Original 1858 remington army question

PDA

kletus
September 28, 2008, 02:49 AM
I just received my 1858 after a lengthy wait.
I never handled one before,even a repro but i was surprised when the cylinder pin came all the way out when i removed the cylinder.
I thought it was captive just from what I read and from movies, does anyone have any insight?
Is it supposed to come out of the gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Original 1858 remington army question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mykeal
September 28, 2008, 07:49 AM
Supposed to? Well, yes, in that there's nothing to prevent it, and it's not a problem if it does. It doesn't have to come out if you don't want to take it out, but it can. It's sure easier to clean if you remove it.

kletus
September 28, 2008, 10:54 AM
Does it slide all the way out with repros too?
I am considering having a gunsmith put a ''stop'' on the underside of the barrel.

Tommygunn
September 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
By come out do you mean that it comes OUT and is completly free of the gun, as in: separate from?
On the Remmie the underside of the arbor (cylinder pin) is flat for most of the length, until the end, where the flat tapers. On most, this allows it to stop when the taper hits the screw that attaches the loading lever to the frame. If your pin has somehow been made so the flat extends to the end of the pin then it will come loose and free of the gun.
The pin is normally held in by the loading lever when up.
On my Remmies. if you lower the loading lever the pin will slide forward and stop, but remain in the gun. It is forward far enough to free the cylinder from the gun if the hammer is at half-cock. But the arbor pin remains attached to the gun. To remove it completly one must remove the screw and the loading lever and the pin can be removed completly.
Does the above describe how yours is working??

scrat
September 28, 2008, 12:40 PM
YOu know your kinda like required to post pictures of that

kletus
September 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
Perhaps this is some variation then.
The cylinder pin is flat for most of its distance but there is nothing for it to engage ,no screw to hold it in.
So it falls out of the gun with the cylinder removed and the loading lever down.
120 000 serial number range.

theotherwaldo
September 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
This can happen if:
-the flat has been filed off of the end of the cylinder pin;
-the loading lever bolt has been removed;
-the loading lever bolt has a flat filed in it;
-the loading lever bolt is replaced with a smaller bolt; or,
-the cylinder pin is undersized.

kletus
September 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys,I've decided not to worry about it and want to convert it to an 1861 as it has that hammer and silver cone front sight.
How do I accomplish this?

Voodoochile
September 28, 2008, 07:44 PM
Um if it is an orriginal Piece from the preiod & not a reproduction like the ones from Italy then I would advise against modifying this revolver becouse of its historic value in as orriginal of state that it can be but if this is a replica then by all means have fun.. :D

Can you supply pictures for us?

Smokin_Gun
September 28, 2008, 08:33 PM
Does it slide all the way out with repros too?
I am considering having a gunsmith put a ''stop'' on the underside of the barrel.
Will Trade you a like new Pietta that the pin doesn't come all the way out on without removing screw.
Or anything of the value you put on your Remington to an extent.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/09-16-08_1626.jpg

SG

Smokin_Gun
September 28, 2008, 08:39 PM
kletus, can you slide the cylinde pin forward with out lowering the loading lever?

Has it got a straight up hammer spur?

SG

Mike OTDP
September 28, 2008, 08:55 PM
Do NOT put a stop on an original gun. You'll ruin the value. It's not a problem - the pin is locked in place by the loading lever.

kletus
October 4, 2008, 08:53 PM
Its an 1861 model with an 1858 loading lever.
Where can i find the loading lever for this model?

Smokin_Gun
October 5, 2008, 02:59 AM
Its an 1861 model with an 1858 loading lever.
Where can i find the loading lever for this model?

Get a Dremel or a file and an aftermarket loading lever, try a Euroarms.
http://www.ssfirearms.com/

Is the web long or short...ike the one in my PIC?(long)

SG

If you enjoyed reading about "Original 1858 remington army question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!