Deer season and deer hunting idiots at range

PDA

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well its that time of yr, deer season comin and all the deer hunters that only shoot one time a yr come out to the public range and pull their stupid crap. I get into more fights with people this time yr then any other. Our range is 600 yrds long and 100-130 yrds wide. The most common thing is if im at the rt side of the range shootin and they are shootin on the left side they think its alright to just walk on down to the 100 yrd stands to check their targets while im still shootin, they dont call it cold or anything. This kind of **** absolutly drives me nuts. Then when you say something to them they act like they know what they are doin is safe, "Im a vet, ex millitary, i know how to be safe around guns" is what i hear from time to time.

Then theres the guys who aim the guns all over the place right at you and everyone else. Even seen them shoot holes in the roof of the pavilion and think nothin of it....It was a accident, so what.

Its bad enough last yr the range capts decided that it may be mandatory durin deer season and month or so before to have a range nazi there to keep this stuff down. I dont want a manned range, its nice to go there and be alone sometimes. It seems that most of the guys who do these things are out of towwners, city boys that come out to hunt. I assume city boys cause this is a small town 500 people so if i dont know em, they arent from around here chances are.

Anyway, rant off but does anyone else notice the hightened dangers at the range this time of yr?

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer season and deer hunting idiots at range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
elChupacabra!
September 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
Not sure but I'll keep my eye out for 'em tomorrow when I go, although I shoot at a club so that will probably help....

Although I must say, only the FIRST post and Godwin's Law has already struck... awesome :)

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
they think its alright to just walk on down to the 100 yrd stands to check their targets while im still shootin
So, you continued shooting while they are downrange?

I get into more fights with people this time yr then any other.
I think I see the problem and it might not be entirely caused by the deer hunters.

Its bad enough last yr the range capts decided that it may be mandatory durin deer season and month or so before to have a range nazi there to keep this stuff down.
Sounds like it might be a good idea to keep the local regulars from starting fights.

It seems that most of the guys who do these things are out of towwners, city boys that come out to hunt. I assume city boys cause this is a small town 500 people so if i dont know em, they arent from around here chances are.
I reckon you best avoid them city boys with their fancy rifles and mouths full of teeth from them fancy city dentists. They don't know they ain't supposed to be out on your range. Next thing you know the local diner will only serve fillay min-yawn and es-car-guts.

I'd sure love to hear the other side of this from the city boys who talk about the crazy guy who kept shooting on the range while they were checking their targets and then had the audacity to come down and lecture them about gun safety.

bogie
September 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hey, Beltfed... Lemme take you to STLBRRC some time...

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
well I guess I will find out, I an going to the range next week.

K3
September 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
I think I see the problem and it might not be entirely caused by the deer hunters.

Hopefully he means arguments rather than fights.

buck460XVR
September 19, 2008, 05:49 PM

I was kinda thinkin' the same thing.:rolleyes:

I learned years ago to avoid the range the month before season. After opening weekend I have it to myself again for 11 months. It's similar to tryin' to shop the week before Christmas......if you're there too, then you're no better than the rest of them.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hopefully he means arguments rather than fights.
Even then, I would say that getting into arguments at the range with regular enough frequency to note an increase during hunting season isn't a great idea.

It's similar to tryin' to shop the week before Christmas......if you're there too, then you're no better than the rest of them.
Oh, that's a great example. I should start my shopping early.

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 06:05 PM
JorgSo, you continued shooting while they are downrange?

JorgI reckon you best avoid them city boys with their fancy rifles and mouths full of teeth from them fancy city dentists. They don't know they ain't supposed to be out on your range. Next thing you know the local diner will only serve fillay min-yawn and es-car-guts.

Wow Jorg either your kidding around pretty rough or some one hit your button:neener:..........are you one of these once a year shooters?:confused: Whats it like hearing bullets wiz by while your looking at your target at the 100 yrd line?:eek:

cassandrasdaddy
September 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
you couldn't pay me to go to the public range at the wma on a sat or sunday afternoon . too many once a year shooters and bud light for my taste. same with early rifle season i won't ride my mountain bike in the woods then

220_Swift
September 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
Sounds to me like you are part of the problem. I'm sure it isn't the same exact people year after year. Yet you put them all in the same category. Either learn to cooperate, or don't go to the range for a month or so.

