Carry and Tell Poll

PDA

twoclones
September 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
This statement from another thread made me wonder how others feel about letting friends know that you carry concealed.

Really, people who don't like you can cause you endless problems if they know you carry concealed. Don't tell your neighbors, don't tell your friends(unless you have to because you're carrying at their house and you're required to by law), and don't tell anybody who doesn't really, really, really need to know.

It seems to me that one way to reduce the vilification of gun owners is for "mild mannered" gun owners to come out of the closet and demonstrate that not all gun owners are anarchists and criminals.

Example:
At a dinner for a local singles group one woman was very shocked to learn that I even owned a gun and more upset when I told her I had a permit to carry. "I'd never date a man who carried a gun" she said. So while I had an audience I decided to take advantage of it. I told them that having a concealed carry permit was proof that a person had no felony or domestic abuse convictions and that the state and local police trusted them to be armed. On the other hand, any one without a concealed carry permit just might be legally unable to get one because of a criminal record...

The Gay community went from being persecuted to having hit television shows by saying "We're here and we're queer." Why shouldn't the CCW community be saying "We're here and we have proof we are not criminals."

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry and Tell Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
misANTHrope
September 22, 2008, 10:08 AM
Generally, I don't volunteer the info to people, but neither do I deny it if asked.

PTK
September 22, 2008, 10:13 AM
Generally, I don't volunteer the info to people, but neither do I deny it if asked.

Same here. I've found many, many, MANY shooting buddies with this policy. :)

fspitzdorf
September 22, 2008, 10:17 AM
Aside from the fiance, family, boss (who likes that I carry) and close friends (who also carry) I don't publicize it.

Most of the time she doesn't even know that I'm carrying until I either remove it and place it in the center counsel while driving or remove it when I get home.

Biker
September 22, 2008, 10:29 AM
My very close friends find out anyway and they're all shooters.

Biker

Mainsail
September 22, 2008, 11:36 AM
I don't tell anyone, but I only carry concealed about 10% of the time. Open carry tells everyone!

ronwill
September 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Those that know me also know that I carry. I'm not ashamed of it and the only way they can truly cause problems is if you do something not entirely legal.

romma
September 22, 2008, 12:02 PM
I tell some people. People I am close to know. I like people to know about their rights. Here in CT, you might be suprised about the number of people that have absolutely zero knowledge that it is legal to carry a handgun..

elrod
September 22, 2008, 02:18 PM
I tell some people.

Or, show them your CCW badge! :D

B00SS
September 22, 2008, 02:55 PM
I share the sentiment of the OP. But only with my close friends. My close friends know that I carry and also know that it is due to my lack of a criminal record that I am allowed to carry. They know that those who carry legally in the state of Texas also have to know the laws regarding the use of deadly force.

NG VI
September 22, 2008, 03:06 PM
Some people in my life find out, often because they are longtime friends and I am trying to get them to buy their own guns, and I figure the best way to get them to purchase one is to show them my sweet new pistol that I got a great deal on, and let them know exactly where they can get the exact same thing or advertise something I think they may want, like the Russian Makarov I told my friend who has always had an interest in all things Soviet about, or the CZ 40B I tell everyone and their dog about (I've already got mine, and they are the best deal going on new pistols).

Very few members of my family know I carry though, because they have a strong tilt towards the idea that if you don't have any weapons you will never need them. Actually that no one will ever need a weapon and that the people who do have them are just perpetuating the circle of violence. Told my grandmother about the time a character showed up on my doorstep at eleven at night (he had been at the front apartments door almost two hours earlier knocking, then left after twenty apparently unsuccesful minutes) and I stated that luckily I had my CZ with me when I answered the door and she was clearly shocked that I would consider that an appropriate state of dress for answering the door.

I reminded her that the house next door has quite a few drunks and drug users/sellers, and occasionally it sounds like they are using our parking lot for transactions. And the guy (who was surprisingly polite and left as soon as I told him the guys he was looking for didn't live their) was very obviously some kind of cocaine or opiate user looking for more.

Treo
September 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
If you tell one person everyone will eventually know. My nieghbor across the street knows, one CSP trooper knows, the El Paso County sheriff knows. and that's about it.

I made the mistake of telling a friend in church once the next week in the middle of a conversation out of no where he says " Toms got a gun"

I never made that mistake again

Tacbandit
September 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
I feel like it's on a "need to know" basis...If I feel you need to know, I'll tell
you...If you don't know...I obviously didn't feel the need to tell you. Not a lot of people know I carry, and those that do are largely made up of other permit
holders, and gun owners..."less is best"....:scrutiny:

JesseL
September 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
I often open carry, so when I conceal it's probably no big secret to anyone who's been paying attention.

RobNDenver
September 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
Most of my friends know that I am carrying. I am a retired cop and so are most of them. I don't tell people that I know casually that I carry a gun, or that I even own one.

possum
September 22, 2008, 05:47 PM
my friends and family know. that is about it.

Flyboy
September 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
Frankly, I think it's important that we tell people.

