Man, my holster stinks!!! Odorusly!!!

PDA

CountGlockula
October 3, 2008, 07:51 PM
I've just been carry this Galco WB226 for my compact Glock 23 for more than a week now and last night I noticed a really bad smell. Picked up the holster and that's where the putrid smell lies. It's like a wet, expired leather stench. Don't get me wrong the holster does its job, especially for $30 and conceals well, but why the smell?

Is it because of the soft leather?

My new and stinky Galco WB226 holster:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WB226002.jpg

Also the smell has rolled onto my Glock!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Man, my holster stinks!!! Odorusly!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pure Kustom
October 3, 2008, 07:59 PM
It could be mold. Growing between layers.

bluez4u
October 3, 2008, 08:08 PM
Frebreze or Zorbex

Fisherman_48768
October 3, 2008, 08:19 PM
If the leather for the holster came from Mexico, then the tanning solution is once used beer, thats why the bad smell.

CountGlockula
October 3, 2008, 08:23 PM
Mold would be pretty nasty. It's been 90-100 here in CA lately so molding would be out of the question...maybe my sweat?

Galcos are made in AZ, I think. Maybe I'll contact Galco and see what's going on.

Quoheleth
October 3, 2008, 09:15 PM
If the leather for the holster came from Mexico, then the tanning solution is once used beer, thats why the bad smell.

Don't forget, ..."once used beer, strained through a horse..." :neener:

Archie
October 3, 2008, 10:54 PM
Could easily be sweat. That looks like an inside waistband holster, and that means it rides directly on or very close to your hide.

Leather does absorb liquid, sweat for instance.

WhoUtink
October 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
Do you carry in the small of the back/butt crack area?

Lonestar49
October 3, 2008, 11:35 PM

Kinda like what Garlic does, and smells, to Dracula?

Kinda will "limit one's dating experiences.." with the smell

Just had too,

Ls

EShell
October 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
Do you carry in the small of the back/butt crack area?
:D:D

That's probably it. :what:

I have a horsehide IWB from Bianchi like that that's almost worn through and it's not at all stinky, or, at least I don't notice it . . .

The Lone Haranguer
October 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Talk about a first time for everything. :D

At first glance, the Febreze suggestion sounds like something worth trying.

Omaney
October 4, 2008, 11:47 AM
Bet it's sweat. Anyone with a leather watchband probably knows the smell. That's why I never buy them anymore. That rough suede is pretty absorbant.

loneviking
October 4, 2008, 07:57 PM
I'd suggest you saddle soap the heck out of it, oil it with Neats Foot oil and then set it in the sun for a few hours. The sun should kill anything that's growing and the saddle soap/oil should deal with any sort of chemical residue left over from the tanning process.

markk
October 5, 2008, 01:19 AM
Try putting it in a plastic bag and sticking it in your freezer for 24 hours. I had several friends who played hockey and this was the trick they used to kill the funk in their hockey gloves.

WNC Seabee
October 5, 2008, 01:30 AM
Try putting it in a plastic bag and sticking it in your freezer for 24 hours.

As a current beer league ice hockey player, I can absolutely guarantee the freezer trick will not work. There is no funk on earth more nasty than leather palmed hockey gloves. I use wader dryers to dry the gloves between games. That keeps the smell down while my gear sits in the garage, but the moment they get worn again the funk is back.

I'd get a new properly treated leather or synthetic holster. I seriously doubt you'll get the funk out.

EDIT....Oh...Febreze? Won't work. You'll end up with a disgusting sweet/putrid smelling thing that's worse than what you started with. Trust me on this.

Claude Clay
October 5, 2008, 02:24 AM
oder eaters.....and take it on a 3 hour tour

Cosmoline
October 5, 2008, 02:37 AM
I have never had the problem, sweat or not.

CountGlockula
October 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
LOL! I keep it at 3 'o clock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WACarryrevealed.jpg

I carried in northern WA last week and the holster still stunk. I contacted Galco and mine appears to be new production, and made from their newer material (center cut steerhide rather than the old glove leather). They've sold well over a quarter-million holster made from this material, and I said I'm the first with an "odor problem" in the holster.

Should I take it back?

The Bushmaster
October 15, 2008, 12:11 AM
Yup...Mexican tanned leather...

chris in va
October 15, 2008, 12:17 AM
Can he use white vinegar? It's the only thing I've found that gets rid of 'river funk' with paddling/kayaking equipment that sits in a trunk for a week.

Stevie-Ray
October 15, 2008, 03:48 AM
Could easily be sweat. That looks like an inside waistband holster, and that means it rides directly on or very close to your hide.
More than likely. I have a pair of rather good exercise gloves that have begun to stink badly. Can't even stand to get them close to my face. I've taken to using a powder akin to Gold Bond on my hands and the gloves. It's better now.

Stevie-Ray
October 15, 2008, 03:50 AM
Double tap

Delete

Geronimo45
October 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
You could spray some clorox+water on/in it. That ought to kill odor-causing bacteria. What it'd do to the leather, I couldn't say, though. Works alright for shoes.

pbearperry
October 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just don't carry it Butt forward.lol

Butter
October 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
Funny to think that "printing" could be taken to an olfactory level.

"Look, I know he's carrying because I can smell him." :)

NG VI
October 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
Bet it's sweat. Anyone with a leather watchband probably knows the smell. That's why I never buy them anymore. That rough suede is pretty absorbant.

Yeah it is. Sounds to me like it's time for you to get a CTAC or MTAC... Or maybe a FIST Kydex holster, or any number of holsters that are not made of sponge-like material. The problem will probably return even if you do deal with it.

kostner
October 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
Think Kydex never smells and is quit. Have never known anyone who has worn one out. I have a IWB Glock 36 and another for a 1911. My wife has one for her Glock 17. Good luck

The Bushmaster
October 15, 2008, 05:16 PM
I have several leather carry holsters for IWB and they don't stink. Note where I'm from here. Talk about humid. Not as bad as Guam, but...

J. Jay
November 27, 2008, 04:00 AM
Unsealed leather is wonderful at soaking up whatever is given it. odors, oils, waters, etc. Try the old tried and true cleaning...baking soda..To avoid water spots on leather: Wet the entire leather evenly (even soaking leather is okay).But, before it starts to dry apply Lexol. After this is all dry, spray with super sheen(sealer) to avoid future sweat absorption.

WVfishguy
December 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
Take a dryer sheet (used to prevent static cling) and place it with your holster in a zip-lock bag over night.

FWIW, placing a dryer sheet in your shoes will destroy odor.

This works.

If you enjoyed reading about "Man, my holster stinks!!! Odorusly!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!