Rifle And Pistol Training Material

PDA

Scurrent
September 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
I am bewildered by the array of pistol and rifle instructional books out there. Can anyone provide me with their favorites? I am looking at Jeff Cooper, Gabe Suarez, Massad Ayoob amongst others. At $20.00 a pop, a little insight goes a long way. Suggestions as to rifle and pistol training tomes are solicited. - Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle And Pistol Training Material" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kor
September 19, 2008, 10:35 PM
I expect you'll get lots of specific recommendations in the following posts, so I'll lead off with a few general recommendations from a cheap b***ard(me ;) ):

- Find a used bookstore(or several) in your area and shop there every few weeks - you may be surprised what you find.
- Check the "For Sale" boards on this forum and others regularly - you can often come up with bargains on previously-owned training material, and put some $$ in the pockets of a fellow forum-member. Don't be afraid to ask for package deals or combined shipping on multiple items.
- If you hear about a certain title, be sure to check Amazon, eBay or GunBroker for a used copy. Also don't be afraid to negotiate via e-mail for package deals or combined shipping.
- Consider joining the Military Book Club, and use your super-cheapo introductory choices to get some of the "Gun Digest Book of __________" titles.

As far as the authors you've mentioned, here's my $.02:

Cooper: best for mindset, esp. Principles of Personal Defense. Art of the Rifle is also good for rifle-shooting info, but it's biased towards the Scout Rifle. Most of his other titles(Fireworks, C Stories, To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth, Another Country) are just fun to read.
Ayoob: great for legal issues, esp. In The Gravest Extreme; the StressFire books are also good for learning shooting & gun-handling technique. Learn from Ayoob about legal pitfalls, but don't obsess about the issues he raises to the point that you wind up second-guessing yourself too much.
Suarez: His newer titles are IMO better than his older titles, esp. Secrets of Reality-Based Gunfighting. Major focus on "caveman-simple" techniques, force-on-force training, and well-rounded fighting skills(as opposed to "shooting" skills).

Other good books I can recommend are:

- No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan
- The Handgunner's Guide by Chic Gaylord
- Kill or Get Killed by Col. Rex Applegate
- any of the (now 6) editions of The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery
- Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford
- Real World Self-Defense by Jerry Van Cook
- Carbine and Shotgun Speed Shooting by Steve Moses

Also, definitely look into getting training DVD's, especially from Suarez International(Close Range Gunfighting and Advanced Close Range Gunfighting) and Tactical Response(Fighting Pistol and Shooting Missology) - I think DVD's are better for learning skills quickly than books alone. Other good DVD's can be had in the Gunsite video series, Rob Pincus' I.C.E./Combat Focus videos, and the Wilson/Hackathorn videos from Mail Order Video(Lenny Magill also does his own titles, but I think his on-screen mannerisms get a little tiresome after a while).

You may as well face it now - just as you can never have too many guns, you can never have too many gun books or gun videos. ;) Shop around and buy used, so that the reference library you will eventually accumulate doesn't cost you too much...

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle And Pistol Training Material" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!