OUCH! Reloaded my thumb today!

PDA

Big Boomer
September 21, 2008, 05:30 AM
While running a batch of 500 45 acp, listening to the radio and reloading I was in my groove belling them and somehow got my thumb caught on top of the shell casing and you guessed it down went the lever...

The casing rim does not require much pressure to slice into the meat of your thumb. Luckily it only went in about 1/3 of an inch. I was pressing very lightly on the lever but that's all it took.

Blood gush :eek:, spurt :what: , scream :eek: , curse :cuss: , curse :fire: , more curse :banghead: , damn carpet :fire: ...blood :mad: grumble, curse, curse some more...

wash, neosporin, bandaid, curse, :cool: grumble...ouch :( , that was stupid :uhoh: how the hell did I do that again??? :confused:

Oh well, :rolleyes: back to reloading...:D ...damn, ouch...:cool:...continues reloading...:)

If you enjoyed reading about "OUCH! Reloaded my thumb today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
qajaq59
September 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
Oh man, that has to really hurt!!!

dmftoy1
September 21, 2008, 07:33 AM
I've "sized" my thumb twice on my star lubri-sizer when I got going a little too fast . .. left a really nasty blood blister each time so I can identify!

Hutch
September 21, 2008, 08:16 AM
Has anyone on this sub-forum NOT pinched a digit on the press? Not all the time, of course, and not with the hydraulic leakage of the OP (usually just a blood blister), but every few years.

NavyLCDR
September 21, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'll make this gun related by saying I had about 50 lbs of powder, a couple hundred lbs of ammo, a couple hundred more lbs of brass and bullets and about 12 guns in the trailer. I don't know how much weight I had on the tongue of the Uhaul trailer when I moved, but I could just barely squat-lift it off the hitch. When I sat it down, I had my thumb under that metal piece uhaul uses instead of a trailer jack. Just as I felt the trailer starting to come down on it I pulled it away so the trailer tongue just took the pad of my thumb almost off. Delayed applying for my CPL for a couple weeks while it healed up due to the fingerprinting.

Yes, I have pressed my thumb in the single stage press a few times as well. :cuss:

The Bushmaster
September 21, 2008, 09:38 AM
No...I learned to keep my various body parts out of moving machinery by experimenting with my various body parts on heavy machinery. I DO have the scares to attest to that though...

JRadice45
September 21, 2008, 11:03 AM
"that was stupid how the hell did I do that again??? "
Big boomer.... again???? sounds like you need the radio off my friend.
The way my press is mounted I have to hold the back of the press (Dillon SDB on portable stand) in order for it to function properly, this practice has translated to my lee single stage. Sounds like you should adopt it... keep yer fingers out of "harms" way...

NavajoNPaleFace
September 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
Nope...of the many thousands of rounds I have prepared and loaded I have never had a degit boo boo.

And only two primer setting kabooms.

texfed
September 21, 2008, 11:09 AM
Never lost blood on the press.....now I had a primmer go off years ago...and it was my fault! Live and learn!

bullseye308
September 21, 2008, 11:24 AM
HAHAHAHA, I thought I was the only one. :neener: I took a core sample of my index finger seating a bullet. The bullet fell off on the way up and my finger tip chased it right across the case mouth while the other hand was distracted thinking pull the lever. :what::cuss::cuss::cuss::fire:

But it has made me more careful, so it was worth it. :banghead:

rcmodel
September 21, 2008, 12:03 PM
Yep!
I got my right thumb in my RCBS Lubrisizer while changing dies last Feburary. The handle fell down while I had my hand in there un-screwing the die nut.

I now know it takes 7 months to grow a new thumbnail.

rcmodel

buck460XVR
September 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
Don't let the lawyers hear of this. Next thing you know there will be required warning labels and locks on all presses, driving the price of pre-lock presses out of reach for most of us.

.....just sayin'.

scrat
September 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
i bet you thumb is pulsating now with pain

ouch

jmorris
September 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
I love my bullet feeders.

Steve in PA
September 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
I put a decapping pin through a fingernail once. Ouch!!

benzuncle
September 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
Having just now caught up on the reloading "war stories" :eek: , I wonder if the various reloading manufacturers award the equivalent of the Purple Heart to the war torn reloaders among us. :confused:

rondog
September 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yep. Hate it when that happens.

RustyFN
September 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
Happened once not too long ago. No blood but hurt like hell.
Rusty

ziggy222
September 21, 2008, 02:06 PM
hornady has fixed this problem on their rifle seaters using a drop down collor that guides the bullet into the case withing having to hold the bullet in place with your fingers.

Big Boomer
September 21, 2008, 02:07 PM
I've also had the lever fall down before too on its own with my finger in the press, made for a black and blue thumb. I was amazed at how much pressure those presses generate.

Hiaboo
September 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
I've "sized" my thumb twice on my star lubri-sizer when I got going a little too fast . .. left a really nasty blood blister each time so I can identify!

Yep me too.

Pumpkinheaver
September 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
I put the decapping pin right throught my thumbnail one time and the caseing cut a nice circle in the pad of my thumb at the same time. That sucked!!!!

kingpin008
September 21, 2008, 04:02 PM
Never had a reoloading-related ouchie yet, since I don't yet reload, but I have had an empty .22 casing embedded into my heel. And when I say embedded, I mean down to the rim. I used to wear my boots untied all the time, and when I'd shoot at the range sometimes I'd "collect" the odd casing or two. Usually no big deal, I'd remove 'em on a break from shooting. Well, one day I was sitting down with my boots off after picking a few casing out of them, and I slipped my foot back into the left one. As my foot settled in, I felt a "pop" and then a searing pain in my heel. Pulled my boot back off, and there it was - a spent case had sliced right through my (admittedly thin and worn out) sock and lodged into my foot.

Long story short, everything healed up just fine, but I was limping for a few days. :banghead:

Shooting sports - not for the faint of heart!:D

tokarev762
September 21, 2008, 04:10 PM
I just poke the decapping pin through a finger nail, every now and then, so I can keep myself on my toes.

1moa@500
September 21, 2008, 04:57 PM
I feel so much better now that I know that i am not the only one to drop a decapping pin through a fingernail

Snapping Twig
September 22, 2008, 02:17 AM
Yup...sized finger. You can't hardly get away from doing it now and again. :)

I got one each with the sizer and the reloader - 'bout all it takes to learn I figure.

Makes for an interesting circular wound. Try explaining that to someone.

evan price
September 22, 2008, 02:18 AM
On my Lee Pro-1000, I was loading .38 Specials, and had the case feeder adjusted too high. When the second to last case fed down, it slipped forward as I started to work the ram, and the last case also fell down ont othe case feeder slot and fell over on its side. Well, this will jam the press up so I stuck my thumb and finger in there to pull it out, and in the process I forgot to stop pulling the handle and smashed my thumb against the edge of the finished-round chute under the top-turret-plate. Ouchie.

bobotech
September 22, 2008, 03:28 AM
I did the decapping pin though my nail once. The problem was that my kid was pulling the lever and didn't release until I started screaming.

That FRIGGING hurt. It was my pointer finger nail.

Cosmoline
September 22, 2008, 03:31 AM
It's a rite of passage. I nailed my finger in my first Lee press.

flynlr
September 22, 2008, 06:07 AM
ok lucy explain this to me.

why is it at that when you have one hand pulling the arm of the press down and the other hand has somehow managed to put a finger in harms way, that the pulling the lever hand. is completely disconnected from the pain>?

Walkalong
September 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
You just gotta love compound leverage. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "OUCH! Reloaded my thumb today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!