Request: no more threads about the "obvious" crap.

PDA

freakshow10mm
September 26, 2008, 12:52 AM
THR should continue as normal while this crap is sorted out. I'd like to experience THR like normal with ZERO threads discussing the situation at hand. It should be dealt with professionally and kept off of THR. I was considering leaving, but I'll stay as long as THR continues as normal. I'm not here for the owner, founder, controller, or any other title. I'm here for the content.

Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "Request: no more threads about the "obvious" crap." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lowroader
September 26, 2008, 01:09 AM
I'm new here but I think your way wrong on this
this really seems to me to be something that should be discussed

WhisperFan
September 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight ....

If I want to talk politics, I talk about McCain v. Obama ......

I come here to talk about guns and gun related issues.

Just my 2C

Mickstix
September 26, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have no idea whats going on, but all ya have to do is read a few threads to get the feeling that "something" is definitely going on, "and" it's trying to be covered up for some reason.. Too many locked and/or deleted threads with "hints" and stuff in them.. IMO the powers that be should put up some sort of an announcement, where everyone can find/see it, to at least let the members know what's going on.. (or not going on)
I mean, is it safe to post and be active on THR still?? Are our computers at risk of being hacked or something?? Are the FBI tracking members to gain evidence on gun owners?? (I know it's silly, but that's the kind of crap that runs through peoples heads, when the powers that be of a "2A style" forum start acting weird) I say quit tryin to sweep it under the rug and inform your loyal members of what the heck is going on! That's my 3 cents anyway.. Hope all works out ok..

Tom Servo
September 26, 2008, 02:36 AM
as THR continues as normal.
It isn't normal at the moment. It can't be. This'll likely be locked, and I understand.

But I'd like to take the opportunity to ask what moderators remain here to consider reconciliation with Oleg's camp. One or both sides may have valid concerns, but let's look at the bigger picture. This site seems to have become a battleground of sorts, and that's not what it was ever meant to be.

ArfinGreebly
September 26, 2008, 03:17 AM
Guys, we're working on it.

Don't expect all the messy details to be laid out in real-time for all to examine and critique.

Do your best to focus on the mission: guns, gun rights, and stuff about guns.

Those of us suffering from the curse of the moderators will be sprinkling holy water and drawing obscure shapes in the sand to ward off demons.

Hang in there, if you would, please.

Or, as a young lady recently said:
Please be sure your seat belts are fastened, and your seats and tray-tables are in the upright and locked position.

We are experiencing some turbulence, and we'll let you know when we've gotten through it.

Thank you for flying High Road Airways.

Ridgerunner665
September 26, 2008, 03:31 AM
Please be sure your seat belts are fastened, and your seats and tray-tables are in the upright and locked position.

We are experiencing some turbulence, and we'll let you know when we've gotten through it.

Well spoken...I'm not going anywhere...I'm here to share what I know and learn from those who know more than me...ownership won't change that.

Good luck to all you mods and admins...keep your heads clear and work through it (as I'm sure you are...trying to at least).

markk
September 26, 2008, 06:04 AM
Working On It

Guys, we're working on it.

Don't expect all the messy details to be laid out in real-time for all to examine and critique.

Do your best to focus on the mission: guns, gun rights, and stuff about guns.

Those of us suffering from the curse of the moderators will be sprinkling holy water and drawing obscure shapes in the sand to ward off demons.

Hang in there, if you would, please.

Or, as a young lady recently said:

Well said, Arfin.

This should be stickied at the top of every forum.

kentucky_Dave
September 26, 2008, 06:43 AM
This is a private matter that somehow came into the public.
2 sides to consider, 2 seemingly valid considerations presented, tragic, dramatic and clearly not any of our business; as, it has not placed an impact on the content or operation of our boards.
Everything seems to be running as prescribed, including the mods watching posts like eagle eyed hunters and squashing posts not related to our typical content restrictions.

Yes, It is interesting, in a train wreck sort of way, but is definitely NOT something that we should be overly concerned with at this point; considering, we as a nation have bigger fish to fry.

We should all be looking more closely at the events taking place that involve our congress critters, the fact that our president made an unusual address regarding our national finances, our national security is being questioned at home and abroad and among other things, we are one executive order of a "State of Emergency" that will instantly strip our RKBA (among other things) with a quickness.

If you all want drama; drama that can affect all of us in a very real way, watch the financial meltdown created by our government required "Special Considerations" in lending, compounded by less than forward thinking business people and the subsequent money grab attempt by the fed via fear-mongering and threats unfold...that is true life, affects every one of us, rights-on-thin-ice drama of a very real kind.

