October 2008 Rimfire Match

PDA

JustsayMo
October 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
Eligible Rifles
-ANY caliber rimfire firearm, including 22 WMR and 17 cal. Edit:You may enter a target for as many firearms as you would like, including handguns

Sights: Any sights are allowed. There are separate divisions for scoped rifles and iron sighted rifles.

Target: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/2%20inch%20circles%20on%20grid.pdf

Range: 25 yards for Iron sights Rifles
50 yards for Scoped Rifles
25 yards for Scoped Handguns
25 feet for iron sighted Handguns

Position- anyway you want, from Benched to Horseback and anything in between.

Shots: 5 shots per Bullseye (25 total)

Scoring: 1 point for each shot touching or in the back. 5 points for each shot completely inside the white center circle. 5 points for each shot that can be completely covered by a quarter. A perfect score would be 50 for each bull.

example: three shots clearly in the white and two on the black =17 + three (any) holes completely covered by a quarter for 15 more points = 32 points.

Post your results;
Name
Rifle
Sighting system
Distance(25 yards for irons, 50 yards for scopes)
Position
Score (Count all 5 bulls)

Some did not enter the last match because the weren't able to upload pictures. Pictures are NOT required. This is "The High Road" and everyone here is an honest person right? Pictures are good and if you do shoot a 250 we'll all want to see it so you can snail mail it to me and I'll post it for you.

Post scores by November 2, 2008 which is the official end of the match

Have fun, be safe!

If you enjoyed reading about "October 2008 Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coal Dragger
October 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
This one should be fun too, looking forward to shooting it.

Schleprok62
October 4, 2008, 03:46 PM
Oh hell... Not this target again!!!! LOL... I remember quite a few of us had a hard time with this one...

oh well... I'm gonna try to get out for this one... semi scoped and bolt irons...

Coal Dragger
October 4, 2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I shot this target this evening with both Eley Tenex and Lapua Midas. The Lapua was more consistent in my Kimber, but then again I turned the scope down to 6X when I shot the Lapua and that seemed to help with the focus. On 8X at 50 yds the Leupold will not clearly put the cross hairs on the same optical plane as the target. I may run some more Tenex on this again at 6X. Anyway it's a moot point because both ammo's shot perfect 250pt targets from prone with a sling.

So my entry for bolt action scoped 50 yard, shot from prone with a Kimber Model 82 Govt' mounting a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36.

250 total points out of 250 total points possible. All shots in the center white ring, all covered (easily) by a quarter.

Coal Dragger
October 4, 2008, 10:10 PM
I then shot this same target at 25 yds with the aperture sights that originally came with the rifle. By this time I was out of Lapua Midas, and Eley Tenex so CCI Green Tag got the nod. This was fired from prone with a sling again.

250 points possible, 250 points scored. All easily covered with a quarter and in the white circle. This target is easier to shoot with aperture sights than with a scope in my opinion. These shots were fired nearly as fast as I could load and reacquire the target. Lots of fun!

P.S. Forgive the top right target, I was using a box to hold loose ammo in and I lost count and shot the top right either six or seven times. Either way they are all in the top scoring ring so can we just count five of them?:scrutiny:

HeadlandRam
October 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
Can you shoot multiple rifles for scoring or just one gun? Is a rimfire pistol allowed or no?

HR

Coal Dragger
October 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
I don't see why you couldn't use more than one rimfire on this course.

I just used the same rifle, because I only own one .22 rifle. I have both a scope and aperture sights for it, so that is what I used.

You'll have to ask JustSayMo about rimfire pistols, as they are not mentioned. Although I have a pistol I would be happy to run if possible.

JustsayMo
October 4, 2008, 11:03 PM
HR, yes. Enter as many rimfire firearms as you would like. We give separate recognition for Bolts, autos, pumps, levers singleshots and handguns

Looks like CoalDragger set the bar way high right out of the gate. WOW! We may need to move you out to 100 yards! That is some fine shooting! I had considered giving a bonus for field positions but that would have made your score off the charts! WELL DONE!!!

To everyone else, don't feel like you need to be perfect to enter. I'd be happy with half of Coal Dragger's score. The whole point is to get us shooting and sharing in the fun. Heck, you might even learn something too!

