Tumbler media recipes.

PDA

btefft
September 21, 2008, 10:42 PM
Tumbler media recipes.

I have been using only plain old corn cob media and Cabelas polish, but wonder if I can do better.

I've read of some reloaders, mixing corn cob & walnut media 50/50 and then adding a cap of Nu Finish car polish, some cut up dryer sheets and a cup if dry rice.

Do any of you guys go to that extreme?

What mix works best you you?

Hack

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler media recipes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
depoloni
September 21, 2008, 10:47 PM
I used 50/50 walnut and corncob media. Works okay for me, use a squirt of flitz in there every few loads which seems to help.

I also use strips of used (or sometimes new, hehe) dryer sheets in my batches as well which DOES gather up the black crud. One note on that however, from my experience at least the dryer sheets are best removed after about an hour as they've gathered about as much soot as they're going to at that point and beyond that they start to disentegrate and add dust/fibers to your mix. Defeats the purpose - learned the hard way.

I tend to remove the strips after an hour and let my batches tumble for 4-5 hours if not overnight though.

My old man uses some crap that looks like HUGE grains of H4350 or some other extruded stick powder, looks like it's made of ceramic. Don't know what it is or where to get some (lil help?) but that stuff is FAST. Don't know if I'd use it overnight though and doubt it'd be very good with liquid additives like flitz, nu-finish, etc etc

Hope this helps, looking forward to more posts as much as you are B.

Blacklabelz
September 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm very basic and just use corn cob media w/ a teaspoon of cabelas polish. I leave the tumbler on over night for really really pretty brass.

I was actually wondering how long ya'll keep your media before throwing it out.. The current media i'm using right now has been used for about 120 hours of tumbling/vibrating and is looking darker then my bag full of brand new media. It still seems to be working fine though haha.

Car Knocker
September 21, 2008, 10:54 PM
My old man uses some crap that looks like HUGE grains of H4350 or some other extruded stick powder, looks like it's made of ceramic. Don't know what it is or where to get some (lil help?) but that stuff is FAST. Don't know if I'd use it overnight though and doubt it'd be very good with liquid additives like flitz, nu-finish, etc etc

Seems like a growing number of BPCR shooters are using ceramic media in a liquid medium to get the primer pockets and case interiors clean of the BP residue.

btefft
September 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Blacklabelz,

I wondered the same thing. Now, I may try throwing in a piece of dryer sheet, cut into large pieces, and tumbling it for a hour without brass - just to see if the carn cob media is less dirty.

Hack

jhansman
September 21, 2008, 11:36 PM
I resize/decap, soak in hot cider vinegar for a couple of hours, then once rinsed and fairly dry, 4+ hrs. in walnut (to clean) then an hour or so in corn cob for shine. Also, cut up a dryer sheet and add to the walnut stage; these pick up the crud from the media and extend its useful life.

rondog
September 21, 2008, 11:39 PM
I run mine first with dry walnut media from Pet Smart, sold as lizard litter I believe. That gets 'em pretty clean, even inside and primer pockets too. Then I'll run 'em in corncob media with NuFinish car polish in it. That shines 'em up real good.

evan price
September 22, 2008, 12:08 AM
100% Zilla walnut lizard litter from PetSmart, add a drizzle of NuFinish and a couple torn up dryer sheets to get the black crud. I've run this batch of media for 6 months of heavy tumbling (24 hours a day 6 days a week for 6 months) and it is looking like Cocoa Pebbles even with dryer sheets and stuff. It's obviously not as sharp-edged as new stuff but it still works fine and doesn't makes as much dust as it used to- the cases are shinier and the dryer sheet pieces are cleaner than in the beginning of the fresh batch.

Of course, any cases that were in wet dirt get prewashed in the laundry sink to prevent grit and sand getting in the media.

bullseye308
September 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
If your brass is tarnished: 1C water, 1C white vinegar, 1Tsp salt, 1Tsp dish soap. Mix it up and add brass. Agitate it every few min for about 30 then rinse with clean water. Dry and tumble. For the tumbler: Walnut from the pet store or wallymart and add 1 capful of NuFinish car polish to it. Let it run for 20-30 min and then add the brass. Every 3-4 loads I drop in half of a used dryer sheet cut into 1" squares to keep the dust down.

I decap all my brass then tumble, so I use a Lee decapper to punch out any walnut pieces that get stuck in the flash holes. That also gives you an extra chance to inspect the brass.

Walkalong
September 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
Fine corncob from Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6YY32) (50Lb bag) Frankford Arsenal (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=472108&t=11082005) polish from Midway. Drier sheets (sometimes)

Works great. :)

Frankl03
September 22, 2008, 12:57 PM
I reload 223 right now. When I used corn cob media it got stuck in the cases so now I just use crushed walnut from Pet Smart. I use a dryer sheet and Nu Finish car polish. I don't tear up the dryer sheet it works great whole and when tumbling is done I take the sheet out whole and throw it away.

