What's your "never buy" gun?

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Meowhead
October 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
Post inspired by this here thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397517

I'm curious about just the opposite. What would you never actually purchase, except maybe to turn around and sell to some dumb sucker for a nice profit? You might hate the company (H&K). You might see the gun as an impractical gimmick (Desert Eagle), you might dislike some politically/legally-mandated design features (Ruger Mk.III) or maybe just think the thing is a useless antique (1911 (just kidding please don't kill me)). Whatever. What would you never get for yourself, and why?

My choice would be one of those short-barrelled S&W X-frames. The muzzle blast of a snubnose .357 is quite enough for me, thank you. I know it's not exactly a linear comparison (my .44 Mag for instance is a pleasure to shoot while the .357 is a pain, almost literally) but still. Snubby .460 or .500? NO.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "never buy" gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
October 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
Single shots, and High Points in any caliber.
Only ones that came to mind.

elChupacabra!
October 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
Another Taurus. Once is more than enough.

TexasRifleman
October 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
Smith and Wesson semi auto handguns.

Never again.

Dunno about the M&Ps honestly but my past experience with their autos was horrible.

neviander
October 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
Anything made in China

rono
October 4, 2008, 10:40 AM
Glocks, just don't like 'em. S&W semi auto 22's. Bought one and call it the jam-o-matic..

230RN
October 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
I presume neviander is a nudist.

H & R Model 949. (Nine shot .22 revolver.)

Only gun I never regretted parting with.

MinnMooney
October 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
Small Kahr semi-autos - I've had FTF problems and ejection problems.

Old rifles or pistols - I'm not an antique collector and have zero interest in non-tack drivering rifles.

Macho caliber anything - I've watched :neener: buy & try to shoot .454 Casull, .500 S&W, .300Win.Mag. (in a 7lb. rifle) and they flinch and can't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn..... unless it's mounted in a lead-sled.

Ian Sean
October 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Chauchat :D

Seriously.....Bullpup style rifles.....I just hate the way they look.

ProShooter
October 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_6601.jpg

ChefJeff1
October 4, 2008, 10:53 AM
12 gauge - youth stock, ouch!

CombatArmsUSAF
October 4, 2008, 10:53 AM
H&K, Glock, etc... just for the simple fact that I don't like them.

jerkface11
October 4, 2008, 10:54 AM
Remington 700

Werewolf
That's real easy...

Anything made by Ruger.

Engineers that don't understand the fundamental concept of tolerance stack are why.

raveneap
Another NAA mini-mag. Bought one on impulse, was lucky enough to sell it for what I paid a couple weeks later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/raveneap/DSC00722a.jpg?t=1223131983

slewfoot
October 4, 2008, 10:55 AM
I second the Ruger thing.

spuscg
October 4, 2008, 10:59 AM
glocks just hate them, if there was an anti glock thread id keep it going for days , bolt action shotguns, bolt action muzzleloaders? uber-magnums.

Killermonkey21
October 4, 2008, 11:26 AM
Desert Eagle. Fired one at the range when a guy offered to let me shoot it...

Any HANDGUN that requires a GAS system in order to be fired is not my kind of gun.

Also, any Contenders or single shot break actions.

theotherwaldo
October 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
Bling-ed out guns. My guns are power tools, not jewelry!

-And I'm not a cop so I don't need a BBQ gun.

jnyork
October 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Anything that fires a cartridge with a belt around the base. Fired a guy's .300 Win Mag once and had a headache for 3 days.:( If I cant get it done with my .257 Roberts or my .308, it gets to keep living!! :D

RyanM
October 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Anything with a key lock in it.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 4, 2008, 11:33 AM
Savage
Kel tec
Taurus
Hi Point

And also have a huge distain for the Remington 700 POS.

wyocarp
October 4, 2008, 11:37 AM
A couple of the guns mentioned has upset me, so now it's my turn.

Anything made by Taurus.

Schmidlin
October 4, 2008, 11:46 AM
Any smith and wesson revolver or any 30.06 with a wood stock.

Master Blaster
October 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
Anything made by SIG Arms.
My Sig P220 ST is the most expensive unreliable, inaccurate, piece of crap ever made.
Their customer service is the worst in the industry.

glockman19
October 4, 2008, 11:50 AM
I will NEVER buy a Taurus or Rossi firearm.

shotgun12321
October 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Savage
Kel tec
Taurus
Hi Point

I agree

ProShooter
October 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
you anti-Glock guys dont know what you're missing! :)

Javelin
October 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
you anti-Glock guys dont know what you're missing!

More for us ProShooter. ;)

JT in VA
October 4, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have been fortunate to have been issued or owned various quality firearms such as glocks, sigs, and S & Ws. I am curious, what Taurus guns are disasters? I have only owned a PT22 and a Model 82 .38 special. Both worked fine, granted they are essentially imitations of better guns, - so which Taurus guns are bad? They seem to have a lot of innovative stuff on the market, I have just never owned or shot them.

smee781
October 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
Master blaster you lie,,,Taurus had the worlds worst customer service!:mad::mad::cuss::banghead:

Javelin
October 4, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have been fortunate to have been issued or owned various quality firearms such as glocks, sigs, and S & Ws. I am curious, what Taurus guns are disasters? I have only owned a PT22 and a Model 82 .38 special. Both worked fine, granted they are essentially imitations of better guns, - so which Taurus guns are bad? They seem to have a lot of innovative stuff on the market, I have just never owned or shot them.

When Taurus introduced their ultralite - type revolvers they were awful (and I have heard their customer service is non-existent but I have no personal experience on it thankfully). I handled one at the gun store and it was broken from NIB under the counter. Basically the cylinder was mis-aligned and seemed to be bent so it was not seating properly (or at all really) when locked in position. That is really scary... and they put it back under the glass after I pointed out to them what the problem was. That might even be more scary! Hope the poor sucker that bought that Taurus looked before he shot or he might only be counting to 6 on both hands.

On a side note I don't buy cheap guns (minus that darn black Romanian AK-underfolder for $349...). Not saying I don't own a few Nagants but cheap being quality just turns me off and I would rather have 2 really nice firearms than 5 or 6 less desireable/questionable ones.

Glock, HK, SIG all quality. Nothing against gunshow purchases (I buy from gunshows too)*************
*BUT* If your buying used at a gun show just realize more times than not there is a reason why it is sitting there on the table and not in the person's gun safe. Buying from unknown second hand dealers/people can sometimes lead to just purchasing their problem (now former problem as you now own it). So if your buy that Kahr PM9, KelTec P3AT, SIG P228, HK USP45... just be careful and look it over really well and maybe even do some studying before hand so you know what to look for so you don't buy someone's jam-o-matic that they just want to ditch in lieu of fixing whatever is wrong with it.

Good luck!

:)

RaspberrySurprise
October 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
A Fudd rifle, by which I mean an of the factory made just for hunting synthetic stock remchesterby wonders sold by the crate. They just don't speak to me like a milsurp does. Though I might buy one say if it was from the seventies or earlier but not something modern.

LongHairedHippy
October 4, 2008, 12:17 PM
Just. Glocks.

texas bulldog
October 4, 2008, 12:23 PM
Any smith and wesson revolver or any 30.06 with a wood stock.
really?

for me the list would include several, really. they're not all bad guns, necessarily, i just don't have any interest. for instance:

- desert eagle...just too big and too dumb
- H&K...because they hate me
- any handgun in .460 or .480 or .500
- ruger autos (though i like the revolvers)
- any shotgun with a barrel over 26"...'cause i just ain't that big
- any rifle (other than an AR) or shotgun with a synthetic stock...just 'cause i'm a traditionalist and i like wood
- any taurus, rossi, or charter arms revolver...why bother when a ruger is only a little more?
- any handgun with an accessory rail if there is a version without one
- anything with "bling"
- anything chinese
- anything two-tone...i just don't like how it looks; pick stainless or blue, not both

that's probably not an exhaustive list...

SaxonPig
October 4, 2008, 12:38 PM
Springfield Armory for screwing investors a few years ago and Ruger for Bill stabbing us in the back when he sided with Schumer et al in the 1994 assault weapon ban.

damien
October 4, 2008, 02:17 PM
Tec-9. I have known several guys who had bought these and none of them ever were anything close to reliable, even with factory ball ammo and with the gun itself in apparently fine purchased-new condition.

Armed 24/7
October 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
I will never again buy any Kahr product. I wasted about $600 on a P9 when they first came out, and sold it for a big loss, because I fully disclosed it's failings. It was the biggest POS pistol I have ever owned...

Loosedhorse
October 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
AKs.

They offend my aesthetics.