This potentially affects, among other things: our ammo pricing, availability, gun purchases and the ability to carry and use those tools of self preservation.

It is just as real and 10,000 times more important at this time.

Keep an eye on them and be certain that we are not misled / misrepresented (yet again) or strongarmed into a stated loan for x billion that will undoubtedly snowball into 2 trillion that we will treat like a kid with a credit card and pay interest only to a PRIVATE bank acting as our central banking system.

[steps off soap box]

Mods, please be understanding.
THis post is Near political in content, but not quite crossing the threshold of truly political.
This is a clear and present danger to our lifestyle with the potential to significantly impact our rights and the future of RKBA; therefore, relevant to the prescribed "Gun Related" content posting requirements.

Hud
September 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
I had a similar rush of emotion when Imbev took over "The Great American Beer", but I will continue to drink Budweiser unless it becomes bitter to my taste, then I will find another.
The same holds true here.

Hud

highorder
September 26, 2008, 09:05 AM

You said it.

This is a private matter. Enjoy the forum for what it is, and leave the business to the businessmen.... Or choose another.

tinygnat219
September 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
I am following MadOgre's suggestion:
http://www.madogre.com/News.html

Look up today's news and you will see.

Rinspeed
September 26, 2008, 09:28 AM

Pretty funny, you joined yesterday and you think there should be a public discussion on what should have been a very private matter. :rolleyes:

LaEscopeta
September 26, 2008, 09:28 AM
I’m all for leaving the “current internal THR controversy” to the people involved. I like hanging out here for the firearms knowledge and discussions.

However THR has solicited contributions to run the site, that as far as I can tell has no other source of income. I have contributed in the past. Now some (all?) of those involved in the “current internal THR controversy” are soliciting to help fund legal moves to resolve the conflict. In the interest of knowing what we are being asked to contribute to, I would appreciate objective answers to the following questions, from those in a position to know:

1. Has anyone made money off THR up until now?

2. Is anyone considering making money from THR in the future?

(Notice I am NOT asking who made or may make money.)

ilbob
September 26, 2008, 10:27 AM
I am inclined towards more openness in everything. IMO, things done in secret rarely turn out well for those outside the secret.

My guess is whatever monetary value the site may have had at one time is rapidly decreasing. If the main reason for the "takeover" was monetary, that may well be a lost cause very shortly.

I have been in a similar stuation and I can tell you that a rogue admin is a tough nut to crack. Not that I think there is a rogue admin here. I just don't have enough information about the situation to make a judgment about that.

But its really up to the two principals how it turns out.

Personally, I won't be donating to any legal cases where there is not enough information available to me to come to a reasonable conclusion as to the "rightness" of one side or the other.

ridata
September 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think ilbob has it right.
Personally, I won't be donating to any legal cases where there is not enough information available to me to come to a reasonable conclusion as to the "rightness" of one side or the other.

As of yet, there really isn't a whole lot of info out there. There are the basics of what happened, but I don't think that is enough for us to contribute to legal funds on either side.

3pairs12
September 26, 2008, 11:45 AM
I just hope THR remains the same. I would HATE to have to go to glock talk or ar15.com. This place is more my speed.

VHinch
September 26, 2008, 11:58 AM
As of yet, there really isn't a whole lot of info out there. There are the basics of what happened, but I don't think that is enough for us to contribute to legal funds on either side.

There is a lot out there, but it's all from one "side" if that's what you want to call it. Some might say the silence of the other side speaks volumes, as do the actions. Regardless, this is a private matter that should have stayed private. It's likely best if all parties without a personal involvement stay as far away as possible. Ever heard the old saying about getting involved in a pissing match? Only one outcome for those in the middle.

I just hope THR remains the same

One can hope, but it seems doubtful. Now that it's out in the open, there's going to be fallout regardless out of the outcome.

oldfart
September 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
Strangly enough, my visits to THR became pretty rare after all the mods decided to curtail political comment. TFL got most of my attention until recently when they also locked their Political forum.

Now this. I don't care whether Derek runs this board or Oleg does. What I'd like to see though is a loosening of the restrictions on political discussion.

Let's face it: I know pretty much everything I need to know about guns. I can take them apart and put them back together and even throw a few improved parts into the mix when needed. I can shoot the ones I own well enough to thoroughly discourage anyone who might want to harm me or mine. Any thread about how somebody polished the wood on their SKS to make it look like something else is only marginally useful but a discussion about legislation that could deprive me of that SKS is one that would interest me. Unfortunately those threads tend to get political and then locked.