The range I belong to has people I've never met before. And when I get there, and there is someone new, or if they come while I'm shooting, I stop and go over and talk to them. I ask them, do you want to go cold every so many minutes, or do you just want to call it when you need to. This does a couple things. You no longer are a standoff stranger, you have broken the ice. It also sets up some basic guidelines for saftey. It also let the other people know what you expect of them. By asking them there choice, time or just call it, you have put the ball in there court. Let them decide when to go cold. They will be much more appreciative, and you will get better results than just sulking in the corner.

Do with it as you please, but you will live a happier life without so much anxiety.

JMHO of course.

Double Naught Spy
September 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
What gets me is Beltfed knows it is coming and is mentally amping up for the confrontations already (as evidenced by the tone of the post) instead of doing the smart thing and avoiding the range all together or finding some place else to shoot.

However, it is his local range and he doesn't want the deer hunters there or the range Nazis to help keep his range in order. Its his range. No doubt the range Nazis curtail some of his habits as well, otherwise he would welcome having proper staff there to handle the problems.

Beltfed, it sounds like you get into fights all year 'round. Why is that?

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 06:39 PM
Fights as in arguements, some very heated, one almost got into fist fight.
No i didnt keep shootin when the guys are goin down range. When your lookin threw the scope and out the corner of your eye you see something movin and its a idiot walkin down range as your fixin to shoot and you want to put it off on me? Get a life.

As for cooperating, i do, i will go cold when asked, once again as long as its not another one of them kind that shoots one shot at the 300 yrd target, then wants to go cold so he can walk down to check it, then walk back, go hot, he shoots one rnd and wants to go cold again and repeat this process over and over. I dont deal with that too well.

The range capt's have all dealt with this, everything i have just brought up they deal with also, thats why the rules are about to change with the place being manned all the time during deer season only.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
I fight several times a week, as a cage fighter its called training. But for some of you uptight guys to just blame me for what you know nothin of is funny. You guys dont have much to do with your time do you? Some of you approach things the right way, others come here just lookin to start a fight as seen in previous posts. Its easy to be tough on the computer isnt it?

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hey whats going on here? There have been plenty of posts where the Un savy shooter shows up and most of us here on THR will sympathize with the OP or atleast share a similar story. For what reason is his story any diffrent as the other threads where unfamiliar shooters show up and start doing dumb things?

Lets try this

Well its that time of yr, deer season coming and all the deer hunters that only shoot one time a yr come out to the public range and some are just unsafe. I remind more folks about safety this time yr then any other. Our range is 600 yrds long and 100-130 yrds wide. The most common thing is if im at the rt side of the range shootin and they are shootin on the left side they think its alright to just walk on down to the 100 yrd stands to check their targets while im still shootin, they seem oblivious to their unsafe behavior. These kind of safety violations absolutly drives me nuts. Then when you say something to them they act like they know what they are doing is safe, They hide behind excuses like "Im a vet, ex millitary, i know how to be safe around guns" is what i hear from time to time.

Then theres the guys who aim the guns all over the place. Pointing loaded guns right at you and everyone else. Even seen them shoot holes in the roof of the pavilion and think nothin of it....They say It was a accident, so what.

Its bad enough last yr the range capts decided that it may be mandatory during deer season and month or so before to have a range officers there to keep this stuff down. I dont want a manned range, its nice to go there and be alone sometimes. It seems that most of the guys who do these things are out of towwners, city boys that come out to hunt once a year. I assume city boys cause this is a small town 500 people so if i dont know em, they arent from around here chances are.

Anyway, rant off but does anyone else notice the hightened dangers at the range with the once a year shooters?

There is no need for this sensless gang keyboarding.........now apologize and go to your rooms!

JWF III
September 19, 2008, 06:52 PM
I believe that everyone has hit the nail on the head. Be peaceable with them, deal with it, or don't go. I am an avid shooter, bird hunter, and a sometimes deer hunter. I take 8 to 10 rifles with me every time I go to the range. I set up 4 to 6 targets. The only bothersome complaint that I have about the same folks, is that they want to call a cold range every 5 minutes (sometimes not always). I've seen them set up 1 target, shoot 1 cartridge, and want to go see where they hit. They adjust the sights and do it again. I've often offered them use of my spotting scope just to make the range hot a little bit longer. Some have accepted my offer, others have not. But like I said, I just deal with it. I just get to take a break more often than I generally like.

