What's your "never" gun

PDA

RH822
October 4, 2008, 12:36 AM
My never gun is an abused beat-up New Haven 600CT pump 20. I've owned it for 30 years, I haven't fired it in 10, I never shoot it or hunt with it anymore, I only take it out to fondle once every two or three years. The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount with no.8 machine screws. The bluing is 80% gone and the barrel has been cut back to 18 inches due to a tragic hatchback accident in the late eighties. But I'll NEVER get rid of it...The forty bucks I'd get for it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "never" gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KC0QGL
October 4, 2008, 12:42 AM
My great,great aunts .22. No brand or s/n on it. The last time it was shot was about 13 years ago. When the casing spilt my Dad "No more."

SoCalShooter
October 4, 2008, 12:43 AM
Grandfathers Winchester model 63.

Dr. Fresh
October 4, 2008, 12:44 AM
I don't own any guns I don't shoot. I had a Steyr M95 for a while but couldn't find ammo, so I traded it for some knives.

The only guns I'm interested in that I couldn't shoot are some family heirlooms, an early-1900s .41 cal SAA that my dad has, and an old SxS shotgun my grandpa has.

Killermonkey21
October 4, 2008, 12:47 AM
My "never" gun is my dad's S&W .357 magnum revolver (I cant remember the number currently).

It has a 6" barrel and is all stainless. The rear sight is chipped on one side, it has some holster wear, but it was his for the 8 years he was on the LA County Sheriff's Department and was my first handgun (other than .22) that I shot.

The thing is dead-nuts accurate and I use it as my "bear deterrant" gun in Montana.

You'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers before I'd sell it. Oh, and the single action trigger is a work of art.

My never shotgun? My great-granddads Remington model 10A shotgun. I found it in the gun-safe (my dad hasn't given it up yet) and was utterly confused by the lack of an ejection port, until I realized what it was. The finish is almost all gone, the trigger has seen better days, and the stock isn't new...but its a part of my family history. Never.

EDIT: Oh...never SHOOT! My bad, take the revolver off then. I shoot that every once in a while. The shotgun? Never.

Floppy_D
October 4, 2008, 12:53 AM
The only things I own that I'd never shoot are my dog and my kid. My wife and I get along really well. Still, never the dog or kid.

Beyond that, all is fair game. I have a few guns I will *never* give up, but they see regular use, and will continue to do so.

doc2rn
October 4, 2008, 12:55 AM
I dont have any I dont shoot

sadp40
October 4, 2008, 01:04 AM
my best friends dying wish was that i would the para since he knew that i was barely struggling to get by with three kids and me on disability. his kids were there so i felt uneasy about it but, noone said a word since i have the same disease that took my friend. its just a p16-40 but it was the gun that made me realize that i really could shoot well but the cheap crap i had to buy wouldn't allow me to show it.

macadore
October 4, 2008, 01:06 AM
Mine is my great grandmotherís Remington 510. Its primary duty was to dispatch opossums in the hen house. When her sons went off to WWII my grandmother moved in with her and my father, who was 10, used it during the day for rabbits and squirrels. It was the first gun I ever shot. My son and I have shot it a few times. On auction sites these list for $75.00 to $100.00. To me, itís priceless.

tn-dave
October 4, 2008, 01:11 AM
Single shot shotgun owned by my great, great? uncle. Would love to know more of the story behind it. Unless my daughter has a son, I will pass it on to my nephew.

Claude Clay
October 4, 2008, 01:16 AM
some time ago i stumbled upon a alphabet bearcat, unfired and unturned. came with the original bill of sale-- $37.65. i already had others that i use regular like so, i guess i'm never going to fire it.

3pairs12
October 4, 2008, 01:19 AM
Winchester Mod 1911sl. They gave the nickname widowmaker. Didn't know that when I bought it for $100. Didn't plan on shooting it anyway. Just looked cool and its Winchesters first attempt at a semi shotgun.

jahwarrior
October 4, 2008, 09:11 AM
my dad's colt officer's model. it's sitting in a locked case in my closet, with it's holster. i take it out once in awhile to look at it, and to make sure there's no rust forming, then i put it back.

indiandave
October 4, 2008, 09:29 AM
My late wifes model 60. After she died I decided to never fire it and keep it as a safe queen. In honour of my queen.

