CSI Miami BS

PDA

Yoda
September 22, 2008, 01:12 AM
Anyone see the last CSI Miami? They were trying to chase down a rouge who was selling "special" bullets. These bullets were SO special, according to Horatio, that when they hit something "warm, like human flesh," they break apart, causing horrific wounds, but if they hit something "cold, like body armor," they instantly become armor-piercing rounds.

So, how does the bullet distinguish between the heat generated by the chemical reaction and friction of its initial launch, the heat generated by the kinetic energy of its impact, and so on? In fact, I wonder how much heat is generated by the bullet's passage through the air?

The only good part of this episode was at the end, when Horatio gets shot.

- - - Yoda

=========

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami BS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duke Junior
September 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yoda, CSI Miami is entertainment, pure and simple.Reality is meaningless to cast,crew and producers.
Best to avoid this miserable exercise in mediocre drama if real facts are your major concern.

KiltedClaymore
September 22, 2008, 01:33 AM
this is why i choose to watch CSI: Las Vegas. it may not be perfect, but it is the better of all the CSIs

to the below poster, im mentaly throwing tomatoes at you. cause that is a BAD joke

Duke Junior
September 22, 2008, 01:35 AM
this is why i choose to watch CSI: Las Vegas. it may not be perfect, but it is the better of all the CSIs

What are the odds on that?:D

RaisedByWolves
September 22, 2008, 01:43 AM
My question is, whats wrong with Horitaios neck? Hes constantly got his head canted to the side, does this come from shooting his NINE like a Gangstah? Does he have week neck mucles due to his parents not holding his head properly when he was a baby?

Shows like this just lower the countrys collective IQ, IMO.

RNB65
September 22, 2008, 01:44 AM
I don't watch any fiction cop shows because they're all BS. Watch The First 48 on A&E if you want the real deal.

Dookie
September 22, 2008, 01:46 AM
It's..............a...............tv...................show!!!!

I was bummed when I found out that Star Wars Wasn't real, but I was 6 at the time.

M203Sniper
September 22, 2008, 01:52 AM
I can't get past the cheesy dialogue and lame plots myself.

JDoe
September 22, 2008, 02:03 AM
They probably got the idea for the magic bullet from the Aquila IQ (http://www.aguilaammo.com/iq.htm) line...

We call them intelligent bullets because they recognize the hardness of the target at the moment the projectile hits it, and in nanoseconds the projectile configures accordingly. Thus, if the target is very hard, the IQ bullet will have superior penetration while maintaining its weight and size. If the target is ballistic gelatin, it will not overpenetrate, transferring all the energy into the soft target, and breaking apart into three or four sharp fragments, each creating independent wound channels.

KC0QGL
September 22, 2008, 02:13 AM
I like to watch CSI to see how wrong they are most of the time. Some times they are right, but even broken watch is right twice a day.

crotalus01
September 22, 2008, 02:20 AM
Might as well cry about the Death Star exploding....

Leif Runenritzer
September 22, 2008, 02:22 AM
It's..............a...............tv...................show!!!!

I was bummed when I found out that Star Wars Wasn't real, but I was 6 at the time.
There is some difference between fiction and fantasy.

C. Rabbit
September 22, 2008, 02:24 AM
These bullets were SO special, according to Horatio, that when they hit something "warm, like human flesh," they break apart, causing horrific wounds, but if they hit something "cold, like body armor," they instantly become armor-piercing rounds.

Isn't Miami generally considered a warm clime? Methinks body armor would be pretty warm if a guy was wearing it in that sort of weather. Even their made up world has plot holes.

CR

230RN
September 22, 2008, 02:31 AM
Sounds like that there IQ bulet should be called the Silly Putty bullet. Squooshy when pushed, hard when struck.

Tom Fury
September 22, 2008, 04:47 AM
Is Callie, who knows better than to listen to H,
Cheers, TF

Intrepid Dad
September 22, 2008, 04:57 AM
The only good thing about CSI Miami:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Callie, who knows better than to listen to H,
Cheers, TF

+1 Count me in as a Callie fan. I can overlook the rest of the show because of her. :)

.cheese.
September 22, 2008, 05:56 AM

ROTFLMAO!