I like the tip about fine corn cob media from Grainger I'm going to try that. I like shiny brass. Actually the brass comes out plenty shiny from the walnut and Nu Finish mix.

kennedy
September 22, 2008, 09:40 PM
one half walnut from walmart, one half corn cob that came with the tumbler, one half cap nu finish, 2 quarters of dryer sheet, impaled on the center screw the lid attachs to.

lgbloader
September 22, 2008, 09:47 PM
Walkalong,
I bought a 50 lb. bag of that stuff from Grainger as well. I love it....

Now I am using it as a 60 - 70% base and adding crushed walnut to fill out the mix. I also add Nu Finish and dryer sheets. BLING!!!!

Cheers...

RPCVYemen
September 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
You all are shaming me. I use crushed walnut from the pet store - it's very cheap. Every once in a while, I squirt in some some Hornady OneShot.

Mike

CU74
September 23, 2008, 01:45 AM
You all are shaming me. I use crushed walnut from the pet store - it's very cheap. Every once in a while, I squirt in some some Hornady OneShot.

Mike

Don't let the troops make you feel inadequate - I'm betting your reloads shoot just as well as theirs do;).

You're not alone - I use the elcheapo lizard walnut bedding from PetSmart. I add a few bits of dryer sheet to each load and some NuFinish to every third or fourth load.

scrat
September 23, 2008, 02:01 AM
it will raise your cost. i use 1 capful of nu finish. drier sheets and a cup full of rice. wow they come out clean.

CU74
September 23, 2008, 02:21 AM
It will raise your cost. i use 1 capful of nu finish. drier sheets and a cup full of rice. wow they come out clean.

Just DON"T eat the rice..........:D

btefft
September 23, 2008, 03:32 AM
I just bought me a 50 lb bag of corn cob media from Granger, too.

Hack

ArchAngelCD
September 23, 2008, 04:28 AM
50/50 corncob and walnut shells.

Cut up used dryer sheets to clean the media.

Otto
September 23, 2008, 06:05 AM
I use ceramic media with a wet solution in a rotary tumbler.
The photos speak for themselves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Leander/Primers.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Leander/Cases.jpg

tiger rag
September 23, 2008, 11:09 PM
Wow impresive!

DILLER
September 24, 2008, 12:31 AM
Please tell me more. That looks new!:what:

Diller

Big Boomer
September 24, 2008, 12:38 AM
Links to the products please, that damn rotary with the ceramic media wondermajig has got me interested...

depoloni
September 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
Interested in the source of that ceramic media.

My thoughts were that it wouldn't work well with liquid additives like nu-finish, etc. - used dry otherwise. Seems like it'd be awfully tough on the cases. As an agent in a liquid bath, well, that looks like it works GREAT.

I wish I had a picture of the crap in my father's tumbler. He uses it dry, in a Lyman 1500. The sticks are probably 8mm long and 3mm in diameter, cylinders. Has kind of a greenish hue to it. It works fine, but like I said dry ceramic media might be (?) a little rough but it's definitely fast.

I've been getting products from Grainger for YEARS and never knew they had tumbler media. Neither did the lady behind the counter, said she had to track it down in the computer but that's cool, we're good to go!

rondog
September 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
Come on Otto, give up the details!

Sam Adams
September 26, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've read of some reloaders, mixing corn cob & walnut media 50/50 and then adding a cap of Nu Finish car polish, some cut up dryer sheets and a cup if dry rice.

I mix about 2/3 walnut (which does the cleaning) with 1/3 corn (which polishes). Doing two separate loads is not a good use of my time - I'd rather run the machine a bit longer if needed (and I don't think it is).

Nu Finish - about 1 tablespoon drizzled around the media, run for 5 minutes and then dump in the brass. I do this every 4 or 5 loads, and it makes the brass look a lot better.

Dryer sheets - yup. I don't cut them up, I tear them into 4 strips.

Rice - no. It might work well, but I KNOW that the little things will get stuck in the flash holes.

BTW, either wear gloves, or wash hands immediately after reloading - NO exceptions. There's usually lead in the primers, and that residue contains a bunch.

depoloni
September 27, 2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024108215403a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=ceramic+media&Ntk=Products_liberal&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Hell of a link lol... but THAT's the "dry ceramic" i was talking about that my old man uses. KNEW I wasn't crazy.

Samgotit
September 27, 2008, 04:07 PM
I wonder how ball ceramic would work?

http://store.b2bprofessionaltools.com/47801704780160-jpg.html

Too hard on the brass?

@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@

Edit: this is apparently a Lyman product:
http://www.raytech-ind.com/

I can't link it directly, so click Finishing Equipment and Accessories >>> Media/Additives

If you scroll down, there are polishing agents available for brass. Don't know how this would work, but if cuts the time and polishes primer pockets, I give it a go (especially for those weather beaten Lake City mil surp cases).

kelbro
September 28, 2008, 04:15 PM
Wow... I use Lyman Tuf-nut (I think that's it, it's been so long that I forgot) and no additives. It has been in the tumbler for 3 or 4 yrs and still gets my brass shiny. At least 10K rounds through there. I have run a couple of dryer sheets to clean out the dust.

