Help...I need some info on Primers

PDA

deerhunter61
September 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
I was wondering if someone can educate me on the difference in primers.

Magnum Primers
Regular Rifle Primers
Match Grade Rifle Primers

So what I want to know is what impact would these primers have on say a load where all else is equal with a 270?

What would be the impact with a 7 Rem Mag?

The reason I put the 270 in there with the Mag Primers is because I have spoke to a couple of people at the range and they were using Magnum Primers on standard rifles. Their reasoning was that they will burn ALL the powder in the cartridge.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Help...I need some info on Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nambu1
September 23, 2008, 07:44 PM
The regular primers are fine for both. I would use magnum if I were just loading the 7mm Mag. Magnum primers are a little hotter than standard primers and could raise the pressures in the 270. Match primers are exact in all aspects of composition. The anvils are all the same weight as are the cups and priming charges, there are no deviation as you have in the standard primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help...I need some info on Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!