So you guys go ahead and make some sort of decision. As I see it, THR (and TFL) are both trying to emulate the ugly, fat girl at the prom. When the dance is over, you'll still be alone.

JERRY
September 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
alright, enough with the secret squirell stuf....whats everyone talking about?

MMCSRET
September 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
I must have missed it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy in my cocoon?!!!!!!

LaEscopeta
September 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
alright, enough with the secret squirell stuf....whats everyone talking about?http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=395643
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=395422
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=395477

ImARugerFan
September 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
I don't know.... I clicked your thread because I thought it was a suggestion for how to eliminate the "870 vs. 500" and "9mm or .40S&W" type threads. :)

JERRY
September 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
um, why dont we let the courts decide this one and us gun guys just talk about gun stuff?

JR47
September 26, 2008, 02:22 PM
It would appear that a commercial entity was looking at buying the forum. They pay for that privilege. The Owner of the Domain gets the money. Similar thing happened when AMBACK, now EOTAC, bought Battlerifles.com

Just prior to the sale, another member had pushed himself into a position of authority on BR.com. It took a concerted effort by the membership to get him out of the site, whereupon he started his own. He knew that BR.com was going to become available, and, had he been successful in his venture, he would have been receiving the payment for the site.

I have to agree that it has little bearing on the average member, at this time. I also agree, though, that those who donate to the defense funds should be made aware of all previous actions.

Rich Luciabella seems to have an opinion on this, as well.

akodo
September 26, 2008, 04:22 PM
As much as a web address can technically belong to an individual, it doesn't belong to any of us.

Yet we the unwashed masses and our myrid of posts are what makes the THR the THR.

Would we be able to rock polls, shine the light of skepticism into nooks, bombard switchboards, or always be able to find at least one other guy who had a dealing with some bloke on gunbroker or some obscure gun product website?

I say to you, if this forum was JUST the administrators and moderators, it would not be THR. It wouldn't even be a shadow of THR.

I think it is unjust to ask all of us to remain silent on these issues

highorder
September 26, 2008, 04:26 PM
Similar thing happened when AMBACK, now EOTAC, bought Battlerifles.com

Ugh. I remember that business...

Strangely enough, I found THR from a link in a thread on www.battlerifles.com.

Mal H
September 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
I say to you, if this forum was JUST the administrators and moderators, it would not be THR. It wouldn't even be a shadow of THR.Very well said, akodo. If it weren't for the members, THR would be a very quiet server with a single spinning disk with nothing of substance on it. The moderators and administrators act as a filter most of the time and add a little to the knowledge base some of the time, but the vast majority of the posts are from the members at large. Until all of this happened, I honestly never thought of a single person or persons as being "owners" of THR. There was a titled head, but nothing else in the way of actual ownership.

scrat
September 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
I take thr as all of us being owners. When you come on to thr you respect what it is and what you write. Try not to write anything that does not have anything to do with thr. I love the fact that we do not talk politics. This is a great site where we all come and talk to each other via writing. Same time we share knowledge and learn a lot from each other. IN a sense we are all owners as we all put into it and we all gain from it. In a sense i wouldnt mind if this thread got locked either. My intensions on coming to thr. To learn to share knowledge of shooting, hunting, reloading. This is what thr is. Its our forum. We have to use it correctly though.

f4t9r
September 26, 2008, 05:25 PM
I had no idea of what was going on. After reading some of the info, I am going to beleive the right thing will be done in the long run.
I always have questions and I have always got answers from the members here and I am thankful for that.

Bazooka Joe71
September 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
THR should continue as normal while this crap is sorted out. I'd like to experience THR like normal with ZERO threads discussing the situation at hand. It should be dealt with professionally and kept off of THR. I was considering leaving, but I'll stay as long as THR continues as normal. I'm not here for the owner, founder, controller, or any other title. I'm here for the content.

Adam

Thank GOD! Otherwise, we'd have no one to start threads about not bringing stuff up that everyone is already tired of talking about.

You really had me worried for a second.

308sc
September 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
I doubt none of us know the full story about the current situation...so we should probably chill out now...don't ya think:confused:

I enjoy THR and hope it stays around for many more years to come.

bikerdoc
September 26, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have learned a lot from being a member of THR. I hope I have shared what I know with others. I want the forum to continue.
I dont know what is going on. Well, actually I do, but it is None of my business.
Let it play out behind the scenes.
And this is the last time I will comment on it.

