Holsters for women.

PDA

BBQLS1
September 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
Anyone got some good ideas on CCW options for women? My wife got her permit and has a Taurus UL 85 (J Frame copy).

If you enjoyed reading about "Holsters for women." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longtooth
September 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
My Mother carries a sig 232 in a Galco Miami Clasic shoulder rig & loves it. The 85 is even lighter than that. I like shoulder carry & Mom does too.
Some dont.

springmom
September 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
There are many ways to carry for a woman. The easiest to conceal is IWB. Many women carry "appendix carry" because the shape of our hipbones allow the grip of a gun to nestle right next to the hipbone where it rises to its apex on our sides. Especially true for a round-butt J-frame. When I carry the snubby, that's exactly where I carry it and it just disappears from view.

Her second option is OWB in a tuckable holster. I believe my tuckable is from Galco...but as so much stuff is in boxes and bags right now post-Ike, I'm not going to go dig it out to check. I also carry in a Jagwear belt pouch; the one that is slightly rectangular in size. It has the added advantage of working as a purse of sorts for errands, as it has a front pocket that can hold other small stuff.

Third, pocket carry. The problem with this for women is our pockets tend to be made "for looks" rather than for function, which can mean they're too small for good pocket carry. I'm not immediately recalling the size of the Taurus; I'm betting it would be too big.

Finally, when all else fails, purse carry. There are some good gun purses, that have hidden compartments where a gun can be holstered. It's always better to carry on-body, BUT....there are a zillion reasons why a woman might not want to/be able to do that at a given time, including pregnancy, clothing that simply is not stout enough to hold up even a J-frame or clothing that's skimpy enough that you can't hide anything.

Well, there's also ankle carry or thigh carry, but while I *own* an ankle rig, I never wear it. My jeans are not boot cut, so the holster shows. If she does carry that way it has to be with relatively "baggy" legs on slacks and jeans.

You might point her toward www.corneredcat.com for a good comprehensive treatment of the subject.

Ultimately, what she finds comfortable and workable will depend on her build, on how short-waisted she is (I am, and it tends to put large-ish grips up into my armpit... :o) and what she normally wears. It will require more than one holster for different types of clothing. And lots of patience to find the right combination!

Good luck to her, (and hey, get her to sign on here herself, we need more women shooters on board!)

Springmom

SKN
September 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
Useful references:

www.womensholsters.com/page2/page2.html

www.corneredcat.com

spwenger
September 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
My Holster Selection (http://www.spw-duf.info/holster.html) page contains a specific section on belt holsters for women, as well as a brief discussion of other types of holsters.

springmom
September 29, 2008, 02:28 PM
Spwenger's page on this is well worth reading, for men or women. Thanks for posting the link.

Springmom

Linda
September 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
http://kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=4&categoryID=22

Kramer Leather makes the most comfortable holster ever. I've carried my 1911 in this holster for 4 years and I love it. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting for my new one to arrive that goes with the new P99. I love this holster so much, that if Kramer did not make the holster for the P99 I would have not bought that particular firearm.

heritageguy
September 29, 2008, 04:28 PM
Try FIST www.fist-inc.com or Mitch Rosen www.mitchrosen.com for womens' hosters

tigre
September 29, 2008, 04:54 PM
A lot would depend on what kind of clothes she wears (or will wear) and what she's actually shaped like. It seems like women who wear their pants at their waist or have short torsos would want to either carry somewhere else or use an IWB or OWB holster with a very low rise. I wear low-rise jeans and have a longer than average torso for a female, so a normal IWB holster works fine for me (I got a Crossbreed Supertuck and really like it). No problems getting jabbed in the ribs with the butt of the gun or having trouble drawing or anything like that. Appendix carry seems to be popular among women as well, but you've got to have more boobs than I do to pull it off.

BBQLS1
September 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the posts.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I didn't see this one. :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Holsters for women." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!