Neat Poster Re. Recent bear Attacks

PDA

Cosmoline
September 22, 2008, 03:05 AM
I saw this poster at a local bike shop, put up in response to a string of attacks over the summer around Anchorage.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/bears.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Neat Poster Re. Recent bear Attacks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
September 22, 2008, 03:29 AM
Wow, I really like that. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kind of Blued
September 22, 2008, 03:41 AM
Only in Alaska! And I mean that in a good way.

If only we could perform a surgical procedure in which Alaska and California are swapped geographically... Any photo-shoppers want to take a whack at it?

KC0QGL
September 22, 2008, 03:55 AM
You need to show that poster to all the Anti's out there.

LaEscopeta
September 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Don't let the bears steal your trails.Weren't the bears there first? Aren't you stealing the bears' trails? And shooting them when they try to exercise their right to defend their home from armed intruders?

Anyway lots of predators, including humans, wait by the trails their prey animals make. Bike trails are just a step. Soon the bears are going to wait by the sidewalks leading to Starbucks in downtown Anchorage for the half awake people who have not had their coffee. Or outside the bars in Fairbanks & Juneau, waiting for closing time.

Cosmoline
September 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
LOL Well it's not that far from reality. Thankfully we don't taste very good.

RoadkingLarry
September 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
Change the picture form a bear to a generic "bad guy" and change trail to street. and "game animal" to violent criminal offender" and "Alaskan" to American and I think we would be on to something...

langenc
September 22, 2008, 12:50 PM
Is that trails or balls? Reflection in a bad place.

BruceRDucer
September 22, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Cosmoline, darn relevent post.

Very glad to see the accurate info is getting out to those in Alaska.:):):):):):what::scrutiny::scrutiny::scrutiny:

IndianaBoy
September 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/moreusefulthancamera.jpg

Zoogster
September 22, 2008, 03:45 PM
Change the picture form a bear to a generic "bad guy" and change trail to street. and "game animal" to violent criminal offender" and "Alaskan" to American and I think we would be on to something...
The thing is such posters have that eventual effect on citizens that would otherwise be opposed to shooting another human being. It reminds people on a primal level they can understand, and leads to more recognition of basic self defense against all threats, including violent predatory human beings.

I think it is sad such animals have been wiped to extinction in most of thier former range which included over half of the United States. So promoting people to shoot first without taking other precautions could have the same result in Alaska. So overstating the threat is also not wise.

Such predators are in fact very important for the RKBA. Few places that have such active and visible predators become pacifists against self defense. If CA still had the Grizzly Bear on the state flag roaming around I doubt it would have some of the gun laws it does.
Remove things that can eat people from the wilderness, and they start being less concerned with self defense, and more concerned with creating regulations on trivial things.

Our constitution was written in a time when wild predators existed throughout America. When native raiding parties attacked towns and people on a regular basis often trying to exterminate the inhabitants (and were victimized themselves, don't go PC on me) and threat of foriegn forces was high (surrounded by other expanding competing colonial powers, and an angry homeland they had broken away from.)

A time when petty regulations governing small aspects of life were seen as just that, petty legislation they could do without.

Keep the Grizzly alive and roaming around and the people will be less petty, and promote self defense on all fronts. Against both dangerous animals and dangerous human beings.
In reality the bears are highly predictable, and not a major threat to those that take certain precautions. A firearm is just a basic logical backup if those precautions don't work.
So something that in reality poses little threat to most does a great job reminding everyone that thier safety and self preservation rests in thier own hands. That mindset is then a part of the population.

I do disagree with the 'take back' wording. It implies the trails were originaly the peoples' when they were originaly the bears', just like most of the country was. That promotes a mindset to slaughter the 'invader' to 'return' to a situation that didn't really exist. You want to promote a willingness to defend with force, not a desire to exterminate a percieved invading danger.

Stevie-Ray
September 22, 2008, 11:53 PM
I do disagree with the 'take back' wording. It implies the trails were originaly the peoples' when they were originaly the bears', just like most of the country was. That promotes a mindset to slaughter the 'invader' to 'return' to a situation that didn't really exist. You want to promote a willingness to defend with force, not a desire to exterminate a percieved invading danger.Sorry, but I think we are the masters here. I firmly believe we have dominion over all animals and the lives and well being of people come far before any animals. Besides, the people of Alaska have been very patient with conservation to the point of being overrun in some cases. Treat animals with respect, but not to the point of peril to humans. I think it fits rather well.

KiltedClaymore
September 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
lol @ post #10. i only have one bear picture

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/thedreadfather_2007/1425337783_l.jpg

Tacbandit
September 23, 2008, 12:07 AM
Good stuff!!!!!!!!! Thanks........!