:barf:

Wolfman_556
October 4, 2008, 02:26 PM
Glock, XD, and all other striker-fired pistols.

If I can't see a hammer, I don't trust it.

Plus I hate DAO.

hobgob
October 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
Jerkface... what do you have against a remington 700?

To answer the original question, I will never buy a walther or a taurus. I have a P22, hated it, gave it to my bro. Taurus? I would rather spend the extra cash for a better product.

PotatoJudge
October 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
Belted magnums. No problem with mags, but for reloading the belt isn't something I want to deal with.

44 mag. Why buy a 43 when I can shot a 45 (LC)?

Most polymer semiautos, though a micro Glock 357 Sig or 10mm is tempting.

jimmyraythomason
October 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
All Glocks

JR47
October 4, 2008, 03:11 PM
S&W
Glock
HK

S&W for their sell-out to Clinton, and spotty QC.

Glock because they balance like a 2x4 with a handle.

HK because they are oversized, overpriced, and overly complex.

Daniel1120
October 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
Taurus. Semi's or revolvers, iv'e owned both.

Never again.

Dain Bramage
October 4, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'll join Master Blaster in the SIG concentration camp. I've rented a few: never liked them, never shot well with them.

To all the people that love their SIGs; more power to you. We should be one big, diverse firearms family...who all hate wheelguns so there are more left for me. :)

brhodes
October 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
Going to have to go with Glocks. I've tried pretty much all of them (people in my family are fans), but none of them seem to fit my hand quite right. It's like each one is a half a millimeter off in one dimension or another, and they just aren't comfortable. Nothing against them other than that, really.

I wasn't too fond of the USP Tactical now that I think about it. Was like shooting a brick.

So, those two I probably won't be buying anytime soon.

Kind of Blued
October 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
Any pistol in .25 or .32.

When one can get a .38 Spl, 9mm, or at least .380 which one can conceal in a pair of swim trunks... I really don't see the point.

...and they're usually fugly. :)

earplug
October 4, 2008, 03:50 PM
Anything in .357 SIG. I reload.

mgregg85
October 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
No speshul weaponz or hi-point pistols:barf:. I have no desire for a .40 Short & Weak unless it happens to be a SUB-2000, otherwise i'll take the real deal 10mm.

I do love my rugers, I wouldn't mind a glock 10mm, and one of these days i'm gonna get myself one of the S&W J-frame bodyguards in .357 mag.

mgregg85
October 4, 2008, 03:55 PM
Any pistol in .25 or .32.

When one can get a .38 Spl, 9mm, or at least .380 which one can conceal in a pair of swim trunks... I really don't see the point.

...and they're usually fugly.

Surely you couldn't say that about any of the beretta .25 ACP or .32 ACP pistols?
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20italienne/beretta/beretta%20tomcat%20mod%203032%20cal%2032.jpg
For that matter I don't think i've seen an ugly beretta yet.

zombie666
October 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
hunting guns - don't hunt, no use for them
Jennings, Kel-Tec, HiPoint, etc. - that quality thing you know
ARs - I'm an AK man

jdc1244
October 4, 2008, 04:12 PM
Glocks, anything plastic. ARs, SxS shotguns, bullpups:barf:, and the already mentioned poor quality firearms in any configuration.

benEzra
October 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
Any over-under or side-by-side shotgun. ESPECIALLY if it has frilly engraving on it, or if I could sell it and buy an AR, an optic, and a year's supply of ammo.

Any single-shot rifle, unless it's a Sharps or a precision rifle or a historical reproduction. No Ruger No. 1's and the like.

P90shooter
October 4, 2008, 05:01 PM
Glocks - Cant stand the way they feel in my had/KABOOM (had to jab the glock fans)
Rossi - Just cant bring myself to own one of those EVER!
Jennings - Had one blow apart in my hand (Luckly for me I wasnt hurt)
HI-Point - Better as a paper weight then a hand gun
HK - because they hate us
Desert Eagle - just to damn big
S&W X frames - see Desert Eagle

polizei36
October 4, 2008, 05:12 PM
Any wheel gun.....I just think their outdated. (But they are good choices for the elderly and anyone weak handed etc..etc..)

Joey_the_Wolf
October 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
Desert Eagle or Mark 23. Way WAYYYY too huge for me, and I can't seem to justify spending that much money on what amounts to be a massive warhammer sized pistol. Then again, if you want to give me one for free, I'm not going to argue with you, lol. There's nothing really *wrong* with either gun per se, but they're not for me.

blackcash88
October 4, 2008, 05:18 PM
Kel-Tec...and anything from Crossbreed. ;)

Fat Boy
October 4, 2008, 06:06 PM
Wow- After reading this list I am trying to figure out what is left to buy...

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
Taurus or Ruger

Any "plastic" pistol

SigP229R
October 4, 2008, 06:21 PM
If it's plastic or don't have a hammer, I ain't buying, love my 229 in da/sa and my 5903 and my 92 but just can't bring myself to like Glocks either. nWould like to find an older/hammered version of an HK in compact.

SGW42
October 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
I honestly can't think of anything that I wouldn't at least try out, if it were given to me.

jhco
October 4, 2008, 06:34 PM
hi point, patriot, skyy, or any other junk gun like these

loneviking
October 4, 2008, 06:37 PM
Glocks--ugly, feel bad in my hand and they spit brass straight up which often gets me.

Charter Arms---they just look and feel like something waiting to blow up.

mgh
October 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
Taurus revolvers.

Ben86
October 4, 2008, 06:45 PM
From personal experience the only guns I have had a problems with are Savage .22 rifles. This one bolt action I have has 2 extractors that simply hold on to the brass more often then not. Plus the magazine does not line up well with the chamber yet it doesn't have a feed ramp! POS!

I would never buy single shot or double barreled anything.

I would never buy a revolver for anything besides handgun hunting.

I will never buy another Glock 17 because I already have one and it will never break! :)

MS .45
October 4, 2008, 06:47 PM
Probably any of the HK line of pistols. Just can't justify the cost. They are probably great firearms, just too much $.

p2000sk
October 4, 2008, 06:47 PM
.50 Desert Eagle flaunting gold plate and silver tiger stripes all over it.
Was being sold "used".
He already sold it 3 times in 6 months.
"It keeps coming back!"

JT in VA
October 4, 2008, 06:49 PM
Beretta Neos. Just plain ugly.

Wolfman_556
October 4, 2008, 07:04 PM
Wow- After reading this list I am trying to figure out what is left to buy...

CZ-75B, and its grandmother the Browning Hi-Power.

These two plus the 1911A1 are still my favorite pistols and probably always will be.

:cool:

Starter52
October 4, 2008, 09:13 PM
"Pinto" revolvers: blued frame with nickel cylinder, etc. Ugly. Hate 'em.

Classic long guns (Ruger #1, Marlin lever rifle, O/U shotguns) with plastic stocks. Some guns just must have wood stocks.

rfurtkamp
October 4, 2008, 09:35 PM
Anything Ruger. Awful history, fugly nasty guns. They may work, but so do the Hi-Points and the old P-series Rugers have the same blockiness, cheapness, and weight.

Anything Kahr/AO. When multiple 1927A1s can exhibit the same exact problem (bolts blowing metal fragments out of the side when firing) and not work before that point reliably, and still cost what HK does.....I rest my case.

pakmcc
October 4, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'll never buy a S&W automatic, as in anything S&W makes pistol or rifle.
I love S&W revolvers; Taurus, never again. They are not quite ready for prime time, yet.
Rugers, They do not shoot to point of aim, And their revolvers are not as accurate as Smith revolvers.
I usually don't do FN's, mostly they can't shoot lead(poligonal barrels) and Glocks just don't fit my hands.
I do CZ's (all cal. and my wife does too, all cal) and BErsa's. And yes, I've shot all of the above and I have a very interesting collection of CZ's
Pat

sanglant
October 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
this one http://www.swissminigun.ch/img/or_rev_b.jpg (http://www.swissminigun.ch/home.html) :neener:

jjbduke2004
October 4, 2008, 10:16 PM
Glock (cheap plastic kid's toy)
and H&K because I suck and they hate me :(

B yond
October 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
I will never buy a defensive weapon with a grip safety.

I read a report and several articles about a police officer who shot and killed a suspect after his hands were severely cut (we're talking to the bone), and he was barely able to pull the trigger. The perp was trying to get the rifle out of the officers cruiser at the time. That officer would be dead right now if he'd had to work a grip safety to make his weapon go boom. Wal-mart parking lots...dangerous places.

I wouldn't mind a tricked out 1911 for a target shooter/competition gun, but I'd never carry one.

No XDs until they ditch the grip safety. No Uzis (don't like the firing from open breach anyway).

