Why was this thread title changed?

PDA

boing
December 25, 2002, 08:59 PM
The title of the thread: The Official "Thanks, Oleg!" Thread (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=171) was initially titled "A Note of Thanks to the Online Firearms Community". The title was annonymously altered by a member of the staff, reflecting a sentiment I hadn't intended for that thread.

Why?

PS- I'm not trying to diminish in any way the significance of Oleg's contribution, which is huge and deserves the thanks of all. But seeing the brotherly/sisterly spirit of the other boards pulling together for the benefit of TFL refugees was pretty damn inspiring, and I thought they deserved a thread of their own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why was this thread title changed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
December 25, 2002, 11:35 PM
Boing, I don't know exactly what happened, but I understand that one of the moderators suggested that the numerous "Welcome" and "Thank you" threads (which were overwhelming the General Discussion forum) should be consolidated into a single thread for each topic. This was done by another moderator last night, I think (not by me, BTW! :) ) I suspect that in the process of consolidating the threads, your thread became the "mother" for all the others brought together, and thus had its title changed.

Sorry if this was done in any insensitive way - please have mercy on us moderators, we're still learning the ropes as well! Thanks for picking this one up and advising us: it will help us do things better (and more politely!) in future.

God bless.

AR-10
December 25, 2002, 11:59 PM
Seems like a poor way of merging threads. Whoever did it altered his thread far beyond his original intent. It really should be restored as originally posted.

Preacherman
December 26, 2002, 12:12 AM
AR, I'd do it if I could... I tried, but the software doesn't seem to allow one to "un-merge" a thread. Boing, how about this for a suggestion? Re-start your thread, with a cut-and-paste of your original post (or even better, with a new, longer one, that is more specific and explicit). This isn't ideal, I know, but it's the best I can think of for the time being.

As I said in my first post, please have mercy on us newbie moderators! We're still learning how things work, and we'll probably make some mistakes while we get up to speed. With your help (and boing, this thread IS a help - it alerts us to mistakes we've made), we'll improve rapidly!

Thanks again.

boing
December 26, 2002, 01:15 AM
Merged threads would explain it. I suppose even Moderators have a learning curve. ;) Thanks for trying to "un-merge" the threads, Preacherman. They musta used red LocTite on that one.

If it turns out that there was a deliberate reason for the change (and I don't think there is), I'll wait for that moderator's input before reposting. Otherwise, I think it's something that should be "on record", you know: "One day some kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You wanna know why? It was outta respect..."

On shallowing the learning curve: If an edit or other change is made, just leave a little note where concerned parties can find it. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why was this thread title changed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!