Coal Dragger
October 4, 2008, 11:28 PM
I don't have a bench rest available to me, and the place I have to shoot is so overgrown with grass that I have to shoot prone from the bed of my pick-up. Oh well, honestly I probably shoot better prone than I do off of a bench rest anyway. I just practice it so much more I am comfortable with it.

For those shooting this target, especially with a scope make sure to not use too much magnification unless you have an adjustable objective. If I ran too much magnification I couldn't get my cross hairs to focus, and it seemed like I was dealing with some parallax issues.

Also there is a big difference in ammo consistency, use match ammo if you can find it. Good luck, I know someone will post tighter groups!

JustsayMo
October 4, 2008, 11:55 PM
Handgun distances added to original post

Coal Dragger
October 5, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'll have to shoot my Benelli MP-95 for this. Too bad I don't have any optics for it to do both. Oh well.

JustsayMo
October 5, 2008, 03:12 PM
Just picked up an Older Ruger Single Six from an estate sale, unconverted. I printed up a target and gave her a go.

Justsaymo
6-1/2" Ruger Single Six (Three Screw)
Factory Sights
25'
Offhand first three, then rested two on a stool

Coal Dragger
October 5, 2008, 03:24 PM
I grew up on a new model Single Six. I love those little revolvers.

JustsayMo
October 5, 2008, 05:44 PM
Had so much fun shooting the "new" single six I had to get another out and post an entry.

Justsaymo
4-5/8 Ruger Single Six
Factory Sights
25'
Sitting

Coal Dragger
October 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
This thread needs a sticky, otherwise it gets lost.

4of6
October 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
Greetings Everyone!
First time post here. I was at the range yesterday when one of my buddies handed me this target and said "fire away". I enjoyed it quite a bit though it is a bity little donut at 50 yds.

4of6
Remington 541X
Lyman 90MJT rear Lyman 20MJT front
50yds
prone

I'm not sure I got the score worked right. I used CMP AGSVGE419 (Aguila GE Target) ammo.
Like I said, I enjoyed this. I expect I'll try this again this Sunday with my "bity little donut" rifle.

Schleprok62
October 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm gonna go have a go at this target with the Remington Model Five this afternoon... might take the 597 also... will be using remington target SV and Rem and Federal bulk HVHP...

plinky
October 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit though it is a bity little donut at 50 yds.

It sure is. The good news is, iron sighted rifles can shoot at 25yd. Unless you just like the challenge.

I shot one last night (at 25yd) but pulled a couple of shots out of the bull. Must be bad ammo. :D I'll keep trying.

xringonly
October 6, 2008, 08:19 PM
Here's my first go at this one, will try more targets/guns/positions later.

xringonly
Kimber 82 gov. (stock so far)
BSA platinum 24x
50 yds
bench, rock rest, rear bag
70*, cloudy, occasional showers
I think its a 250?

xringonly
October 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
Blonde #1 just had a go at it. I told her it looked like the same as my score from the bench, she tried to shoot the last bull an xtra shot so she could score 255.

Blonde #1
Kimber 82 gov.
BSA platinum 24x
50 yds
bench
Wet & dusky

Ill get blonde #3 behind a rifle first chance that Im not bowhunting.

ShakyJake
October 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi All
Well I may have to put the Skinner back on the M39 for this one. Have to stretch my local range to get 25yd. The 50yd is about 20mi away and is not easy to frequent but will try. Fun time for all.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

Coal Dragger
October 8, 2008, 01:38 AM
Looks like the excellent Kimber Model 82 Government (as purchased through the CMP) is kicking some butt here...:D

xringonly
October 8, 2008, 06:44 AM
"Looks like the excellent Kimber Model 82 Government (as purchased through the CMP) is kicking some butt here..."

HIGH FIVE Coal Dragger!

ShakyJake
October 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
Bumpity Bump Bump, Bumpity Bump Bump

HeadlandRam
October 9, 2008, 07:42 PM
Free Bump. Damn fancy Kimber 82's All I got is a savage bolt action ( Love it :D ) I guess I'll try my Mark 2 ruger, savage and the Mossy 151k this weekend for the compitition.

Coal Dragger
October 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah yeah yeah. Fancy. Worth the money if you like to shoot though.