Oh, and I'd never buy a weapon with that mod that makes it inoperable unless the shooter is wearing a special magnetized ring. No thank you.

I must say I love my Ruger, my Hi-Point, my NAA mini, My AR-7, and my H&R even though they all get bashed on threads like this.

B yond
October 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Any wheel gun.....I just think their outdated. (But they are good choices for the elderly and anyone weak handed etc..etc..)

Or anyone who wants to shoot wadcutters, wants to load their own without worrying about cycling the action, wants to shoot shot shells, or wants to be able to shoot more than one shot underwater. :)

cliffy
October 4, 2008, 10:53 PM
Why hedge regarding a few bucks, when you'll likely own it forever or trade-in swiftly a lesser Semi-Auto caliber? Kimber is King for the hard-earned dollars spent. .45 ACP because NOTHING else compares for semi-auto PROWESS. Surely a .454 Casull rules the roost powerwise, but a semi-auto .454? If James Bond had access to a decent .45 ACP, he wouldn't have played life-or-death games with a Walther PPK .380 mini-pistola. 9mm Parabellum is the very LEAST amount of power that could consistantly save your life. You'll note I mentioned MINIMAL amount of power and ONLY with proper bullets and maximum handloads. People under the influence of certain drugs appear to have super-human, if short-lived, strength. Set them immediately straight with a sturdy, convincing .45 ACP offering. If one expects a handgun to protect one's self, don't play seriously deadly games with your life. cliffy

Scott7891
October 4, 2008, 10:55 PM
hunting/civilian/target style firearms- they all look the same, they dont seem to me to have the durability, longevity, and history of military-style firearms, and i dont hunt or enter in shooting competitions

AR's-too unreliable and underpowered for my taste unless it is an AR with a gas piston and fires 6.8 SPC then you might convince me otherwise. like someone already said im an AK man.

H&K pistols- others stated that quite eloquently plus I hear they are unreliable for the cost

Glocks- didnt like the feel of it, ugly, grips too thick, way overrated

Tec-9-POS from Sweden. Its already obvious how bad it is.

thats all i can think of now

franx1911a
October 4, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think its kind of funny how almost every major (and minor) brand has been named. On the list of disdain, I owned an older Taurus PT92 in the early 90's, truly regret selling it. It was extremely accurate, beautiful trigger, truly regretted having to part with it. I purchased a new replacement last year.... what a POS !!! I don't know about the Hi Point pistols, but I have a 9mm and .40 carbine, and love them both, no FTF problems in over 800 rounds each now. I owned a 3rd Gen Glock 22 that I couldn't get rid of fast enough, ugly, brutal to shoot. I have several Springfield 1911's that I hope to take to the afterlife with me. Had a Colt 1911 that even a couple trips back to Colt couldn't make right. And now I have recently become a Sig Snob and while having one P220 that I couldn't re-sell fast enough, I have another along with two P245's that I must fight my wife for both carry and range time. I have hated S&W for years, but recently shot a friends Model 19, just an old gun that has never been "worked".... truly a Gem! The bottom line is I am starting to think that aside from individual preference, personal "fit" to the gun, etc that it almost depends more on the day of the week and if the QC guy was hungover, than the brand of the gun.
Sorry for rambling on and on and on and on and on....

nwilliams
October 4, 2008, 10:59 PM
I am ashamed to say that I purchased a Vulcan Arms V94 a few years ago:o:banghead::barf::uhoh:

NEVER AGAIN !!!

I had the POS about three months and had to send it back for repairs about two weeks after I bought it. After I got it back a month later I spent another month trying to sell it. All in all I put about 400 rounds through it and I don't think it ever got through one full mag without jamming. Without a doubt the biggest POS gun I have ever owned. I wish I had been a member of the online firearms community back then before I bought it, then maybe I would have done the proper research first and avoided making a huge financial mistake. At least I learned my lesson, now I do research before I buy.

gvnwst
October 4, 2008, 11:00 PM
.408 cheytac intervention. why buy a overrated, not so great anyhow piece of crap? one that the price is marked up $6,000 higher than it should be. the barrett model 99 in
.416 can do everything better in a rifle 1/3 the price.

tinygnat219
October 5, 2008, 11:19 AM
Taurus: Any of their Revolvers, Auto pistols, or rifles. Junk Pure junk.

H&K: For various reasons including high-prices, spotty quality, and attitude.

NAA Mini-Revolvers: For uses other than plinking. Why people want a single action, small-triggered, 5 shot rimfire revolver as a self-defense weapon I will never understand.

loneviking
October 5, 2008, 12:17 PM
Quote:

Or anyone who wants to shoot wadcutters, wants to load their own without worrying about cycling the action, wants to shoot shot shells, or wants to be able to shoot more than one shot underwater.

Or wants to shoot a gun that truly has some power to it---like the .357, 44 spcl, 44 mag and 45 long Colt..etc.

Or doesn't want to have to learn the 'tap,rack, bang' drill because they want a gun that doesn't fail to feed, nor fail to eject but goes 'bang!' every time they pull the trigger.

Blofeld
October 5, 2008, 12:29 PM
Davis-Cobra-Raven pistols, had a Davis blow up on me.

Kel Tec P11, if you have to polish anything to make it work out of the box, re-think the purchase.

CoreyI35
October 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
I don't get the HK "because they hate me" references. What am I missing?

PotatoJudge
October 5, 2008, 01:38 PM
Corey:
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/hk-because-you-suck-and-we-hate-you/

Leif Runenritzer
October 5, 2008, 01:52 PM
Any rifle that fits the legal definition of a pistol.

Nor would i ever buy anything that profited Heckler and Cough. Assuming i were made of money, would i buy a PTR 91F? Yes, it's American-made. Would i buy a used HK91? Yes, it's discontinued. A used USP? No, because someone else will buy it, possibly instead of buying one new.

Rifleman 173
October 5, 2008, 02:25 PM
I will never again own another Ruger Mini-14 carbine in .223 caliber. Those things are just not stable enough for good accuracy. As you shoot them, the point of impact changes with every round as it gets warmer. There is no point of aim equals point of impact for long with one of them.

novaDAK
October 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
Anything Ruger. Awful history, fugly nasty guns. They may work, but so do the Hi-Points and the old P-series Rugers have the same blockiness, cheapness, and weight.
no sane person would ever put Hi-Point and Ruger on the same level. Hi-points can't compare to Rugers at all.

As for this thread, I'd have to say I'll never buy a Taurus or Rossi in the future ever again. I bought a Taurus revolver on a whim but then started reading the horror stories about their customer service. Sold the gun at a 50 dollar loss a week later. I don't have the time, patience, nor money to deal with their customer service if I ever needed it.

possum_128
October 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
Sig, CZ's, don't care for them, goods guns I know, just don't like them.

jahwarrior
October 5, 2008, 02:54 PM
i will never buy a Jennings, Jimenez, or Lorcin. i will never again buy a Cobra/Davis. i will never buy a Glock.

Shear_stress
October 5, 2008, 02:59 PM
I've found that a lot of my "never guns" lose that distinction the instant I find one for sale at a discount.

That said, there are lot of guns that I shy away from: plastic-framed pistols (a pistol with a frame that doesn't require machining and finishing shouldn't be sold at the same price as one that does), and 11.5" barrel rifles with 4.5" muzzle extensions (just pay for the tax stamp already!)

Gator
October 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
Norinco and Polytech.

Those are really the only ones I can think of that I wouldn't touch at any price, even if they were free. Anything else I'd at least try.

JR47
October 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'd have to add Kimber to that list. 1911.com has a love-hate relationship going on for Kimber. It seems that most of them need a trip back, but "they'll fix it." Like the P11, if it needs to be buffed before it's reliable, count me out.

anymanusa
October 5, 2008, 03:24 PM
why all the hate for Rugers? I have a P345 and I think it's pretty damn slick. Looks to be very well engineered, has bullet in chamber indicator, very comfortable to hold... etc. What's wrong with a Ruger?

On the op's question, Glocks. They are like Berkinstock sandals. They are designed for your hands (or feet in the case of the sandals) to conform to them, not for them to fit you. If that wasn't clear, let me just state: the rake angle on the handle of a Glock is horrible off. Point one in front of you and your wrist has to kink uncomfortably to hold it straight.

I also don't ever care to own any pump action, or lever action, or double barrel anything.

Are you off your meds (no offence intended)? This gun is beautiful, and handles very well too. I just don't see what all the hate is for Rugers.

http://guntalk.dbw.org/images/illustrations/ruger/rugerP345b.jpg

ljnowell
October 5, 2008, 03:42 PM
why all the hate for Rugers? I have a P345 and I think it's pretty damn slick. Looks to be very well engineered, has bullet in chamber indicator, very comfortable to hold... etc. What's wrong with a Ruger?

