Derrginer Rider? Anyone got one... .17 balls anyone?

PDA

Mp7
September 22, 2008, 07:11 AM
Hi Guys,

i just had UPS deliver my freshly auctioned
Derringer Rider Replica.

http://www.derringer.de/4-rid-37.jpg

...wherethe.. do i get 4,3mm /.17 lead balls for it??
Has anyone epxerimented with adding a tiny bit of propellant
to the cap... for more pleasure?

Cheers, Mp7

If you enjoyed reading about "Derrginer Rider? Anyone got one... .17 balls anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1858rem
September 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
neat little guns there, i think bbs for bb guns are too big... so dont try shooting them, not to mention they are steel. you could try some haevy shot sizes, try a box loaded with #2 shot, #4 is too small, and you may actually have to go to buckshot. that would be a good starting point though.

DrLaw
September 22, 2008, 08:58 AM
Everything I have seen on these little guns say, no powder. Cap pressure only.

As for lead balls, you might try Midway. I think one of the BB manufacturers they list makes lead ball BB's. I think Cabela's and Dixie carry the .17 balls, too.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

bonza
September 22, 2008, 06:27 PM
MP7 is in Germany, so ordering them from Cabela's might take a while & they should be available in his area as the old Haenel rifles used lead BBs. Gamo, H&N, & others make a .17 caliber lead BB that should be just the ticket for that Rider. Here's a link:
http://www.4komma5.de/advanced_search_result.php?XTCsid=6c7d18de5b30d783e5e1a7380883796c&keywords=Rundkugel

KiltedClaymore
September 22, 2008, 08:30 PM
cabellas.

scrat
September 22, 2008, 08:57 PM
cap only. hmmm good thing i dont have one. i would be too tempted to put in a couple of grains of holy black in there

Chawbaccer
September 22, 2008, 10:01 PM
Number "B" shot is .17. That is not "BB" which is .18

Mp7
September 23, 2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys, ...i already found a source for them... at pharmacy-prices though.

like 20$ for 500 balls..... but hey...

(Had a **** workweek... like 70+ hours.. i think iŽll
borrow a .50AE at the range and do some boooom!)

HisSoldier
September 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
I was looking at one of those too, and found a site that mentioned some brand of conical pellets that are heavier than common pellets. I don't see what trying a run of the mill pellet would hurt.

Mp7
September 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
..yeah - plus with only a cap behind it - i donŽt see heavier bullets improving anything.

HisSoldier
September 23, 2008, 12:12 PM
Found this, kinda poor quality.
http://www.truveo.com/remington-rider-pistol-my-new-toy-3/id/203836587

bonza
September 25, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hey MP7, did you shoot that Rider yet? How about a report.......please!!

mec
September 26, 2008, 09:50 AM
what trying a run of the mill pellet would hurt.

I saw a post a couple of years ago from a guy who had shot .177 pellets in his. You might even be able to stuff a few tenths grain in the base of a diabolo pellet. Probably wouldn't hurt anything unless it blew out the nose of the pellet. If that happened you could push out the skirt with a rod of some sort.
Back in the 60s, some gunwriter converted a K22 to shoot pellets powered by small pistol primers. It worked very well. I trided shooting 22 pellets out of my colt buntline scout powered by acorn blanks but hose things woud just blow a hole out the end of the pellet.

Mp7
September 26, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yep - it does work.

Like seen in the utube vids - usually the first trigger-pull
only pushes the cap tighter onto the piston.
The second triggerpull then does the job.

i just received the ball-ammo, so it will be tryouts tonite :)
already shot a little flare-ball i took from a new-years rocket!
That was really cool. It flew like 20ft.

a fun lil gun-thingy!

RyanM
September 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
You might even be able to stuff a few tenths grain in the base of a diabolo pellet. Probably wouldn't hurt anything unless it blew out the nose of the pellet. If that happened you could push out the skirt with a rod of some sort.

I suspect any powder at all would blow off the tip. I epoxied a short length of .22 barrel (one of them things for converting a brass cap and ball derringer into a .22) into a .40 S&W case, awhile ago. With a CCI small pistol primer (CCIs are supposed to be the "coolest" primers on the market), 9 out of 10 shots, only the tip exits, and then I have to dig the skirt out.

That guy's converted K22 probably had more of a gap between the primer and pellet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Derrginer Rider? Anyone got one... .17 balls anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!