If you were a self made multi-billionaire what would you do for RKBA?

PDA

jsalcedo
September 11, 2003, 12:07 AM
Lets say for instance you were a self made entrepreneur worth over 100 billion (Bill Gates type) and you wanted to make a difference for the RKBA...

What would you do and how would you go about it?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were a self made multi-billionaire what would you do for RKBA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
September 11, 2003, 12:26 AM
I'd buy my own secluded island, and sell lots for those interested in building homes next to my 2 billion dollar gun range. Why should I pay for promoting a cause for a foolish populace that doesn't want it bad enough to work for it? People don't appreciate things when it's given to them....

...on the other hand it would be fun to buy the New York Times and Time Warner....then go with a pro-gun format.

Redlg155
September 11, 2003, 12:34 AM
100 billion?

You could start your own pro gun rights organization.

Good Shooting
Red

ReadyontheRight
September 11, 2003, 12:35 AM
buy the New York Times and Time Warner

Ditto. You'd probably make even more money -- especially if you told the truth.

C.R.Sam
September 11, 2003, 12:37 AM
Pork bellies.

Sam

jsalcedo
September 11, 2003, 12:44 AM
I was thinking that one could buy up all the good advertising slots and
show well produced pro gun ads.

Hire a good marketing firm to make shooting the new national pastime.

Build nice ranges where there are none.

Set up a good grades, good behavior for a gun and lessons program.

Produce a high budget pro-gun movie with well known actors.

ReadyontheRight
September 11, 2003, 12:46 AM
"Pork Bellies, mmmmmmm. I knew it!"
-Louis Winthorpe III-

Quartus
September 11, 2003, 12:47 AM
Yup. Buy some media outlets and begin a CAREFULLY PLANNED education campaign. First earn a reputation for honesty in reporting. Tell the bad and the good on everybody, yes, even the Republicrats.

Start using the 'entertainment' side of the house to educate people on the history and foundations of this country. Educate them on what statism has done to people.

Educate, educate, educate. Don't propagandize. Be merciless with sloppy research no matter WHO does it, friend or foe. Teach the sheeple how they've been lied to.

Form a tax exempt foundation and Create PSAs that educate on a wide variety of subjects. Junk science, consumer issues. Make them VALUABLE to Joe Average. Get into the schools in a big way with education campaigns. Summer camps. Support youth sports, and toss in some education with it.

Educate, educate, educate.

That's all done under the corporate umbrella. As an individual, buy airtime and promote good candidates.

SoCalGeek
September 11, 2003, 12:50 AM
Depends on how much i had, but chances are i would buy off enough politicians to repeal every major gun control law, and amend the constitution so that it clearly defines the 2nd amendment. If, after this, i had any money left? Suppressed SMGs and lots of ammo :evil:

Okiecruffler
September 11, 2003, 12:55 AM
How much would it cost to buy enough duct tape to complete wrap up Micheal Moore?

Carnitas
September 11, 2003, 01:01 AM

Moparmike
September 11, 2003, 01:10 AM
Donate a large sum of money to the GOA and the NRA (250mil each) and tell them both that "You have your money. Go and make damned sure that the truth is told about guns." or something like that.

I would then start a chain of ranges accross the US.

I would buy a whole crapload of guns.

If I was Bill Gates (assuming I still had my soul and hadnt sold it to Satan...), I would reverse the policies of MSNBC and make it a truthful reporting station. Anything against the civil liberties of the US or against the CONUS, would not recieve airtime. The GOA would be given discount rates for pro-gun advertisements. Stuff would change.

MMcCall
September 11, 2003, 01:19 AM
How much would it cost to buy enough duct tape to complete wrap up Micheal Moore?

Duct tape doesn't stick to slime.

Arkady
September 11, 2003, 01:42 AM
I'm thinking of a national chain of indoor ranges.... that would be fun :)

To be perfectly honest, with 100 Billion dollars, i'd probably say 'screw the NRA' and just start buying off politicos to get my way.
Yeah, it's against my principles, but i think with that kind of capital i would probably stop caring.

