Rock River upper does not make my case necks longer

PDA

longdayjake
September 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
I have a Rock River midlength upper that I load 62 grain bullets with either 23 grains of TAC or accurate 2230. After shooting the brass 4 times I have found zero change in case neck length. Is this due to the wylde chamber or to the light load? All I can say is that I love this rifle all the more because I hate trimming my brass. Also, shouldn't my brass last pretty much forever if it is not having to be trimmed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River upper does not make my case necks longer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 19, 2008, 06:51 PM
Apparently you have found the elusive min spec chamber, and dies that fit it rather perfectly!

rcmodel

gidaeon
September 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
I know nothing about reloading presently, but it sounds like a "don't change, don't try and improve it"

rcmodel
September 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
BTW: You are measuring your cases after sizing them each time aren't you?

rcmodel

SlamFire1
September 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
I have a Rock River midlength upper that I load 62 grain bullets with either 23 grains of TAC or accurate 2230. After shooting the brass 4 times I have found zero change in case neck length.

I am surprised by this. Are you measuring the brass before or after sizing?

I have found in my rifles that if I fire the same brass in the same rifle and use the same sizing die, brass growth reduces around the fourth firing, and subsequent trimmings are on the order of a thousandth of an inch. I believe this is due to workhardening.

However, I have to trim the most brass from the case neck on the first sizing. Typically the brass stretches to above maximum.

If I change rifles, change dies, I have to trim more brass after sizing. I donít know why, but it works out that way.

longdayjake
September 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well, what I have been doing is sizing the brass and then putting them in the trimmer to shave off the excess. I have recently trimmed about 2000 rounds of police range pickups that I had to trim down when I first got them. I then went to trim the ones that I had previously prepped and shot but not a one of them required any shaving. I loaded them up and shot them again to see if it was just a fluke. Nope. third time they were still the same size. So I did it again. Guess what. No change.

I don't lube the inside of the case neck when resizing either. In some cases it appears that the necks have actually gotten shorter after shooting since my trimmer stays the same length but the necks don't even touch the blades.

This is not the case with my M1a in .308. I have to trim every piece every time I shoot. I was just extremely surprised at the sweetness of my .223. Also, it doesn't seem to matter which brand of brass I am using. I have shot LC, FC, PMC, PUU, and a couple others I can't think of. They all seem to be doing great. Can anyone explain why they aren't growing like they should?

bullseye308
September 19, 2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes you just have to accept what is. In this case it worked out for the best. :rolleyes: Why it never happens to me I'll never know. :banghead:

jmorris
September 20, 2008, 10:48 AM
Well, what I have been doing is sizing the brass and then putting them in the trimmer to shave off the excess. I have recently trimmed about 2000 rounds of police range pickups that I had to trim down when I first got them. I then went to trim the ones that I had previously prepped and shot but not a one of them required any shaving.

Brass doesn't HAVE to be trimmed every time. So trimming it then saying you don't have to, sounds like a politician

. Also, shouldn't my brass last pretty much forever if it is not having to be trimmed?

It will split down the side long before the end of time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River upper does not make my case necks longer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!