Any quirks I should know about with Peitta?

PDA

armoredman
October 3, 2008, 01:17 AM
I just recieved my 5 1/2" 1858 Remington clone, looks very nice, feels right, cylinder moves a bit. Real bear getting the cylinder back in after practicing the removal.
Any thing I should know about these guns? It's been a long time since I used black powder anything, gotta go get powder and cap now.:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Any quirks I should know about with Peitta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sandy4570
October 3, 2008, 02:19 AM
I just shoot my shortie this morning just to test the Kris konverter cylinder and it is fun. I left the hammer at rest when I put the cylinder back on and I press the cylinder against the hammer and put it on half cock , this would relieve hand's spring tension so the cylinder can get into position then I would wiggle the cylinder rod in .

Do you plan to do Pale rider reload ? It is sure fun but cleaning 3 or more cylinders after shooting was no fun :o

This gun is the most accurate of all among Pieta made Remington family ,It seem that they calibrated this shortie to shoot POI /POA at 15 yards

armoredman
October 3, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yes, I loved that movie, too. :) Need the cool gear, too, but that's REALLY expensive.

Voodoochile
October 3, 2008, 06:16 AM
I have 2 Pietta '58's, a 23 year old w/8" barrel & my year old with the 5-1/2" barrel, they are fine pieces.

My shortie had a grouping issue with the Percussion cylinders but I figured that out & reamed the chambers to match the barrels grove diameter, the action was smoothed by me & she locks up perfectly every time, very easy to cary, point & shoot.

BTW I have 2 spares for my shortie too, I'm still debating on buying a converter for either of them.

mugsie
October 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
I also have the 1858 in 44 cal and it's probably the most accurate handgun I own, bar none. I have Ruger, S&W and Taurus and this C&B BP revolver will outshoot them all at 25 yards. Yer gonna love it!

sundance44s
October 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
The cylinder being a bit hard to replace is normal on a new Remington ..it will get better and easyer as you shoot it ...
Before long you`ll be doing the cylinder swap like Pale Rider .
I`ve got a Uberti Remmie 5 1/2 barrel I use a conversion cylinder in and it shoots closer to POA than all my 8 inch barrel models .

armoredman
October 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys, you are making me feel pretty good about my choice! :)

Wwalstrom
October 3, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've got 2 Pietta 58's ... a blued 8", and a Stainless steel "home-made" shorty (6-5/8").

To remove the cylinder, drop the loading lever, pull the cylinder pin, roll the pistol on it's side (gangsta-style), put your free hand under the cylinder, and pull the hammer back SLIGHTLY ... cylinder should fall right out into your free hand. The only thing holding it in at this point are the bolt, and the hand. When you pull back a bit on the hammer, the bolt drops a bit, and the hand retracts into it's slot.

Reinstalling the cylinder is just as easy. Pull back a bit on the hammer, and line up a bolt notch on the bolt, and roll the cylinder in. I put a larger chamfer on the ends of my cylinder pins to help with sliding it back in ... no more "fishing".

If you enjoyed reading about "Any quirks I should know about with Peitta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!