GSB
September 11, 2003, 08:34 AM
Since we're talking billions, one thing I always thought would be great would be to subsidize a large portion of the purchase of used target rifles and pistols for youngsters for competition and hunting (sort of a private CMP). The one thing we cannot do without is a population of young people who aren't indoctrinated against guns.

I would also spend a lot of money on PR for IPSC, IDPA , Cowboy Action shooting, hi-power and other shooting sports to raise the profile of the shooting sports in the American consciousness. This would include merchandizing (Cabelas would be selling Cowboy Action shooting logo shirts and IDPA hats, for example).

Since action shooting can be made very TV friendly, I would create regional teams to foster regional loyalties to among sports fans (this would be some sort of new sport or division of existing sports) and increase visibility through "team branding". There are several cable channels now that would probably air such events if the financial model were attractive to them.

I would also try to create an endowment to fund advertising highlighting people whose lives were saved by ownership of firearms.

Although the political stuff is worthwhile, I'd prefer to concentrate on laying the societal foundation for a better political climate in the long run.

FJC
September 11, 2003, 08:38 AM
GSB hit the nail on the head. I'd spend it on ranges, education, and furthering the shooting sports. My goal would be to get as many kids involved in shooting sports as possible, so that once they are VOTING ADULTS they'd be a ballot-army for RKBA.

In addition, I'd offer donations to worthy RKBA organizations for immediate legal fights.

Kharn
September 11, 2003, 08:57 AM
1. Buy Bushmaster and the Saiga factory in Russia (see Step 7).
2. Buy the NYT (it should be selling for cheap about now...) and a few major TV stations, fire everyone there and hire honest people.
3. Run Eddy Eagle every Saturday morning, along with short ~1min blurbs during other kiddie shows repeating the Eddy Eagle rules and such.
4. Hire Jim March to be my lobbyist to Congress.
5. Clone Jim March about 500 times, then sit back and wonder what every Representative and Senator will do with a Jim March clone sitting in his office 24x7.
6. Watch laws be striken from the books.
7. (Showing my geeky tendancy to read Slashdot.org) PROFIT! :evil:

Kharn

erikm
September 11, 2003, 09:57 AM
I'd look into doing a number of media acquisitions mentioned here, but I'd have Clear Channel Communications at the top of my 'to buy' list. They own a large number of radio stations nationwide.

Said radio stations would have their slant altered, even though this might sometimes sound a bit odd. A pro-gun, pro-ccw inner city radio station in NYC would raise more than a few eyebrows, for instance.

Another company I'd look into buying would be United Defense.

Somehow, I don't think the FTC would complain about a media mogul buying a tank builder.

cheers,
ErikM :evil:

cpileri
September 11, 2003, 10:03 AM
Finance my own campaign to run for president, give generously to the media so i can become its darling; after I win:
1. disband the BATFE
2. issue an executive order suspending ALL federal firearms laws- yes, ALL of them- pending constitutional review.
3. pardon everyone guilty only of technical crimes (only violent crimes get punished)

Heck, why go halfway?!?!
C-

Monte Harrison
September 11, 2003, 10:07 AM
Buy politicians and judges, buy media outlets, buy Smith and Wesson and burn The Agreement, buy the NRA, maybe found a competitor to the NEA, buy lawyers to defend people in gun-related lawsuits ...

Daedalus
September 11, 2003, 10:17 AM
Fill a swimming pool with 9mm and swim in it scrooge mcduck style. I dont know what this has to do with RKBA but I always wanted to do it.

OF
September 11, 2003, 10:32 AM
Just what GSB said. Get the truth out there.

- Gabe

jsalcedo
September 11, 2003, 12:49 PM
Fill a swimming pool with 9mm and swim in it scrooge mcduck style.

That would be on my list too but it would have to be Fiocci or UMC only:D

4v50 Gary
September 11, 2003, 12:54 PM
Buy a network and make it pro-gun. Fire all the antis on the news stations or cower them into conformity. :D

Skunkabilly
September 11, 2003, 12:58 PM
I'd pool my money with the state of Vermont and buy out a coastal county here in California, which will fall under Vermont's jurisdiction. And it'll help balance the budget.

I'd also open up a chain Chinese restaurant/coffee shop/shooting range.

Jeeper
September 11, 2003, 01:00 PM
I would but every gun company in the world and refuse to sell weapons to police or military in countries that didnt have a true right to bear arms.

