Primer Question

PDA

powwowell
September 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
What metal are primers composed of? If I were to sell my brass for scrap, does it matter if I leave the spent prmers in the cases?

Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 21, 2008, 05:54 PM
No.

Primers are totally brass.

The cup may be nickel plated, but it wouldn't matter to a scrap dealer.

tcmodel

res45
September 21, 2008, 06:14 PM
Depends on the scrap dealer all three of the local buyers in a 30 miles radius treat primed brass like old berdan Mil-surplus as dirty brass,even though a magnet want stick to it,which brings about half the price of the deprimed brass,it may not be the case in your area but thats how it is around my area in NC.

powwowell
September 22, 2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Larry

Ben Shepherd
September 22, 2008, 12:54 AM
Wore out brass, right?

If it's reloadable it's worth more as-is than turned in for scrap.

evan price
September 22, 2008, 03:06 AM
My scrap dealer doesn't care if primers are in the cases- it's all brass to him, and I even dump my spent primers from reloading in my scrap buckets along with old keys and faucet parts. $2 a pound...

280shooter
September 23, 2008, 12:26 AM
my stupid brother had over 80 pounds of brass,his son and him took it to the scrap yard,he doesnt reload,I asked him o go through it and give me 30-06 270 and 280,NOOOOOOOOOOOO he sells once shot brass to the yunk yard,i told him you could have made alot more money if you would have sold it to reloaders.the Man's a idoit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!