But then again, there's a lot to be said living 7 miles from the state owned and operated WMA range. I can go , almost, whenever I want, and shoot with the crowd (size) that I want.

Wyman

RioShooter
September 19, 2008, 07:57 PM
But for some of you uptight guys to just blame me for what you know nothin of is funny. You guys dont have much to do with your time do you?

Dear Mr. Belt,

With only a few dozen posts, you are in no postion to judge the people on this forum. The High Road's membership is among the most knowledgable and honorable on the internet. Constructive criticism is always welcome; but a cage fighter who wants to impress others with his abilities might feel more comfortable on another forum.

Humility is a virtue that is worth putting into practice. For many here it's reflected in all of their posts.

bogie
September 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
I ain't afeared to cage-fight.

I'll even take a handicap.

Instead of two .45s, I'll go with a pair of 9mm berettas...

Just call me Tequilla.

Double Naught Spy
September 19, 2008, 08:12 PM
Anyway, rant off but does anyone else notice the hightened dangers at the range this time of yr?

Well to answer your question, sure. Then again, such instances are usually handled quickly and easily with some nice chatting and everyone cooperates. There are no heated exchanges. Most of the deer hunters are a bit clueless, but more than apt to get get along.

Easy to be tough on a keyboard? Sure. Just like it is easy to claim always being right, tough, a great shot, or of some super tough profession.

Why do you ask?

goon
September 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
I feel for you.
I've dealt with some real morons at the range too and learned to generally just avoid the range during that one week before deer season.
Only really had to deal with it once when a friend asked me to sight in his son's rifle before deer season. Fortunately, I was able to get it zeroed within a few shots and get out of there.

One other time this "fudd" type showed up and started acting like a moron.
He made no effort to pay attention to what others were doing, muzzle sweeped everyone, and had no idea of what hot or cold meant. Finally I got tired of his just blasting away haphazardly with full power .357's without telling anyone to cover their ears so I waited until he was at his bench with his back toward me and cut loose with an AK.
He didn't have any hearing protection with him. The AK was enough to convince him to pack up and leave.
Don't get me wrong - I've gotten to shoot a lot of cool guns at the range and some "morons" have even turned out to be mostly OK after I've seen them there a couple times. But there are some who can't be helped.

FWIW, I also find it strange that out of a bazillion "moron at the range" threads, this is about the first one where the poster, a "regular" who doesn't just shoot once a year before deer season, is targeted as the problem.
Can't say that I totally blame beltfed. Even during the off season, I've been tempted to buttstrike a few from time to time.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
Rioshooter, i agree with you on your post. But as nasty as some of these guys have gotten with name callin i havent stooped that low and im not gonna, argueing on the internet is just plain stupid. They attacked and i am just sittin back watchin the show. All it tells me is theres alot of city folk here that dont like bein called out.

mike7465
September 19, 2008, 08:28 PM
Sometimes when I come here I have to think that this place is filled with anti(s) or kids. People do dangerous or rude things that make the OP mad causes others to say he is the problem?
No, the people who are doing dangerous or inconsiderate things are the problem.

cassandrasdaddy
September 19, 2008, 08:30 PM
sad to say that near here its a mix of locals and northern va refugees that do stupid gun tricks

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
Oh we get our occasional yaho that comes in that needs corrected now and then but the real trouble starts from like here on threw deer season. Not sayin everyone here is gun safe 100%.

