Best value per dollar handguns in the under $300 range?

PDA

JonF
September 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
I've decided to pick up a few more handguns with my remaining pistol purchase permits and have set some criteria for such. I'm curious to know what options there are out there for the $300 or under range that really give you the best value for your dollar. The guns can be new or used, pistol or revolver and should be considered to be examples of some degree of desirability (ie. quality, collectability, historic, etc). There are only a couple exceptions and that is no junk guns and no mouse guns or derringers. One item already on my list is a surplus SIG P6. I think its a fine example of a compact pistol and falls perfectly in the price range. I know there will be countless candidates out there in the used market that qualify just on price alone, but i'm really looking for ones with some exceptional quality--ones that truly give you the most value for your money.

my list of possibilties:
- Sig P6 surplus
- CZ 82 makarov

If you enjoyed reading about "Best value per dollar handguns in the under $300 range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tinygnat219
September 19, 2008, 02:58 PM
Strike Taurus off your list since you aren't considering Junk Guns.

Some other options include Kel-Tec.

Hoppy590
September 19, 2008, 03:15 PM
Sig P6

SW Sigma

the sigma gets a bad rep but they always go bang and if you can deal with the heavy pull its a good buy

Khyron
September 19, 2008, 03:27 PM
Surplus Walther P1 HERE (http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=3055)

These even have the hex reinforcement pin or whatever its called. Supposed to be desirable if to be used as a shooter.

Or I could sell you my old Sigma 380 for, I don't know, 299.99? :evil:

pinstripe
September 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
The best value is in the god awfully ugly Hi-points. At last weekends gunshow they were selling them for $119. They are chunky and blocky, but they are reliable and cheap. I have had several, including the carbines, and they are as reliable as a sharp stick. Just got to get over the fugly looks and chunky feel.

Snapping Twig
September 19, 2008, 03:55 PM
Something used.

Plenty of high quality rigs to select from. Estate sales, thinning collections, etc.

New... not so much for under $300 IMO.

buck460XVR
September 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
The guns can be new or used, pistol or revolver and should be considered to be examples of some degree of desirability (ie. quality, collectability, historic, etc).

for under $300? :eek:

you state that you'd like to buy "a few more" handguns, so I'm assuming you mean more than two. It's just my humble opinion, but I'd prefer a coupla quality handguns that will hold their value and be a pleasure to shoot, than a whole fistfull of P.O.S. ones. I know some say those with the most toys wins, but it don't count if the toys are junk.

porterdog
September 19, 2008, 04:12 PM
CDNN seems to have stupid good deals every now and then... You should be able to find a Mark I or II Ruger rimfire in that range too- they're terrific.

jjohnson
September 19, 2008, 04:16 PM
Oh, treat yourself to a Makarov. They're still plenty cheap, as is Mak ammo if you like milsurp, or .380 if you want a conversion. They are well made, very reliable, compact, sturdy, and all that. Some history (like being made in a country that doesn't exist anymore, like East Germany) can be had.

They don't tend to be beautifully finished - they are functional military sidearms.
I shoot mine in .380 a lot - thousands of rounds a year - and it'll outshoot a lot of other milsurp handguns I've had over the ages. You'll find it's pretty concealable for a "military sidearm" even if it doesn't have the "cool" :cool:of a P38 or CZ52 (both of which are good to play with, too, by the way).

JonF
September 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
you state that you'd like to buy "a few more" handguns, so I'm assuming you mean more than two. It's just my humble opinion, but I'd prefer a coupla quality handguns that will hold their value and be a pleasure to shoot, than a whole fistfull of P.O.S. ones. I know some say those with the most toys wins, but it don't count if the toys are junk.

I'm not really looking to stockpile a bunch of guns just for the sake of it and i'm definitely in it to be a collector of any sort either. I'm just looking for good, yet somewhat inexpensive examples that i can actually use. I do appreciate quality and my current pistol selection are decent shooters, IMHO (CZ75 custom, DW PM7, Buckmark target). I'm not adverse to spending some money to get a quality product but there's also a wealth of stuff like the items mentioned in this thread that are good examples of quality firearms that can be had at a discount for reasons of surplus, age or otherwise. Certainly not looking for any POS jam-o-matic's or kaboom prone guns either.

mr.72
September 19, 2008, 04:33 PM
+1 on S&W Sigma, but under $300 is not easy with that gun.

Maybe a Ruger LCP.

Maybe some other CZ Surplus guns.

buck460XVR
September 19, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not adverse to spending some money to get a quality product but there's also a wealth of stuff like the items mentioned in this thread that are good examples of quality firearms that can be had at a discount for reasons of surplus, age or otherwise.