Floppy_D
October 4, 2008, 09:32 AM
My late wifes model 60. After she died I decided to never fire it and keep it as a safe queen. In honour of my queen.

My wife got teary eyed on that. :)

76shuvlinoff
October 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
Dad's 12 gauge single shot.

Wards Hercules circa 1930-ish? 95% of the blueing is gone due to Dad thinking he'd clean it up with steel wool and there's a just visible bulge in the barrel a few inches past the fore grip. It has a real short stock and your thumb will punch you in the nose if you don't lay it on the other side when you touch it off.

It was the first shotgun I ever fired. I was 12 years old and I was using swelled up paper wrapped shells that I found in the trunk of the Desoto out back. I peeled them down to fit into the chamber. Before I or my wife were even thought of it belonged to my wife's grandfather and he traded it to Dad for $3.00 and a pile of steel scrap.

true story

indiandave
October 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
Floppy D thanks for the nice post. be sure to tell your wife you love her!

berettaprofessor
October 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Um FloppyD...you read this stuff with your wife? You do need to tell her you love her....mine just walks by and says "Are you reading more dumb gun websites again?":)

raytracer
October 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
Ruger P85. My first handgun so I'd never get rid of it, but it's a clunky unwieldy brick, so it never gets shot anymore.

Joe

Rxxdoc
October 4, 2008, 10:55 AM
My Grandfather's Meridian .32. The gunsmith said it would still be safe to shoot, but I would loose it if the thing kb's. I had it refinished in nickle satin and it looks really great. It must be over 100 years old because my Grandfather got it used when he was a young man. He died at 85 almost 15 years ago.

It's my prize gun.

never_retreat
October 4, 2008, 10:58 AM
An 1861 Springfield cap lock.
Yes it could fire but I never had a probably won't.
I also have a few others that rarely get shot.

October 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
Everything I have is shootable except a few junkers I keep in the guncase for theives to steal. They are not safe and when fired someone will be going to the hospital with bad facial injuries. Should be easy to find them. I did have one "never" pistol-a 32-20 Spanish revolver that had a swelled barrel. It put a hole in me when my cousin thought it was EMPTY, wc

ProShooter
October 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
This thread needs pictures!

My choice is....This ol' soldier..

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/199/coltni0.png

1910 Colt Police Positive Special, cal. .32-20

Grip is busted, hammer/trigger missing all kinds of parts, barrel pitted....I suppose you could load a bean in the wheel and whack the hammer with a rock to get it to fire :)

MinnMooney
October 4, 2008, 12:00 PM
A .22LR 9-shot H&R revolver. Nice gun but just haven't brought it out in 10 years.

Maybe I will today...... hmmmm.

goon
October 4, 2008, 12:20 PM
ProShooter - I'd get in touch with Numrich and get some parts to get that Colt running.
Even if the pitting is bad enough that you don't get the greatest accuracy out of it maybe you could still run it with reduced loads using 00 buck pellets for bullet.
Might be a fun short range plinker.

Most of the ones I have now are on my "never sell" list. I've been honing my collection into exactly what I want for a couple years now and am getting close.
It is easier for me to list the ones I would sell, which are my SIG P-226 and the Mak.
I'm still on the fence with the SIG - bought it at a pretty good price locally and it seems to be running fine but I'm still thinking about selling it to buy a GP-100. I just like the versatility and the fact that it will almost certainly use any ammunition that will fit in the chamber.
And although I practically stole the Makarov and it works perfectly, I would consider selling it if I could afford to replace it with a stainless J-frame .38 or .357. It would just cut down on having to keep another caliber of ammo around.
Other than that, I have pretty much every intention of keeping the rest of them.

theotherwaldo
October 4, 2008, 12:21 PM
Got three threads in one - never shoot, never sell, and both at once.

Sheesh.

