neck sizing with standard lee dies

PDA

janobles14
September 21, 2008, 03:03 PM
can this be done? can i simply run the casing up to the shoulder and call it "neck sized"? or does a neck sizing die do something more? ill spend the $$ if i need one but was just hoping.

If you enjoyed reading about "neck sizing with standard lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
September 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
The regular sizing die CAN be used for neck sizing, (instructions are with the die set), but I reccomend getting the Lee neck sizing die. I use it for my .303, works quite well.

ranger335v
September 21, 2008, 05:11 PM
Like many thing about reloading, "It depends." What it depends on is your cartridge and you die. If the die body touches- changes - the case body you will be "partially" FL sizing and that usually causes its own problems.

Basically, if the cartridge is highly tapered, such as a 30-30, it works fine. If the case is straight, or nearly so, like a WSM cartridge, it won't work. If your cartridge lies somewhere between those extremes it depends on the die and chamber dimensions. If the chamber is "tight" and the die is "loose" it can work, otherwise, no.

If you really want to neck size, get the right die and be done with it.

Griz44
September 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
Go ahead and get the neck sizing die for your cartridge. They do a great job and are not very expensive. Makes life a lot easier with the right tool.

Strongbad
September 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
If it's just a sporting gun and nothing you're going to be trying to wring every last little bit of accuracy out of, there's nothing wrong with doing a partial resize with the FL die. Aside from a target rifle or two, I do this on pretty much every rifle I have, from 22-250 to 338/378 Weatherby. Takes a few cases to figure out where the die should be set, but it is very easy to do.

jhansman
September 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
My suggestion is spend the $25 for Lee's collet neck sizer. Once you fireform you bolt gun brass, it will save you much time, probably boost your accuracy, and extend the life of your brass. Good article on reloading for accuracy in this month's Shooting Times that discusses just this.

steve4102
September 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
Like many thing about reloading, "It depends." What it depends on is your cartridge and you die. If the die body touches- changes - the case body you will be "partially" FL sizing and that usually causes its own problems.

Basically, if the cartridge is highly tapered, such as a 30-30, it works fine. If the case is straight, or nearly so, like a WSM cartridge, it won't work. If your cartridge lies somewhere between those extremes it depends on the die and chamber dimensions. If the chamber is "tight" and the die is "loose" it can work, otherwise, no.

If you really want to neck size, get the right die and be done with it.

+1..

If you enjoyed reading about "neck sizing with standard lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!