got some lead, need some help....

PDA

yesterdaysyouth
September 10, 2003, 05:52 PM
i had my press setup for .38 for a 125grxtp, got some 158grswc today, ran one through to check the oal...

when i measured the oal i pushed the bullet down inside the case.... i don't think that's right so i screw down the die into the turret, these are lee carbide dies, crimp and seat at the same die....

next one comes out much tighter, couldn't push it with the calipers like the last one... so im thinking how am i supposed to know how much is too much ???

maybe this is why my .357 loads felt about the same as my .38+p's hhmmm....

later
john

If you enjoyed reading about "got some lead, need some help...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Poodleshooter
September 10, 2003, 06:30 PM
You shouldn't be able to push a bullet into the case. Even neck tension should hold it in place with no crimp at all. How much are you belling the case? It should be just enough to hold a bullet semi upright if it's placed into the case.
Set your die in the turret with no crimp. Then set your seating depth. Then slowly add crimp in 1/8 turns of the die body.

HSMITH
September 10, 2003, 07:07 PM
Back the die out at least a couple turns. Tighten the seating stem a little at a time until the bullet is seated so that the case mouth is even with the top of the crimp groove in the bullet. Now, back the seating stem WAY out, THEN screw the die down a little at a time until the case mouth is rolled into the crimp groove of the bullet nicely. You should be able to SEE the crimp easily with your eye. When you have a good solid crimp lock the DIE BODY in place with the lock ring. Put the case back in that you used to adjust the crimp, run the press ram to full extension (case up in the die) and screw the seating stem down until it hits the bullet. You are now ready to load one and verify OAL is above minimums, and that the crimp is still good. Give it a shot and let us know if you have a problem.

Mikul
September 10, 2003, 07:36 PM
Just follow Mike's handy dandy pistol crimp method:

Adjust the crimp die so that it doesn't even move the neck of the case and move it down until you can just detect movement. Pull the bullet. If there is a dent in the bullet from the case, back it out.
<begin repeat>
If not, turn the die down a little. Pull the bullet. If there is a dent in the bullet from the case, back it out.
<end repeat>

You get the idea. This works for jacketed as well as lead. Magnum loads are a different beast.

It sounds like it will take forever, but I've never had to pull more than four bullets to get it right.

yesterdaysyouth
September 10, 2003, 07:54 PM
well taking from these post here's what i did

i took a piece of brass put it in the press and ran it into the die, which i backed way out so it wouldn't touch the brass.... then i screwed the die in until i could feel it on the brass...

put a bullet in and ran it back up into the brass, there is a visible shinny ring around the very top of the brass and the bullet doesn't move....

so i locked the die and set my oal... pulled the bullet only took like 3 hits with the puller as opposed to 6-7 with the others i seated earlier...

what do ya think?? worst case secenario is a squibb right....

HSMITH
September 10, 2003, 09:36 PM
That is not going to work.

Seat a bullet to the proper OAL with the die body backed off so that it does NOT touch the case.

THEN back the seater off at least 10 turns.

THEN screw the die body down so that the case mouth is rolled into the bullet crimp groove/cannelure at least .005" per side .

After the crimp is dialed in THEN run the case that you just used to set the crimp all the way into the die. NOW screw the seater stem down until it hits the top of the bullet.

THEN load one more complete and measure it. OAL and crimp are dead nuts on.

Print this if you need to. Give it a shot and see how it works.

If you enjoyed reading about "got some lead, need some help...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!