JonF......Quality is a very relative term.....one man's trash is another man's treasure. Good luck with your search.

seeker_two
September 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
Rugers...esp. used Rugers....you have to load rounds with C4 to break a Ruger...and they'll function well with those, too... :D

wnycollector
September 19, 2008, 05:31 PM
CZ40b's at CDNN are $289. My 40b will out shoot 2 of my 3 SIGs and eat ANY trype of ammo I feed it! As far as durability, Burningsquirrels has over 10000 rounds though his 40b and it is just getting broken in!

Rmart30
September 19, 2008, 07:29 PM
I bought a LE trade in model 65 S&W for under $300 with shipping and feel like it was a good purchase.... Nice well built gun and hard as heck to ever wear it out if you take care of it.

Hoppy590
September 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
+1 on S&W Sigma, but under $300 is not easy with that gun.

huh. i can get them 275-300 on a regular day, all day long

on a sale day, i can get it straight from Smith and Wesson retail center for 300

as for the walther P1's OMEGA weapon systems has them too. last i heard. 250$

orionengnr
September 19, 2008, 10:35 PM
If I were in your shoes, the first $300 pistol I'd be looking for would be a Ruger MkII. Reliable, good shooters that take cheap ammo. I take mine to the range weekly, and it has paid for itself several times over in encouraging me to put rounds downrange regularly and focus on the fundamentals.

Any S&W revolver that you can purchase for under $300 is almost guaranteed to be a bargain. At this price point, expect wear/finish issues. If it functions correctly, consider the wear to be "character". :)

The LCP is a new, quality CCW weapon that is worth the price of admission. You will have to work to find one under $300, but it can be done. I've seen two in the last month, and bought one. Having owned (and sold) four Kel-Tecs, the LCP has twice the value and quality (especially functional reliablility) at only a 25-50% premium.

As far as the Hi-Points go, I would not feel compelled to add one to my collection, unless my collection consisted of pointy sticks and a stone ax. The Hi-Point would be an improvement at that point. They are like a mobile home--better than sleeping under a bridge, but will only lose value. Not a snob, just a realist. Spend your money on something that will maintain it's value.

Taurus--maybe. I've owned one good Taurus revolver (right at the $300 price point) and sold it to a good friend. I miss it (M-431, blued 44 Spl) and he allows me to carry it when I visit him. I -might- buy another. I would be -very- careful, as I have examined a lot of used Taurus revolvers and pistols at gun shows and (as yet) never been tempted to buy another. Again, not snobbery, but a careful evaluation of cost/value.

The pickings in the $300 range can be kind of slim. If you can move up to $400, a whole other world of choices emerges....

JImbothefiveth
September 19, 2008, 10:42 PM
I started a thread sort of like this, and one of the names that came up was the S&W model 10.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
Yep....

Makarov
CZ40B
PA-63
CZ 52
Bersa Thunder

And I dunno if you can still get a P6 for under $300, but if you can, that's a steal for sure.

Aka Zero
September 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
P-6, heard great things, want one myself.

I am probably going to end up buying a lot of the mkarov styled guns. And they are around $200 still.

Picked up a FEG high power (FP9) for under $300, but that was a find.

Mike J
September 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
Went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago. Man tried to sell me a like new Sig P-225 for $275.00. There are deals out there just get out & look pawn shops, estate sales, gun shows. Just depends on how much you want to look.

chipperi
September 20, 2008, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't consider Taurus a "Junk Gun" at all as a matter of fact I was going Monday to trade a 2nd gen G17 for a Taurus PT145 or PT745 for daily carry. They are right at the edge of your limit 300 to 350. .45acp, second chance trigger, reliable, I have a PT92 in the safe that has probably 1000s of rounds with no failures. But please don't push a good gun to the wayside on one persons opinion.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 20, 2008, 10:39 PM
Agreed; Taurus is not junk at all - IMO. But it's also not under $300 (if buying new) - which is why it was not on my list.

glk23
September 21, 2008, 12:27 AM
A couple of years ago I got a barely used CZ75BD for 300 OTD. Like someone above said, there are great deals out there if you are willing to look around for them.

Prepster
September 21, 2008, 12:37 AM
I'd say get a 1851 Colt Navy reproduction, which can be found for well under $300.

If bp isn't for you the Makarov you mentioned will do just fine.

gidaeon
September 21, 2008, 12:39 AM
used 3rd gen. S&W semi-auto?

woad_yurt
September 21, 2008, 12:50 AM
Give a good listen to the Makarov guys. They know something.

onebigelf
September 21, 2008, 08:56 AM
+1 on the ruger .22 if you don't already have one. NOTHING beats regular practice. The ruger is accurate and reliable and fun to shoot. At <$15 a bulk pack for ammo you can shoot enough to really get good and stay that way. I have a range at home and shoot every evening after work unless I'm traveling. Rolaids are fun targets.