On the op's question, Glocks. They are like Berkinstock sandals. They are designed for your hands (or feet in the case of the sandals) to conform to them, not for them to fit you. If that wasn't clear, let me just state: the rake angle on the handle of a Glock is horrible off. Point one in front of you and your wrist has to kink uncomfortably to hold it straight.

I also don't ever care to own any pump action, or lever action, or double barrel anything.

Quote:

Are you off your meds (no offence intended)? This gun is beautiful, and handles very well too. I just don't see what all the hate is for Rugers.

oh the irony. You slam someone for not liking rugers, then bash glock because of your personal preferences. Thats funny.:neener:

anymanusa
October 5, 2008, 03:53 PM
oh the irony. You slam someone for not liking rugers, then bash glock because of your personal preferences. Thats funny.

I think you're making it something it isn't. I said Glocks are uncomfortable to hold without kinking your wrist Glocks--ugly, feel bad in my hand Glocks - Cant stand the way they feel in my had and I know a lot of people who say the same thing. What I don't know is why people on this thread say that they don't like Rugers. The Rugers were described as 'aweful nasty and bad history' ~paraphrased guns.

I'm asking for some real explanation of why the Ruger isn't right for some of these people. Not an 'I think it sucks' answer.:neener:

I read this on the other page, and it also made no sense to me whatsoever. Anyone care to dumb this down so I can understand it?

Engineers that don't understand the fundamental concept of tolerance stack are why.

tolerance stack are why??? WTH?

anymanusa
October 5, 2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/glock/glock_12892.jpghttp://guntalk.dbw.org/images/illustrations/ruger/rugerP345b.jpg

Look at the difference in rake angle. Granted you can find a Ruger with that same bad angle if you look hard enough, but I don't know if you can find a Glock with the good angle without incurring additional cost.

Sorry if this is off topic or on a tangeant, I'll stop now.

RustyShackelford
October 5, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'd avoid the following brands/models;
Kahr, Kel-Tec, High Point, Davis, Auto-Ord, Bersa, Daewoo, Ivry Johnson, Star, Patriot Arms.
I may think of a few more later on. ;)

Rusty S

3rd Generation American
October 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
Rossi
Any snuby over a .357cal

B yond
October 5, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm a proud Ruger p345 owner. I love it. Interestingly, the Bersa Thunder 380 has the exact same grip angle as the Ruger p345. They both point shoot the same.

As for Glock...

I like Glock. I have bigger hands so I like the thicker grip. I also like height of the slide being so minimal. They're fun to shoot, and they don't kink my wrist at all. The downside is the lack of a real safety. I know there are several passive safeties, but that's just not enough for me to be comfortable carrying it. A Glock is a service pistol, and I won't buy a service pistol without a manual safety unless it's a single-action only that can be kept hammer-down.

jcwit
October 5, 2008, 04:51 PM
Going over this listing its a wonder any of Mfg. stayes in business. Only ones I find missing are the custom guys, course they need the basic frame to start with. Wonder what the new guys start with? High priced custom?

Ala Dan
October 5, 2008, 04:54 PM
any Taurus products~! :barf:

N1150X
October 5, 2008, 05:13 PM
Almost anything in 5.7x28mm I find it to be a totally worthless cartridge (.223 type wounding except it only penitrates 3-4'') It truly is an answer searching for a problem. I say almost because I would buy a bolt-action varmit/target rifle in that cal.

rugerfreak
October 5, 2008, 05:21 PM
Just don't get why all the hate for certain action types.

A PROPERLY made SxS shotgun will be the sweetest handling gun you've ever touched. We ain't talkin Stoegers or Baikals here folks.

A pump shotgun is pretty much considered the ultimate HD weapon--affordable--reliable and effective.

My Marlin 336 and 39A are some of my most prized possesions.

I have most every action type out there except for a revolver--and there's a couple of those I want.

Why all the hate for some action types?

d906670
October 5, 2008, 07:41 PM
Any 25cal or any Springfield xd ( they have had mine for over 1 year for warranty work, cracked slide)

underwritingtech
October 5, 2008, 08:03 PM
Any Kimber in the Ultra line. My particular cross to bear has been an Ultra Raptor that has never worked right even after two trips back to Yonkers.

Hk91-762mm
October 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
WOwww!!
I cant beleave the guns some of you would never own -!!
I love Polytecks-Norincos -Great collectors items -The first to be banned -and all mine shoot well!
Glocks =I love my mdl 22 ,never fails and accurate !
Ruger -My Redhawk staineless is my carry gun when hunting --AND Bill Is dead and the family no longer owns the co-they will soon release HI-CAP mags again.
S+W same thing they forced out the exc. who signed with Billy boy Klinton.
If there was gun Id never buy Id say a Parazzi or Beretta O/U,,, good guns ,, But I dont need a $3-4,000 gun to break 24 in a row -My win -101 works fine ,,
toss in jennings anything-!

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 08:14 PM
Any ar based rifle. I think stoner and co are responsible for killing almost as many american servicemen as enemy combatants.

ZeSpectre
October 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
Another Taurus.
I'm in that club.

I'll also never buy a pistol bigger than a .357 Magnum or any high powered rifle with a steel butt plate.

Crystal River Charlie
October 5, 2008, 08:22 PM
Any handgun that is not Colt or S&W.

lloydkristmas
October 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
All of you who refuse to buy HK products because "they hate you" are really missing out. Every HK I've bought has cost less than a new Glock, and have run flawlessly. If you want to pass on a quality gun because you dont like their import policy then I guess its just more for me!

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
October 6, 2008, 12:25 AM
funny i love my hi-points they have been more reliable and never a problem even with more then 6Krounds without a cleaning.

compared to my Rossi 461 6shop .357 snubbie that broke the firing pin about about 200 rounds. and that only included 2 full power .357mag defence loads. the rest where factory .38 loads.

reminds me i still need to ship it out to get it fixed, been only about 5 months lol.

or kimber, seen WAY to many at the ranges FTF, FTE, FTL's. they are total garbage. i would rather have a rock island 1911

HGUNHNTR
October 6, 2008, 09:24 AM
Springfield XD's-ugly glock/sig/1911 abomination
any 1911-outdated design
Garands- big, heavy, clunky, low capacity, homely
Desert Eagles
Mosin Nagants-I don't need a POS just because its cheap.
Hi points
S&W Sigmas, actually any Smith other than the M&P
Stoeger anything

firemt04
October 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi-Point and Bryco/Jennings. Have had both and have had nothing but trouble out of them. If I cant trust my life with a gun I dont need it.

biggiesmalls
October 6, 2008, 02:34 PM
i would never buy a taurus. and if somebody gave me one for free i'd recycle it to be environmental friendly. and i don't even care about the environment much.

Deanimator
October 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
Any Hi Point handgun.
Any S&W revolver with a lock.
Any firearm marked "RG" or "Rohm Gesellschaft".

Deanimator
October 6, 2008, 03:11 PM
A pump shotgun is pretty much considered the ultimate HD weapon--affordable--reliable and effective.
Depending upon circumstances. Mine make one about as useful as a longbow or a cavalry lance, pretty much worthless.

ljnowell
October 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
Look at the difference in rake angle. Granted you can find a Ruger with that same bad angle if you look hard enough, but I don't know if you can find a Glock with the good angle without incurring additional cost.

The point I was making is that these are all objective opinions. Some people like the feel of a glock, some dont.

JImbothefiveth
October 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
Any Jennings, Lorcin, Davis

USMC - Retired
October 6, 2008, 03:37 PM
Anything with a polymer frame

dunnsguns
October 6, 2008, 04:39 PM
Glock nothing against the gun itself, but

1. Because of the the crowd that worships them (see punk kid behind every gun counter that has less range or field time than my 2 yr old daughters, but tells everyone that walks in the store that in his experience "the Glock is the best gun ever made."
2. they they are NOT expeptionally accurate or reliable regardless of the testimonies of they're congregation.
3. because they are the most uncomfortable handgun to shoot.

Welcome the onslaught. I do know there are those that use them and like them for good reason , but YOU ARE NOT THE MAJORITY

AK
See glock reason #1 only change the kid behind the counter to the know it all at the range (or roommate, or guy at work, guy at church etc.) with long hair and surplus army fatigues, that insist that he has put 100,000,000 rounds through his AK and "this is the first time it has ever misfired."

jkingrph
October 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
Anything made in China

I'll second that. It is also doubtful that I will buy a Glock, I just do not like the feel and looks. Also do not want any AK or SKS types.

