Phelps Reloading Press-Anyone heard of??

PDA

RUT
September 10, 2003, 11:01 PM
I picked up this funky "progressive" loading press today made by the Phelps Mfg. Co. of E. Orange, NJ. It would appear to be from the 50's, and is built like a tank! It was obviously made for commercial or PD use, as I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg in its day. Has anyone ever heard of this thing? My plan is to clean it up and perhaps make a lamp out of it or so. :)

Thanks--RUT

If you enjoyed reading about "Phelps Reloading Press-Anyone heard of??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
September 10, 2003, 11:10 PM
It is pretty much a copy of the Star which may or may not still be in production, reports vary.

Make a lamp out of it?

LOAD AMMO!

RUT
September 10, 2003, 11:53 PM
>>Make a lamp out of it?

LOAD AMMO!<<

I do, but not on that old fossil!! Thanks for the info.........

JimC
September 11, 2003, 06:49 AM
Being from NJ I know a little about the Phelps press. In fact, back in the late '60's, I used to shoot b'eye with John Phelps at a local club and some matches.

I loaded thousands of .38 Spl. rounds on a Phelps press with no problems. I also used a Star press that I had prior to the Phelps. Many of the parts interchanged.

John worked for Star and when their patent lapsed or something of that nature, John marketed a press of his own. That's why the Star Progressive and the Phelps are so close.

Quantrill
September 11, 2003, 02:43 PM
J.P. "FITZ" can certainly tell you all about Phelps. Phelps was a imitator of the Star Presses of San Diego, who from 1933 till the '60s made the best progressive presses made. Quantrill

RUT
September 11, 2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. I hadn't heard of it before, but it was too good to pass up. basically, I bought it as an "artifact" for a mere $20.00, and will probably just keep it to look at or perhaps make a lamp out of!! :-)

Thanks--RUT

Paul "Fitz" Jones
September 15, 2003, 02:20 AM
I would appreciate a before and after picture of it as a lamp.

John Paul Jones
Retired Star Distributor
Star Reloader Reconditioning Center
coffeyn1@castles.com

RUT
September 15, 2003, 08:47 AM
>>I would appreciate a before and after picture of it as a lamp.<<

Ok, will do!!:)

C.R.Sam
September 15, 2003, 10:14 AM
Paul......he he he:)

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Phelps Reloading Press-Anyone heard of??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!