Decapping Lithuanian (GGG) .308

PDA

Xtro
September 23, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have a couple of cases of this really nice NATO ammo. It's boxer primed and I'd like to reload it, but those crimped primers are really tough to get out. I broke the decapping pin on my sizing die already.

I'm going to try a universal decapping die next, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this ammo, and a good technique for getting those pesky primers out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Decapping Lithuanian (GGG) .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
September 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
While I have no experience with the Lith brass, I have successfully decapped Hirtenberger brass which is notorious for their small flash holes. I use a Lyman Universal Decapping Die which seems to have a small diameter decapping pin and is tough as hell.

Don

Larry E
September 23, 2008, 04:00 PM
European Boxer flash holes are frequently smaller than standard US ~0.080" so a smaller than "standard" decapping pin might be needed. If the primers are really tight there are crimped primer decapping outfits that have a base to hold the case, and a punch type decapping rod that's given a whack with a hammer to knock the primers out. A pain in the tail, but after the crimped primers are removed, and the crimp removed from the pocket things are easier. I use a case mouth chamfering tool to cut out the crimp. If the flash holes are small ~0.060" they can be opened up with a number 45 or 46 drill bit or a flash hole deburring tool.

ClarkEMyers
September 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
Punch and base works every time.

I used to have a hole in my bench top with a baby food jar primer catcher underneath and a Lee Yankee Screwdriver style primer pocket cleaner stuck upside down in another hole to give the primer pocket a lick and promise while I had the case in my hand.

I worry more about lead contamination than I used to though - a flash hole deburring tool can be used before decapping to make it easier to use a decapping die in something like the Forster CoAx that does a particularly good job of catching the primers.

ar10
September 23, 2008, 09:09 PM
I've done a number of "ggg" Lith brass, but I use the lee universal decapping die, (about 10~15.00), and never had a problem.
For the primer pocket reaming I use a 1/2" 82deg counter sink running at about 100rpm on my drill press (it's actually a cheapo HF small end mill). Works, but it took some practice to get it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decapping Lithuanian (GGG) .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!