I've got about 48 "never sells", two "never shoots", and only one that's both. It's a disreputable Iver Johnson .38 hammerless that's been in the family for five generations.

robsc
October 4, 2008, 12:27 PM
One of mine is a Volquartsen 17HMR standard rifle with 18 1/2 inch .920 stainless barrel, VG2000 trigger. Serial number indicates it is one of the first 100 rifles to be made. Volquartsen keeps the first ten rifles of each new model they produce. It will be a collector`s piece.
Another is my grandmother`s .25acp Spanish made Buffalo pistol. It`s a copy of the Colt vest pocket .25acp. Made in Spain before/during WW1. Blueing in 100% . Includes a box of ammo that she had with it. She was the last person to shoot it. Sentiments.

ProShooter
October 4, 2008, 12:55 PM
ProShooter - I'd get in touch with Numrich and get some parts to get that Colt running.
Even if the pitting is bad enough that you don't get the greatest accuracy out of it maybe you could still run it with reduced loads using 00 buck pellets for bullet.
Might be a fun short range plinker.

I brought it to a local guy who said it would cost about 2 bills to get it running. Right now its a classroom demo of what NOT to attempt to shoot. If it was in working order, I'd shoot it but thats a lot of coin to drop on a hundred year old plinker.

By the way, who is numrich?

BiggBaddWolf
October 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have a Winchester Model 1897, it's a 16 gauge, from what I can tell it was manufactured in the early 1900's, and was originally a riot gun, but someone has welded an extension onto the barrel, I assume to lengthen the barrel to make it legal. Anyway it was given to me by my grandpa before he passed away in 1978. He also gave me a Remington Model 11-48 410 gauge shotgun.

LongHairedHippy
October 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
My grandfather's old Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. It hasn't been fired in probably 25 years, and I'll never shoot it myself in all likelihood. I'm just going to take care of it and pass it on when the time comes for me.

heavyshooter
October 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
When I was 19 years old my father and I went to K-Mart so I could buy my Marlin model 60 .22LR - I think I payed $75.00 for it. When I went to graduate school I left it with my father because I was not allowed to have it in my dorm. He was using it as a back-up home defense weapon. I have purchased several firearms since then that have cost me significantly more than $75.00 so I told him that he could keep the Marlin. Last Christmas my wife and I went to Texas to visit him and we decided to surprise him with a .38 Special as a Christmas gift. I drove him to the store and we picked it up. When we got home it turns out that he had surprised me with a rifle case. When I opened it, the Marlin was inside and he said, "You always keep your first gun."

When we got back to Denver my wife and I went to the range and we put about 200 rounds through it. It would FTE every 25-30 rounds and I immeditely recalled the 2,500 rounds that I had put through it in the first six months of having it.:rolleyes: I've put about 4,500 rounds though it total. It looks great but it is not as tight as it was when I bought it. I was not very attentive to gun care when I was 19. The smith work would cost twice what I paid for it so it has become a safe queen. But I'll never get rid of it.

Heavy

ashtxsniper
October 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
My great grandfathers 7.7 jap Ariska rifle he brought back from WWII.

Chris M
October 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
One that I'll never sell is the 20ga Winchester Model 1912 that my father gave me. It also belonged to my grandfather. I'll probably never know how far back in my family it goes. According to the serial # it was made in 1914.

I probably won't be shooting it much - it's got a 2.5" chamber, and the ammo ain't cheap, and is hard to come by. Blueing is faded, the stock is cracked, it's got a shortened barrel with a polychoke on it, the receiver has been re-blued and has some pitting.

Legionnaire
October 15, 2008, 07:57 AM
Ishapore Enfield 2A I bought as a project. Still in the back of the safe, unfired, after several years.

Old Grump
October 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
2 double barrel 12 gauge shotguns that would probably explode with anything not black powder and I'm not sure they would hold up to that anymore. Make neat wall hangers though.

test drive
October 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
my U.S. prop. marked Ithica 1911

tribbles
October 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
My great-great-grandfather's Remington Rolling Block #2 rifle in .32RF. Obsolete caliber, a couple of hairline cracks in the receiver, most of the case-hardening coloration is gone, and the stock got a cheap varnish job at some point in its lifetime, but the only way I'd part with it is when my son inherits it.