John

carlrodd
September 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
Just picked up a used s&w 915. Excellent condition. Pristine barrel. 299. It pays to sniff around.

swampshooter
September 21, 2008, 11:00 AM
Taurus might not be junk, but their quality certainly leaves something to be desired and warranty service typically takes in excess of 6 months.

Lex
September 21, 2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

If you're looking for a good pre-owned Glock, I've heard many good things about these guys...

MCgunner
September 21, 2008, 12:25 PM

Some other options include Kel-Tec.

Well, most Tauri aren't under 300 anymore, but at half the price of the junky Smiths, they're better guns than a Smith and Wesson. I have three and I'd be happy to do some pepper popper competition with you any ol' time. I take pleasure in outshooting Smith koolaid drinkers with my M66. :D

I have one I bought, a 4" nickel, that shoots under 2" at 50 yards with either .38 or .357 loads. It's smoother DA than my M10 Smith and lighter SA and more accurate and cost me $197 at a gun show. Tight as new, perfect in every functional way and good lookin' to boot. I have an older 3" 66 I carry often that is only slightly less accurate mainly do to the reduced sight radius I reckon, but still very accurate and easier to carry concealed. It's about as easy to carry as my SP101 was and has an extra round on tap. Talk about your bargains, I gave $180 for it at a gun show. It's thanks to the internet genius Taurus bashers, I'm convinced, that such bargains exist. Thank you guys for helping me find such deals on such great shootig guns! I really appreciate it. I have more I want in the future. Keep it up, guys!

There are plenty of geniuses that bash Kel Tec, too, but I have one that has fired 5 figures worth of practice rounds without a hitch, a P11. Fantastic little pocket defense auto. Never been one to listen to the internet geniuses. I think half of 'em smoke crack.

Here's a brace of fine shooting, well built Taurus revolvers who's combined cost is 480 bucks. Of course, the little M85SSUL I bought new 12 years ago, has gone up a bit.

Ohio Rifleman
September 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
Sig P6s can still be had for under $300. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sig_Sauer_P225_P6_9mm_Pistol.html

Though it'll probably be over that once you factor in shipping and FFL fees. Maybe get yourself a Nagant revolver...less than $100.

Quiet
September 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
surplus CZ-82.

Tactical Rancher
September 22, 2008, 12:21 AM
I just went through this search with a friend. My favorite results were the sub-$300 Ruger Security (and Speed) Sixes. See thread here:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=385522

makarovnik
September 22, 2008, 12:28 AM
http://www.geocities.com/sherlock5754/img2.gif

.45 acp brand new $150 OTD.

evan price
September 22, 2008, 02:03 AM
Sig P6 as you already know.
S&W model 10 revolvers as was already mentioned.
Bersa .380.
A Star Model B 9mm if any are still out there.
Ballister-Molina .45 if any are out there still.

gotime242
September 22, 2008, 12:12 PM
What place has Makarovs in stock right now?

NG VI
September 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
Cz 40b

Quoheleth
September 22, 2008, 12:25 PM
Bersa - new or used, various models
Taurus PT92 - used
Rock Island GI 1911 (new will be over $300; shop hard and you might find a used one near your price)
Browning Buckmark (I prefer it to the Ruger - YMMV)
Taurus Millenium Pro
Taurus 24/7

Sadly, most people seem to think their used Sigmas should be priced higher than new ones at Academy (which are right at the $300 mark)

Q

chupacabrah
September 22, 2008, 04:48 PM
all of the ones on my "list" have already been mentioned:

CZ82
P6
RIA 1911
CZ40b

but I'll add the hi-point or kel-tec 9mm carbine... $200-300 :D

I'm just trying to decide which ORDER to get all of these in. :evil: suggestions?

golden
September 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
In the under $300.00 range, you can get at least 2 new pistols in my area:

RUGER P-89

SMITH & WESSON Sigma

Both of the above pistols are available at for @ $289.00 brand new at a range in TAMPA,FL.

If I were going to spend the money, I would also look at the STOEGER Cougar8000 and 8040.

I am not fond of the handling of the RUGER. I had a P-90 and it had a lot of muzzle rise.

I have shot the Sigma and the new ones seem to be pretty much the equal of the GLOCK 17.

I know both the RUGER and Sigma have gotten contracts through the U.S. military to be supplied to the AFGHANISTAN and IRAQ forces.

