44 Mag Brass too short

PDA

Quigley
September 19, 2008, 09:33 AM
My friend has a T/C G2 in 44 Mag and is not satisfied with his groups at 50 yards yet. We were looking last night and the chamber length is ridiculous in this barrel. Looks like a 2 3/4" shotshell in a 3 1/2 barrel. I have a Remintom 700 22-250 that I have to seat the bullet right up close to the rifling to get groups I am satified with. Would there be any benifit to lengthening his C.O.L?
No kidding we would have to lengthen the round approx. 3/8" to even be close to the throat!

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag Brass too short" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
September 19, 2008, 11:52 AM
Your comparing apples to oranges with the 22-250 vs 44 Remag and their leade to the rifling. He can try loading a heavier bullet in the 44 which will set closer to the rifling, if he reloads. The unacceptable accuracy may be just finding the right load for that gun, be it factory or handloads.

NCsmitty

snuffy
September 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
So which is it? Your title of this thread leads us to believe the chamber is cut too long. Then you mention lead into the rifling. If the chamber is indeed too long, then TC WILL make it right.

Since this is a single shot, if you're handloading these, you can seat out beyond the crimp grove to get closer to the rifling. But not by much. i agree with smitty, load development is going to be the secret here.

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag Brass too short" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!