No Fear
October 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
This thread gave me an idea for the ultimate "never" gun: a galil with the words "never again" engraved on it, and presented to someone who still has the number tattooed on their arm. Talk about an awesome pic.

As far as a gun you "never" shoot, that is a problem. Attaching that much emotion to a gun is not productive. I think a good lesson would be to sit my son down, show him grandpa's old whatever gun that is pretty much worn out and say, "I was going to hand this down to you, but it is worn out so I will now saw it in half." {saws old gun in half} "Now son, I put new cash into current manufacturers" {hands son brand new 10/22, AK, and Sig 556}. "I'm passing down to you the example of effort and work that it takes to keep the 2nd amendment alive." {son much happier with new politically incorrect guns than with grandpa's worn out duck gun-grandpa smiles from heaven}

devilc
October 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
Colt M1991A1 not fired since 2001.

qajaq59
October 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
:DRemingtn 760 in 30-06. And it's probably older then half the guys in here.

Joe Demko
December 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Mine is an early 70's vintage Savage .22mag/20 gauge that I inherited. It's in decent condition cosmetically and perfect mechanically.
I keep it because it belonged to a relative whom I loved and admired; he was one of my heroes. I never fire it because that same relative pulled a mean joke on me with it when I was a kid.
He was a complex man. Hard as a diamond and tough as an iron spike. A genuine, highly decorated war hero. Generous to a fault. Hard working. Intelligent. Also a borderline alcoholic who philandered relentlessly. His sense of humor ran toward the sadistic. In many ways he was a walking set of contradictions.
I keep it because of the love I had for him. I don't fire it because every time I look at it, I remember what a prick he could be.

Walkalong
December 21, 2008, 11:33 AM
My much carried, much shot, beat up, Colt LW Commander, and a couple of others.

rbernie
December 21, 2008, 11:35 AM
My FIL's S&W Hand Ejector (4th Change) revolver in 38 Special. It was his duty sidearm when he came back from the Pacific theatre and took a job as a policeman in Lubbock, TX.

He died when my wife was seven, and it's one of the few things she has from him (other than the silk flag he liberated from a Japanese machinegunner after having been shot in both legs tryin').

It was nickel plated, and the plating is peeling in places. The hand is also worn and clearly needs attention. Every now and again, I think that I should send it to S&W for refurb, but I always worry that they'll not get it right and ruin the handgun for good.

W.E.G.
December 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
Granddad's old double.

Won't shoot it or sell it.
Been storing it for many a year.

If I ever find suitable blood relative a generation younger than me, I would like to pass it along.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/shotguns/RusselArmsdouble-barrelshotgun.jpg

threefeathers
December 21, 2008, 11:51 AM
A Detonic's Combat Master my best friend was issued when he worked for a Fed Agency. He was a fluent Chinese speaker and ended up drinking himself to death. I have it saved for my son who is named for him but I don't use it.

doc540
December 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
1944 Winchester M1 carbine

Been in the family since 1964, and I can never sell it.

gbran
December 21, 2008, 12:32 PM
Back in the 70's I bought a NE single shot, full choke, 12 ga shotgun for $79 at K-Mart. Never shot it much, would loan it out to friends on a hunt, but I haven't taken it out of the safe in over 10 years. For $79, why get rid of it?

Javelin
December 21, 2008, 12:41 PM
Because $316 today has the same buying power as $79 did in 1976. Minimum wage was $2.30 (http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/blminwage.htm)and the average teacher in the 1970s made 3x less than they do today based on the federal average.

thertel
December 21, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have a marlin .22 that was the first gun I ever fired. I remember the summer we went to South Dakota when I first shot it. My dad had the rifle stored at his parents while he traveled with the military. He bought a Super Brick of ammo (5000 rounds) and spent the day giving me lessons on safety and how to shoot. I remember that as the best summer of my life, it was right after dad retired from the military and the first time I ever really bonded with my father, as he was TDY/Deplyed most of my life. It wasn't till 5 years later I found out the story behind the gun and why my name is what it is. The rifle killed my great uncle who I am named after when my dad was about 10.