Bruce H
September 11, 2003, 02:22 PM
I would hire the best investigators I could find. I would go after all those the rest of you are talking about buying. I would file suit against all the gun control organizations with a very friendly judge. Drown them with evedentuary requests. Cost them time and money just to do it. Generally make life miserable for liars, cheats, and theives.

Since we are in the realm of never never land.
Build a thousand yard indoor range.
Build a private airfield next to it so friends could come and shoot when they wanted to.
Have half a dozen business jets to pick up friends who want to come and shoot and have a good time.
Open a sporting goods store on site with every possible firearm known to man.
Build a lake for a break in the shooting action. It is good to do something else occasionally.

Joe Demko
September 11, 2003, 03:14 PM
Plastics.

2dogs
September 11, 2003, 03:24 PM
Free guns.

To anyone (almost) who wanted one.

Mark Tyson
September 11, 2003, 04:07 PM
I'd start a no-compromise competitor to the NRA with similar programs and fringe benefits, or else make a large donation to the NRA with future contributions contingent on a commitment to absolutely no copromise in the future.

I would start a "Liberty Media Inc." comitted to defending all our civil liberties.

I would fund youth shooting programs, youth hunting programs, youth gun safety programs across the country.

oldfart
September 11, 2003, 06:40 PM
At my age, I'd let out "contracts" on every anti-gun politician in the country. By the time the judicial system got around to convicting me I'd already be dead and in my grave, laughing at them.

Nightfall
September 11, 2003, 06:41 PM
How to make the money?

Step 1... get underwear.

Step 2... ?

Step 3... PROFIT!

(If you don't know, don't ask. You won't understand. ;))

Help fund the NRA, and fix the little things in it I don't like. With their massive new funding, let them do the TV commercials, work the politicians, etc.

Buy a fairly large liberal newspaper or two, and retool it to tell the truth, and support our rights. Maybe a news network instead, same goal.

Open a chain of ranges/gun shops all around the country. Advertise them and run family friendly educational courses there.

Maybe run for President. Eventually. Maybe another government position first.

Nathaniel Firethorn
September 11, 2003, 07:34 PM
Air time for Oleg. In the the States and parts of States, if any, in which the people thereof, respectively, shall then be in rebellion against the United States.

- pdmoderator

Bigjake
September 11, 2003, 07:49 PM
always wanted a pair of authentic colt SAA's

BryanP
September 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
Buy the state of Tennessee and then go around telling the anti's to "Git off mah land!" :D

telewinz
September 11, 2003, 10:03 PM
Buy my own firearms factory, buy the rights to the Kel-tec product line, expand my product line and sell firearms priced for the masses. Volumn sales and advertising, advertising, advertising. The RUGER of plastic, thats me.

Soap
September 11, 2003, 10:09 PM
Like others, buy media outlets. Then I would set up an RKBA trust fund that would essentially fund RKBA projects after I'm long gone. Not only would I go after RKBA, I would go after all individual rights issues.

Quartus
September 11, 2003, 10:16 PM
I see a lot of myopia here about the politicos. If you don't educate the masses you've accomplished NOTHING.

oldfart
September 11, 2003, 11:09 PM
Yeaah Quartus, education is a great thing and will eventually accomplish a lot more than anything else will. But getting rid of all the dissident voices would still be a good first step.

GSB
September 12, 2003, 08:56 AM
In addition, I'd offer donations to worthy RKBA organizations for immediate legal fights.

Actually, I think I'll add a legal defense fund for people charged with the crime of defending themselves to my list.

FJC
September 12, 2003, 09:01 AM
Actually, I think I'll add a legal defense fund for people charged with the crime of defending themselves to my list.

Ahhh, great idea, add that to my list. ;)

feedthehogs
September 12, 2003, 09:26 AM
Ideals are nice but the reality is nothing would be done by anyone.

When you reach that level of wealth your thinking changes.

There are already many individuals worth 100's of millions of dollars that are conservative pro gun people.
They neither contribute to or support 2nd amendment issues.

There is a reason that the term "grass roots" is used.

