Embeding Video

PDA

chipperi
October 4, 2008, 04:49 AM
I just searched for embedding video and came up blank. So is there anyway to do it or will I have to be content on posting links?

If you enjoyed reading about "Embeding Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
October 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yep, it's pretty much links only for video. THR can't become a video repository due to space considerations.

chipperi
October 4, 2008, 04:14 PM
Ok no problem. Not to presume to know more than an admin, but how does it use THRs space any more than a link? The video is still hosted on youtube.

Mal H
October 5, 2008, 12:43 AM
Trust me, you just might know more than me on the subject of "embedding videos" because I thought you meant uploading them to our server similar to uploading images (attachments). If it doesn't mean that, then your original question isn't clear. How can you show a video that resides on youtube without a link to youtube?

jordan1948
October 5, 2008, 12:47 AM
Like this

Never mind, it doesn't work.

BigRobT
October 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
As an admin of a couple of other forums, embedded videos use minimal server space, but they DO eat up some bandwidth of the forum server because it tasks the server to load some of the embedded video (about the same as some pictures). All you need to do is take a look at some forum that has several embedded videos on the same page. That page will take longer to load than the ones with just text. While it's a popular thing to do, it's easier on the server to not embed videos or pictures for that matter.

Thernlund
October 5, 2008, 01:08 AM
Mal... what chipperi means is rendering this code inline...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hxx2KcPWWZg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hxx2KcPWWZg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vBulliten can render inline HTML, but THR (as well as most vBulliten sites) have it turned off for security reasons.

There is a pretty simple hack that would allow YouTube video (hosted at YouTube) to be included inline without the security risk of activating HTML, but I dunno if THR would want to do that.

-T.

Audrey
November 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
Bump.

Let's get this done.

Mal H
November 15, 2008, 11:25 AM
Why?

What huge benefit would you get from it that you don't get with a plain old link to a Youtube video? Won't the members still see the video no matter what method is used to get to it?

hso
November 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
Let's get this done.

Sure, as soon as we start charging $20 for folks to join and a $5/year membership fee. Slower loads are not what the vast majority of the membership wants and slowing their access for a few vids they could just go to youtube to see wouldn't make them very happy.

MikePGS
November 16, 2008, 02:24 AM
Eh just link it. To be honest, most videos aren't worth seeing anyways. Besides you can only see that ATF guy shoot himself in the foot so many times (I assume, I personally am yet to have reached that point).

Mal H
November 16, 2008, 11:36 AM
It was a DEA agent, and I have reached that point. ;)

jmorris
November 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
how about something like this?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=399788

Mal H
November 18, 2008, 11:31 AM
We've got no problem with that type of link since it doesn't use inline HTML (it is loaded via a hyperlink). The hit on the server is minimal and the initial images only take about 20 kb so unless a page is chock full of them, it shouldn't affect page loading time very much.

jmorris
November 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
How are those setup?

zombienerd
November 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
I administer a forum myself (phpbb though) but I assist in moderating a different vBulletin board, and the youtube BBcode you can insert does NOT effect your server in any way, shape, or form...

It does, however, *slightly* increase page load time because the END USER's computer has to grab the video player from youtube.com to display on the page. On my personal computer, I notice no difference, but on my old PII test machine, it takes 3-4 extra seconds to load the page.

To use it, you would just wrap and around the URL to the video, and it would show the video right in the post, with a standard flash player window.

I find it a worthy addition to both of the boards I admin on.

If you would like instruction on how to add the functionality, head to http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111386 You will have to log in :)

Best Regards,

Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "Embeding Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!