the night?
I think I'd re-arrange my house.:D

Officers'Wife
September 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
Even more interesting would be a house on the Indiana/Illinois line. Would you be required to have an FOID? If you bought five cartoons of cigarettes in Indiana and carried them to the living room in Illinois would you be smuggling?

The most interesting question though, would each state tax your home on the real and whole value of your house or just the part that is actually in each state? Or if your garage is in a county with no 'wheel tax' and your driveway in a county that does are you responsible for the tax? Or for that matter if your farm is in Indiana and your storage buildings in Illinois which state would have the proper claim to inventory and road use fuel taxes? Likewise if your fields are in Indiana and your office in Illinois would your employees state taxes withheld go to Springfield or Indianapolis?

Since law and tax questions tend to give me a headache it would be worth the cost to move the house however many feet across the line.

Officers'Wife
September 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Henry Bowman,
Which state issued the building permit? And on what authority did they "permit" the construction in the other state?

What about a case such as the old Karlock ranch on the IN/IL line when the structures were built before zoning and building permits were needed? If what Gramps told me was correct Karlock could make improvements under permit from either county(state) and the other would have to honor it under the grandfather clause.

Selena

Claude Clay
September 19, 2008, 08:19 PM
ct/ma-- land is taxed by both. state residance (and the house part of the tax)is determined by the bedroom. schools by past attendance with a default to the prop tax state--unless a special needs lives in that house. than both states fight that its the other's responsibility. it was in the local papers recently.

Hk91-762mm
September 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
I used to race at a track called STATE LINE SPEED WAY Half Of the track was in NY half In Pa .
They could only sell beer on the NY side --You could easily tell what side was NY !!!!!

.cheese.
September 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
that's actually a neat question and I hadn't thought about the possibility.

Deep fried noodles for tonight.

Duke Junior
September 19, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you all for the interesting responses.
I am headed for Yankee Stadium in The Bronx in the morning.
The next to the last game in the storied 85 year old Stadium's history.
Of course being NYC,I'm going unarmed.
But being a lifetime Yankee hater and them almost eliminated from the playoffs for the first time since 1993, I'm exhilarated.
Now ,if I can just survive the bus and subway back and forth to LaGuardia,I got it made.A one day deal.
Please wish me luck.:)

Avenger
September 19, 2008, 11:05 PM
If you want to really complicate things, there is a city, Baarle, on the Belgian/Netherlands border that has been passed back and forth between the countries in various wars so many times that there are bits and pieces of each country scattered all over the city. Most are small neighborhoods, but some of the enclaves are single houses and even parts of houses. In one house, you can take three steps and cross an international border twice.

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2008, 03:49 AM
The most interesting question though, would each state tax your home on the real and whole value of your house or just the part that is actually in each state?
Despite what one previous poster encountered, we have that situation in the town were I work. It's not a house, actually, it's a small college's theater and gymnasium building. The town line runs right through the building, and the assessors of the two towns have dutifully measured out the square footage of the building on each side of the line and apportioned the assessed value accordingly. The other town got the swimming pool but we got the filtration equipment.

Thernlund
September 20, 2008, 04:52 AM
The determining factor isn't your address, it's where you pay your taxes.

Huh? You're thinking to hard. Your home address is on your drivers license. Try buying a gun or getting a carry permit is the state A when your home address is in state B.

Easy. See? :rolleyes:

-T.

Catherine
September 20, 2008, 05:25 AM
Have fun in New York! Stay safe.

Catherine

U.S.SFC_RET
September 20, 2008, 05:48 AM
On the Mason-Dixon line between Maryland and Pennsylvania, its been told to me you are taxed where you lay your head. Now concerning gun laws I assume its the address.