Creeps my out to shoot a gun that already got one person with my name.

High Planes Drifter
December 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
My Grandfathers old Ithaca Model 37 12ga. I still shoot it once in a blue moon. But I'll never, ever sell it. It willl be handed down to my son (or one of my nephews) once he has grown up and started a family of his own.

Avenger
December 21, 2008, 01:50 PM
I've got a Vetterli-Carcano. It's the OLD Italian 10.4mm rimfire rifle sleeved to take 6.5mm Carcano ammo, with a new magazine and modified bolt. They were done by the Italians towards the end of World War I due to a rifle shortage for rear-echelon troops and training. Technically, it can fire regular Carcano ammo, but that is borderline unsafe. They work just fine with reduced power ammo, but those are tough to find. Mine is not something I would ever fire, frankly it looks like the personification of the word "patina", and that just doesn't bode well for safety.

sturmgewehr667
December 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
This thread gave me an idea for the ultimate "never" gun: a galil with the words "never again" engraved on it, and presented to someone who still has the number tattooed on their arm. Talk about an awesome pic.

that's a great idea, i know the perfect person to give it to. now if only i had the $ for a galil.

XD-40 Shooter
December 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
All of my guns get shot on a regular basis, my XD has over 3000 rounds through it 10 months.:D

JWF III
December 21, 2008, 02:16 PM
It depends on never what?

My never shoot (and never sell as well as every other gun I own) gun is a mint condition, only one magazine (of 9 rounds) shot from it, Luger P08. Made in 1938. All numbers matching, including mag. My dad acquired it for $25 from a friend. After seeing the gun my dad offered to double it to $50, but said friend refused because a deal is a deal. Before you say what a steal, it was in the early 1970s. The friends brother captured it in Germany, buried along with many others. He sent it to his brother in the states, but died in a car accident on the way home after the war.

My absolutely (positively) never sell gun is a Stevens 311G (I think it is the G series), 20 ga.. My father gave it to me at 10 yo (first real firearm) to get me started hunting doves with. I was so small, he had to cut about 3" off the stock for me to shoulder it. I since repaired the stock with an oak shim (for the saw blade thickness) and refinished it with several coats of poly. Always have that reminder of how small I was when I started. I hope to do the same for my son one day.

Wyman

moooose102
December 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
ALL OF THEM! i learned the hard way, a few years after i got married, we had some real financial trouble, and i sold off a lot of stuff, some i have regretted every single day since. now, not all of it was that important, but some of it was. the only gun that i sold that was (but i was to dumb, and desperate at the time to realize it) was a winchester semi-auto 22 that my dad had bought for me. actually, he bought three consecutive s/n rifles, and gave them to all three of us kids. he told us not to sell them, and i knew it was wrong when i did it. that, along with a few other items will haunt me to my grave. i hope i can teach my kids better.

statelineblues
December 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
ProShooter asked:
By the way, who is numrich?

Numrich Gun Parts - they have just about any part you might need - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

My "never" gun - The first gun I bought brand new - Colt 1911 Combat Commander (Series 70, but marked as a Series 80)

rugerman
December 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have 2 Rifle-ruger #1 .270 shotgun-Rem 870 12 ga there are others but those are my "cold dead fingers guns".

AKGuy
December 21, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a Remington Viper 22LR that's darn near 20 years old which I absolutely detest...it's a total piece of crap and has been from Day One. I have it because I've blabbed about it so much that no one will buy it from me who knows me, and I can't in good conscience sell it to someone else for more than 20 or 40 bucks. I only take it out and (try to) shoot it when I'm really bored/desperate for a change. God how I hate that thing...it eff's up on every basic function with every one of about 12 different ammo types that i've tried...blech:barf:

AKGuy
December 21, 2008, 05:57 PM
...so the Viper is the antithesis of a "never gun" for me...

If I can only pick one long gun that I'd never give up, it's my BLR 308...if I can pick only one handgun that I'd never give up, it's my SW 686+ 357mag...

