Question for CCW license holders

PDA

Smaug
September 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
Forgive my ignorance on this. I've lived in Illinois my whole life.

On a factory trip a while back, I was visiting a client in Minnesota, and on their front door was a sign that said: "No guns allowed on premises"

I believe government buildings (including the post office) have the same policies, and also schools. Probably banks too.

So even in carry states, folks have to leave their guns behind?

One point I like to make to anti-gun people is that if one or more students in the Northern Illinois University shooting earlier this year were carrying, this may not have been so tragic. But then, it occurred to me that these kids wouldn't be allowed to carry anyway on account of their age. (mostly under 21) The teachers probably wouldn't be allowed to carry either. (since it wasn't Texas)

The result is that folks can carry in public, but only in public. Any time they venture onto private property, they would have to know & respect the rules, to the point of giving up their right to bear arms.

Is this pretty much right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for CCW license holders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
D-Day
September 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
Pretty much.

Harvster
September 22, 2008, 05:15 PM
The laws vary form state to state but most have provisions for private businesses to post no guns signs. Federal law covers post offices and other such places.

cambeul41
September 22, 2008, 11:01 PM
There are few places that I go that I cannot carry. As a college teacher, the classroom is one of them.

I do not recall seeing any prohibitive signs. I can carry in a bank. I cannot carry in the club house of my club since it has a full service bar and sells more beer than food.

antsi
September 22, 2008, 11:10 PM
I think there may be some states where a business posting a "no carry" sign has some force of law.

Not in my state - Indiana. Here, it is just a situation where the business owner can ask you to leave. It carries no legal or criminal force.

Sometimes a private party or business may have some leverage over a person. For instance, my employer has a "no carry" policy. They can't bring criminal charges against employees who violate this policy, but they can fire them. Therefore I do not carry at work, though I believe this policy to be idiotic, because if a disgruntled employee is planning on coming in and shooting up the place, they aren't going to be deterred by a stupid workplace policy.

Other kinds of leverage are there, too. For instance my wholesale club and my gym have "no carry" policies. They could revoke the membership of anyone who violates their policies. Here the consequence is not as great as losing one's job, so I consider this one of those "concealed means concealed" situations.

mnrivrat
September 23, 2008, 12:23 AM
Signs in MN carry little weight, but can be posted. There are places where carry is not legaly allowed such as schools and court houses, but private businesses , etc. can post a sign as well.

Those signs however mean that if you are asked to leave because you are carrying, then you must leave . They hold no legal penalty until you refuse to leave. If you conceal well enough, then they have no reason to get excited.

Duke Junior
September 23, 2008, 12:30 AM
So even in carry states, folks have to leave their guns behind?

As others have said it all depends on the state.In NC and TX ,proper signs have the force of law.
In FL and IN they do not.If discovered carrying all they can do is ask you to leave..
Only if you refuse can it than become a trespass offense.

larry_minn
September 23, 2008, 12:45 AM
As said in MN if they don't know it does not matter... They find out/tell you to leave you do.
Thing is I have gotten a number of places to REMOVE the signs. One was a auto parts store I used to go to. They put up sign so I asked them about it. After that I went to their competitor and bought my parts. BUT I called them EVERY time. "Hi Tim this is larry_minn. Since I am not welcome in your store I went to NAPA and bought a starter, new belts, etc for $350" I kept doing that till they changed sign (my suggestion) to "No ILLEGALweapons allowed in store"
Funny thing is I found I was getting better service/prices so I actually seldom go back.

Another was my bank. I met with bank pres. (Have known him for 30yrs) and in 10 minutes he agreed it was stupid to have them up. By weekend they were gone.
I don't eat at Famous Daves. I contacted them but no joy.

SomeDude
September 23, 2008, 02:47 AM
In Missouri, carrying into a "No Guns" establishment is an infraction but not a crime. Kind of like lighting a cigarrette in a no-smoking section of a restaurant. If you are asked to leave and don't you're charged with trespassing and it's a $100 fine. I don't shop at Schnucks because they paid to back the banning of CCW.

bogie
September 23, 2008, 02:51 AM
I respect the wishes of businesses which put up those signs.

I don't spend my money there.

And I encourage my friends, acquaintances, and random people on the interwebz to do likewise.

Maybe it helps. Sure doesn't hurt.

However, if you continue to patronize the establishment, you continue to support their profit margin.

Armueller2001
September 23, 2008, 03:18 AM
If a place has a "no guns" sign and you refuse to go there because of it, let them know! Tell them you're in disagreement with their ban on lawful self defense and are offended that you are viewed the same as a criminal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for CCW license holders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!