TonyB
September 22, 2008, 06:10 AM
every CSI Miami episode:pool party,half naked women,dead body....
every CSI NY:rave type party,half naked women/trannies,dead body
every CSI LV:Vagas night club party,half naked women/mob guys,dead body
all 3 shows are corny,but I just can't buy David Caruse as a tough guy,even w/ the sun glasses.Gary Sinise,sure,but not Caruso.
plus I actually know someone who works in a crime lab...guess what,he doesn't go on raids....no gun...no sunglasses even.....just a lab geek.and the women aren;t all hot.And the lab actually turns the lights on when they do work.reality is not like tv.

Ash
September 22, 2008, 06:27 AM
I got to tour such a lab when in middle school for an AR class (Academic Resources). Yeah, they are very clinical (imagine that) with lights overhead and folks dressed for that environment. I did get to see arsenic in a suspension that had been used in a murder, as well as the ballistics lab where they test-fired weapons (the tech there thought it amusing to let us pick out spent bullets from his box).

Nothing like CSI there, but then, that was in Mobile, AL, not Miami.

Ash

deaconkharma
September 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
the perfume sniffing machine and software that sniffed out a particular scent days after the murder... IN A BATHROOM a day or so after the event!
riiiiiiiiiight....
I pretty much blew the show off as Bovine Excrement after that.:rolleyes:

everallm
September 22, 2008, 08:22 AM
Ahhhh the special secret squirrel bullets as sold by "EXTREME SHOCK" and LeMas/RBCD (Blended Metal Technology) http://www.rbcd.net/

A best it can be said they can probably spell physics.......

michiganfan
September 22, 2008, 08:53 AM
My September 2008 Cheaper Than Dirt catalog sells these bullets. page 3 DRT Ammo.. Dead Right There

Deanimator
September 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
Deriving ANY meaningful lesson about firearms or self-defense from a fictional television show is like learning astrophysics by watching "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars".

NonConformist
September 22, 2008, 08:56 AM
I watched CSI Miami until they did their first gun track to see who it was 'registered' to in their 'database'

There is NO registration in FL(except for the 4473)

I watched CSI NY until the episode where an assassin used an AR for a 800yd shot then screwed the gun apart and hid it in his car and then the CSIs just reassembled it completely by hands, barrel and all

deaconkharma
September 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus? :evil:

MarkDido
September 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
the perfume sniffing machine and software that sniffed out a particular scent days after the murder... IN A BATHROOM a day or so after the event!
riiiiiiiiiight....
I pretty much blew the show off as Bovine Excrement after that.

The problem with shows like this is that it creates the "O. J. Effect" for evidence.

WE all know it's a TV show, but there are some folks that believe wrestling is real and THEY'RE the ones who end up on juries wanting to know why the crime scene folks didn't collect DNA evidence from the purse snatching.

svtruth
September 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
works like thermos bottles, they keep hot things hot and cold things cold, and nobody knows how they can tell the difference.

21H40
September 22, 2008, 09:17 AM
Xtreme thermos bullets? LOL

Of course, once these special bullets become common knowledge, all the BG's will circumvent them by soft wet electric blankets on their body armor! They'll never penetrate that:neener:

MarkDido
September 22, 2008, 09:35 AM
works like thermos bottles, they keep hot things hot and cold things cold, and nobody knows how they can tell the difference.

"Whatcha got in the Thermos there Bubba?"

"Two cups of coffee and a glass of iced tea!"

Deanimator
September 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
Dean

next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus?
Actually, I started to say "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", but I'm a big Flash Gordon (Buster Crabbe) fant. :D

Bezoar
September 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
gotta love hollywood not, on david carusos charecter oddities,
head tilt, thinks it makes him look BADA$$. the lilting speech and simple vocabulary? well thats a result of low IQ and he thinks its bada$$.

on them magic bulets, if they so poorly constructed that hitting a person with a normal body temp of 98 degrees makes them fragment, the heat generated at firing would turn your rifle into a shotgun.

Ed4032
September 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
Are you telling me that Starwars is NOT true??!!

romma
September 22, 2008, 09:49 AM
I caught a minute of this whole they were explainig the science of these bullets. 30 seconds of gobbleygook speak, I couldn't take it anymore and changed the channel.

