Gun for Newborn Son

PDA

JJNA
September 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a firearm to celebrate the birth of my firstborn son. I would engrave it with his name and birthdate and present it to him when he reaches suitable shooting age (5 or 6, depending how mature he is at that time).

At first I thought of buying a youth sized rifle, but then he would not be able to use it after reaching adulthood. So perhaps I should buy a nice high grade 22LR caliber handgun.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun for Newborn Son" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JImbothefiveth
September 22, 2008, 05:40 PM
Maybe make it one where you can swap out the grips later, you don't know how big he is going to grow.
And congratulations on your son! :)

A single action revolver might be best for teaching new shooters, but he probably won't ever carry one, and I don't know of any really high quality ones.
And make sure it doesn't wreck his college budget!

MRIman
September 22, 2008, 05:44 PM
A nice AK will fit him at a young age. ;)
But, a Ruger 10/22 can be had with a youth stock,then upgraded as he grows.

KiltedClaymore
September 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
i'd recomend a nice .22 rifle, not a handgun. a Remington 121 pump .22 was my first gun, i still have/shoot it. but gramps got a deal on it from a friend who was looking to get rid of it, so a vintage .22 may be out of your price range. try a marlin semi auto like the 795 plinkster. as for age, first time i shot a gun was about 3 1/2 or 4 years old. not by myself, but prone in the bed of a relitives pickup. found i could hit 20 gallon propane tanks (empty) at 75 yards :p at that age.

c1ogden
September 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
I'd go with a Ruger Bearcat, a very small single action .22 revolver.

I don't know if I'd engrave it because you or he might want to pass it on to a sibling or his own child.

Several companies make small single shot bolt action .22 rifles. I have one called "Chipmunk" that my brother gave me for my kids. I believe Henry makes one also.

Either of these is a good starter gun but they will outgrow them quickly.

A good next step after the Bearcat is the Ruger Single Six, also a .22. I have two Colts, a Peacemaker and a New Frontier, that my kids are using now and I just bought them Ruger 10/22 compact rifles that they love. The rifles are a bit small but still useable for adults and I think they'd make great backpacking guns.

Funderb
September 22, 2008, 06:39 PM
another vote for ruger 10-22

Thernlund
September 22, 2008, 06:42 PM
10/22 is nice, but I think a good Marlin lever gun would be nicer.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Images/photo_39A.jpg

Maybe a nice MKII pistol to go with it.

-T.

yhtomit
September 22, 2008, 06:42 PM
"I don't know if I'd engrave it because you or he might want to pass it on to a sibling or his own child."

Aesthetics vary, of course, but a passed-on gun (within a family, or perhaps among dear friends) with an engraving that reflects its connection to someone else doesn't sound bad or limiting -- I know there are a few items among my dad's stuff with his father's initials, and I think that's pretty neat.

But getting a gun for a newborn is a great and thoughtful idea, full stop, so the details are just that -- details.

timothy

rugerman
September 22, 2008, 06:46 PM
I second the 22 rifle idea. I bought my two sons a chipmunk when they were little (oldest was 5 youngest was 3) It was the perfect size and weight for them and they used it to learn how to shoot. When they outgrew it I loaned it to a friend's son who kept it for 3 years then it went to another kid who was real small due to a bout with leukemia, he kept it for a couple of years now its with another kid who is using it and after him his little brother has dibbs on it. Then it comes back to me for some new young shooter. Once they learn the basics with a rifle then they can learn to shoot a pistol. rugerman

rugerman
September 22, 2008, 06:48 PM
The marlin 39 is a great gun but its a bit heavy for a little feller.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 22, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wait until he is that age, then ask HIM what he would like. Maybe make up a nice little letter written now that you will give him when he turns 6 or 7 (or whatever age he can understand it).