John Wayne
October 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
A bolt-action shotgun--I just don't see the point.

A "safe queen" -- maybe, right before I resort to burning C-notes to heat the house. I think it's a shame that some fine guns like older Colts and Smiths don't see regular use. (This is not counting antique firearms which are not safe to fire).

A Nambu 14.

Another Taurus revolver--never had an issue with their auto pistols though.

Any gun in a caliber which has been around less than ten years.

SabbathWolf
October 7, 2008, 06:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/tec9.jpg

jhansman
October 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Oh, that's easy: Glock.

Glock owners are the Mac users of the gun world. Head-over-heels in love with an overrated product.

barry960
October 7, 2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't buy another Ramline 22 pistol, or the same pistol marked with 'Desert Eagle' on it. I liked the idea of a full 15 rnd capacity in a 22 target pistol, because hey, that was the standard capacity for most service auto pistols at the time of its conception, and such a small round...why not fit more into the grip? The thing was just too weakly made with too much plastic. I sent it back after it stopped working after maybe 100 rounds, and am sticking with my Browning Buckmark, although I could see adding additional 22 pistols to my collection some day.

Bubbles
October 7, 2008, 02:12 PM
Anything AAC.

Anything KAC.

Anything S&W.

Anything Robar.

Anything Ruger.

OOOXOOO
October 7, 2008, 02:16 PM
I will never buy a gun without serial numbers. Other than that it's all fair game.

Oh yeah, I wont buy a gun that requires a truck to move and a crew to operate (only because I don't have enough friends to help me hook it up and play with it).

BTW I have owned a couple Tec-9's they aint that bad, as long as you don't require accuracy or dependability out of your weapon.

SabbathWolf
October 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
Yep. If you tie a TEC-9 to a piece of rope and swing them like a morning star, you can really hurt people if ya have to.
:D

Radio
October 7, 2008, 07:58 PM
Anything made by Taurus.

Anything not in .45 :)

Defensory
October 7, 2008, 07:59 PM
The first three brands that come to mind:

Glock
Kel-Tec
Hi-Point

JaxNovice
October 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
I've found that a lot of my "never guns" lose that distinction the instant I find one for sale at a discount.

Man is that ever true. That is why I am the proud new owner of a PT1911.

I was never a big Glock fan and vowed never to get one. I have a bunch of high end pistols (Sigs, Hi Power maybe toss in a Kimber) but if push came to shove and I had to pull one gun from my safe to save my life it most likely would be my Glock. As ugly as it is and regardless of the fact it is polymer, the damn thing has never misfired on me and has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger.

moojpg2
October 7, 2008, 09:53 PM
I would buy any brand of gun for the right price.

doc2rn
October 7, 2008, 09:55 PM
One word, Taurus.

moooose102
October 8, 2008, 08:05 AM
boy, you guys are pretty scornful. i would take many, many of the guns you guys are slamming! not all, but lots of them! there are very few guns i would hate so much.

GRB
October 8, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm curious about just the opposite. What would you never actually purchase, except maybe to turn around and sell to some dumb sucker for a nice profit? I will never again by a RG.

As for buying something only to sell it to a sucker, I would never do that at all. That would be rather unethical.

jackstinson
October 8, 2008, 09:18 AM
I will never buy a gun without serial numbers.
Bummer.....that excludes some very fine old Mossberg rifles like my 42M(b) and 46M(b).

Me? I doubt I'd ever buy a Kimber....mostly because I am sick of reading about them on gunboards. Do you ever get so weary of reading the same drivel over and over that it completely turns you off a certain brand name? Not just guns, but most anything.

Vaarok
October 8, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have to agree on "I'd buy anything for the right price"- I've repeatedly bought things I loathe because they were cheap enough I bounced them for a couple hundred bucks profit.

Now, paying retail? I will never buy to own a modern AR, a CETME, an M1A, a remchester hunting rifle with a synthetic stock and no iron sights, a modern muzzleloader, Mini-14 or -30, or a new production .45-70 levergun.

subierex
October 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
Expensive firearms. Unfortunately, many/most are nowadays. Nothing against top quality firearms, but I think you can get good quality for lower prices.

Guns are tools. If my $350 handgun sends lead downrange the same as a $700 one, and does so reliably, why the more expensive one? Lots of other stuff to spend my cash on.

98 Joes
October 8, 2008, 04:10 PM
Anything by Hi-Point.

ronto
October 8, 2008, 04:52 PM
A semi-auto for self-defense.

KI.W.
October 8, 2008, 05:01 PM
Gun made for belted or rimmed case. Lever action- or black powder gun.

76shuvlinoff
October 8, 2008, 09:09 PM
For me it's bolt action rifles and 50 cal sidearms, not knocking any manufacturer I just don't like em.

I like to try everything else, not that I'd buy everything else.

frankcostanza
October 8, 2008, 09:55 PM
I've never been a fan of Glocks. I have nothing against them other than I dont like the look of them. Probably wouldnt buy a single shot break action rifle either. Again, nothing against them other than they just dont do much for me.

the foot
October 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
That would be an overpriced gun. I refuse to pay more than a gun is worth.

Crazy Fingers
October 8, 2008, 11:51 PM
1911s. Especially ridiculously expensive ones.

Empress Penguin
October 9, 2008, 12:55 AM
*Sigh*

I have a SW Sigma. It was my first gun, I bought it because it was affordable and I was only looking for something that would sit in my nightstand and be good for one shot if I needed it. I never intended to be a gun chick, at all.

Since then, after practicing, I've grown to love firing for fun and I now refer to my Sigma as my toy gun. As my first, it still has a special spot in my heart and I'll probably always keep it for that reason. It fires well, so long as I keep it fed with the one specific brand of ammo that it likes and clean it frequently.

I would never again purchase a plastic gun after playing around with my boyfriend's more substantial carry arm, and I would never tell anyone to purchase a Sigma. I had to learn my lesson the hard way, and would like any friends of mine who are looking to purchase to learn from my mistake.

Enginetech88
October 9, 2008, 02:53 PM
I guess Im just an over all gun nut and dont fit in here. I buy guns quite often. Some of very high quality and high dollar amounts. And others of no quality for a few bucks. Theres not a caliber, or brand that I would not buy. I wouldn't sell a single gun that I own unless it was worth a dollar and someone offered me a hundred for it. But thats not going to happen. lol I guess im an outsider.

rojocorsa
October 9, 2008, 03:31 PM
No S&W for me, especially M&Ps

No pink barbie AR 15 either.

No desert eagle, you do not need a pistol with rifle components.

Nothing from Norinco...

f4t9r
October 9, 2008, 03:36 PM
Glock

Boxing Buffalo
October 9, 2008, 04:41 PM
I understand not liking a Glock for the way it fits in your hand or if you simply don't like firing it. But to call it "a cheap plastic kids toy" is ridiculous. That cheap plastic kids toy is reliable. Period.

Will never buy:

Any Taurus
Any Tec-9 (saw one misfire just a couple weeks ago, went into full auto once, misfired twice.)
Desert Eagle
any handgun bigger than a .45

The Taurus because it has a reputation for being junk.

The Tec 9 because they're just plain unreliable.

The Desert Eagle because I think it's overpriced and not as reliable as I'd like

And a bigger gun than a .45? Just don't care. I own a five seven. I don't need any more oddball ammo thanks! :)

navajo
October 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
Anything, except the SAA, that say Colt on it.

MarcusWendt
October 9, 2008, 04:46 PM
Pretty much any Glock

MarcusWendt
October 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
Anything made by SIG Arms.
My Sig P220 ST is the most expensive unreliable, inaccurate, piece of crap ever made.
Their customer service is the worst in the industry.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cat9x
October 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
anything Hi-Point

springmom
October 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
You mentioned one: the Desert Eagle. I do not for the life of me get what the attraction is there. The other: a Glock. I think XD's are better, on the whole, and so if I get a "Tupperware pistol" it's going to be an XD.

Springmom

LiquidTension
October 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
Another Kimber. I tried for years to love my Pro Carry. Now it's been to the factory three times, they blamed me for the malfunctions every time, and it STILL doesn't run right.

Never again.

October 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
Big sigh, any of those guns you would not buy just let me know the next time you run across a bargain. Although I do not have a Glock I would even buy one if the price is right. Every maker has made some "lemons" but to claim them all as junk is just unfair. wc

ArmedBear
October 9, 2008, 05:11 PM
10/22

LiquidTension
October 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah, and the Marlin 60. I've had three. None of them have been even remotely reliable. It's been over a decade since any of them have run through 10 consecutive rounds without jamming. Clean, dirty, new ejection system, old system - doesn't matter. Never again.