Zundfolge
September 19, 2008, 08:53 PM
My only complaint about the hunters is that the private range I'm a member of opens up to the public for sight-ins on Sundays the month of September ... well I prefer to do much of my shooting on Sundays so the range is crowded :p

But then again, there's plenty of range "nazis" keeping the riff-raff in line, so they don't cause trouble ... just crowds. And the money they spend for sight-ins ('cause it ain't free) helps keep my membership fees low.

pinstripe
September 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
All I can say is this. I don't care if you are a cage fighter or superman himself. If you are going to be fighting with anyone, it shouldn't be at a gun range. With real guns. And real bullets. and such. Your cage fighting training evidently didn't cover the .308 bare naked choke out or the .30 caliber thumb to the eye move.:D

jordan1948
September 19, 2008, 09:12 PM
BeltfedMG I completely understand I mean I don't go to the range all that often so I guess I'd fall in the category you're describing but I do my best to do everything safely and I try to distance myself from the regulars to avoid any problems. It's just that some ppl don't think about what might piss off the guy next to them or any one else on the range for that matter

bogie
September 19, 2008, 09:27 PM
IMHO, a concept here would be to LIGHTEN UP and COMMUNICATE.

You catch a lot more raccoons with a full dumpster, you know? Be nice. Smile. And teach. And if someone is nasty, well, that's on their karma.

Be nice.

That way, if you have to call the cops, you're the one standing there with the puzzled look on your face, while That Other Guy is the one spewing profanities and threatening violence.

How'd I learn this valuable lesson? I was in a head-on collision.

On my side of the road, but that didn't matter. I'm there, car's pulled to the side, still trying to get my stuff together, and some guy is screaming at me because I hit him when he cut across a couple of lanes of traffic to drive into the local high school's parking lot. And this guy is allegedly an adult... On his way to an important basketball game.

So here I am, getting berated at for not stopping (in a section of the road where there weren't any stop signs, people directing traffic, etc...) to let him whip past, and the nice man in the car with the blue lights pulls up.

He gets screamed at, with lots of finger pointing.

Now, I've said maybe a coupla words by now...

Pretty much just "You okay?"

So, the officer politely listens to the fellow for a few minutes, tells him to sit on his car, walks over to me, and loud enough for the fellow to hear, and I still haven't said a word, says "So hey, Chuck, you okay? How's your mom doing? I need to come see you next week. Here's a copy of the police report number to give your insurance people. You call me if you have any questions." It's nice to know people.

Guy went down as 100% at fault (of course). But he probably didn't help anything with his tantrum.

At my gun club, EVERYONE knows the rules. We've also got cameras, and computer-recorded imaging of all the ranges. If someone fires over a berm, we know who it was. If someone gets idiotic, we know who it was. We don't have problems.

Does that range needs some safety signs, that sort of thing? Because people are not psychic.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 09:32 PM
Not that i have to explain or expect anyone to beleive me but at our range and when i said public, its a member only type thing but during deer season non members come out regardless.

I am one of the most respected, respectful safety oriented people there, everyone knows me.

The guy that almost got his tail kicked at the range was one of them shoot one shot then go to the 500 yrd target to see where it hit kind of guys, he did this several times then i told him that i didnt have all day and would appreciate atleast 10 mins between goin cold, the guy threw a fit talkin about how its his range too and as i was still shootin he went down range anyways, when he got back i let it be known his arrogant ways was goin to get him in trouble, but in a not so nice way till he left.

With 3 kids that shoot all the time, safety is always on my mind, even when they are not around shootin. When i see someone do somethin wrong i will say something, ecspecially if its repeated many times. Am i sorry for any of it? No, will/would i do it again, hell yeah.

WheelgunZealot
September 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
We get a little more than the occasional muzzle sweep at the range this time of year. The range owner is really good about watching closely and telling somebody when he sees something unsafe. 99% of the time the guy that makes the mistake is just a really nice hunter who hasn't been to the range in a while and needs to be reminded of the rules. Occasionally I will politely mention something if the owner doesn't catch it, but I've never seen any discussion depart from civil communication.

DRYHUMOR
September 19, 2008, 09:53 PM
At least they are at the range...

Trying to ensure that they have a zero on the weapon...

So that they won't maim or cripple...

Most people understand safety, they may not always practice it, but they understand it. Involve unsafe people in the "we" sense, not the "you" or "I" sense, and most times they come around.

After all "we" all want to go home to our families today, don't we?

3pairs12
September 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Man this thread just reminded me that I need to go zero my kids gun tomorrow. Hopefully it wont take me long to get to the range since I live in the city. Oh thats right I go there all of the time its only a half hour. I happen to be taking my kid for the first time since the month before last season. Does that make me one of those deer hunting idiots. Or is it possible that I shoot and also hunt deer. Just because you don't see somebody everytime you ther doesn't mean that they are fresh out Gander Mountain in from the bidg city getting ready for this years hunt. Maybe they have been going while you were training. I have been swept by people that don't hunt at all times of the year!