Either you guys have much higher 'shiny' standards than me or you are making this way more complicated (and expensive) than it should be.

rondog
September 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
Where's Otto at? Come on, you showed us the photos, give us the DETAILS!!!!

rondog
October 19, 2008, 05:36 PM
The photos speak for themselves.

I'm still waiting to hear the details about this.....anybody know?

I don't understand why it's such a big secret.

ocharry
October 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
hey otto,,i been using that stuff for a few years now,,,it does work great,,,i started using it for my BPCG cases,,it's all i have now;)

i have told about it on several occasions and no one seem to notice,,,and then you show them a picture,,,,,lol

one thing you guys should know about it is there are two sizes,,,one is for bottle neck cases and one is for straight wall cases( this one will get stuck inside a bottle neck case ) ;)

cabela's sell both size kits that come with a soap that goes in with the brass and water,,it has a defoaming agent,,but simple green works good to and it is way cheaper;)

my .02

ocharry

rondog
October 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
OK, now we're getting somewhere....is this it? Are you saying the 3mm stuff is better, or the other stuff? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0024108215403a&navCount=4&podId=0024108&parentId=cat20853&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20853&hasJS=true

And will this work in a regular vibrating-type tumbler, or do you have to have a rotating drum thingy?

doc busha
October 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Otto;
That stuff looks great!!!
which is before and which is after??

dmproske
October 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
Going to tumble my 1st load of brass today. How full do I fill the tumbler bowel with media?

ocharry
October 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
rondog that is the stuff,,,i can't say anything about the 3mm stuff because i have the 1/8x11/32......and i know it will get clogged up in bottle neck cases,,a friend tried some 06,,it was ugly

all the stuff i use it for are straight wall cases,,,,357,,40sw,,41,,44,,45acp,,38/55,,444,,45/70,,45/90

so you see i can't say,,but the 3mm stuff came out after the other and i am sure that was the reason for it,,to use in bottle neck cases

i have a thumlers tumbler modle b,,,i have the barrel,,tub,, about 2/3 full of the media(not all of the bucket)

i fill the water level about 3/4" above the media,,,put in 100 45/70 cases and in about an hour it's time to take them out

this stuff is used wet so make sure you use it in a tumbler desighed for wet stuff,,,not sure about the vibrator style case cleaners

all i can say is i don't think i well ever use any of the other stuff again

hope this helps

ocharry

rondog
October 21, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, ocharry, thank you! Helps a bunch! I don't have one of those rotary tumblers, and don't really want to buy yet another item....not yet anyway. Unless I stumble across a good deal on a used one.....

How's about some photos of some of your polished brass? Just to make us all jealous, ya know.

John_galt
October 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
OK, nothing personal you guys. I was soaking up your ideas until I seen Otto's pics. I want to do it his way. The inside of my brass never looks that good, I'm not sure the once fired factory new stuff I reload (after I shot it the first time) looked that good.

jjohnson
October 25, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yep, nothing extraordinary here.

I buy the corn cob media from Grainger's, put in a capful of FA polish I buy from Midway, toss in a used drier sheet. Now and then I put in a little polishing rouge I get from www.powdervalleyinc.com, but I'm wondering whether most of that gets picked up by the drier sheet before it does anything for me. I get pretty good results. Since media is cheap and I can see that it loses its cleaning power fairly quickly with really dirty brass, I usually replace it after maybe 100 hours. It goes into a bucket I keep to spread on my driveway when there's ice. :evil:

I haven't started using Nu-whatever it is, but I've tried using Brasso (didn't like it) and Turtle Wax (not enough to have a real opinion).

I'm open to new ideas, so I'll watch this thread with interest. I don't care if my brass is perfectly beautiful, but since I load a lot for autos, I do like it clean enough that I can't blame any malfunctions on dirty brass.

I don't use any soaking solutions. I tried 'em before and wasn't impressed, and it was more time and hassle than what it's worth. I'd think differently, maybe, if I were loading high precision centerfire rifle, but most of my reloads are for handgun, so I load with "quantity" in mind.

I did lose a bunch of Hornet brass in the wife's dishwasher once :eek:, just testing to see how clean they'd get. I put them in a colander, not knowing that the water jets would be powerful enough to blow them out of the basket and into the drain. If you try this, make sure you put 'em in a mesh bag or something, and rinse the washer empty to get rid of any lead contaminants :scrutiny:

jjohnson
October 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I looked at the pics Otto posted and I, too, am impressed.

Come on, Otto - please do post details - weblinks and all that - I know there are several of us who'd want to give a whirl on your method. I'm open to new ideas and yours looks like it has merit.

Please?:confused:

Samgotit
October 26, 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm dying for a product like Otto's. That filthy, dirty, once-fired lake city stuff takes eons to polish. I posted this up a ways, but I have found it for a bit cheaper. Does anyone have an opinion on how this might work:

1mm Microbrite Porcelain Balls by Raytech (which is a Lyman company I believe). 3rd product down:

http://www.arrowheadlapidarysupply.com/items.asp?id=151

I contemplating trying it with the Tumble Soap, listed at the end of the page.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler media recipes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!