Duke Junior
September 21, 2008, 12:26 AM
Have fun in New York! Stay safe.
Catherine

Thank you,Catherine!Just got back to my mountain hideout from New York a hour ago.
Total madness in The Bronx ,with wall to wall cops everywhere, the subway,the streets converging around the Stadium and park itself.Didn't know whether to feel relieved or to start thinking that I was really in Moscow!
Very unnerving, weird feeling for a guy who carries 24/7 to be unarmed.But history was being made so it was worth it.
Only downer:Yanks win 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth.
54,7O5 insane people on hand.Memories are made of this!:)

Catherine
September 21, 2008, 03:15 AM
Great to hear that you got home safely.

It sounds like an 'interesting' trip. Grin.

I knew of a man who was from NW Ohio, born/raised on a farm, who moved to WY for some work. Eventually he moved back to Ohio to live on the FARM but he worked in Indiana. At the time, Ohio had NO CCW because of the lying, RINO Gov. Taft. (This was changed later on - they did get CCW.) The man drove over the IN line and loaded his gun for the rest of his drive. He drove home and right before he had to cross the OH line, he stopped and did his 'duty' unloading his gun and so forth. When he got to his rural farm home... he LOADED up his gun again. Stinks, eh?

He may move back out west when he retires and the move BACK east was due to 'work'. I don't know if his job is still there or not - the way things are in this country. I have not spoken or written to him in some time... several years. I lost contact with beaucoup people before and after my move out west. I was offline and later on... barely ONLINE!

This man was a very nice PRO gun man - that was his situation.

I think that this is an interesting question and thread.

Same as when you lived in MD, crossed through D.C., go to VA to live as a USN Bride = me. Back and forth from VA to MD. Of course, those gun laws were VERY different way back when too - Vietnam era.

Side note: I don't follow sports and/or RARELY follow sports, NO offense to anyone, but I do UNDERSTAND baseball and used to play it some as a kid/teen. I like baseball, sail and power boating, some ice skating, tennis and SWIMMING - the most. Splash! My older brother used to play baseball and he is still active in some sports in his middle/late 60's. I used to make chili and had the coffee pot going, at my former house back east, so my late husband and his friends could watch some 'sports' on television. He liked some sports but was not a sports 'nut' and we had a large portable tv - not into the boob tube that much. I never did understand most sports including football. I did TRY to understand and be interested but I did not enjoy it at all - football. Baseball made sense to me. Ha ha. I used to follow the Yankees, the Orioles and when I was a KID - the Colts and some NY teams were famous in football but football never interested me. I did like to see the ARMY and NAVY football game once a year and enjoyed the MUSIC in the middle of the game - half-time (?). Other than that famous Army/Navy game... I could care less and left the 'den' to the guys. NO offense to football fans.

I am glad that you got to go and be at the famous stadium! Did you eat a Nathan's hot dog? Ice water and a Nathan's - yummy! I would have liked to go to the game just because it was 'history' as you did. Pretty COOL if you ask me! ; . )

Catherine

Chisel Head
September 21, 2008, 06:21 AM
An acquaintance of mine left Michigan and ended up in Texarkana, Texas which is attached to Texarkana, Arkansas.
I went to visit and he had a 44 Magnum Mark V rifle. We went out looking for boars. None to be found. So, we ended up shooting other inanimate objects.
The guy was shacked up with one of the locals and I gave him my King James edition. Thereafter, he became a thumper. And when he came back to visit, he was a completely different person and even a nice guy.
We used to get television from nearby Shriveport, Louisiana. The anchorwomen were extremely attractive.
I didn't like that part of the country, though. Much preferred west Texas

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 21, 2008, 10:26 AM

Yet YOU replied to the thread. :p :neener:

Duke Junior
September 21, 2008, 02:16 PM
I am glad that you got to go and be at the famous stadium! Did you eat a Nathan's hot dog? Ice water and a Nathan's - yummy! I would have liked to go to the game just because it was 'history' as you did. Pretty COOL if you ask me! ; . )
Catherine

2 Nathan's Catherine,but no ice water.2 beers,one for each dog.:)
I am very happy to be home,although exhausted.That was a long 18 hour day!
Feels good to be carrying again,too.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Does Anyone Live In a Home That's in 2 States?Interesting Gun Law Scenarios." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!