Carrying a firearm is nothing to be ashamed of; if anything, it should be a point of pride. We choose to take responsibility for ourselves. "...I waive immunity and claim my right -- I go armed."

More importantly, though, is that we have the opportunity to act as emissaries to the non-carrying public: an ambassador, if you will, from the normal, responsible, well-protected public to the normal, responsible, unarmed public that says "we be of one blood, ye and I."

By being open with our choice, we can demonstrate through personal interaction that we're just normal people. We're not crazy, not bloodthirsty, we don't have that evil glint in our eyes. We all know that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data," but we often lose the culture war by failing to exploit the fact that most people take anecdotes--personal experience--far more seriously than data.

We need to stop that.

I'm not suggesting introducing yourself as "Mike, and there's a gun on my hip," but if the topic should naturally arise (and there are plenty of opportunities for it to arise, should you ever discuss the news), use it. If somebody mentions a recent murder/rape/mugging, casually comment "I wonder why he didn't defend himself." When your counterpart says he was unarmed, act genuinely surprised, as though you think it's perfectly normal to carry a tool of defense.

By openly carrying concealed, I've made numerous friends, and I've taken several to the range for their first time--one of them a girl who watched her mother murdered when she was five. In fact, she asked me to take her to the range. She didn't get into shooting (I'm not a miracle worker), but she accepted it as reasonable and responsible, and though she's not interested in owning a gun, she at least doesn't think it should be restricted.

You have the opportunity to counter propaganda in a very effective, personal way. Don't waste it.

Kind of Blued
September 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
The only people that know are the people that I feel I could hand my backup gun to if we were together and something went reaaally badly.

freakshow10mm
September 23, 2008, 12:21 AM
I carry both openly and concealed and couldn't care less who knows I carry.

KC0QGL
September 23, 2008, 12:42 AM
I OC around most of my friends & family and CC in public 90% of the time.

762 shooter
September 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
No one should know.

What would be the benefit?????

When they find out they should be saying,
" Man, am I glad you had that thing!! "

6_gunner
September 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
I never tell anyone that I'm carrying. My close friends know that I'm always armed as long as I'm awake, dressed, and not at work. There's no need to tell them. Why would I want anyone other than my close friends to know that I'm armed? I don't want any jokers that I barely know asking if they can see my gun.

However, its no secret that I own guns. I talk about going to the shooting range, and discuss my collection if the subject arises. If we want people to stop fearing gun owners, then its silly to hide the fact that we are ones.

If we go around bragging about our carry pieces, then we reinforce the idea that guns are macho toys. However, if we are secretive about the fact that we own guns, then people will never learn to accept us. We should treat the gun ownership as just another normal aspect of our lives: no need to go around talking about it all the time, but no need to hide it.

FireArmFan
September 23, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't go running around shouting to random people about it, but it's no secret to friends and family. If someone asks or I get into a gun related conversation I wont hide the fact that I carry.

strat81
September 23, 2008, 01:50 PM
I don't go running around shouting to random people about it, but it's no secret to friends and family. If someone asks or I get into a gun related conversation I wont hide the fact that I carry.
Agreed.

I'm more upfront up CCW than I am about how many and what types of guns I know. Those questions usually get "I dunno, a few I guess."

Soybomb
September 23, 2008, 01:50 PM
No one should know.

What would be the benefit?????
You might teach someone that concealed carry isn't just for cops and criminals, regular guys carry guns to protect themselves and their families.

I'm a concealed carry evangelist, I'm not shy about telling people about it.

JackBurtonJr
September 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
I made the mistake of telling a friend in church once the next week in the middle of a conversation out of no where he says " Toms got a gun"

Exact same thing with my wife carrying but he decided to blurt it out while she was standing in line at a bank. She was not amused.

Creature
September 23, 2008, 02:14 PM
I tell only if asked...by my wife.

Old Grump
September 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
I voted no but because I am in Wisconsin I can only OC. When I had to carry, it was in Illinois, I told nobody for obvious reasons. The last 2 posts outlined the problem perfectly.

OregonJohnny
September 23, 2008, 02:53 PM
I tell ONLY my close friends, and by "close friends" I mean my girlfriend, my family, my best friend (who also CCs) and my dog. Acquaintances and casual friends, even if I've known them for years, have no reason to be told.

Legionnaire
September 23, 2008, 02:59 PM
I don't publicize it, but I don't try to hide the fact from close friends. Most people who know me know that I hunt and shoot regularly. Many know that I carry wherever legal. I'm always looking for an opportunity to win someone, and if telling will help do that, I will.

Years ago, I got my colleagues at a large university used to the idea that I carried a folding knife by using it to cut bagels at staff meetings. First time it came out, some of them gasped. Later on, though, they just accepted it as part of my standard equipment. I like being matter-of-fact about such things, and winning others' confidence in the process.

mr.72
September 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well I have been carrying for about a month now. Originally I wanted to keep a lid on this info. I mentioned it to my wife one day, because she asked directly. She hadn't noticed (I guess I concealed pretty well!). Well she told her friend, and I am sure that word is going to get out whether I like it or not.