Jim

paradox998
September 22, 2008, 07:24 PM
I would look for a used CZ-75B. Picked one up last week for $285. Great guns, good shooters, reasonable ammo - 9mm.

wyocarp
September 22, 2008, 07:38 PM
There are some of us that do consider Taurus' junk guns.

Yo Mama
September 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
But they are not! :)

wuluf
September 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
I've seen lightly used XD40s for around $300.

Dr_2_B
September 22, 2008, 08:19 PM
makarov. sweet accurate pistols. from a by-gone era.

wyocarp
September 22, 2008, 08:24 PM
They are.

chupacabrah
September 22, 2008, 09:08 PM
They are.

this isn't a hate thread. nor are generalizations EVER completely true.

wyocarp
September 22, 2008, 10:07 PM
wasn't meant to be hateful. Just in fun.

XD-40 Shooter
September 22, 2008, 10:35 PM
Its a little more than $300, but I have to recommend the Taurus Mil-Pro series, Bud's gun shop has them for $319. I have a PT-140 pro that has been 100% through 5000 rounds, mostly my reloads, zero failures. The sights are big and easy to see, it fits my hand great, recoil isn't bad, and its accurate. I love it.

chupacabrah
September 23, 2008, 07:32 AM
wasn't meant to be hateful. Just in fun.
gotcha, I must have just read it wrong. ;)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 23, 2008, 08:58 AM
There are some of us that do consider Taurus' junk guns.

Yes, there are a fair number of you uninformed, wrong, gun snobs. We're aware. :p :)

psyopspec
September 23, 2008, 03:55 PM
I picked up a SIG P6 two days ago. Probably the best deal I've ever found on a pistol. Lots of holster wear, but it looks practically new on the inside. Ran 200 rounds through it yesterday without a hiccup. The P6 is real easy to like.

wilder
September 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Lots of options under $300:

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sigma__199.html

wilder
September 23, 2008, 04:29 PM
I now see that Lex beat me to it. Sorry for the redundancy!

kamagong
September 23, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'd get myself a Ruger Mark III if I had $300 to spend on a handgun. It's a good, accurate handgun that should last you the rest of your life as long as you take care of it. And since it's a .22 it'll get a lot of use.

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
September 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
Got my single six 22/22mag for 329 a year ago new.

wyocarp
September 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
It's probably most of us who like premium revolvers and Glocks that think Taurus guns are junk.

And I have no problem being called a snob.

foghornl
September 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
I don't own one, but I have shot several of the Bersa models. For me, they put the lead where I point, and go Bang! on request every time.

Same with the Hi-Point offerings. They go Bang! on request everytime, and put the lead where you aim...Pig-Butt-Stuck-in-a-Mud-Fence-Ugly, though, while the Bersas are more Aesthetically Pleasing

Cliff47
September 24, 2008, 10:01 AM
A while back, I stopped by a local gun shop and found a used FM Hi-Power for $212 out the door. The Argentine clone of the Belgian product became the base for one very accurate project pistol.

mr.72
September 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a cheapskate with nearly everything I own. From what I can tell, between used guns and some quality new guns with lifetime warranties, you can buy a variety of well-made, quality firearms from reputable makers for $300.

I think the >$300 guns are much like >$20,000 cars.

ryuu55
September 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have enjoyed my Taurus PT 145 Mil Pro (3rd Gen), its been a really good gun so far (good enough i picked up a s/s PT1911 too @ Bud's Gun Shop). I picked it (Mil Pro) up at Academy Sport for $299

Smaug
September 24, 2008, 10:54 PM
I just sold my Stainless Ruger P90 to a guy for $250. It was accurate, durable, reliable, the works. That is a good buy.

I picked up a clean used Bersa 380 for $150, and that was an outstanding buy. Reliable, accurate, and just the right size for smaller hands.

I'd skip the CZ82, based on the comments of a member named PSP over on The Firing Line. He has one of these (but the 83, in 380) I asked him to compare it to the Beretta Cheetahs and Browning BDAs, and he said they both shoot well, but the CZ "feels like it was made in a tractor factory" whereas the Beretta "feels like it was made by gunmakers who have been doing it for a while." A lot of surplus guns are going to be like that.

Another thought is to spend the $900 on one gun. There is no time limit to "fill your permits" is there?

John Wayne
September 24, 2008, 11:27 PM
I have 350 rounds through my Taurus Millenium Pro (only had it two weeks). The only failure I have had of any kind was a WWB round which failed to go off.

I kept it pointed down range and pulled the trigger (which had reverted to DA) again. Nothing happened. I pulled it once more and BANG! I guess the second (or third) strike thing really does work.

