Wilderness Rifle Works Custom Flinter?

PDA

Cosmoline
October 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm looking at spending some PFD funds on a custom Tulle de Chasse 20 ga. flintlock that was made by the now-defunct Wilderness Rifle Works. But I'm not able to find much about them or anything on their custom work. Apparently they made a series of mid-range traditional ML'rs. Any feedback on them woudl be great, esp. if you know of their custom work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilderness Rifle Works Custom Flinter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr_Pale_Horse
October 3, 2008, 02:01 PM
I visited their factory some years ago.

My first impression is that they made functional guns; intended for use. Not the prettiest, but on par with Lyman or the better CVA's, but not as nice as a Pedersoli/Uberti in fit, although maybe a bit more authentic.

At that time, they made quite a range of designs, and depending on the sourced parts, quality varied across the lines. For example, their Mowreys and Mule Ears were top notch. On the other hand, some their Hawken replicas were no better than what you could get from Lyman and pretty much dead on for the CVA mountain rifle.

Their fusil's were identical to Cimarron arms I have seen (and may have been one in the same lol).

They used midrange or plainer maple; hot browned finished (a dull brown parkerized it looked like).

Bottom line, if one can be had for considerably less (<$500), go for it. It can always be upgraded with a new lock or . . .

Cosmoline
October 3, 2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks! That's invaluable. The guy is asking $900 for it so I may pass unless he drops the price. I like the rustic look of it but could almost get a new TVA fusil for that price.

gizamo
October 3, 2008, 08:11 PM
A small point about the Hawken guns. They made their own barrels and had bought the old Douglas Co. equipment. Not really a fair comparison to the Spanish barreled guns. Deep cut rifling on the WRW guns made for a premium barrel. And they hold very respectible groups....

Never can figure out what was up with the trigger guards, very awkward compared to TCA's...

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilderness Rifle Works Custom Flinter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!