I'm looking for an aftermarket bull barrel ..

PDA

Sylvan-Forge
September 19, 2008, 01:23 PM
.. and I'm not finding any that have the locking bolt pre-installed or the holes drilled. Looks like anyone who offers to install match/ppc bull barrels use a crane/yoke lock instead of the locking bolt (mechanical lock at front of ejector rod).

Sooooo.... any idears?

Maybe I ought to just pick up the phone, but I'd like to hear what yall have to say first.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm looking for an aftermarket bull barrel .." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
September 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
you had me confused at first: "lockin bolt" usually refers to the piece that locks the cylinder into position.

i gather that you're talking about the "detent" for the front of the ejector rod.

most smiths who offer a match/PPC barrel use the crane/yoke retention piece because it's stronger and provides a more consistent lockup of the crane to the frame...why go with a weaker lockup when you have a chance to do away with it?

Sylvan-Forge
September 20, 2008, 01:34 AM
I'm using the terminology from the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual. I think Numrich calls it the 'locking bolt' as well. Not sure what S&W calls it.

I'm not seeing the benefit of the yoke/crane ball-lock jobber. It just looks to me like the quick and easy way out.

One thing I see is that in the case of a hard drop on the right side it could lessen the severity of distortion/bend on the ejector rod and center pin, though it could allow more torsion, hence damage, on the yoke.
The functionality would probably be just as buggered, either way, but it might be easier to repair.

How about using the firing hand to push out the cylinder (while going for the reload with the left)? Won't it snap open more abruptly with the crane lock whereas the traditional setup will be more controlled or at least less violent?

Anyhoo, color me unconvinced.

9mmepiphany
September 20, 2008, 02:01 AM
having the forward crane lockup is more stable...think shorter leverage...and wasn't used because it is more expensive to produce...think extra machining.

when reloading, the preferred method is to push the cylinder out of the window with the support hand...using the fingers and thumb to support the cylinder. the firing hand reaches for the speedloader while the support hand brings the gun to the vertical getting ready for ejection

Sylvan-Forge
September 20, 2008, 02:28 AM
Aye, I do see it would be more stable as long as the spring is healthy.
Also it might allow safe firing if the ejector is bent a bit out past the cylinder, where the locking bolt would induce cylinder misalignment.

Seems to me it would be more intensive to get everything aligned just so (barrel torque, front sight, underlug) with the common locking bolt setup over the crane lock setup.

That's an efficient way, but I don't do it like that :o
(Maybe I'll practice that way some more and see if I change me ways)

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm looking for an aftermarket bull barrel .." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!