I have been quite impressed with the quality of this pistol. It's not perfect, but it comes with a mirror-polished feed ramp, good quality magazines, serrated quick-aquisition sights (Heine Straight-8), a loaded chamber indicator, double-strike capability, and a manual safety. I have fed this pistol several different types of ammunition, FMJ and JHP, in weights from 165-180 grains and it has fed, fired, and ejected all of them flawlessly regardless of it being held two-handed or limp-wristed.

Also, for being a sub-compact pistol, it still packs 10+1 rounds (in .40 or .45, 12+1 rounds in 9mm, .380, or .32) of ammo. It also allows you to get all four fingers on the grip. The controls are well-positioned and the controls are well-contoured.

I have seen the blued models selling for as low as $329.

wyocarp
September 24, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have 350 rounds through my Taurus Millenium Pro...

I kept it pointed down range and pulled the trigger (which had reverted to DA) again. Nothing happened. I pulled it once more and BANG! I guess the second (or third) strike thing really does work.

I'm glad this is not my experience with any of my guns. But then, I don't own any semi-auto Taurus handguns.

John Wayne
September 25, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'm glad this is not my experience with any of my guns. But then, I don't own any semi-auto Taurus handguns.

I don't attribute this fault to the gun, as all the other fired brass I have examined had healthy dents in the primer.

I also like the balance of the pistol; you can stand on its grip (with a mag inserted) and it will not fall over. The only complaint I have is the trigger. It's not terrible, but could be better.

wyocarp
September 25, 2008, 07:55 PM
If I were truthful, I also think that one of the biggest drawbacks to a Taurus is the trigger.

I have two Taurus handguns, the judge (which is in my opinion a worthless gun) and .22 mag. Both I bought because they are unique, but both have terrible triggers. The judge I don't care about (safe Queen). The .22 mag I'm going to get some work done on the trigger because it is a neat pistol.

camsdaddy
September 25, 2008, 09:26 PM
I bought a used S&W model 13 6 shot 357 w 4" barrell square butt a while back for $250.00. I have been very pleased with it my only complaints are the square butt but other than that it was cheap smooth and had a little wear which I just consider part of history.

ArchAngelCD
September 26, 2008, 02:50 AM
Many of the guns i would have recommended were already mentioned and you now have a good list to consider. What I didn't see in this thread is the Ruger Six-Series revolvers. In a 4" barrel or 2 3/4" barrel they are all good. I have a Blue 2 3/4" Police Service-Six in .357 Magnum I picked up for $225 a while back that was in great condition. The Security-Six and Speed-Six are also nice revolvers...

Big Daddy Grim
September 26, 2008, 02:54 AM
Taurus may be a few things but junk I think not I love my judge and my new 1911.

bmitchell
September 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'd be scared to buy anything that comes with "night wights".

candr44
September 26, 2008, 05:13 PM
Star made some good guns and you can still find them for under $300 but the company is out of business. If you want a very good gun from a company with a reputation for quality that's still in business get the CZ40B from CDNN.

pinetree64
September 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
MCGunner and I have the same setup. My Taurus are solid. I owned a S&W629 for years and the trigger was crap and I couldn't get it to shoot well. I picked up a used M66 and it is awesome. I tend to shoot metal plates at the range double action. I have also had my M85 for over a decade. No hi-cups. The M66 is for woods carry and home protection the M85 is for CCW.

Also the CZ82's are great. I had one and it is a fine firearm. I sold it as it was my only 9mm MAK and it is fairly large. My Kimber Compact is easier to conceal.

Download the CDNN catalog and see if there is anything in it that sparks your interest.

possum
September 29, 2008, 05:39 PM
for me i only own one handgun that is in that range but i do have expereince with guns in that range though. i have a ruger p345 that is the cheapest handgun that i own but it is the most accurate. it was $369 otd.

also in that price range look at the ria 1911's they are a great value and a lot of bang for your buck.

Soldiersurfs
September 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm glad this is not my experience with any of my guns. But then, I don't own any semi-auto Taurus handguns It is supposed to do that , gives you second strike if there is a Failure to Fire
And yes the SA/DA trigger pull sucks but other then that its hard to beat the New Millenium Pro series as far as new guns for the price goes. Academy has them for $299 regardless of caliber.

snow
September 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
Don't forget the witness pistol by tangfolio. You should be able to pick up a new one for about 425 and a used one for about 325-350. Don't let anyone fool you these are good pistols I have one in wonder finish and have never had a failure to feed in roughly 3000 rounds. I clean and lubricate after every shooting.

chipperi
October 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
Not to change the topic of the thread but what in the heII are pistol purchase permits? Where in the world do you live? Just wanna know so I dont ever consider moving there! But seriously how many are you allowed to buy a year, or is it one of those goofy places that controls how many different guns you can carry?