Art Eatman
September 12, 2003, 11:16 AM
Aside from the ideas about the media and politics, I'd get lawyers to go after the abuse of the Commerce Clause on the part of Congress, as well as the Unfunded Mandates imposed by Congress.

Art

Mute
September 12, 2003, 12:19 PM
It'd probably get me killed, but I'd hire private investigators to document all of the dirty and illegal crap our politicians in Sacramento are into and rat them out for the lowlifes they are.

Tamara
September 12, 2003, 12:24 PM
Sarah Brady and her ilk would tremble in fear before my giant robot armies.

Quartus
September 12, 2003, 12:36 PM
They aren't afraid of robots, Tam. In fact they PREFER robots to people.

As long as THEY control the robots.

GSB
September 12, 2003, 01:39 PM
Sarah Brady and her ilk would tremble in fear before my giant robot armies.

LOL! I actually had planned for that some years ago, but the the venture capital bubble burst and I haven't even been able to get the darned Secret Underground Lair dry-walled, and I've got this copyright infringement thing going on over my "Army of Robot Zombies" concept (some guy named Rob is suing me in conjunction with the Ed Wood Foundation). I tell you, it's just not the climate in which to be a Super Villain these days.

A few billion would be so handy right about now.

Trempel
September 12, 2003, 04:03 PM
I'd buy a couple of big newspapers in Cali. Maybe the SF Chronicle and the LA Times. Start highlighting the problems with the state from a different point of view. Finally allow pro-RKBA articles and advertisements to appear. Give money to pro-RKBA organizations and political candidates (Libretarians would be elected to state and national offices). Build gun ranges/stores all over the state. Etc.

Now, if I could just get my hands on all that dough...:D

UnknownSailor
September 12, 2003, 06:46 PM
I would bend all my time and resources to reforming higher education:
All those fossilized marxists who think they are safely ensconced by tenure would be targeted for an extremely indepth investigation into their grading practices, and every article or paper they ever published would be subjected to very public fiskings. These antiques would be shamed into retiring or quitting.
All school boards throughout the country would have paid volunteers sitting in at their meetings, and would face very vocal opposition to anything that smelled like post-modern relativism.
Much effort would be spent into getting the Federal Government out of education entirely.
High school shooting teams would be re-introduced wherever interest was shown, laws be damned.
Whatever is left would be invested in both GOA and the SAF, for these two organizations do more in one year for RKBA than the NRA has in ten.

Quartus
September 12, 2003, 09:13 PM
Sailor, you've got a mean streak. http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

:D

JeepDriver
September 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
Buy CNN and fire every on air talking head

Then fill their seats with RKBA types. Then hire Oleg to make posters and commercials for my new net work. :D

Bostonterrier97
September 12, 2003, 11:05 PM
I would take a Multi Prong approach.
(1.) I would give Generous Campaign Contributions to Congress Critters in sponsoring and voting for bills that would Repeal the 1934 NFA, 1968 GCA. I would also financially support congress critters who would introduce budget amendments that would completely cut off funding for the ATF.

(2.) I would financially back the Libertarian Party so that it would have more money than either the Republicans or the Democrats.

(3.) I would give Generous Campaign Contributions to any Congress Critter who would introduce a Constitutional Amendment and vote for it, that would unambigously set forth that the Second Amendment is an Individual Right.

(4.) I would also give Generous Campaign Contributions to any Congress Critter that would also introduce a constitutional Amendment (and vote for it) that would require that any ruling by the US Supreme court cannot restrict the Individual Liberties setforth in the Bill of Rights, but can only increase individual liberties.

(5.) I would also give Generous financial support to getting a constitutional Amendment that would require a Balanced Budget, Repeal Income Tax, and outlaw Inheiritance Taxes, and a constitutional Amendment that would require that all laws passed by Federal, State, City and County governments, must automatically expire after 5 years. This would help prevent the accumulation of laws which would suffocate liberty.

Congress and State Assemblies would be kept busy renewing laws which would make murder, burglary, rape, etc. criminal offenses.

After all they can only pass so many laws each year.