So now the question becomes: do I try and head this off and control the flow of this information?

For example, there are a number of people who may find out, and be surprised when they find out. So do I carefully tell these people in a controlled environment or risk that they are going to catch a glimpse and suddenly, in a crowd, say "Oh my gosh! are you carrying a gun?!?!"

Should I try and anticipate who is going to find out by rumor and head it off by telling them in my own terms?

I am on the fence about this.

AlaskaErik
September 23, 2008, 03:37 PM
Don't ask, don't tell. I always keep it to myself.

dtalley
September 23, 2008, 04:23 PM
I don't tell but, many friends and family know because they took the classes with me or we often discuss guns and choices.

Carlos Cabeza
September 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
I always keep it to myself when in mixed company. My closest friends and relatives are the only ones who would be aware of my CCW. A few times I have mistakenly admitted to carrying but it always seems to be interpreted differently by different people. It is a fine line betwween braggart and confident, and seems to go hand in hand with the type of person who is made aware of the fact.

I always start out with hunting as an icebreaker and go from there.

Huddog
September 23, 2008, 04:32 PM
My closest friends know because they carry also. Generally I only know of one person I told who I was not sure was pro ccw and she acepted it and stated that she just didn't think it was for her. I invited her to shoot but she hasn't accepted. Yet.

Legionnaire
September 23, 2008, 05:58 PM
So now the question becomes: do I try and head this off and control the flow of this information?My wife, kids, and close friends all know (through conversations with me) that if I choose to tell others that I carry, that is my choice. They are not at liberty to tell others that I carry. That's the way I'd handle it with your inner circle.

sailortoo
September 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
As stated by others - don't ask, don't tell. I don't feel it is anyone's business but myself and my wife, if I am packing (and I always am!). And where does this term "ashamed" come into the conversation? I have no idea why anyone packing should be "ashamed" of it, it's just no one else's business.
sailortoo

CajunBass
September 23, 2008, 06:12 PM
If anyone I know hasn't figured it out by now, they're blind AND stupid. Since I open carry more than half the time, I guess a lot of people I don't know, know it too.

Big deal. I've got a gun. I've got a cell phone and a laptop computer too.

PennsyPlinker
September 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
Since I OC most of the time, I don't have to waste time telling people I carry a gun! :D

jonmerritt
September 23, 2008, 08:37 PM
I open carry on my property, nothing like advertising to the local bg's, that they don't belong here. Nay sayers say ,"they will take it and use it on you" good luck with that. Or break in when I am gone and steal them, again, good luck with that.

jakemccoy
September 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
It depends on your environment and your set of friends. Here, in northern California, it would be better to keep my CCW on a need-to-know basis. The concept of civilians carrying a handgun is a rather bizarre concept in most of California. The unnecessary attention would not be positive for me.

I live in a county where getting a CCW permit is basically impossible. Even I would be shocked (and jealous) if I came across another citizen in my county who is legally carrying concealed. By the way, I do carry concealed at home and don't tell anyone.

Regarding open carry, I'm not comfortable with the concept yet, but I'm getting there. Keep in mind where I am.

jakemccoy
September 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
The Gay community went from being persecuted to having hit television shows by saying "We're here and we're queer." Why shouldn't the CCW community be saying "We're here and we have proof we are not criminals."

That's a good point actually.

However, a huge difference with the gun owner community is that there are a large portion of gun owners who don't have empathy for the cause. Their contribution to gun rights is waking up, having a beer, saying their obligatory profanity to their neighbors and then knocking bottles off their fence with their .45. Others come onto forums like this to bad mouth organizations like the NRA, while they offer no viable alternatives. There are a whole bunch of free rider gun owners who would be first in line to criticize a movement of gun owners who decide to open carry.

In the gay community, I imagine that every single gay person felt the burden of their gayness since birth. It should be easy to unify gays on the issue of acceptance. Even the mellow gays do not openly criticize the flamboyant gays.

Archer1945
September 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have one friend at work who knows I carry and that is because we took our CCW class together. Another friend from work also knows I carry because we have talked about it for several years and he had his Florida permit several years before I got my Missouri and Utah permits. Besides these two there are just a few others outside my family who know I carry and none are the type who are going to spout off about me having a gun.

P5 Guy
September 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
So far. I really want open carry in the Gunshine State.

SigP229R
September 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
I don't make it a point to just outright tell anyone but, most of the people I know know that I carry and this includes my Pastor and Assistant Pastor who by the way is a LEO and they do not have any problems with it.

Rich K
September 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
My closest freinds know. As I have had a heart attask some years ago, if we are out and I need to go to the hospital, I want my piece taken care of by someone that I know and trust, not a stranger. AS these close freinds are LEO, I am not worried about it, and should a worst case scenario raise it's ugly head, they know there is one more gun they can count on if needed.

MDMadrid
September 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
Any one who needs to know...knows.

Tribal
September 24, 2008, 07:27 PM
deleted

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry and Tell Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!