Tacbandit
September 22, 2008, 06:53 PM
Congrats...I did that with our daughter, but I waited until she turned a year old
to get it...She'll have many firearms one day, but her first very own rifle is a Crickett .22 rifle, with a pink laminated stock. Looks kind of wild when you open the safe, swing open the door, see all the guns, and there's one that just kinda jumps out at you...Good luck, God bless, and raise 'em right...:)

KiltedClaymore
September 22, 2008, 06:56 PM
the marlin is good once the guy builds some muscles. i tried to have my 11 year old niece shoot it, and she couldnt keep the gun still because she was straining to keep it shouldered (no, she isnt weak, i was given the gun around that age and i thought it was heavy too). so i got her a nice used savage bolt gun. now she pops the tops off milk just at 50 yards no problem.

JackBurtonJr
September 22, 2008, 07:06 PM
here ya go... make it worth his while. And he'll turn 18 someday, eventually.

http://www.lesbaer.com/presgd.html

:D

Loosedhorse
September 22, 2008, 07:11 PM
+1 on Les Baer--maybe he can make the serial number be the date of birth--that's COOL!

ToadPS
September 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
Bought both of my sons Ruger RST's on the day of their birth. At age 28 and 23 respectively they both have enjoyed shooting these pistols for a long, long time. Great guns, fun to shoot.

Picard
September 22, 2008, 07:35 PM
Buy him an AR-15. You can get a lower laser engraved for free from Anvil Arms.

I'd go with an EBR because he may not be able to buy one when he grows up. He'll grow to appreciate it.

JesseL
September 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
I really like the engraved Bearcat idea. I've seriously considered one of those for my own son too (he's just about to turn two, so I've got a couple years before there's any hurry).

twoclones
September 22, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'll vote rifle. At 10 I received a 410/22 over and under which was passed on to each younger brother when they turned 10. My youngest brother gave it back to me and I still have it 40 years later.... That long gun has put a lot of squirrel in the frying pan!

JJNA
September 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thank you for all the responses.

I think engraving would work well even if my son were to have his own son and pass on the firearm. I think my future grandson would find that a nice touch.

There are several down sides, but one up side of having a kid relatively late in life is that I am (relatively speaking) financially secure. So budget is not really an issue (although, obviously, I wouldn't go crazy like a high grade over-and-under shotgun or an English double gun).

I thought a simple, but high grade 22LR pistol or rifle might be something he could use early on as a minor, yet still derive some enjoyment later in life as well.

I'd appreciate more recommendations.

Big B
September 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
+1 on the 10/22.
If you're still leaning towards a pistol, I think that the S&W Model 17 is worth looking at. Those are good fun at any age, and have a good selection of grips to choose from.
Congradulations.

halfbreed808
September 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
Bought my 14yo son a 10/22. It's his first real gun. He sure likes it, and has already circled some modified stocks and magazines for it. I figured he can use it to practice with. Maybe when he's bigger I'll get him an AR or something similar. ( Just so you know, He's 5'11" and 227lbs. But still smaller then me:D)

eflatminor
September 22, 2008, 08:23 PM
I certainly wouldn't wait until then to get him shooting! But as far as the gift goes, something that you lay on him when he's officially an adult would be REALLY special. At 5 or 6, it won't have the same impact.

My father bought for me a very nice bottle of wine, one designed to age, for my birth. 18 years later that wine with my mom and dad during which we popped it was probably the most memorable gift my father ever gave me. And that dirty rat drank most of it!!!

If you do go this route and wait until he's 18, a .22lr is obviously not appropriate. As others have suggested a 1911 would be my choice. A Les Bear is great but whatever you can afford really (I'm a big Nighthawk Custom fan). If you can't have a custom serial number done, just have grips engraved with the name and date or whatever you like.

Whatever you do, it's really nice thought.

Chester32141
If I were lucky enough to have a son I would buy him a Ruger Single Six and a Marlin Lever Action ... both in 22 LR ... get 'em both engraved ... he'll really appreciate them someday ...

Chester

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetemp_both/language/www/US/FL/New_Smyrna_Beach.gif

wyocarp
A P-22 would fit him when he is young and be something he could shoot when he is older.

