Armed Polite Society down? Anybody know where it went?

PDA

Stand_Watie
October 4, 2008, 12:34 PM
????

If you enjoyed reading about "Armed Polite Society down? Anybody know where it went?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpsimms
October 4, 2008, 12:36 PM
people are polite when I openly carry

Tommygunn
October 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
I think they're switching servers. I got that message last night when I tried to log on APS.

ishida
October 4, 2008, 01:00 PM
I believe you should check Oleg's blog, for that.

Pure Kustom
October 4, 2008, 01:07 PM
I believe you should check Oleg's blog, for that.

Directions?

Armed Polite Society down? Anybody know where it went?

I think they are hiding. For when it is time not to be polite!!! The U.N. Polite society.

hso
October 4, 2008, 02:32 PM
APS is supposed to be migrating to a new server.

Quiet
October 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124308

As some of you may know, Oleg Volk owns thehighroad.org(THR) but recently without permission and on his own Derek Zeanah transfered the domain name to himself and has locked Oleg out of the server and the forum control panel.
Effectively stealing THR from Oleg.

Oleg has been involved with his lawyer in trying to retrieve THR and a lawsuit has been filed.
Through it all however Oleg has also been locked out of the server for his other site armedpolitesociety.com(APS) since it is one the same server as THR.
Oleg has a clear title to the domain and all intellectual property and has made arrangements to move that forum off of the server Derek controls.

Pure Kustom
October 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
Attached Files APS MOVING.pdf (47.2 KB, 0 views)

Simple machines is a great forum software.!!! That is what I use. When can we join?

Oleg Volk
October 4, 2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com

Bruce333
October 4, 2008, 11:29 PM
can't get on right now...Network Timeout

The server at www.armedpolitesociety.com is taking too long to respond.

Eleven Mike
October 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
This morning, APS looks like this.

Notice: Undefined variable: sourcedir in /hsphere/local/raid/olegv/armedpolitesociety.com/index.php on line 54 Warning: require_once(/QueryString.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/raid/olegv/armedpolitesociety.com/index.php on line 54 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/hsphere/shared/apache/libexec/php5ext/php/') in /hsphere/local/raid/olegv/armedpolitesociety.com/index.php on line 54

Avenger29
October 5, 2008, 09:08 AM
I confirm Eleven Mike's post. You can't get into APS now...

Eleven Mike
October 5, 2008, 09:26 AM
Oooh! Progress! :)

Maintenance Mode
Sorry for the downtime. We are working hard to get the fourm back up for you! Please check back in 15 minutes.

freedom lover
October 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
But apparently it hasn't. According to Oleg it was hijacked by Derek.

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/477181.html

It's been a long day. Rather than recount what I already posted in other venues, I'll link to a very concise and clear write-up by my friend Peter. In sum: not content with stealing The High Road, Derek Zeanah is trying to hold my other forum (in which he had zero involvement other than hosting) Armed Polite Society as a hostage to get me to compromise with him on THR.

I haven't been able to get on because of this:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/
It's been saying that since this morning. APS was stolen! :fire:

Nate C.
October 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
If THR has been hijacked, should we boycott until the rightful owner gets it back?

conw
October 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
Nate, you're a week or two behind the times, buddy. Try googling Oleg's name + The High Road. You will have 100+ pages on various forums and blogs to leaf through.

My own take is that I don't really give a flip who "owns" it because the community is what's important to me. I actually have faith in the civil courts to figure this thing out, which in turn will save me a big headache. I wouldn't really be doing anyone any favors by boycotting to my thinking.

If everyone "boycotts" THR while this protracted legal battle goes on, it will fall apart.

Lastly NO ONE except perhaps a few people knows the full story here. This kinda thing doesn't just happen out of the blue, nor for no reason. If I could honestly say Oleg was in the right it might be a different story, too. Right now I am not comfortable going off hearsay, so here I stay.

freedom lover
October 5, 2008, 01:19 PM
Again Nate. This details the THR hijacking. Please repost:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2008/09/controversy-at-high-road.html

Nate C.
October 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the links to catch me up.