Tacbandit
September 22, 2008, 09:53 AM
what...??? no santa claus...??? please don't tell me there's no tooth fairy...
No magic bullets??? What's this world coming to?

spuscg
September 22, 2008, 10:15 AM
im making a movie with a friend about horatio caine getting kicked out for his stupid one liners and not knowing anything, he has been in the lab 2 times!!!! once to investigate a bomb that killed his mentor, and once to get some dna.

the plot is horatio and officer deegle chase mr. hacksaw......ill post a link

one episode had calleigh saying since it was a .357 it was either s&w ruger or taurus. not to mention countless other brands, plus rifles and desert eagles

HGUNHNTR
September 22, 2008, 10:36 AM
Turn off your televisions!

hankdatank1362
September 22, 2008, 10:45 AM
I've said it before...

The only fiction I watch on TV (which I rarely watch to begin with) is The Shield, now being followed closely by Sons of Anarchy (gun-running vigilante bikers... it's awesome)

Quoheleth
September 22, 2008, 10:59 AM
david carusos charecter oddities, head tilt, thinks it makes him look BADA$$. the lilting speech and simple vocabulary?

I think [dramatic pause] Horatio [ditto] went to the [trippo] William [emphasis] SHATNER [quadro pause] acting school for his [pause...] speech technique.

And the Elizabeth Taylor academy for sunglass management for his glasses use.

So, to keep this gun-related, what would you call H's shooting stance? Limp-necked Weaver with a gangstah flair?

If it weren't for the very real damage it would do downrange, it would be funny to see one of these actors get a pistol that's loaded with full-power ammo and see what happens when they squeeze the trigger.

Q

NonConformist
September 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
No StarWars IS real...it just happened a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away! :mad:

ilbob
September 22, 2008, 11:05 AM
for some reason I got hooked on flashpoint. its sort of a modern day swat, but less real.

its so far removed from reality i sometimes want to throw stuff at the tv. maybe that is why i watch it.

stargate atlantis is closer to reality.

arjppj
September 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
the problem is, there are many towns in Cali that make legislation based on CSI and SVU.

Avenger29
September 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
What, ya'll didn't like the CSI episode where they said the Ruger 10/22 was chambered in .223 Rem?

Or the episode with the meat bullets?

No StarWars IS real...it just happened a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away!

The best of Starwars anything is the Family Guy spoof.

Wes Janson
September 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ahh, good ol' blended metal technology bullets. Looks like they managed to fool at least one script writer with 'em finally.

novaDAK
September 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
don't forget the CSI miami episode with the "death talon" bullets (I guess Black Talon didn't sound evil enough for them) and on another one I remember hearing one of them say "brass jacketed golden talons" or something like that, referring to golden sabers.

Wopasaurus
September 22, 2008, 11:36 AM
Star Wars was a documentary... Filmed in real-time

spuscg
September 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
csi las vegas said the 223 is a high powered snipers round

Tommygunn
September 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
csi las vegas said the 223 is a high powered snipers round

It is if the recipient is a prairie dog. :neener::D

doc busha
September 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
just a cheap TV can't believe a thing is says.
remember; never believe anything you
hear and only half of what you see!

Old Dog
September 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
just a cheap TV can't believe a thing is says.Huh? Posting in English gets one's message across much better ...

Why obsess about gross inaccuracies and horrendous writing in television series? CSI Miami, after all, would have one believe that, (1) ALL firearms are registered in Florida, and (2) Miami-Dade PD CSIs can take one fired bullet from any legally owned firearm (that's never been used in a crime), match it to a specific gun AND bring up a photo and address on the gun's owner on the lab's cool computer monitor ...

Write the network and tell 'em the show's writing stinks; perhaps someone will pay attention. It worked before when hundreds of military folks e-mailed, wrote and called CBS in an effort to get the show JAG written with more accuracy and attention to detail on Navy and Marine Corps issues.

JDoe
September 22, 2008, 01:55 PM
David Caruso fans or haters can get their fill of his one liners you youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948

1911Tuner
September 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
It's TV. Entertainment. I agree that it should be renamed "The Emily Procter Hour" but they didn't ask me.

My question is, whats wrong with Horitaios neck? Hes constantly got his head canted to the side, does this come from shooting his NINE like a Gangstah? ?

