Sako et al: Pronunciation

PDA

carnaby
September 23, 2008, 03:01 AM
Just to set the record straight, since I'm the proud brother in law of a fin, Sako, as in Sako rifles, are pronounced sock-o, not sake-o.

That, and apparently Leupold is pronounced loopold, not leeoopold nor loipold as one might think (like I did until someone else informed me of the correct pronunciation).

They really ought to put the phonetic thingy on the outside of the box for anything tougher than "smith" or "wesson". Sheesh!

Anyone got any more to add? Hoppes? Tikka?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako et al: Pronunciation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
September 23, 2008, 03:17 AM
You cannot pronounce Tikkakoski Oy properly unless it's at least -30 C.

Proinsias
September 23, 2008, 03:27 AM
The name Leupold is properly pronounced loipold, if it is German in origin. However, the company is American, so loopold is probably the right way to say it.

Mosin Nagant could be tricky. The first word is Russian and the second is French (Belgian). It should be Moseen Naga(n), where the n is a nasal French n. The Russians may pronounce it a different way, which would technically be more accurate.

Heckler & Koch is really "Heckler und Koe-ch," where the ch is a guttural as in "loch." Koch and Cook aren't really accurate.

carnaby
September 23, 2008, 10:54 AM
Proinsias, that is correct! The company itself pronounces it Loopold, so that's what I go with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako et al: Pronunciation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!