Black Majik
October 9, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Point
Jenning
Llama
Ravens
Ruger semi-autos
Rossi
Charter Arms
S&W Sigma
Para Ordnance LDA
Current S&W Revolvers with frame locks
HK MK23
DE .357magnum
NAA rimfire derringers
Current model Walther P99s
S&W PPK or PPK/s
Keltec SU-16
Keltec .380, 9mm
Glock 31/32/33
Glock 37/38
Single shot break open shotgun or rifle

dunnsguns
October 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
Just to preface my former statement regarding Glocks and AKs I would not pay retail or anywhere close to it, but I have never turned down a "Smokin' " deal even if it was to just turn around and sell or trade up.

3pairs12
October 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Any HK

hemiram
October 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
We all have our hates and loves, don't we?

I would never actually buy anything like:

1911's-Overpriced, and not comfortable to me at all.
Any polymer gun. I like metal, steel if possible.
AMT-horrible in so many ways.
FTL
Any small .22 Semiauto (had a couple, that was enough)
Ruger Semiautos (Ugly and cheap feeling)
Any S&W with a hole in the side that shouldn't be there.
LLAMA
Colt Semiautos, period, two were enough.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
Any nickel-plated gun.
Any .25 automatic (you might as well have a powerful pellet gun).
Most used guns -- mainly because I seem to have bad luck purchasing ANYTHING that is USED!
It seems that I always end up with the person-before-me's problems!:scrutiny:

varoadking
October 12, 2008, 08:44 PM
glocks just hate them,

Why...

JT in VA
October 12, 2008, 08:46 PM
Taurus Judge.

Just too ugly. Looks like a flare gun.

DeathByCactus
October 12, 2008, 09:14 PM
Para Ordinance... Never going to buy another one of those.

Taurus
Sig (don't like how it holds)
Glock (same)

Anything that is not a 1911... unless it has the 1911/1991 handle angle/balance.

match308
October 12, 2008, 09:19 PM
Anything I wouldn't trust with my life.

4thHorseman
October 12, 2008, 09:21 PM
What would you never actually purchase, except maybe to turn around and sell to some dumb sucker for a nice profit?
I would like to think I am of better character than to intentionally buying something that was junk to me, and then to trick someone else into buying it so I could make a profit.

danmoultrie
October 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
anything chambered for .357sig. I have no use for this cartridge.

Taurus, jennings, jiminez

Not to sound like a broken record, but I dont like glocks. They are not comfortable to shoot and I have not found them reliable at all.

1911's of any race, creed or color

Ruger after reading about the "Ruger letter"

Give me any Kahr or Beretta.

Big Daddy Grim
October 12, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hi-point and hide away .22-.25autos pointless

Gunsby_Blazen
October 12, 2008, 10:50 PM
Everyione hates Norinco around here.....
I probally woudlnt get one of those H&R single shot rifles. they dont seem to have enough where i want it in the accuracy department. A Taurus Gaucho revolver, because there are better alternatives. A Ruger lever action rifle because of the same reason I gave for the Taurus. An HK handgun that costs 2k, that just seems silly to me. I might spend that, some day, on a shotgun, fancy pants rifle, or a custom 1911, but not a stock handgun that isn't a collectors piece.
hmm, I am sure that I can think of some more, I just dont want to right now.

But, Norinco makes some good AK rifles, from what I have been told

Legionnaire
October 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
Interesting (and wierd) thread. Shows that we all have personal likes and dislikes for a wide variety of reasons. But I can note some I'd never buy:

Rohrbaugh
S&W revolvers with locks
Remington 710 or 770

The_Shootist
October 12, 2008, 11:08 PM
..THUNDER! Gun went south on me after 400 rounds. Bought a Mak to replace it and never looked back.

For all the Glock/Ruger/Ak bashers out there...well...on my recent Hurricane Ike evac guess which 3 firearms came with me with my other few possessions/

Uh huh.

My Glock 19, my SP 101 and my WASR10. Its fun to be an arm chair commando, but when your hide could be on the line, you take guns with you you know will go BANG! everytime. Not because of how they look, or feel or what others say. If I had had more room i'd have thrown in my Taurus M85 as well, a .38 snub that I trust more tha my 642.

Academic discussions like these are nice in the comfort of the Internet. Its just too bad practicality can sometimes intervene when facing the unknown.

rojocorsa
October 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
I did notice Rugers did get bashed a lot on this thread, why? Are they not good?

russcoh
October 12, 2008, 11:44 PM
HiPoint, anything Taurus... Keltec...

The Bushmaster
October 12, 2008, 11:44 PM
Glock

evan price
October 13, 2008, 01:15 AM
Anything chambered in .357 SIG, .40 S&W...

If I can't carry a .45 acp, I'll carry a 9mm+P, thanks.

Desert Eagles.

.327 Magnum- WHY???

Hacker & Kock: Overpriced, Overhyped, oversized, gritty triggers.

BERETTA 92 or any of the knockoffs- open slides just leave me cold.

Anything pimped up, blinged out, or advertised as "TACTICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anything found on a mall ninja.

Rifles with odd calibers named after somebody- .396 Humboldt, .431 Chavez, .265 Zimmerman, .404 Error, whatever the oddball wildcat, who needs 'em.

Guns that are so expensive you can't afford to drop them in the mud and pee them clean.

rockinrussky
October 13, 2008, 01:23 AM
-Any single stack auto loading pistol (other than a 1911.)
I've got gorilla hands that make it awkward to hold and shoot anything small (like a Makarov, bersa, most walthers). It just feels like I'm holding a small but loud toy.
-any snub nose revolvers (same reasons as above)

On the other hand full-frame Glocks always felt great in my hand. I'd love to meet Gaston Glock and shake his hand, if for no reason other than to see if his hand is built just like mine (which would appearently have to be out of the ordinary)

Pure Kustom
October 13, 2008, 01:27 AM
Anything plastic..........

North of 49th
October 13, 2008, 02:17 AM
Anything made in china.... and guns that look like jewelry stores :mad: guns are tools!!

What’s with all the Glock hate? I have one and it has never malfunctioned. Personally I don't find them uncomfortable at all.

Legionnaire
October 13, 2008, 08:46 AM
I did notice Rugers did get bashed a lot on this thread, why? Are they not good?Personal taste, mostly. I wouldn't buy a Ruger semi-auto; I think they are too big and clunky. They work, though. On the other hand, I'm a fan of Ruger revolvers ...

That's why I said this is a wierd thread. It says more about the tastes of the posters (including me) than it does about the quality of the firearms we won't buy.

gentleman987
October 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
A hi point carbine i shot one and it was shooting 15 inch groups at 100 yards off the bench and they feel horrible

MMCSRET
October 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
Glock, glock.glock.glock.glock. how many models are there? Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackbeard
October 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
Anything that's not a Glock.

(my jab to the Glock haters)

MMCSRET
October 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
I don't hate anything or anyone. Hate takes up too much time and effort, sort of like wrestling a pig. I simply avoid the aggritation and irrivation. The ? was: which would I not purchase, not , which did I hate. If I was given one or got a super deal on one I would use it to my benefit and trade up to a Highpoint or Raven or Jennings or some such.

Baneblade
October 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
I will have to give another vote for the Desert Eagle. An employee at the Scottsdale Gun Club offered to let me shoot one, but before shooting he made sure I had a hat to wear. I think 5 of the 7 ejected casings hit me in the head. Oh yeah, and it weighed more than my M-16 :neener:

I regret to say that I will avoid purchasing a Colt until they begin offering a real warranty and some semblance of customer service. Once they do, I will become a customer again.

HI-point. I bought one to try it out. I tried it. I sold it. However, I do think they are priced appropriately.

ogree
October 13, 2008, 11:25 PM
anything that say "HK" on it.

Taurus 66
October 13, 2008, 11:49 PM
Number 1. I absolutely despise that garbage called "AK-47", however, I am open to other Russian made guns.

Number 2. Any gun produced in China or any third world country.

Number 3. Derringers. I'd rather have a mini revolver or subcompact semiauto in place of a derringer.

Number 4. Muzzle loading rifles or black powder pistols. What's the point anymore when technology has given us smokeless powder in brass cartridges with nifty little built in primers? It doesn't make sense to use anything else.

I'm not going to give manufacturer names because not every gun within a company, nor are all guns within a particular model of a given company name of poor quality. I did experience serious problems with my T model 66, but kept it, and the pistol has since given me flawless performance. Now really I enjoy shooting this pistol.

Number 3.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
ANY Ruger (except I admit I would break down and buy a used No. 1 International if found at a price less than half what I could easily re-sell it for).