Beagle-zebub
October 4, 2008, 11:48 PM
You shouldn't have to look around too hard to find a Smith and Wesson model 10 for sale at $250-$300. I saw one at Cabela's not two weeks ago, sporting what looked like Hogue grips, to boot.

wep45
October 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
With a budget of $300, you might get lucky at a local pawn shop, or watch the on line auctions for a good deal on a used gun.

jjohnson
October 5, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah... it takes pretty creative abuse to wear out or damage Rugers - in general, particularly the New Model Blackhawks. Since most people don't shoot any sort of competition with SAs (yes, there IS the SASS crowd, but they shoot light loads) it's a rare used Ruger SA that shows any signs of real wear.

They're not expensive new, but I've seen a pretty fair number of used Rugers at gun shows at $300 or less. We're talking firearms that were built to last into the next millenium that have fewer than a thousand rounds through them.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one after giving it a good looking over. Your milsurp stuff from our old enemies is fairly cheap - the Makarov is wonderfully reliable and a good shooter. The CZ52 is, well, weird but fun to shoot. And as one guy mentioned, the S&W M10 as well as many LE 9mm trade-ins (since most have up-gunned to .40 caliber) are plentiful at decent prices. I paid $350 for an almost NIB Glock 17 a couple years ago, and could have had one that didn't look quite so pristine for $300. You'll find a lot in the under $400 range, and a fair number at $300. I'd cruise the gun shows and not be bashful about the pawn shops, either. If you're not experienced at closely inspecting used firearms, take a buddy with you, just like you were buying a used car.

Pop's2
October 5, 2008, 01:42 PM
Not to change the topic of the thread but what in the heII are pistol purchase permits? Where in the world do you live? Just wanna know so I dont ever consider moving there! But seriously how many are you allowed to buy a year, or is it one of those goofy places that controls how many different guns you can carry?

In Minnesota a permit to carry is good for 5 years and allows you to purchse more than one handgun; if you do not have a permit you can go to your local county sheriff and get a "permit to buy" good for one year and yes you can buy more than one handgun per year.

Cokeman
October 5, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ridiculous.

WVMountainBoy
October 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ruger 22 would be the first on the list for that price...then I'd start looking at some of the older Smith service 38's

chupacabrah
October 7, 2008, 07:27 AM

We have them in NC too...state law.
Some counties require a 5 day waiting period (luckily mine doesn't).
No permit is required if you have a CHL

JonF
October 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
In NJ we have to apply for a "purchase permit" for every handgun we wish to purchase. This permit is then used and consumed at the time of purchase and is also used for registration purposes. Frankly its real purpose is like that of the waiting period--to delay any ill-intentioned purchaser and to also facilitate a deeper lookup into the individuals history at the time of applying for same. Note that this is not required for any long guns and regarding CHL, NJ is pretty much NOT-ISSUE. To apply for a permit takes about a month and on the application one indicates how many permits they wish to receive up to whatever limit the municipality declares. The application costs $18 up front, then $2 for each permit at time of receipt. Yes, it sucks royally.

MCgunner
October 9, 2008, 07:34 AM
Glocks are plastic junk. There, I said it. :neener:

I don't really feel that way, but lots of 1911 "snobs" do. I've heard it before. Hey, opinions are like....well....everybody has one.

MCgunner
October 9, 2008, 07:35 AM
Friggin' site!

MCgunner
October 9, 2008, 07:37 AM
delete triple post

cerberus65
October 9, 2008, 09:46 AM
I won't say Taurus is junk but I still would have to be very desperate before I bought one. Rather than junk, I would say they are inconsistent. Some people are lucky and have no problems. Others are unlucky and seem to get no satisfaction either short-term or long-term. Bad customer service is a definite turn-off for me. So flip a coin on a purchase with dim prospects for happy resolution if the coin lands wrong? Nope, not for me. Sorry. There are plenty of other places I can spend my money.

A quality used gun like the Sig P6 in 9mm or S&W Model 10 in .38 Special seem like the current best bets on quality used firearms in the range you mentioned.

Personally, though, unless I was looking for either of those calibers, I'd spend more money on a pistol/revolver. Spending too little is a recipe for ending up less than satisfied.

edit: and yes, I've shot a Taurus - my brother's 1911

senior
October 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
Yea, $300.00 guns are just junk, everyone knows that if u shoot a BG with one of the cheap POS like bersa, taurus, rossi, etc, they will just be P.O. or laugh at you till thats what kills em, sure not those junkie $300.00 pistols!! I like Rossi 352 amd own 2 bersas and not one failure!