LaEscopeta
September 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
When good people turn a blind eye to crime it indirectly condones it.There are lots of places where people, good and otherwise, are discussing this conflict/dissagreement/crime or whatever you want to call it. It apparently will be disscussed at length on the public record in the legal system. It is also currently being discussed ad nasum on other forums and blogs on the web. If you want to join the disscusion, or even try to get involved, the links above will direct you to where it is being discussed.

And a lack of money will not prevent either side from getting their side told. The value of the www.thehighroad.org domain name is apparently tens or hundreds greater than what the court case will cost. A great many good lawyars will be willing to work on speculation on the case.

But only if www.thehighroad.org continues to be what it is. There are tens of thousands of domain names and forum sites that are worthless. There are no flashy graphics or vidios here. The worth of THR is only the value people set on the content of the posts, and the ability of the moderators to keep the signal-to-noise ratio of those posts as low as it is (the lowest on the internet, IMHO.)

So whitch ever side you want to win, help them keep the value of what they are fighting for, and keep THR as it always was.

redneckrepairs
September 27, 2008, 04:39 PM
I allways belived that Olig Owned the domain . This may or may not be my bad ( the courts will tell us all ) However no matter how i feel on this issue ( frankly my feeling is that i dont want thr to change in any fashion , tho i wont and cant host it or pay for the hosting . I will simply ask that NO co funding from any sales or lease of the url and board be considered before the members have a chance to voice and pay ( i cannot fund the board , nor host it , but i can kick $50 bucks and i dont care how it is split . Olig thank you for your work both on the forum and on 2a rights . Bud one of my fondest ideas is to meet you . The point is that is if this hs a $$ issue well poll the members , i cant kick much but ill kick what i can . all yall gotta do is ask . However if you of the blue sky for us users dont sort this crap out , me as one of the poor folk will just go away . I come to THR for the caliber of folk there , its allready going downhill . Hell i am posting on this thread aint i , and that both energises my statement , and on another level proves it . The instant that thr goes add based in any way is the instant ill never log in again . If bucks are needed ask me and mine ... i cant put out much but i will , so will many of us readers . Yall go on and fight out who owns the domain ect... however be aware that the first time i see an add ill be gone . By the same token ill kick to you what i can *( just did for chris ).. Both of you you have a netmeet area which is unbeliveable . IMHO the last fella to own the url free and clear is rich . , and i think that all partys have run the url as rich would have wanted untill lately . Now it comes .... Not if but how the url will be sold .. As to now it appears to me that thr will go down it is amattr of when because the principles who might have an intrest agree to sell the members out , the arguement is to how . I only state this because one of the members listed the expense of the board , and dammit we members were not polled , its a matter of how the board is sold . For myself Ill put up $100 ( yea i know but i find myself more than broke ) . If others will also simply to tell the powers that be that we want our forum . No matter who owns it , we will kick as much as we can to keep it non commercial . ( shame on you olig and others ) . No matter whom it might be who owns it , if its a $$ thing well ask us members , i suspect we will pay for all costs to have thr as it is now . If it ( and i suspect ) is about how yall can split profets off uss users Ill tell you this , the first add or the first popup i see here i quit . If youall wanna fight out who owns whant in the courts fine ( i am sorry it came to that ) . Dont sell MY board tho in your leagal mastroborty machanations . Sort it out guys , ill chip in to keep the board the way it is , I wont chip in to defend on either case , because both seem to want to sell the members out , its just a matter of why and how . Maby Rich should reclaim the url and start over ?? .

alaskanativeson
September 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
I agree that this is a situation that needs cool thinking rather than heated argument. The thoughts and wishes of the members should be considered only to the extent that it helps establish the truth of the matter.

What I would like to see is a place where both parties involved could post their own information free from comment or interference from the other. I believe that the members would like to know what's going on. While it's true that this board is not our property, we do contribute to its existence. A little knowledge of what is happening is not unreasonable, in my opinion.

JShirley
September 27, 2008, 07:09 PM
Look, this thread has dragged on long enough. This forum has only become what it is through the efforts of the staff and our great membership. THR is not the place to have this discussion. The best thing everyone can do is to be calm and continue to keep this the kind of place that's become a bunch of folks' online home for the past six years.

Violations of THR rules are still violations of forum rules. Don't insult anyone. If you can't abide by the rules, take some time off. Y'all have a good night.

hso
October 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
See Oleg's post at http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=398028 asking everyone to quit stirring the pot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Request: no more threads about the "obvious" crap." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!