NIGHTWATCH
September 13, 2003, 03:31 AM
100 billion? :rolleyes:

I would not spend a dime on any politician. I would hire a high profle media firm and create a number of high impact announcements on the perils of gun control and the U.N.
I would buy all the airtime I need, especially during the superbowl and other mass comunication events and educate the people. Every major network would carry this message. Day and night till the well ran dry. :cool:

sm
September 13, 2003, 04:24 AM
Gotta agree with better education, reform of laws, and can't leave out pork bellies.

I think I would make cash available for any and everyone to get firearms training that requested it. Cash for guns , holsters licenses for CCW and ammo for those in need. Push for RKBA in so many ways...teach shooting in schools, build facilities where needed, heck even provide transport for those whom needed to commute to gun friendly areas until the pressure and education caused the breakdown of said laws currently restricting some areas.

Enough monies to help the RKBA by support of persons doing RKBA...gotta get some of the crazies and sheeple to convert. Yeah heck we may even get the duck hunters and clay bird shooters to see eye to eye...who knows?

I'm a realist...doesn't mean enough money used in the right way couldn't clean things up...NO Gun Laws...my goal.

Dilettante
September 13, 2003, 05:30 AM
One thing nobody's mentioned yet is...if you really head $100 billion...a lot of people would know who you are, and if you said that you put engine grease on your shoelaces, they would try it just to be like you.
So one great thing you could do would be to say: "I have a lot of guns. I like guns. I like shooting. These are the rules."
I like Sailor's idea for my own reasons. But to make a difference in society I'd probably go for the lower grades: start a chain of low-tuition private schools, run at half the public school budget but getting better results, with mandatory JROTC including shooting.
All teaching would be based on WHAT WORKS not on the PC theory of the month. :barf:
All these ideas of buying a big piece of land and a lot of guns are missing the point -- you can do that with just a few hundred thou.

UnknownSailor
September 13, 2003, 07:01 PM
My objective in reforming higher education first is that fixing the schools that produce our teachers would have the effect of fixing all the other schools.
"Control" the source of new teachers, and you control the teachers. The same can be said for "journalists".

And, as has been noticed, yes, I do have a mean steak, particularly for proven ineffectual leftist theories. ;)

Of course, my previous post doesn't preclude me from buying some toys that go bang, of course. :D

OkieGentleman
September 14, 2003, 03:56 AM
Dig a very wide very deep ditch all the way around it. Let in the ocean and wave from shore as it floated out to sea. :neener:

Dilettante
September 14, 2003, 06:53 AM
Of course, my previous post doesn't preclude me from buying some toys that go bang, of course.

Of course!! With $100 billion, I think any of use would enjoy spending our pocket change. :D

Chris Rhines
September 14, 2003, 09:56 AM
I had to give this one some thought (and I haven't read any earlier posts to this thread, so forgive me if I bite on anyone's idea...)

First, I'd blow a signifigant portion of the $100b on fast bikes, first editions, call girls and single-malt scotch. And guns. Lots of guns.

Next, I'd start setting up corporations and trusts, preferably chartered through holding companies in Panama and Singapore (privacy and tax-avoidance purposes.)

- First and most obvious, one trust would provide large amounts of funding for pro-gun and libertarian organizations in the U.S. Everyone from GOA to Bureaucrash would be eligible for a slice of this pie.

- A second trust, seperate from the first, would be used exclusively for buying politicians and federal/state judges, very discretely. I doubt that this would produce major breakthroughs in political action (the risk of disclosure is such that many politicos wouldn't bite,) but having half a dozen congressional votes in one's pocket could prove useful in some situations.

- Third, PR. I'd hire a major international PR firm (probably Edelman) and set them to a big social education project. I'd want ad campaigns, publicity programs, the whole shooting match (pun intended), all geared towards one theme: Your life and all the fruits therof belong to you and only you, you have the right to defend your life, liberty, and property, and firearms are the best tool for that job. Spread that meme far and wide.

- Fourth, the gun club trust. A large fund to set up and maintain large semi-private shooting clubs in all fifty states, especally close to major cities. The trust would either provide funding to existing clubs or to establish new ones. Clubs that are hostile to the practice of self-defense techniques would have their management bought out and replaced. Legal defense for clubs being pestered by EPA and zoning twerps would be provided.