KiltedClaymore
September 22, 2008, 08:31 PM
if money is no problem, look for a nice vintage .22 rifle. like a Winchester 61 or Remington 121 (hey, i keep suggesting the 121 because i love it. plus, not to many people have one/know what it is). they are light, quick, and tack driving accurate. and while they hold multiple rounds (some people dont think this is good in a first gun, safety reasons), they are pump action. means you have to deliberatly jack another shell into the chamber, whereas a semi-auto, a young shooter may forget that the gun reloads it'sself

distra
September 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
I got my number one son a Caspian Ti frame commander with stainless steel slide all customed out by Jess @ OnTarget. :D

steak-knife
September 22, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a .22 Henry Rifle. Apparently, they have a pre-fab kit that's all set up for engraving.

see the following link:

http://henryrepeating.com/personalizedgb.cfm

Funderb
September 23, 2008, 12:33 AM
Wait a minute.
Don't let anyone else make this decision for your newborn son.
This is your decision to make. There will be no reason he will be disappointed, no matter what you choose.

loop
September 23, 2008, 03:46 AM
I bought my son a .22 rifle five days after he was born. He shot it for the first time yesterday. He's almost 7.

I limited his rounds, but gave him a bonus five rounds for every bull's eye - he kept us there until dark.

When we got home he wouldn't stop hugging me and when I sat in a chair to watch the football game I recorded he pulled a chair up beside mine and said "I just want to be with you, dad."

It was the best $150 I ever spent.

Do what is right for you and your plans for your son. Whatever you do, it will pay off big time.

Phil DeGraves
September 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
Ruger Bearcat.

tackleberi
September 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
Seecamp LWS380 with custom serial number.

One year wait, but he can carry it in his pocket the rest of his life.

High Planes Drifter
September 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ithaca does custom engraving.

Maybe a Model 37 pump?

Smaug
September 23, 2008, 09:55 AM
Will fit him OK when he's young, and will just be smallish when he's older.

retgarr
September 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
I dunno, the idea of hist first gun and a gun for turning 18 are great ideas. I'd be tempted to do both.

BothellBob
September 23, 2008, 04:04 PM
I encourage you in the direction of a single shot 22 youth rifle. And by all means engrave it, then engrave it again when he passes it to your grandchild, and may the Lord grant the opportunity to engrave it a third time.
-BothellBob (aka Gramps)

JJNA
September 24, 2008, 12:21 AM
Keep'em coming please!

I am thinking something simple like a 22LR pistol or rifle (probably bolt action), but something that is also high-grade and elegant.

I have Ruger 10/22 and an AK-clone, for example, and these would not fit the above criteria for the commemoration.

TheDriver
September 24, 2008, 12:48 AM
A Ruger Single Six would fit the bill.....

lvcat2004
September 24, 2008, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't wait too long.....if one of those crazy democrats get in office, your choice of firearms that you can own may be limited....

I don't want to hear "oh that would never happen" BS....that's what people said about full-auto a couple of decades ago...

JJNA
September 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
Since I developed my love for guns while growing up and watching cowboy movies in Korea, I think I will buy a nice single action revolver in 22LR for my son and have it engraved.

The Ruger revolvers seem nice enough. Does anyone have suggestions for other companies?

And thank you all again for the great recommendations.

Tpr0811
September 26, 2008, 06:19 PM
How an engraving with your Family Crest.
He could pass it on to his son or daughter.

COK
September 26, 2008, 06:20 PM
Congratulation, What ever you decided I bet they will always cherish.

JImbothefiveth
September 26, 2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.freedomarms.com/
I have no experiance with them, I just know they make single action revolvers.

Have you also considered a S&W model 41, for semi-auto?
Or a S&W 617 for double action revolver?(More ban-proof, if you're worried about that kind of thing)

JJNA
September 26, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thank you.

GRB
September 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
At first I thought of buying a youth sized rifle, but then he would not be able to use it after reaching adulthood. No disrespect meant but that is maybe short sighted of you. A youth sized rifle could well be one of the most memorable firearms you could get for him. First of all it will fit his size and he will know it was definitely meant for him because of that more than because of any engraving. Secondly he will be able to shoot it for fun throughout his life, I shoot my son's every now and again and so does he and he is now 18. It is a nostalgia trip when doing so. Finally, and maybe most importantly, if you have foresight, you will leave room in the engraving area for at least a few other names. Those names would be names of your son's firstborn, your first grandson, to whom he can give that rifle. The next would be your grandson's son, or your great grandson, and so on down the family lineage. It would be a special rifle indeed, and you can bet that when your son eventually passes that rifle onto his son - it will be with a great deal of p[ride and with sweet memories of the times you two spent shooting together with his first rifle.