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wheelgunzealot, A bullet from a "really nice hunter who hasn't been to the range in a while and needs to be reminded of the rules" will kill you just as dead as the mean guy at the other end of the range. All it takes is a oops. If you cant remmember common gun safety then get a new sport, one less dangerous, ecspecially to other people.

WheelgunZealot
September 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
No, you're right. Gun safety is serious and not to be taken lightly. Being a reasonable guy does not equate to being safe. It's irritating (and concerning) when safety rules are violated, but my point is that (in my experience) most of them are not guys looking to get into an argument.

Professor Gun
September 19, 2008, 10:40 PM
There is a range in my area that is not really a public range but had a very low annual fee and also day pass fees to shoot there. I learned a long time ago to just stay away from it from about mid-September through November. There are a lot of people that show up who do not shoot on a regular basis and are not familiar with basic firearms safety. I decided that it was just too dangerous.

All of my rifles are usually zeroed before then and I belong to a private range where I and my family can do last minute fine tuning if we think we need to.

It isn't the deer hunters who are the problem as there are a lot of us who shoot regularly and are safe. It is inexperienced shooters. I try to help when I can, but there are just times when there are too many of them out there. Worse yet, there are some who take offense if you offer to help.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 10:54 PM
Professor said it right on. See its not just me.

Wheelgun, i dont go lookin for a arguement when i go to the range either, just like i dont go lookin for someone to point a gun at me (Have been in several shoot outs, shot twice on 2 seperate occasions, it hurts!), Or to put me in danger of goin to jail cause i shot someone for runnin out in the line of fire either and so on.

This whole thread just got waaay out of hand. I wasnt callin all deer hunters idiots, if it sounded that way, i deer hunt too, just not like the rest of you do it, we locals have our own way, much safer, easier and funner.

Lamb of Gun
September 19, 2008, 11:17 PM
I think it's time for this thread to die.

azhunter122
September 19, 2008, 11:25 PM
Take it easy there jorg! Take the "High Road" lol

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 11:28 PM
I think it's time for this thread to die.
Yeah could have gone a lot smoother if the attitudes didnt start flying right off the bat from both sides of the fence. I though(only from giving benifit of the doubt) the op was just wording things a bit off but after a few things surfaced well I can see TYPE-A in the personality. Which isnt really a bad thing it just explains things a bit more.

My advice.......relax if you dont like whats going on pack up go home come back later. Shooting is suposed to be relaxing dont get so amped up over things.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
If im such the hot head why didnt i start the name callin like some of you did? Yeah, maybe i worded it wrong, but im not the furious Ashoe you guys was makin me out as, im easy to get along with till you put me in that position. And arguein on the computer is just not gonna happened, ill sit back laughin everytime. Dont bother me.

Eric F
September 19, 2008, 11:40 PM
Well.........I dont think any one here has called you a furious Ashoe and easy to get along with till you put me in that position. What postiion? the one where you want to argue and come to near blows?

I only stated you are an Alpha personality, It tends to be the reason behind some of your issues you posted.

oh and thisDont bother me.
well dont air your dirty laundry on line you wont get gang keyboarded so much.

I even tried to help you out and you keep on with the "tough guy" stance most folks here on THR really dont care too much for that sort of thing.

Just settle down be a bit more friendly I think you will find things to be better.

BeltfedMG
September 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
Reread my post, the dont bother me meant when you guys talk crap i will sit back and laught, it dont bother me. I dont play the tough guy role, never have. Got my ass beat more times then i won, or right at it. Never, did i claim that. You seem to find things in posts that arent there.

Larry Ashcraft
September 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
Folks,

THR isn't about "Those idiots with guns" and "Us smart guys with guns".
It's about educating all of those who use guns, for whatever purpose, to use them responsibly.

Dividing us into groups just isn't our way, education and uniting those who are for our cause is our way.

I'm going to violate a rule here by having the last word and then closing the thread.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer season and deer hunting idiots at range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!