- Fifth, the FSP. This is a multi-pronged approach. I'd invest heavily in a few companies that would provide useful services in a free state. Starting from scratch would not be out of the question.
- At least one firearms manufacturer.
- An ISP, and some computer consulting firms.
- Private power utilities.
- Private banking firms.
I can think of some others. The purpose here is to provide the economic base in the free state with a big kick in the pants.

After everything was set up and running to my satisfaction, I'd retire with a few hundreds of millions stashed in an offshore bank, and spend my time riding fast bikes, reading, shooting, drinking single-malt scotch, and hanging out with call girls. :D

- Chris

TekChef
September 15, 2003, 07:34 AM
Off the top of my head-
1.Buy up Smith and Wesson, find a leagal way to tell the gov to stuff it's agreement, and pull the company out of Mass, and put itin a pro-gun state like Nevada. Start making high quality revolvers with American pride and craftsmanship.
Oh....and any state that is Anti gun would then be not sold to-including police departments.

2.Start my own pro rights group that is focused on ALL gun rights. The NRA is too focused on the whole 'sporting/hunting" angle.

3.buy up a national media outlet of some sort and start running more unbiased news.

4.buy LOTS of guns..and have shooting afternoons with a few of my friends..ammo is on me! Oh..and I should have the cash for a private caretaker and smith for em!

GSB
September 15, 2003, 02:02 PM
Of course!! With $100 billion, I think any of use would enjoy spending our pocket change.

Three words: Gold Jacketed Hollowpoints. :D

M58
September 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
Buy 51 Senators.
Any questions?
:what:
:neener:
:evil:

RKBA 4 Ever
September 15, 2003, 11:31 PM
Buy a bunch of firearms and distribute them to friends, family, and all of the NRA members. Invite all the republican politicians to my ranch and give them a few hundred guns and let them spend the week shooting the crap out of targets and groundhogs. Donate a ton of money to the Boy Scouts and get back to the basics of teaching boys how to hunt and shoot guns.

MeekandMild
September 15, 2003, 11:41 PM
If I was a multi billionaire I'd be an anti. It goes with the turf. Gotta stamp out the uppity peons.

You guys are all lucky I'm a peon. :neener:

Nightcrawler
September 15, 2003, 11:52 PM
Why, I'd sit in my air-conditioned island fortress, sipping expensive bottled water, cleaning my custom one of a kind guns, laughing at all of you mere mortals who couldn't have them, and no one would get a dime of my money.

Why?

Because I'm an objectivist, and I swear by my life, and my love for it, that I will never live for another man, nor ask another man to live for me. So you guys can just forget it. It's all about ME.

:neener:

LOL

(kidding, boys and girls...I'm unsure exactly what I'd do with one hundred billion dollars. Initially, I'd probably pee myself.)

geekWithA.45
September 16, 2003, 10:20 AM
In addition to all the sensible things listed above, I'd buy the bleeping school textbook companies, and see to it that the fundamentals of freedom and personal responsibility are well taught across all grades, and I'd make durn sure that the 2nd and jury nullification was covered in detail.

School trips to the shooting range would be the norm.

Holly76201
September 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
14 pt If I were a SMM, I would hire a cult deprogrammer to "cure" Sarah Brady and her Board of Directors of their irrational hatred of all firearms and the delusion that they can be controlled.

DFBonnett
September 18, 2003, 08:02 PM
If you were a self made multi-billionaire what would you do for RKBA?

I'd buy some senators for the cause. Those whores *ARE* for sale in case that fact escaped anyone's attention.

Quartus
September 18, 2003, 09:49 PM
Yeaah Quartus, education is a great thing and will eventually accomplish a lot more than anything else will. But getting rid of all the dissident voices would still be a good first step.

Agreed! But that's the short term "put out the biggest fire" angle. Or call it the "shoot the closest bad guy" angle. (Figuratively speaking.)

But if that's ALL you do, you've lost.

I'm with Bruce - I wouldn't try to BUY politicians, I'd go after them legally. Investigate every move they make, every connection they have, and with my media outlets, tell the world what I find. Run the traitors and criminals out of office.

I'd also buy plenty of ad space in the hunting mags, including American Rifleman, and try to educate the idiot "nobody needs an assault rifle" duck hunter types.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were a self made multi-billionaire what would you do for RKBA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!