I expect someone out there to post up some good targets with a CZ, a Cooper, or an Anschutz at some point.

Next year I am upping the arms race though, I think I am going to get my Model 82 re-barreled with a Lilja .22LR barrel. If those tubes are good enough to take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the 2008 Olympic games I think I'll give one a try.

Jubjub
October 9, 2008, 09:28 PM
Big fail on my first attempt to shoot this. There were a slew of people wanting to shoot at the 50 yard point to sight in their muzzle loaders, and the wind was blowing like stink. On the plus side, the 100 yard point is fairly sheltered from the wind, and the old .222 was putting its groups just exactly right.

I have a boatload of subsonic hollow point ammo to try: RWS, SK, Aguila, Remington, and CCI, and I'm looking to see if anything will unseat Eley as the king of the grey squirrel denogginators.

mp510
October 11, 2008, 04:39 PM
Here is my meager entry. I shot a 67 at 25' with Crosman 1377 4.5mm (.177 cal) air pistol. I know this is supposed to be rimfire, but using air is a disadvantage- since the pellet goes slower, and the 10" barrel gives plenty of time for my movements to affect trajectory. Just using the cheapest Daisy pellets from Sports Authority.

I missed the bull 7 times, the black (or a combo of black and white) 17 times, and solid white once. 3 3-shot groups could be covered with a quarter. A 4th just barely didn't make it (had the shot been a 1/16th of an inch closer to the black, I could have added 16 points to my score.

While I'm disappointed in my score, I think I did pretty darn well, especially considering my groups were generally as tight as they were (consistancy baby).

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2419/p1050103ug4.jpg

Shots were fired with iron sights, offhand, at 25'.

ShakyJake
October 12, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hi mp510
very good shooting regardless.:) Welcome, I don't remember seeing your moniker before. Offhand definitely more challenging. I would have a hard time determining which shot went to which target. :what:
TaKe CaRe
Ted

xringonly
October 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
As meager as it is Im still going to post it. Kinda had a WOOPS:fire: with the one shot, not to mention way out of practice with my pistols. I will remedy this in the future. Also laid it in water to score it.:cuss: I shoot pistols lefty cuz I dont have a trigger finger on my right hand anymore,:D

xringonly
Ruger MK II target, std barrel
open sights
25 feet
modified weaver stance

xringonly
October 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
Last gun for me today, my squirrel gun. Wind almost got me on top left bull. Had lots of fun today, hope we can keep something going through the winter.

xringonly
squirrel gun
Ruger 10/22, Volquartsen barrel
Leupold 4.5-14, custom reticle
50 yds
bench

texfed
October 14, 2008, 07:22 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/texfed/octtarget.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/texfed/targetw22.jpg

Went out today...50yds,2mpheast breeze, offhand, scoped, 23 white 2 black
will this work?:)

ShakyJake
October 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
texfed,
Welcome to Rimfire Match. Your shooting prowess is as awesome as your rifle is beautiful.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

texfed
October 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks, appreciate the kind words.........Gerry

JustsayMo
October 28, 2008, 11:26 PM
Texfed, give us the details of your rifle/scope and coin coverage on the target and I'll add you to the standings. Nicely done!

Standings so far
Coal Dragger /Kimber Model 82 Govt' / Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36 / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Coal Dragger /Kimber Model 82 Govt' / Aperture Sights / score 250 Iron Sight Leader
Xringonly / Kimber 82 gov. (stock so far) / BSA platinum 24x / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Blonde #1 / Kimber 82 gov. (stock so far) / BSA platinum 24x / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Xringonly / Ruger 10/22, Volquartsen barrel /Leupold 4.5-14, custom reticle/ score 250 Auto-Scoped Leader

WingherderRuger 77/22 All-Weather (24" barrel, laminated stock) / Tasco World Class 3x9x44 scope / Score 197
4of6 / Remington 541X / Lyman 90MJT rear Lyman 20MJT front / score 181
xringonly / Ruger MK II target, std barrel / open sights/ score 159 Handgun Leader
JustsayMo / Ruger Single Six NM 4-5/8” / factory opens / score 149
JustsayMo / Ruger Single Six NM 5.5” stainless/ factory opens / score 148
JustsayMo / Three Screw Ruger Single Six 6.5”/ factory opens / score 118
MP510 / Crossman 1377 (air gun) / Factory sights (shot offhand) / score 67 Pellet gun Leader