But...I challenge anyone to try and take the Viper off my hands...

bkjeffrey
December 21, 2008, 06:00 PM
Remington nylon 66 and an old NEF 12 ga that my pops gave me 20 years ago.

Lucky Strike
December 21, 2008, 10:21 PM
Wish it wasn't so but probably my 870 express.....got it because a friend bought a clay pigeon thrower and we both said we'd do a lot of shooting. Well the thrower broke and we just haven't been in too big a hurry to fix the thing.

I've probably only ran like 100 rounds through the thing since i got it a year ago. When the weather gets better i'm going to make a real effort to shoot it more. Might be getting into 3-gun shooting so that would definitely get some use out of it

My most shot gun is also the first one i bought XD subcompact

Big Bill
December 22, 2008, 12:34 AM
Mine is my pre 64 Winchester model 94. I got it from my folks for Christmas and killed my first deer with it when I was 12 YO.

Darkness
December 22, 2008, 10:13 AM
My grandfather's old 1912 American Arms 12 guage side by side hammer lock. I am just not sure what to do with the thing. I had a hammer spring break and sent the lockworks out for repair, so now that's all set. Thing is, I don't think I can use modern ammo in it, since it is one of those deals where the barrels are made by wrapping wire, then heating it etc. I am pretty sure this thing was one of those hardware guns, where you come in, buy something at the hardware store, and get a free shotgun. The hammers are too stiff for cowboy shooting, and looking around online it looks like you can barely give these things away. So, it just sits in my closet.

expvideo
December 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
Phoenix Arms Raven .25acp

Personal reasons.

CoRoMo
December 22, 2008, 10:58 AM
Probably all of my current guns are on my never sell list.
Each has too specific a use, and they're all working perfectly right now.

Jbabbler
December 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
I have a 1950 nickel plated Colt 1911-A1 with bone grips that my grandfather carried in Korea and later as a police chief until he retired. After he died I had it placed in a case with his badge and 1965 Police ID card.

I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to take it out to shoot it but never have.

Nautilus
December 22, 2008, 11:08 AM
My Savage model 99 in .300 savage.

My grandfather gave it to my father, and he got his first deer with it. My father gave it to me when I was 13 and at 15 I got my first deer with it.

My father carried it in the woods hunting white tail for 20 years, I carried it for 10. It's a little rough around the edges and I've retired it to the safe where it's waiting for me to have kids.

Just One Shot
December 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have an old Harpers Ferry muzzle loader that my dad gave me. I believe it's marked 1813 if my memory is correct. My great grandfather use to hunt with it and it's been handed down to the first born son since his day. My dad wasn't really into guns and it looks as if he never cleaned it. The barrel is rusted inside and I would be afraid it would split if I ever tried to fire it.

auberg
December 24, 2008, 07:33 PM
Granddad's Iver Johnson "Owl's Head" .32. My uncle gave it to me earlier this year. It should be about 100 years old.

Dr.Rob
December 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've never sold a gun. :D

Only one I own that I've never shot is a second hand FIE Titan (Tanfoglio) .25 that had a broken firing pin and the finish worn thin. I Just replaced the firing pin and I aim to refinish it for fun, but I might shoot it before that to erase that 'never.'

KC&97TA
July 15, 2010, 12:08 AM
There are several.

I have never shot one of them, I haven't had the chance. Two weeks ago, my Grandfather on my mothers side gave me his S&W Mod 1000, the action was locked shut from rust around the magazine tube, hopefully that's solved she hasn't been shot for over 15 years, I'll never put her through what my 870 see's, but I will get her out for some trap/skeet one of these days. Grandpa put about a box and a half through her phesant hunting, she looks to be never shot 100% perfect.

I'm not looking forward to him passing, he has a few more that will likely find thier way into my possession... as that side of the family doesn't have an interest, or should I say "scared @@@t-less" of firearms.

I bought a similar S&W Mod 1000 that I've fallen in love with my first shotgun, many years ago, alot fancier, but it shows that it's been used... they're not a perfect pair, but close.

