Bet no one's asked this before.

PDA

Cmdr. Gravez0r
September 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
Next week I may or may not have the opportunity to have someone who is well known for his affiliation with firearms and very famous autograph my rifle stock.

The rifle is a Yugo SKS (it's all I have). It is of course a wooden stock with relatively pronounced grain. The question is...what kind of pen should I bring for him to sign with?

If everything goes as planned I will of course post pics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bet no one's asked this before." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deaconkharma
September 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
:scrutiny:

xsquidgator
September 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
Woodburning kit!?

I saw a thread once where a guy got a woodburning kit and used it to write "say hello to my little friend" in Russian on the stock of his AK clone. I thought it was kind of neat-funny and even looked up the Cryllic translation in case I wanted to do it, but I'm sure I won't.

Duke Junior
September 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
sharpie?:scrutiny:

It can't be Terrell Owens so, maybe not!:D

TheDriver
September 24, 2008, 09:07 PM
There are metallic ink pens for writing on wine bottles and such. One of those might work.

TheDriver
September 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
Oh, and if it IS T.O., punch him in the face for me, wouldja? :D

jrfoxx
September 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
I like the wood burning kit idea, if thats a option, as it seems like it would just look pretty subdued, and kinda classy and neat for an autograph, and would help ensure the sig doesnt wear off or run from sweat, water, solvents, etc.

Not sure how easy it is to do a decent signature with one though, having never used one.

Majic
September 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
Unless this person is associated with Com-Bloc or surplus guns why not buy a nice stock for the person to sign and later have a good rifle built for the stock?

kingpin008
September 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
I vote Sharpie. The only way a woodburning kit would work is if the person doing the signing was willing to sit there for ten minutes or more and etch their name in. And if you've never used one of those kits before, it's not as simple as picking it up and going to town - there's a slight learning curve.

VARifleman
September 24, 2008, 09:30 PM
Paint pen and then clear coat it afterward with spray on clear.

Floppy_D
September 24, 2008, 09:42 PM
Who is it? The Gunny?

2TransAms
September 24, 2008, 09:57 PM
Correia? :neener:

f4t9r
September 24, 2008, 10:02 PM
Just bring what you want. i will sign anything
No selling for profit is all I ask :neener:

orvpark
September 24, 2008, 10:18 PM
the nuge?

I vote Sharpie and clear coat

230RN
September 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
Vibrating engraving tool. Fairly simple to use first shot, but bring along a hunk of practice hardwood.

Dgreno
September 25, 2008, 12:38 PM
Ok, Who is it?
I also vote paint pen and then clear coat...

iowajones
September 25, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sharpie then take it home and go over it yourself with a woodburner THEN clear coat it.

wyocarp
September 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
well known for his affiliation with firearms and very famous

It seems clear to me that he is talking about OJ Simpson.

TexasRifleman
September 25, 2008, 01:00 PM
If it's for your own use, not to increase the value of the gun, I'd get them to sign with a sharpie then I'd trace over it with a woodburner when I got home.

If you're doing it and worry about provenance someday maybe not but for your own enjoyment that's how I'd to it.

Blofeld
September 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
+1 on the wood burning, but you'll have to remove whatever varnish, sealant, etc. is on the stock, or it will gum up the pen. Then you can reseal when finished, and the signature will last forever.

Vladimir Putin?

elrod
September 25, 2008, 02:42 PM
Palin??????????

Blackbeard
September 25, 2008, 02:50 PM

He's famous for knives....

Norinco982lover
September 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
I was gonna guess Palin as well. But for some reason I don't think its her either.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
who is well known for his affiliation with firearms

I'd say P Diddy or 50 Cent - yeah, OJ is a knife kind of guy.

wyocarp
September 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
I hope everyone will accept my apologies, including OJ. I did forget that his weapon of choice was a knife. Although I thought he had switched to guns in his latest events.

neviander
September 25, 2008, 03:38 PM
There isn't much a Sharpie won't write on...however there's lots of stuff that the ink will smudge right off of.

wulf
September 25, 2008, 03:40 PM
My money is on Phil Specter

rcmodel
September 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
I was thinking Whisper Boy from Future Weapons!

But signing a stock is tacky.
If the guy is that famous, he probably has written a book.

Have him sign that!

Besides, his security people will probably shoot you if you show up with an SKS!

rcmodel

Eyesac
September 25, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah why an SKS?

snead888
September 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
it's the only gun he has

Lucky Luciano
I'm hoping for the Nuge.

Mr White
If its Nuge, tell him he's a jerk for making all his songs buy-only on Napster. :fire:

Cmdr. Gravez0r
September 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
If everything goes well I will of course let you know who the person is but not yet--don't want to jinx it. The event is on Monday night.

I'm not taking the entire rifle of course, just the stock, in a bag.

rcmodel
September 25, 2008, 04:30 PM
The stock, in a bag?

The security guys will still probably shoot you! :eek:

rcmodel

Cmdr. Gravez0r
September 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
With the fore-end sticking out. I mean seriously, you think I have a death wish?

GunKid's_Wheelbarrow
September 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
C'mon fess up. It's Elton John isn't it?

GunnerD
September 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
Paint pen and then clear coat it is my vote!

Sniper X
September 25, 2008, 04:34 PM
Get either a gold or silver Sharpie, they work well and look great on dark surfaces. Had Col. Jeff Cooper sign a black stock on one of my rifles with one after cleaning it with alchohaul. It is still looking good so says the guy I sold it to!

hksw
September 25, 2008, 04:35 PM
IMO, if the signatory is important to you, I would sand off a section of the rifle butt down to the wood, have them sign with a Sharpie, and coat over with a clearcoat (one that does not desolve the Sharpie ink).