Tacbandit
September 23, 2008, 12:08 AM
I have a brother up there, and that's been his policy for a long time

Cosmoline
September 23, 2008, 12:18 AM
So something that in reality poses little threat to most does a great job reminding everyone that thier safety and self preservation rests in thier own hands.

Keep in mind this warning about bears is, in fact, a warning about bears. Real bears. Not joke bears on some cable joke show. There were an unusual number of maulings in the city itself this season, so the threat is not imaginary. The point of the poster is to remind people that they are legally allowed to use the trails and they can defend themselves if attacked. It's not an effort to kill all the bears or some other nonsense. We're talking about urban trails in the city.

It implies the trails were originaly the peoples' when they were originaly the bears', just like most of the country was. That promotes a mindset to slaughter the 'invader' to 'return' to a situation that didn't really exist.

The bears didn't cut the trails, in most cases local bike clubs and city parks and rec did. I think you're reading way too much into the poster. It's in response to a very specific problem--the fact that cyclists and hikers need to protect themselves. Ideally, of course, we leave each other alone. And usually that is the case. But the solution of simply abandoning large sections of urban parkland during peak summer days because there are bear in the area is absurd. There are always going to be bear around in the summer. But if a bear tries to kill you, you kill should be prepared to kill it right back. It's that simple.

There's also the question of whether the bears that did some of these maulings had been the same ones that tried to attack others on the same trails, and whether the tragedy could have been prevented by simply doing a DLP shooting right there on the spot during the first attacks, instead of waiting for someone to get torn apart.

Not to pick on you, but I see a similar attitude quite a bit from the Lower 48. It's the notion that there is a "bear space" where bears should be and no people. These folks tend to view Alaska as one big zoo, and don't think too much of the humans who have jumped into the cage, so to speak. In reality, we have a pretty advanced view of wildlife, which is why we have so much more of it than anyone else. Much more advanced than those who do not live with large wild animals. Alaskans generally know that wild animals are neither the Disney cuddle muffins of PETA or the snarling kill machines of fiction. They are just another thing to live with. Part of that means being able and willing to defend yourself.

sailortoo
September 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hey folks - the poster just asks for the use of the trails in a safe way, not extermination of the bears. If unexpectedly confronted by a really big, really unhappy brown bear (even a smallest, unhappy brown bear), I would want the biggest hand cannon I could handle! If the bear wants to drift off into the woods, great - if not, self defense is an unalienable right - bear or whatever. And, California has made the lion population sacrosanct, there fore, we now have partly eaten carcasses of former bikers and hikers - who should have been armed, but can't be. A dilemma! Nice posters, and great photo!
sailortoo

Catherine
September 23, 2008, 04:57 AM
Good poster and thank you for putting it up here.

Take care.

Catherine

3KillerBs
September 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
Beautifully put, Cosmoline.

Farnorthdan
September 23, 2008, 01:34 PM
If only we could perform a surgical procedure in which Alaska and California are swapped geographically

No thanks....I like it just the way it is...

DS

Cosmoline
September 23, 2008, 01:42 PM
Ditto that! LOL

ridata
September 23, 2008, 01:50 PM
Where is THR member Keith when we need him?

TonyB
September 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's like I say about the planet.....it's killing US.floods,earth quakes,tsunamis,bears,locusts,fires...it's about time we started fighting back..it's us or the planet.'come on...who's with me.......let's goooooooo...no one....anyone...anyone....Bheuler.....Bheuler......ok never mind.
/sarcasm/..it's ok,Obama will fix it all.:uhoh:

Titan6
September 23, 2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know why you guys think this is funny. I had a 300 pound black break into my house in Virginia and raid my pantry last year. The bear broke two windows; one on the way in and one on the way out. Not to mention the literal disaster that was made of some of my food stores. Or the fact that I had an aggresive 300 pound animal with long teeth and big claws inside my house that I did not invite in.

I wasn't home so there was no bear rug to be had but I do have two smallish children that had bad dreams for a few nights and were worried about the bear coming back to eat them. I don't live in the mountains either, only about three minutes from a shopping mall and a bunch of car dealerships.

KiltedClaymore
September 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
never said it was funny. and if the kids were worried, show them the 12 gauge loaded with slugs and say "if the bear comes back, he dies".

RobMoore
September 23, 2008, 05:57 PM
This thread reminds me of a "news" story I just read.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/brave_mountain_lion_fends_off

If you enjoyed reading about "Neat Poster Re. Recent bear Attacks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!