I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, as the saying goes.

Geronimo45
October 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
Lastly NO ONE except perhaps a few people knows the full story here.
It apparently started a while back in the uber-secret mods/admins forum. Many details have not been divulged.
Pretty sure APS has been transferred totally to Oleg's dominion - but a lot of the old forum software settings weren't saved, so I suspect that those are getting overhauled at the moment.

hso
October 5, 2008, 06:22 PM
freedom lover signed up just to contribute to the Oleg/Derek drama. APS is up and running so we see the accuracy of his statements.

THR is serving the same purpose it has always had. To provide one of the very few civil places RKBA and firearms can be discussed on the intarweb and to, hopefully, show undecided citizens that the anti propaganda against gun owners is false by showing reasonable and rational behavior is the norm here.

Now some folks are interesting in drama. THR isn't about drama.

So, when you see drama here consider that the poster isn't interested in THR's mission or the vision for the place. They're interested in drama.

APS is a different website and they're working at moving to a new server. Their mission and vision for their website is there concern.

alaskanativeson
October 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
About the only drama I'm interested in is The Dark Knight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/) or maybe another Jason Bourne movie. Thanks to Art Eatman, Jeff White, and HSO for the well written comments on the current craziness going on and their suggestions that we, as members of THR, can best contribute by making this forum continue to operate in a "high road" fashion giving firearms information until proper authorities can find a solution. If there's a flap to be raised, let's wait and find out what happens first. The old adage "look before you leap" springs to mind. I'm as revolutionary as they come at times, but I'd like to have more intel before I plan my attacks. I'd recommend others do the same (and of course, I'm speaking figuratively here.)

Kestryll
October 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
freedom lover signed up just to contribute to the Oleg/Derek drama. APS is up and running so we see the accuracy of his statements.
Well, if time on the forum is the qualifier I've been here longer then you.
Does that allow me to discuss this or does it not strike ANYONE that the constant deleting and closing of threads does nothing more then fuel the questions and suspicion?
If you want to not have questions there are two methods of doing it:
Total suppression, squash ANY discussion of a topic.
Upside: Allows total control of information.
Downside: Creates tension, questions, suspicion and ultimately complete mistrust.

Transparency:
Upside: Less work deleting topics and posts, builds trust and a sense of community, prevent scenarios where people are left to question actions and motives.
Downside: Your actions and words ALL have to come from a base of integrity and honor, no lies, no hiding things. Have nothing to hide and you will not have to hide anything.

Guess which one of these methods best mirrors the term 'The High Road'?
Guess which road is not being taken?

Ask me how I know which one works better.

I suppose I will be banned again but that's fine, going down for demanding transparency and truth isn't a bad thing.

Nate C.
October 5, 2008, 10:23 PM
Well said, Kestryll.

Censorship rarely engenders good will, and nature abhors a vacuum. Based on the heated ongoing discussions regarding this very matter on several other popular forums, there is somethin' definitely afoot at THR.

In the interests of full disclosure: I don't really have a dog in this fight, other than being a quasi-regular visitor to this forum, and I don't much care for drama.

Or intrigue.

TimboKhan
October 6, 2008, 12:49 AM
Well said, Kestryll.

Censorship rarely engenders good will, and nature abhors a vacuum. Based on the heated ongoing discussions regarding this very matter on several other popular forums, there is somethin' definitely afoot at THR.

In the interests of full disclosure: I don't really have a dog in this fight, other than being a quasi-regular visitor to this forum, and I don't much care for drama.

So, what you basically just said is that while you don't like drama, aren't a regular visitor and by your own admission don't have a dog in this fight, you still think that all the drama should be laid bare for all too see and comment on, which of course does nothing but create more drama.