I also have a Savage Super Sporter 30-06, that was my Great Grandfathers on my Dads side, I usally take her out at least one day of each hunting trip for centimental reason's, it's hard to believe it's around 80 years old... accuracy is OK, barrel is pitted, 4 generations of men have killed deer with it and I hope to add a 5th and 6th before I leave all of it behind.

So if they ever come for them, they'll be locked up/burried, with EBR's blazeing away protecting thier existance.

bushmaster1313
July 15, 2010, 12:33 AM
My High Standard Flite King 18-7 Riot looks like it was never fired.

Don't know if I should try it out or sell it.
(It's the one in the middle)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG4030.jpg

Jbabbler
July 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
Wow, Zombie thread!

PAPACHUCK
July 15, 2010, 08:25 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/PAPACHUCK/IMG_0061.jpg

My first gun. I haven't fired it in over 15yrs. Gotta give it some love.

PAPACHUCK
July 15, 2010, 08:27 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/PAPACHUCK/IMG_0060.jpg

Don't know why I still have this, other than it ain't worth 'nuttin. Got all the goodies to go with it, but hate shooting BP.

Hunterdad
July 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
My 1972 12ga. Wingmaster that my grandfather gave to me when I graduated high school. Still is really good shape and only makes it out of the safe couple times a year for a round of trap or a pheasant hunt.

clutch
October 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
My never gun is an abused beat-up New Haven 600CT pump 20. I've owned it for 30 years, I haven't fired it in 10, I never shoot it or hunt with it anymore, I only take it out to fondle once every two or three years. The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount with no.8 machine screws. The bluing is 80% gone and the barrel has been cut back to 18 inches due to a tragic hatchback accident in the late eighties. But I'll NEVER get rid of it...The forty bucks I'd get for it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

My never gun is a 16 ga bolt action shotgun. A real looser of a shotgun. But it belonged to my grandparents so I'll pass it on to whatever sibling, niece or nephew that look like they will keep it and pass it down the line. I'll give them some good stuff to when that time comes so they feel obligated :)

Clutch

texgunner
February 16, 2011, 12:50 AM
I have two. My grandfathers side by side 16 gauge with external hammers. The second is a Belgian made Melior my late uncle took off a dead North Korean soldier in 1951.

ForumSurfer
February 16, 2011, 01:03 AM
None of them. Offer me enough cash and you can have any of them.

But my 870 Marine Magnum holds a special spot. I'd be hard pressed to sell it. It has nothing to do with the gun. Many family members and friends have enjoyed shooting it. It was also the first firearm I purchased (with my own money and legally from a shop) once I turned 18. $300 new at the time. I'd like for my son to squeeze off his first 12 gauge round with it, but enough cash and it walks. I'll buy something else he can shoot. It is the memories of the time spent, not the actual firearm that I value.

Granted, there are no WWII take homes from family members in my meager collection. Something like that I wouldn't part with.

Telekinesis
February 16, 2011, 01:21 AM
I am looking forward to several heirloom guns being passed down (but hopefully not too soon!) which I would never sell. But of my guns that I own and purchased myself, I would have to say my Sig P228.

It was my first gun that was truly mine, not one purchased by my parents. Bought it a few years ago at a gun show a few months after I turned 18 and managed to get a pretty good deal on it. It fulfills every requirement I need in a firearm. Defense, plinking, carry etc.

In fact, it looks like it really is going to be my only gun soon. I'm selling off the rest of them to fund some other hobbies.... But this one is never leaving.

LawScholar
February 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Any that are gifts and any that have family history.

So...all of them, as of now. :)

loaf_fan
February 17, 2011, 02:10 AM
I echo LawScholar. Any gun I have gotten as a gift never leaves my collection. As regarding ForumSurfer's comment "It is the memories of the time spent, not the actual firearm that I value.", I disagree. When you open up your gun safe and look inside seeing in my case, a Marlin 60 that my mom bought me one Christmas, or that Lee-Enfield with the pitted bore that I inherited from my Grandpa now passed on. It's like opening a photo album that no dollar figure to me is worth selling it. You might as well go burn that cherished photo album. There's more memories in that piece of wood and steel than there is wood and steel.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "never" gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!