ANY Hi-Point (functional but far, far too ugly to own)

ANY junk gun (Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Raven)

ANY plastic-stocked rifle.

ANY new-ish S&W revolver with a lock on it.

ANY Glock

S&W "I-Bolt" rifle

Number 4. Muzzle loading rifles or black powder pistols. What's the point anymore when technology has given us smokeless powder in brass cartridges with nifty little built in primers? It doesn't make sense to use anything else.

The point is, that this is the ONLY type of gun you can use during the specific muzzleloader/traditional hunting seasons.

TCB in TN
October 14, 2008, 01:05 AM
I don't have a whole lot of NEVER buys. If it is a good deal, and I can use it to trade for something I like then I will buy any of it. Now for my own personal use, it is a different story.

I have never shot a Glock that I liked. They don't fit my hands, and I HATE the triggers.

Loricin, Phoenix, etc. are to low quality to bother with.

Not a big fan of the big supermags. I can shoot your .338 etc. The recoil doesn't bother me, but at 2x's the money I will stick with my ole 30-06 and .308 unless I go to Alaska or Africa. (Same with your 454 and 500S&W handguns).

Tec 9, Uzi, etc just don't hold an appeal to me, so those are out too.

Not a huge AR guy, they are nice, shoot good, but for what I want to do with most of my guns they are overpriced. (sold my Colt years ago) But that could change, if I find a deal on another one. Bang for the buck they just don't flip my switch.

I happen to like guns, bolt guns, lever guns, semi, revolver, pump, single shot etc. My main concern is getting a good value for my money. Lots of NICE guns I am never buying, unless I get a real deal then I will likely change my mind. BTW I like Rugers, they tend to give you a very good value, Marlin's are a great buy, Remmington, Mossberg, Savage, Stevens, heck my old Taurus P92 has got more rounds through it than many people ever shoot in their life, and it keeps on a keeping on. Just want to get my money's worth. Ugly don't bother me so much if it works well for the $$$$.

Elm Creek Smith
October 14, 2008, 01:54 AM
I'll never buy a Korth!

Not big on any .25 ACP even though the Beretta 950S I had was reliable and accurate.

"Pot metal" guns.

That's about it.

ECS

Golden Hound
October 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
What is a Korth? I've never even heard of that!

Gunsby_Blazen
October 14, 2008, 02:05 AM
I second that...
here here
what is a Korth???

lloydkristmas
October 14, 2008, 02:17 AM
^^^fancy schmancy German revolver, I believe. Nice, but way expensive for what you get.

jakk280rem
October 14, 2008, 02:20 AM
http://www.korthusa.com/aboutus_en.htm

google is you friend.

Gunsby_Blazen
October 14, 2008, 02:22 AM
I see, I would rather have a Smith or a Ruger. good American guns.

Golden Hound
October 14, 2008, 02:42 AM
Well, I sure as hell would buy a Korth if I could afford it, but I would have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to drop that kind of money on a gun and not have it make a big dent in my money. As it is, even if I had that kind of cash specifically set aside just for buying guns, (like if I got some kind of hypothetical nine thousand dollar gun-only gift certificate,) there are lots of things I'd rather have.

My "never buy" guns as in, would never buy them even if money was no object:

Glocks, simply because I hate the way they look.

Any rifle covered with rails all over - I hate the way rails look, and if a gun has to have them, I can only tolerate one single rail on top of the receiver. But in general I dislike them. If, for instance, if I were to get an AR, I would get one with a carrying handle and no rail at all.

Hi-Point guns because I can't stand the way they look. (Do they NEED to look so ugly in order to be functional? Do they literally have someone over there trying to create ugly designs?)

Tec-9 or Mac-10 - Don't like how they look.

Ruger - after reading about Ruger's ideology, I wouldn't want to support them.

Synthetic stocks - I would never buy any gun with a synthetic stock if a wood stock were not also available for that same gun.

(Is there any wood-worker here who might be able to make for me a wooden version of the HK91 wide forend? Send me a PM and quote me a price. I would like to have one, but they aren't made.) In other words I want it to look like this photo-shop image I created:

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/akentisa/Filemanager_Public_Files/g333.jpg

lefteyedom
October 14, 2008, 04:10 AM
I would never by a F-102, when for the same mony you can get a F106
F-14 So over rated!
F101 voodoo (too ugly)
Any French fighter.
Any Chinese fighter
Any fighter built by a car company

Golden Hound
October 14, 2008, 04:29 AM
Is it a tough job, being the Secretary of Defense?

TAB
October 14, 2008, 01:14 PM
glock
ruger

only thing that comes to mind.

mljdeckard
October 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
Sigma. (From experience)
Not a fan of any pocket guns.
Ruger centerfire autos.
Vulcan/Hesse
I don't see any reason to ever pick up a Tec-9.
Any gun so expensive I would rather baby it than shoot it. (I might change my mind when I'm rich.)

tribbles
October 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Any Lorcin/Davis/Cobra derringer. The .22WMR I had was more accurate when thrown.

Any centerfire automatic pistol smaller than a 9mm.

Glock. For me, the ergonomics suck. I keep shifting my hand around, trying to find a grip that's at least somewhat comfortable.

Any sporterized mil-surp Mauser. Most of them look like crap, and nowadays a Remchester that will shoot twice as good out-of-the-box is a lot less expensive.

Bolt-action guns with synthetic stocks.

Ruger 10/22, mostly due to its annoying fans who claim, 'It's a great gun, once you replace everything except the receiver...'

But, of course, "to each his own".

heavyshooter
October 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
I have a few:

Berreta Tomcat 3032 - Because of the cracked frame drama
Anything made by Glock - Because of the grip angle
Anything made by Taurus - Because it is a Taurus
Anything made in China - 'Nuff said

Heavy

cicguy
October 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
Any Glock or Glock type. I hate that polymer crap.

For God and Country,

CICGUY

English Bob
October 15, 2008, 04:14 AM
Glock

Ruger (Handguns not Rifles)

Taurus

Darne

Pietta

Fetus
October 15, 2008, 06:04 AM
springfield XD :barf:

MikeKeyW
October 15, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rg
Fie

longdayjake
October 15, 2008, 11:51 PM
anything overpriced.

phantomak47
October 15, 2008, 11:52 PM
Easy , Smith and Wesson lock guns. Until the lock is gone, I will never buy one.

qajaq59
October 16, 2008, 08:16 AM
Any rifle that is semi-auto.

Legionnaire
October 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
You know, I was skeptical when I first posted to this thread, but I'm really enjoying it at this point!! Great way to let people vent about guns they dislike. Don't really need any explanation other than, "I don't like it!" And we've come this far without anyone seriously taking offense that someone doesn't like a gun that he or she really likes! Pretty cool!

For example, it's interesting to see how many would "never buy" a Glock, knowing how generally popular Glocks are. Interesting to see those who would "never buy" a gun made in China, knowing that among 1911 afficianados (sp?), Norincos are thought to be great guns for the money.

Very interesting thus far; I'm enjoying it!

North of 49th
October 16, 2008, 03:07 PM
it's interesting to see how many would "never buy" a Glock

I know what you mean. I has gotten to a point were I am almost shocked so many people dislike Glocks. Although I must give them this, owning a gun made mostly of plastic is not for everyone. But as a Glock owner myself I must say that they are exceptionally simple and functional guns. Just my opinion though.

As to the guns made in china I think it is largely an ideology thing. Having said that most of the guns that had “made in china” stamped on them were of poorer quality than most guns made almost anywhere else.

yhtomit
October 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
- Anything in an exotic caliber
- Anything frou-frou carved or otherwise decorated (if I want a decorated gun, I want the engravings etc. to be things I've chosen for reasons of my own)
- Anything I'd regret actually being able to fire because it would hurt some sort of "historical" value.

timothy

Gunsby_Blazen
October 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
if I say that I am never going to buy a glock, it will probably increase the chances of me buying one....
so I wont say it....

MacDuff
October 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
Taurus. Never again!

jdub42
December 20, 2008, 06:25 PM
I am new here and am now pretty much red eyed reading here. I am going to revive this old thread with my own info.

Avoid:

Bond Arms derringer 45LC/.410! 50lb trigger pull, sent it back, came back with a 50lb trigger pull.

