Tips on buying guns and turning a profit?

PDA

DontBurnMyFlag
September 22, 2008, 05:34 PM
:cool:Hey all,

Im not trying to start a thread on how to create a thriving gun store or FFL type business. But does anyone here buy junk guns, or bargain guns, and then re-sell them either to other stores or at gun shows for profit?

Over the weekend, I sold 3 guns, mostly junk, one good rifle, and turned made $1100. Considering it was about $1300 worth of guns but they were purchased years ago. I still think I made out alright.

Im just curious as if anyone has any tips on what types sell. Whether it be cleaning up an SKS or modifying it with bubba-tactical pieces and then selling it. Or finding a really nice bargain somewhere and just giving it a good home to someone else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips on buying guns and turning a profit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
September 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Anything under around $500 will likely be your best bet.

You want to make sure to keep it "hobbyist" type stuff or you could run afoul of the ATF. They frown on that sort of thing ya know. ;)

A clean up job on an old Mosin or SKS or a gun you shoot for a month and sell to get another shouldn't get you in trouble. You're just "turning over your collection" for lack of a better term. Just don't try making a huge profit or a living of it without an FFL.

-T.

RobNDenver
September 22, 2008, 05:40 PM
I know of a number of people who make some money, buying and reselling used firearms. I have learned from talking to them, that it is hard work and not nearly as much fun as it was in the past. As soon as one of my friends has his youngest out of college, he is a former FFL.

Vern Humphrey
September 22, 2008, 05:44 PM
Buy low, sell high. That's all there is to it.:p

BTW, if you do it to make money, you have to have an FFL.

DontBurnMyFlag
September 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
good info. but yea, i dont want to do this as a source of income or something. I have a great career. Its just that I see a beat up old rifle for like 50 bucks at a gun show and I think to myself. I could give it a home for a bit, clean her up and then give it a better home to make room in my safe for more guns lol.

MRIman
September 22, 2008, 06:06 PM
As a "collector", I always look at "what I could sell it for" when adding
some thing to the collection. I don't buy with "i'll flip it" in my mind.
I do like to think that the things I buy are worth more then i'm paying for them,most times they are.

Thernlund
September 22, 2008, 06:23 PM
good info. but yea, i dont want to do this as a source of income or something. I have a great career. Its just that I see a beat up old rifle for like 50 bucks at a gun show and I think to myself. I could give it a home for a bit, clean her up and then give it a better home to make room in my safe for more guns lol.

I think you'll be fine. Just enjoying your hobby as many of us do. http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

-T.

Armueller2001
September 22, 2008, 06:24 PM
Buy 20 of the cheapest "junk guns" you can get your hands on and go sell them at gun buybacks for $100 or more each...

22-rimfire
September 22, 2008, 06:44 PM
It is tough to sell many firearms and make money consistantly. Gun Shows are probably the easiest place to sell and you can usually rent a table if you want to.

As mentioned, Buy Low and Sell High.... but isn't that what everyone complains about with FFL dealers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips on buying guns and turning a profit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!