Ignatius
October 9, 2008, 10:20 PM
For $300 I would look for one of the Sig P6's if there are any more out there.
You get Sig quality and a gun with an almost fanatical following for under $300.

Makarovs are great, inexpensive and fun to shoot.
You can probably pick up a decent Ruger wheelgun at that price, very well made and super rugged.
I have owned and liked the Bersa .380, it was a nice reliable pistol.
Star BM in 9mm is a good single stack 9mm, a bit picky on ammo but they run great with hardball. ( I own one and love it)
Thats enough suggestions.

Ignatius
October 9, 2008, 10:23 PM
Oh and I LOVE my Taurus PT-1911! I got rid of a Springfield Mil Spec and bought a NIB Taurus. I really like the Taurus, it feeds anything, the trigger is sublime and I shoot it better then the Springer. I will not bash Taurus, I would buy another PT1911 in a heartbeat!

Area 52
October 12, 2008, 08:37 PM
I only read the first page of posts so someone might have said it, but new Rock Island Armory 1911s can be had for $350, they were on sale a couple weeks ago for like $320.

SouthronBoy
October 12, 2008, 09:46 PM
I've got a Bulgarian Makarov, and I highly recommend you take a look at a Mak while you're trying to make up your mind.

I used to have a cz-82 in 9mm Mak, before somebody stole it from my truck. I loved the cz-82. Don't confuse the surplus 9mm Makarov CZ-82 with the new production CZ-83s in either .380 or .32 ACP. They're nearly identical in every way except caliber and price.

I also have a Taurus 605 that I carry from time to time. It's DAO with a long trigger, but I want that in a pocket pistol. I don't understand what the fuss is all about with the Taurus haters. The gun is what it is, a moderately priced belly gun.

Mostly I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 anymore. It's light and reliable, and gives me more shots that the Taurus with a speedloader.

There's some good advice on this thread, but don't pay any attention to the guys who are trying to compare penis size.

Mickstix
October 14, 2008, 11:40 PM
Im sure it's been mentioned a few times but I didnt read the replies.. But the S&W Sigmas as good "bangs for the buck".. Not a target gun by anymeans, but they eat anything and if you dont mind 12lb's of trigger they are really nice actually!

Weedmonk
October 15, 2008, 07:21 PM
Guns I'd recommend in the $300 range:
- Used Smith & Wesson K-frame
- Stoeger Cougar
- CZ 40P
- Used Ruger MKII
- Used Ruger Blackhawk

searcher451
October 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
Here's another vote for the Walther P1. You can get them for $195 at Simpson's Ltd. right now; they are reliable, accurate, the real deal. Use what's left of your $300 to buy some Winchester white box FMJ ammo and have a great day at the range.

I've owned one Taurus. I had it for three weeks and one trip to the range. I don't own the gun now and won't get another. I have nothing against Taurus, mind you, but I won't get another.

kludge
October 16, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ruger "Six"es (Security, Speed, Service, Single), P89, P95

Smith & Wesson Model 19 (if you're lucky) and Sigma Pistols

Furncliff
October 16, 2008, 07:38 PM
Star BM... parts are avail. for these except for barrels.

cz75b... even if you have to go a bit over the $300.

S&W model 10 or 15.

PzGren
October 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
The Ruger Six series revolvers are underrated. They can be found for well under $300.

offthepaper
October 16, 2008, 11:13 PM
CZ-75B (shop around)
CZ-82
Ruger P89

jon_in_wv
April 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
The Makarov and the FEG 9JK-HP. Recently I bought a FM Hipower for 300 bucks and it is NEARLY as smooth or accurate as my FEG and I paid 220 for it. It is a really, really good copy of the Hipower.

rbernie
April 8, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'll second the FEG/FM (altho they're getting hard to find under three bills) and again suggest that the P95 can often be found just at three bills NIB. At $300, the fifteen-round P95 is the most bang-for-the-buck around.

geronimo509
April 8, 2009, 07:04 PM
I didnt read all the posts, but My vote goes for a real makarov. a cz82 is just a clone that fires the 9X18 round. I have heard nothing but good things about cz82's or any other cz for that matter, but I still would go for an East German Makarov or a Russian, or a circle 10 bulgarian. In that order. I am no expert though.

ArmedBear
April 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
I just picked up a nice old Model 10 for 300 bucks.

Trigger feels GREAT and the groups it can shoot are tiny.

Thomas Garrett
April 10, 2009, 07:09 AM
Look around, talk to people. I just picked up a NIB (Original owner) never shot, a Browning Buckmark 5.5 Standard with 2 mags .22 for $150.00. SOLD!!!

jon_in_wv
April 11, 2009, 09:09 AM
I'll second the P95 also. I don't place the rest of the Ruger Pistols as top tier autos but the P95 has become a really great weapon. I believe the latest generation also has a slimmer frame than the older ones which was my main criticism of that weapon. I only shot one on one occasion but I was favorably impressed.