All the best,
GB

orvpark
September 26, 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a .22 Henry Rifle. Apparently, they have a pre-fab kit that's all set up for engraving.

see the following link:

http://henryrepeating.com/personalizedgb.cfm

This is what my daughter will get when she's old enough to shoot! I have been contemplating getting a AR-lower while the getting is good too.

JJNA
September 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
No disrespect meant but that is maybe short sighted of you. A youth sized rifle could well be one of the most memorable firearms you could get for him. First of all it will fit his size and he will know it was definitely meant for him because of that more than because of any engraving. Secondly he will be able to shoot it for fun throughout his life, I shoot my son's every now and again and so does he and he is now 18. It is a nostalgia trip when doing so. Finally, and maybe most importantly, if you have foresight, you will leave room in the engraving area for at least a few other names. Those names would be names of your son's firstborn, your first grandson, to whom he can give that rifle. The next would be your grandson's son, or your great grandson, and so on down the family lineage. It would be a special rifle indeed, and you can bet that when your son eventually passes that rifle onto his son - it will be with a great deal of p[ride and with sweet memories of the times you two spent shooting together with his first rifle.That is an excellent point. How about this rifle? http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=5

yokel
September 26, 2008, 07:51 PM
The United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1...and don't the kids just love it!

JJNA
September 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
Also, what about Beretta 87 Target?

https://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00006317&parentLink=2100000084:3100001364:3100001520#

Titan6
September 27, 2008, 12:05 AM
Part of the reason you are getting so many rifle suggestions is that most 5-6 year olds do not have the manual dexterity to properly handle a pistol. My kids were 9-10 before they could do anything other than squeeze off a round (forget about aiming). You might be one of the rare dads who can spend hundereds of hours teaching your kid to shot one but then it is no longer for them any more but you.

My suggestions; if Money is no object than an 1873 Winchester take down model (engrave the case, not the gun) would be quite nice, but that might be hard on your heart having your 6 year old learning to shoot on it. A nice Remington 881 series would be a good choice to learn on and be nice piece he could enjoy his whole life and not a safe queen.

DRYHUMOR
September 27, 2008, 06:02 AM
If you hunt, your son may grow into hunting as well. I've always been partial to the Winchester and Browning model 52 remakes of the 1990's.

Full size rifle, but small enough, and accurate enough for a young shooter to gain hunting rifle skills.

For a pistol, the Beretta 87 is pretty sweet. However, the magazines would be kinda hard on yound hands to load up. It's a well built pistol, that seems to keep going up in price all the time.

Majic
September 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
Before you get carried away and do all the engraving you might consider that your son may not like firearms. I have 2 sons. The youngest is a true gun nut but the oldest could care less about a gun. Buy the gun and put it away. Don't embellish it until you know it will be appreciated.

ARGarrison
September 27, 2008, 11:30 PM
Local FFL holder already has his grandson a Ruger 10/22 with his name ingraved on it. He also has a bolt action .410 waiting for him. I think his grandson is only two years old.

Mr Kablammo
September 28, 2008, 12:42 AM
Henry "Golden Boy"

http://henryrepeating.com/h004_goldenboy.cfm

Claude Clay
September 28, 2008, 12:52 AM
along with ever thing else, lot of good ideas: 50th annv bearcat.

JJNA
September 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
Here is something else I had not considered: my son might be a leftie!

According to my mother, I was born a leftie, but my father "corrected" me to be rightie.

It is hard to tell just yet, but my son seems to prefer using his left foot and left hand to reach for objects even at 6 weeks of age (I would like it if he were a southpaw from MMA perspective, but it does complicate things a bit for shooting).

Is it not the case that, in general, lefties are also left eye-dominant?

Perhaps a nice single action handgun might be a safer pick after all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun for Newborn Son" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!