Political Correctness infection

PDA

neviander
September 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
There is a noticeable amount of threads that start out with some sort of 'don't wanna offend anyone' disclaimers at the beginning; what's up with that? I don't want to willingly offend anyone, but people are going to think what they're going to think, regardless of any attempt on our part to try to soothe their emotions prematurely.

Here are a few examples:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=375707
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393599

We support gun culture here, let us realize the roots of the P.C. flytrap.
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/4/4/121115.shtml

It is changing the American society from within, and the citizens of this nation are increasingly censoring themselves and losing their freedom of speech out of fear of Political Correctness repression.

It is the nature of Western Civilization to be civilized – respectful of others and concerned with correcting injustices. We don't need Political Correctness to make us think we are not civilized on our own and must have our thoughts and words restricted.

If you enjoyed reading about "Political Correctness infection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pat-inCO
September 20, 2008, 10:50 AM
AND?

buck460XVR
September 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
Seems with forums this size, it's hard to even sneeze at your keyboard anymore without offending someone. Just the nature of the beast.

SCKimberFan
September 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393599

I don't see this post as being PC. I see this one as a guy who did some serious thinking after having to go through a lecture in forensics. Do guns do damage? Yes they do, but only when used, no more, no less than anything else. We have to acknowledge reality.

I agree PC will be the bane of this country. It has already infected virtually every aspect of our lives.

Loosedhorse
September 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
'don't wanna offend anyone'

It's forum policy that intentionally offending someone is verboten. I ran into a couple of antagonistic (by my perception) posters here early on, and responded in "ain't gonna take your guff" fashion.

I was warned by a moderator or two that I was on thin ice, and had just missed vanishing into the "banned" void.

So I've changed my ways, and I occasionally add a "JMO" or an "with all respect" (as perhaps do others who were similarly warned, or who are more innately sensitive to these matters) to keep me within the bounds of politness--when I'm correcting some misinformed idiot...umm, scratch that last bit, okay? :o

Let's all play nice--it's a good policy.

Pilgrim
September 20, 2008, 02:02 PM
There is a noticeable amount of threads that start out with some sort of 'don't wanna offend anyone' disclaimers at the beginning; what's up with that? I don't want to willingly offend anyone, but people are going to think what they're going to think, regardless of any attempt on our part to try to soothe their emotions prematurely.
Say what you think, believe what you say. Don't feel sorry.

Pilgrim

bogie
September 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing that most of the "I don't wanna offend anyone" stuff is coming from relatively newbies, who may not necessarily be gunnies...

If I think that something might be offensive, and type it anyway, you can bet that I pretty much want to offend someone.

And you know who you are.

Fred Fuller
September 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
Nothing wrong with politeness, or trying to make sure a given post is understood as to context.

And if anyone has a problem with a post or thread, there's an ! in a little red triangle in each post which lets you easily report it to staff.

lpl

Art Eatman
September 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
Attack ideas, not people. Isn't that easy enough?

The use of modifiers is important. "Some" people are flaming fools, but not all. That holds for all of us who post here as well as newsies, cops, politicians or janitors.

You can strongly disagree with somebody's ideas without being insulting to that person. And being insulting to another member is a cause for banning.

And courtesy and politeness are what separate real gunfolks from knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. Here at THR, anyway.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Political Correctness infection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!