DPMS! Bought a Panther Lite 16. Severely canted FSB, sent it back, came back with new pins and a "still" severely canted FSB. Chamber is not cut to 5.56 spec, when I explain this to customer service I get repremanded for my poor choice of ammunition.:rolleyes:

lance daugherty
December 20, 2008, 06:36 PM
Wish someone would of slap me for buying mine. No one who has one has ever said a good thing about them!

lance daugherty
December 20, 2008, 06:39 PM
Wish someone would of slap me for buying mine. No one who has one has ever said a good thing about them! And why do people buy or make jennings

jdub42
December 20, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have a 270 that came with the Walker Fire Controle System "standard in the 700 for a while," which was responsible for a death or two. These rifles had a deffective fire control group that could actually cause the rifle to fire when you take it off safety. The rifle put a hole in my ceiling and one downrange and cased my friend to nearly crap his pants. Couple of years ago I decided to research the firearms history. Turns out Remington has had a quiet recall for repair on these rifles for a "while."

Link to the info:http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aacbsnewsrem700_2.htm

Enos Presley
December 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
AR/AK, just don't like 'em. Put 'em together and you get arak, which is Lebanese ouzo:barf:

Beretta 92, from experience

Glock, from experience

Heck, autoloaders in general. Never owned one that I consider reliable, and I'm pretty fastidious about cleaning my guns and don't buy junk.

Taurus

RG (inherited)

Near anything Communist-Bloc. Clunky, clanky, junky, funky. And I hate scraping all that :cuss: cosmoline off.

Agree about "macho" pistol calibers, too, even though I am quite fond of big-bore muzzleloading pistols.

I also avoid 1911s. Just a personal preference as I could never get the hang of decocking one and the grip safety (although the one on my Lemon Squeezer is not a problem).

fireman 9731
December 21, 2008, 12:16 AM
I would never buy a shotgun in a gauge other than 12 or .410

dbarile
December 21, 2008, 12:18 AM
Any derringer
Hi-Point Carbine (don't like the looks, call me superficial)
Any revolver in chambers above 44 Mag\45 LC

Golden Hound
December 21, 2008, 12:22 AM
I don't know why on earth Hi-Point made their carbine so insanely ugly. It's not even like ugly out of pure functionality or crudeness, the way a Sten gun or something is - the weird, humped and curved shape of it, which is totally unnecessary to the gun's function, means that they actually went out of their way to make it look like that. Which baffles me to no end. Would it have killed them to just stick to a basic, straight-line design? Like the Sub-2000?

MikePGS
December 21, 2008, 12:36 AM
Taurus.

Golden Hound
December 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
I keep hearing this about Taurus - are they really that bad? Some people seem to think they're really excellent. But I also hear about poor quality-control. What is the story?

Cuda
December 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
Any gun used against an American in war.

C

goon
December 21, 2008, 12:53 AM
Anything with an internal lock.

John828
December 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
I don't know why on earth Hi-Point made their carbine so insanely ugly. It's not even like ugly out of pure functionality or crudeness, the way a Sten gun or something is - the weird, humped and curved shape of it, which is totally unnecessary to the gun's function, means that they actually went out of their way to make it look like that. Which baffles me to no end. Would it have killed them to just stick to a basic, straight-line design? Like the Sub-2000?

funny, real funny

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 21, 2008, 01:06 AM
Glock; I will never buy a glock.

mongo4567
December 21, 2008, 01:21 AM
Raven, Tec9, RG, and Hi-point come to mind

paintballdude902
December 21, 2008, 01:30 AM
anything gold plated

MikePGS
December 21, 2008, 01:36 AM
I keep hearing this about Taurus - are they really that bad? Some people seem to think they're really excellent. But I also hear about poor quality-control. What is the story?
They just had an awful reputation at one point, and there are still enough (IMHO) random reports of things going awry that I'm going to steer clear of them for awhile at least.

MikePGS
December 21, 2008, 01:38 AM
They just had an awful reputation at one point, and there are still enough (IMHO) random reports of things going awry that I'm going to steer clear of them for awhile at least.

Gun Slinger
December 21, 2008, 01:41 AM
What's your "never buy" gun?

1. XD
2. Any S&W
3. Any Taurus

Golden Hound
December 21, 2008, 01:55 AM

Doesn't this mentality kind of reinforce the idea that something can be "the gun's fault" and not the fault of whoever is using it? I mean, I don't think that any gun just takes on evil qualities because of its operators. I'm willing to bet that captured M16s and M14s were used against American troops by the Viet Cong - surely you wouldn't disqualify them just for that?

WardenWolf
December 21, 2008, 02:24 AM

So you're saying you cannot learn from and respect your enemies? While there is no respecting terrorists, there is no point in disrespecting common soldiers even if they serve a nation that is opposed to your own. They're all fighting for the same things you are.

What did I learn from my early-production Arisaka 99 (recovered on Okinawa in 1945 by my grandfather)? I learned the Japanese built a fine rifle with many innovative features. As a bolt action, there is nothing wrong with it, and I would certainly trust my life to it. It was simply outclassed by the M1 Garand, however.

What did I learn from my 1943 Mosin Nagant M91/30? I learned the Russians could also make a fine gun, and that Russian guns are freaking brutal. Given that the average size of a Russian soldier was a bit smaller than an American at the time, the thought of them carrying and repeatedly firing this massive rifle that kicks hard is worthy of my respect. I wouldn't want to use it as-built, and put a recoil pad on it.

What wouldn't I own?

AR-15, unless it's one with a piston upper. Its only feature you cannot replicate on a more reliable, less expensive semi-automatic firearm is its extreme accuracy. Then again, this also varies depending on the quality of the individual upper, anywhere from dime-sized to 2 MOA, and 2 MOA is where Saigas sit. It's just too much money for a problematic platform, particularly when other cheaper, more reliable semi's are good enough to fill its role. They're accurate enough out to the effective range of the round.

Glocks. I'm just not a fan.

Any gun in 9mm. I don't believe in 9mm. It just doesn't have the stopping power of .45 and .40.

Golden Hound
December 21, 2008, 02:35 AM
I don't think of the Mosin Nagant as an "anti-American" gun in any case. Just because it was invented by the Russians doesn't mean it was used against us. On the contrary, it was used to HELP us beat the Germans in World War II.

WardenWolf
December 21, 2008, 02:36 AM
Although it was used against us in Korea and Vietnam.

Doc_Jude
December 21, 2008, 07:08 AM
Never Buy Gun? An AR/M4/M16. There are much better guns for the money, IMO. Plus, using a varmint round for combat is just a joke

Also, these gold-plated Desert Eagles (or any Desert Eagle) & these too-pretty-to-shoot vault queens. If I'm going to invest, I'll just by gold or silver, why buy a gold-plated gun I'll never shoot??? I just can't justify these kinds of purchases. I guess I'm too function and not enough fashion.

And I'll never buy any of these James Purdey & Sons sXs shotguns. 100k is too much for a friggin' antique-style gun.

I don't get the "Taurus" comments that are based on "I've heard this & that about them". My 605 in .357 had some problems initially, something with the ejector rod jamming open when depressed & the cylinder wouldn't turn, thus I will agree with the "fit & finish" comments. However, we sent it back to Taurus and I had it back in a couple weeks, running right and I've put over 1K rounds through it w/o problem, .38+P and .357. For Taurus, if you get it checked out by a good gunsmith, you'll probably find that once you work out the kinks (if there are any), you'll get a great gun for the money. Still cheaper than a S&W. Taurus guns aren't at the top of my list, but when I wanted a little snub, and the 605 popped up, I bought it, worked out the kinks, & now I really enjoy it.

Oh, & I'll never buy a Ruger SP101....

in .327 Fed! HA! Fooled You...

ericyp
December 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
Ha, honestly, it would be a 1911. I don't have any use for one but they seem popular. I'd buy it if I found a killer deal and resell quick.

chuckusaret
December 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
Ruger LCP

isitdeadyet
December 21, 2008, 09:24 AM
Any lever action. not a fan of the cowboy era weapons at all.

Golden Hound
December 21, 2008, 09:31 AM
Given that the average size of a Russian soldier was a bit smaller than an American at the time, the thought of them carrying and repeatedly firing this massive rifle that kicks hard is worthy of my respect. I wouldn't want to use it as-built, and put a recoil pad on it.

Remember, the Russians are a cold-weather people, and those soldiers, who did most of their fighting during the winter in frigid areas, would have been wearing extremely thick woolen overcoats, in addition to several other layers of clothing and long underwear underneath it. That would have absorbed a great deal of the recoil.

pith43
December 21, 2008, 09:32 AM
Any: Bryco
Hi Point
Taurus

Anything Plastic

FoMoGo
December 21, 2008, 09:46 AM
And gun that doesnt fit me.
All mfgrs can make a turd, I prefer to judge most guns on a case by case basis.
That being said, I refuse to buy any of the throwaway guns... bryco, raven, jennings, rg, etc.

Jim

Spieler
December 21, 2008, 09:52 AM
Taurus
S&W Autos
Ruger Autos

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "never buy" gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!