Hornady 55grn. FMJ-BT Accuracy?

PDA

Chris Rhines
September 21, 2008, 06:44 PM
What kind of accuracy are y'all getting with Hornady's 55 grain FMJ-BT bullet in .223 Remington? I'm especially interested in accuracy at longer ranges, 300+ yards. Please include your load data.

Thanks,
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady 55grn. FMJ-BT Accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 21, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing you are asking about them in the .223?

They are better then GI or Winchester bulk FMJ, but still not anything outstanding.

No FMJ will ever be as accurate as a HP, SP, or Ballistic Tip because there is no possible way to make the base the same on every one due to the open edge of the jacket being the base of the bullet.

I have gotten around 1 1/2" 100 yard groups with them, and the same guns shoot half that or less with V-Max or Nosler B-T's.

I load all FMJ-BT with 26.0 grains of WW748 for my AR's, but that is not necessarily the most accurate load.
I only shoot FMJ for blasting ammo.

I use nothing but V-Max or Nosler Ballistic-Tips for varmint hunting and long range accuracy.

rcmodel

JRadice45
September 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
Right now i'm running 2" groups with loads i'm developing, however I need to refine my bench technique.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady 55grn. FMJ-BT Accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!