Ed4032
September 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
I would get another gun. SKS is a POS.

rondog
September 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
Gotta be Uncle Ted.

WheelgunZealot
September 25, 2008, 05:16 PM
If you're getting a very unique signature I would go to a gunsmith and ask. I would bet he will recommend removing and stripping the wood, getting the signature with some type of ink or paint, and refinishing. I would worry about recoating the wood over the signature. Depending on the finish, certian other finishes won't bond or will soften the other finish. The writing could run or smear.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I do have a good knowledge of woodworking.

Mrs. Armoredman
September 25, 2008, 05:18 PM
Please sir tell who is going to sign your SKS?

crushbup
September 25, 2008, 05:25 PM
SKS is a POS

HERESY!

CWL
September 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
Black Sharpie, large pen with wide tip. -Don't want no sissy thin autograph that can't be read.

Don't go nuts with a woodburner. If you burn over the signature, that's not really an authentic autograph anymore is it? You may also screw it up and ruin both autograph & gunstock. If you want to do this, have the VIP sign a large pc. of paper and then trace the signature over the stock.

Having a signature of someone not affiliated with SKS rifles doesn't really make any sens to me though.

ColinthePilot
September 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm guessing Sarah Brady or Paul Helmke. :neener:

Rembrandt
September 25, 2008, 06:13 PM
Chuck Heston signed this with a fine tipped silver paint pen. Stock was pre-sanded and stained prior to the signature. Later finished with a clear polyurethane to protect the autograph. Since the event was public and tight security, the barrel and action were left home.

Make sure the object being signed is worthy of the signature. Wish now he had signed a Superposed. Try to document the occasion with ticket stubs, announcements, and photos of the object being signed. 75 years from now it might make a huge difference in value.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/heston4.jpg

jakemccoy
September 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
I vote Sharpie or something just as quick. Then, apply some sort of clear coat over the signature.

I don't like the wood burning idea. A famous or busy person would walk away. By the way, you aren't thinking of wood burning over the signature, are you? That would instantly drop the value of the signature. What in the world would be the purpose of getting an authentic signature in the first place?

usmarine0352_2005
September 25, 2008, 07:15 PM
Is it:

Obama

?

:p

230RN
September 25, 2008, 07:23 PM
.... ?

preachnhunt
September 25, 2008, 08:02 PM
My wife does woodworking professionally and signs her work with Sakura pigma micron pens.http://www.dickblick.com/zz207/02/ They never fade or bleed.

Blofeld
September 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
It's a male, he says "his". Can't be political, wouldn't get a gun that close. In fact, the only famous person who wouldn't be afraid and is pro 2A would be... say hello to Mr. Norris for us, please.:)

halfbreed808
September 26, 2008, 12:30 AM
the nuge?

That would be a sweet autograph.:D

Kind of Blued
September 26, 2008, 03:46 AM
Rosie O' Donnell will eat your SKS.

Is that "low-road"?

I can't think of anybody I like enough to have sign a rifle of mine. If I liked them that much, I'd never use the rifle again, and unless it's Thomas Jefferson back from the dead, that's an aweful waste of a decent rifle.

Maybe that's just me?

Zwetschgen
September 26, 2008, 06:41 AM
There's a convention in town and some "famous people" are in town, O.F. Mossberg? And sons? Samuel Colt, John Browing, Eugene Stoner, Micheal Kalashnikov, couple other no bodies... Better not have it signed... it IS an SKS.

REPOMAN
September 26, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've got this one figured out........ It's Gecko 45.....:eek:
It'll be worth millions after the signing

3pairs12
September 26, 2008, 08:09 AM
LOL Gecko 45. You definitely wouldn't be able to get a gun close to that guy he would see it coming a mile away. That would be a sweet autograph though. Anyway +1 for the sharpie and I think it is also the Nuge.

U.S.SFC_RET
September 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
Make sure you strip that stock before having the signing take place otherwise the signing will not seal to the stock

Cmdr. Gravez0r
September 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
It's a male, he says "his". Can't be political, wouldn't get a gun that close. In fact, the only famous person who wouldn't be afraid and is pro 2A would be... say hello to Mr. Norris for us, please.

Give this man a prize.

Mrs. Armoredman
September 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
WOW You mean Mr. Norris is going to sign your SKS? WOW Say hello for me please I think he is cool. Am I right or wrong?

scrat
September 26, 2008, 04:42 PM
Paint pen and then clear coat it afterward with spray on clear.

this is what i would use

Cmdr. Gravez0r
September 26, 2008, 04:56 PM
WOW You mean Mr. Norris is going to sign your SKS? WOW Say hello for me please I think he is cool. Am I right or wrong?

We will be in the same building--whether or not he signs it remains to be seen.

Stevie-Ray
September 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
If you can get close enough to ask him a question, he will, no problem. He's quite a guy.

But I'll bet he jokes to you that he would prefer it were an American gun.

Blofeld
October 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
So did you get it yet? Been dying to know.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
October 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
I was not able to go the event due to circumstances beyond my control. Very disappointing.

Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon jiuce on it? :neener:

tinygnat219
October 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
If it's a rare and special person, it's eligible for consideration as a Curio and Relic. You'd have to go through the BATF to get it considered though.

Blofeld
October 3, 2008, 03:23 PM
Incredible bummer. Sorry.:(

Pure Kustom
October 3, 2008, 03:26 PM

If it is OJ use invisible ink!! We wouldn't want you to hurt the crediability and value of the weapon..

If you enjoyed reading about "Bet no one's asked this before." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!