Wingherder
October 29, 2008, 09:16 PM
Newbie here, but I'd like to play. :D

Ruger 77/22 All-Weather (24" barrel, laminated stock)
Tasco World Class 3x9x44 scope
50 Yards
"Country Boy" Benchrest (tailgate of pickup)

Score:
18 in white; 7 in black. 20 covered by a quarter.
197 total points :(

Used "Wally World" Federal 550 pack 36 grain hollow point.

JustsayMo
October 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
The November Match rules are posted

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5041114#post5041114

Rolex24
November 1, 2008, 11:18 PM
Ok, only my second post here but I couldn't wait for a chance to get to the range again with my new "el cheapo" Savage MKII BV. Shot two rounds of 25 with covering fire (.30 cal pistol with brake to the right, AR with brake to the left and all this INDOOR no less) and to say the least I'm very pleased with the results. They are as follows:

Rolex24
Savage MKII BV 22LR
Leupold 2-7X Rifleman
50yds INDOOR
Bench
Federal Gold Medal
205 Total Points

Rolex24
Savage MKII 22LR
Leupold 2-7X Rifleman
50yds INDOOR
Bench
Wolf Match
246 Total Points

I'll post pictures tomorrow. My Wolf group would probably be scored as a full 250 by others but since I have a shot touching the black I felt it was only right to deduct 4 points from my score ;) Just tryin to stir things up, don't anyone go gettin' upset.:D

Coal Dragger
November 2, 2008, 01:04 AM
Since you shot from a bench you should deduct points. Some of us shot from field positions.

:neener: :neener: :neener:

Good shooting by the way.

JustsayMo
November 2, 2008, 10:35 AM
We'll see if any more trickle in today. Here are the current standings. If I missed anyone please notify me.

Coal Dragger /Kimber Model 82 Govt' / Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36 / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Coal Dragger /Kimber Model 82 Govt' / Aperture Sights / score 250 Iron Sight co-Leader
Xringonly / Kimber 82 gov. (stock so far) / BSA platinum 24x / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Blonde #1 / Kimber 82 gov. (stock so far) / BSA platinum 24x / score 250 Scoped Co-Leader
Xringonly / Ruger 10/22, Volquartsen barrel /Leupold 4.5-14, custom reticle/ score 250 Auto-Scoped Leader
LotI / CZ 452/open sights/ score 250 Iron sight co-leader
Rolex24 / Savage MKII 22LR / Leupold 2-7X Rifleman / score 246
LotI/10-22/ simmons/ score 241
Texfed / Ruger 10-22 / simmons / score 232 (?)
WingherderRuger 77/22 All-Weather (24" barrel, laminated stock) / Tasco World Class 3x9x44 scope / Score 197
4of6 / Remington 541X / Lyman 90MJT rear Lyman 20MJT front / score 181
xringonly / Ruger MK II target, std barrel / open sights/ score 159 Handgun Leader
JustsayMo / Ruger Single Six NM 4-5/8 / factory opens / score 149
JustsayMo / Ruger Single Six NM 5.5 stainless/ factory opens / score 148
JustsayMo / Three Screw Ruger Single Six 6.5/ factory opens / score 118
MP510 / Crossman 1377 (air gun) / Factory sights (shot offhand) / score 67 Pellet gun Leader

Rolex24
November 2, 2008, 11:11 AM
Coal Dragger, I think my score should contain and asterisk cause I was shootin' indoors :p. There's no way I could have come close to my bench score using anything but prone. Here's my best target! This was fun can't wait for the next one.

JustsayMo
November 2, 2008, 11:36 AM
Rolex get shootin' pard

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5041114#post5041114

Coal Dragger
November 2, 2008, 04:26 PM
Nice target Rolex. I have been meaning to track down some Wolf .22 match.

natescout
November 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
natescout , ruger 10/22 , bushnell 3x9 , 50 yrds , prone bi-pod , wolf match , i think i shot 213 http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm10/natesyz250/IMG.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "October 2008 Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!