It's because he's cross dominant. Right-handed and left-eyed. He has to get the sights lined up with his dominant eye, and he does it by canting the gun and his head.

Old Grump
September 22, 2008, 02:47 PM
The question was asked before, he says its called acting. Trying to look thoughtful and caring. I watch it only because I don't like what else I can get then but I have to admit I cringe when they show up at a crime scene in low cut blouses and high heels. I also never heard of a real life CSI being part of a SWAT team maneuver. Then there are the uber fast computer checks and the nearly instant DNA results. Our lab in Wisconsin is years behind. I'll stick with the other 2 shows, Vegas and New York. Still Hollywood but a little less glitz.

NavajoNPaleFace
September 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
My wife gets aggrevated when I sit and say..."See that? That's not the way in real life."

Good example..Sunday evening a young man is shot in an elevator and when the door opens he falls out.

OK....not what I would expect but, hey!

Alex...the ME...examines the body and he had a gun shot entry wound in his left facial area and she says, "Bullet went all the way through. He was dead before he hit the floor."

There was a pool of blood under his head.

The heart stops....blood flow stops.

Where are their techincal advisors or are the ones they have clueless?

Grrrrrrr.

Like someone pointed out...it's entertainment and I still watch the dang shows.

Dookie
September 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
People, seriously, it's a work of fiction, if it was done by the standards of reality it would be about as exciting as watching CSPAN, or reruns of Bowling tournaments, or even worse, big brother.

And Star Wars was not a documentary, it was a propaganda film distributed by the rebels to turn us against the Empire

zoom6zoom
September 22, 2008, 03:55 PM
Emily looks great in them, but I doubt a real scene investigator would wear white pants on the job!

halfbreed808
September 22, 2008, 08:45 PM
Like my dad says," You know why that happened?... 'cause it's in the script." :evil::D

stolivar
September 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
I saw something like this on modern weapons. They were talking about such a bullet that would react differently. I think it was still theory though

steve

RonE
September 22, 2008, 09:17 PM
So, how does the bullet distinguish between the heat generated by the chemical reaction and friction of its initial launch, the heat generated by the kinetic energy of its impact, and so on? In fact, I wonder how much heat is generated by the bullet's passage through the air?

The answer simply is, these bullets work through the magic of television.

spuscg
September 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
i think ill watch miami tonight, i need a good laugh

jim in Anchorage
August 23, 2009, 03:06 AM
Anyone see the last CSI Miami? They were trying to chase down a rouge who was selling "special" bullets. These bullets were SO special, according to Horatio, that when they hit something "warm, like human flesh," they break apart, causing horrific wounds, but if they hit something "cold, like body armor," they instantly become armor-piercing rounds.

I just saw it. Another interesting fact was Russian 9MM ammo made in 1969 is loaded with BLACK POWDER.:D

RDak
August 23, 2009, 05:00 AM
Anyone see the last CSI Miami?

I've never even seen the first CSI Miami. :D

FuzzyBunny
August 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
I like NCIS more than the others. I quit watching all CSIs when they drug science through the mud.

To tell the truth I like to watch the Mossad woman and wonder where she hides her knife.

divemedic
August 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
Google "CSI EFFECT" and you will see why this is a problem. People are watching this ridiculous stuff and think that CSI labs can actually do all of the things they do- warrantless searches, 20 minute DNA tests, and that all of the tests that are done are 100% accurate, that criminal science is fast, infallible, and always gets its man.

This is exactly how the confusion on the "AR-15 style rifle being a machine gun" that has been used to great effect by the Brady bunch got started, fake TV drama. Television is destroying the IQ of this nation.

EvanWilliams
August 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
One of the dumbest shows on TV.
Garbage like this is still on while The Unit was cancelled.

smallbore
August 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
Guess the folks at CBS/CSI writers did their job. We are all talking about it & some continue to watch it. To be honest. . .the blonde that plays with the guns is okay by me.

DougDubya
August 23, 2009, 08:45 PM
If the CSI programs showed off the real processes by which evidence is processed or discovered, dimwits watching the show might try to plan a "perfect murder."

Which is why Michael Westin on Burn Notice never says WHICH common household chemicals are used by Fiona to whip up her high explosives.

rbernie
August 23, 2009, 09:09 PM
It's fiction. Let's move past that, back into the real world. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami BS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!