Which is it, dude? Cut down on the drama and let the mods do what they have been doing and deleting threads that do nothing but stir a pot by a bunch of people who largely have no idea what they are talking about? Or, should the mods and their "uber-secret" mod/admin forum (which, by the way, isn't secret at all. Pretty much every forum has a private area for mods and admin to discuss the issues at hand) simply open the whole bag up for discussion? Because, you know, open discussion has led to asinine ideas about boycotting the blog. If we all boycott it, problem solved! There can't be drama about THR if there is no THR, right?. Brilliant!

Kestryll, you can bitch all you want about transparency and truth, all while playing the "I am a martyr because I am going to get banned again for being Captain Ethical" card, but the fact is that this is a private forum. Transparency and truth in a private forum, on matters that I think should have been left private to begin with, are well within the moderators rights. I wonder if you have objections to the mods closing down racist, sexist, or derogatory threads? I wonder if you think that every mod decision should be posted and discussed? I know your experience with Calguns.com has made you an expert on the online gun forum community and all, but the simple fact of this matter is that you don't know a single thing more about this subject than anyone else that can open any one of a hundred different blogs knows, and that's to say that you don't know much. Post count typically doesn't mean much to me, but I do find it odd when a 6 year member, with 326 posts, pops on for no other apparent reason other than too stir the pot. You are right about one thing, we forum members do have long memories, and I am going to remember that practically your entire body of posts in 2008 was nothing more than an attempt to stir the pot even more.

But you know, none of this surprises me. Everyday morons sit in front of the TV and pass judgement on the guilt of other people, largely without knowing any but the most sensational of the details, and then only from one side of the story. All this while applying their own moral standards to events with which they have zero practical experience with. Maybe Oleg is in the right, maybe not. I don't know, and I am not going to choose a side for that very reason. Moreover, I am not going to make an effort to find out more, because it's not my business.

Jeff White
October 6, 2008, 01:19 AM
I suppose I will be banned again but that's fine, going down for demanding transparency and truth isn't a bad thing.

You haven't got a right to DEMAND anything here son. In case you haven't noticed you are a GUEST. Maybe you think it's a good idea to interfere and demand personal information about family disputes from all of your hosts, maybe you enjoy living life like a soap opera character.

There will be no more trolling THR about this. None! Does everyone understand. The gloves are coming off. I don't know how I can be any clearer then that. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE SIDES YOU HAVE OTHER FORUMS, BLOGS, PRIVATE MESSAGES, EMAIL, SMS, AND TELEPHONES. YOU AREN'T GOING TO DO IT HERE ON THR. I CAN'T BE ANYMORE TRANSPARENT THAN THAT

People who go into peoples homes and stick their nose into family business are often asked to leave and they usually are never invited back. Take that any way you'd like. My patience with this whole situation is about gone and I think I'm speaking for the rest of the remaining staff when I say that. You come here looking to drag all of THR into a personal dispute that you aren't directly involved in, don't be surprised if you are asked to leave.

Jeff

Kestryll, if you've got a problem with this, get my phone number from Oleg, as I'd have no trouble telling you the same thing in person.

ArfinGreebly
October 6, 2008, 01:27 AM
Armed Polite Society is up and doing business.

Question asked and answered.

The rest of the "drama" component of this thread isn't really productive.

As I close this thread, I wanna ask you guys to think about something. Do you imagine that the moderators are sitting down in the moderator lounge, kicking back and high-fiving with each other on the confusion and drama generated by this?

Not hardly.

Maybe some of you would get a kick out of watching your parents brawl. Some of you would invite the neighbors over and serve popcorn.

Those of us who have to sweep up glass see it differently.

This is not TV. We're not going to adopt the media mantra of "the public's right to know" in this matter.

When the smoke has cleared and the matter has been settled, there will certainly be a story to be told.

Meanwhile, all we have are incomplete facts and rumor.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for an appointment, and my black helicopter is waiting . . .

hso
October 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
See Oleg's post at http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=398028 asking everyone to quit stirring the pot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Armed Polite Society down? Anybody know where it went?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!