JonF
April 12, 2009, 12:21 AM
Well, i ended up with a FEG PA63 and just recently put in an order for a Tokarev TTC. I intended on getting a SIG P6, but bissed the boat when they were under $300. They're well over that now and no longer a bargain frankly.

harmon rabb
April 16, 2009, 04:25 PM
you can get a nice condition cz-82 for about $200. not a bad choice. i like mine.

harmon rabb
April 16, 2009, 04:27 PM
hey JonF, where did you order the tokarev tt-33 from? I'm dying for one!

harmon rabb
April 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
hey JonF, where did you order the tokarev tt-33 from? I'm dying for one!

thunder173
April 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
Look at the Bersa/Firestorm line.

bearmgc
April 16, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hungarian FEG.

JonF
April 17, 2009, 12:49 AM
Harmon, JG Sales has them in stock.

http://www.jgsales.com

Gardien
April 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
Why would you want to buy a "cheap" gun when you consider a) how long you will own it and b) how much you will pay for ammo over that time? I have owned my HK USP for 16 years and shot a lot of ammo through it. Not to mention I could sell it today for more than I paid for it new.

Not bashing cheap guns, just putting perspective on owning and enjoying a quality firearm that may retain its value and cost you much less than the ammo you will eventually put though it over time.

I believe higher quality costs less over the long hall.

BhmBill
April 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
You COULD get yourself a makarov and half a case of ammo for it for under $300.

lsudave
April 28, 2009, 06:53 AM
Take a look through the surplus handguns coming from the former Warsaw Pact countries- these are pretty much all solidly made and "inexpensive" as compared to "cheap". That would be things chambered in 7.62 Tokarev, and 9mm Makarov

And per Gardien's comment-- these, too, will be worth more than you currently pay.
I currently have 2 chinese T-54's (with an extra 9mm barrel) and a FEG PA 63, and together they ran me less than 300 total :)

I'd peek at J&G's prices for starters

JonF
April 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
I already have a number of firearms, custom or otherwise, that range on the higher end so i'm not worried about having a few that are on the cheaper end. Especially since my goal was not to identify cheap junk guns, but rather those that are inexpensive, yet still quality due to reasons of surplus, obsoleteness, simplicity, country of origin, etc. A jennings falls under the price range but I'll never buy one. The SIG P6's were a good deal until they went up 33%. Instead i got a Tokarev, FEG and will look for some older Smith revo's. I think those types of guns will never be considered junk in years to come.

JImbothefiveth
April 29, 2009, 01:07 PM
What about a ruger rimfire

wormserco
April 29, 2009, 03:20 PM
The only pistol I've ever liked in that range was the Bersa Thunder 380 (think they're up to $320 now)..

chuckusaret
April 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
Makarov

I know several people who have a Makarov and they swear by them. Who cares what they look like. No one but a BG should ever see it.

Hammerhead6814
April 29, 2009, 09:17 PM
CZ-82 hands down. Right now you can find them from some online dealers for UNDER $200! That is a deal so good it has to be fattening!

rdhood
April 29, 2009, 09:41 PM
RIA GI from someplace like Sarco. It is *slightly* over $300, but well worth the extra $25 for a nice entry level 1911. Its hard not to go $395 for the tactical though. I took my RIA Tactical out yesterday for the first time. One FTF on the last round out of 75 rounds (all my reloads) shot is not bad.

Makarov

My HiPoint .40 S&W ($140) shoots great (and I mean goes bang every time). I have had absolutely no jams or malfunctions at all in the last 500 rounds, and I can shoot this thing better than any of my other big guns (i.e. bigger than .22lr). OTOH, I had a bad outing with the HiPoint C9 yesterday, and am ready to send it back to the factory. For me, the HiPoints are hit or miss. I got lucky with one, the other is a jamomatic.

A Ruger MKII/III or Browning Buck Mark. I just bought a used Buck Mark for $200, upgraded to a stainless steel barrel for a net $10 (new barrel $50, sold old barrel for $40) , and the thing shoots like you wouldn't believe. I can put 10 rounds on target in a 4" circle at 75 feet. I am a mediocre shooter at best. For me, a 4" group of 10 at 75 feet is great.With this Buck Mark, I can do it every time.

Zerodefect
April 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
Keltec pf9?

Troy308
April 29, 2009, 11:28 PM
Arcus 98 DA or DAC 9mm
CZ82 9 X 18

If you enjoyed reading about "Best value per dollar handguns in the under $300 range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!