Coloring

PDA

45Guy
September 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
I read something on the Beretta forum about coloring in the stamping on pistols. I think it looks nice and I'm thinking about doing it with my XD, but I'm not sure if I can do this to slide without having color everywhere on the slide or if the slide will even take the color well.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Coloring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Philmccan
September 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
On the mosin forum I hear people using white out to bring out the date stamping and what not on there rifles. I keep wanting to do it to my rifles but have not got around to it.

RonE
September 21, 2008, 11:13 PM
Clean the area with acetone or some such solvent that is not unfriendly to the paint you plan on using. Fill the areas with the paint color you desire, let is get almost dry and wipe the over fills off so that the letters/numbers are the only places where paint can be seen. Do not overfill with paint. Once paint is completely dry, apply a light coat of gun oil or whatever you use as an atmospheric barrier on your firearms.

Automobile wrecking yards use a special paint to mark used parts. This paint adhears to almost anything and comes in yellow, white and red if I recall. Tough stuff too.

Please post some pictures when you complete the project.

FireArmFan
September 21, 2008, 11:15 PM
No experience with it but here is a related thread that discusses it a bit. A few people on here have done it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=239436

45Guy
September 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the link Firearm Fan, that's what I'm wanting to do. I won't use paint, that way if I don't like it I can get it off.

Speedo66
September 22, 2008, 09:04 AM
One of the suppliers (Brownells?) used to carry a crayon type paint applier in gold or silver that worked well.

You just rubbed it over the stamped portion, and wiped off the excess. Lasted quite a while.

230RN
September 22, 2008, 09:29 AM
I had my initials engraved on a Colt Commander slide and filled it with the gold stuff. Looked pretty sharp, yet was only conservatively blingy. "In good taste," in other words.

In a year of use, the filled lettering did not seem to wear perceptibly.

Always regretted selling that gun. Thirty-Eight Super chambering.

RobNDenver
September 22, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have the opposite problem. A previous owner of my M1911 did this to the lettering on the slide and I want to remove it, since it is not supposed to be there.

Any thoughts about how do to do this without affecting my gun's finish?

Gator
September 22, 2008, 09:04 PM
Cheap, widely available, comes in different colors, and effective.

http://i38.tinypic.com/10i5e84.jpg

jrfoxx
September 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
I use the Laquer-Stik things seen here:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK~

Comes in a fair number of colors, is pretty easy to use, looks good, and can be taken off very easily without risk to the finish if you want. A google search for Laquer-Stik will turn up other places that sell it too, sometimes cheaper, and/or in more colors.

I didnt have much luck trying crayons, grease pencils, etc, but other have, so you may need to try a couple things out and see what works for you. I have no artistic abilities or steady hands, so the Laquer-Stik worked best for me, as it was easy to clean up all the excess in places I didnt want it.

Just my personal experiances though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coloring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!