Well Guys! Heres my first Rifle!!!!

PDA

peck1234
October 4, 2008, 02:48 PM
Well Guys I finally got my AR-15 today! The second I picked it up I went straight to the range! Being my 1st rifle, I was very exited! Ive shot rimfire and shotguns slugs before, but today was my first center fire and I love it. Everyone at the range kept going on about all the upgrades I could get for it; such as laser sights, different stocks and so on.... But I like it how it IS! Being my 1st time EVER at a rifle range, (besides scouts when i was younger) I would say everyone was very helpful, at first ill admit I was a little intimidated by the others, but the range officers and other shooters quickly welcomed me in! P.S I was using wolf military classic poly ammo! (not one Hiccup)

Only downside, it the factory sight-settings were wayyyy off! At 50 yards I couldn't even hit paper; and let me assure you my sights were dead on. But at 25 it would hit low right corner I had a group of about the size of a fist.... so I have some adjustments to do... And of course dpms did not supply me with a front sight tool! So what can I use for that?

http://i33.tinypic.com/2z6i2x0.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/r930bk.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/m915di.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/16knkgw.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Well Guys! Heres my first Rifle!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paintballdude902
October 4, 2008, 02:50 PM
nice gun

CoryS
October 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
Enjoy it man..Its a good feeling huh?

Picard
October 4, 2008, 03:00 PM
I would just get a front sight adjustment tool. They cost around $6. I don't know what else you could use for that.

mp510
October 4, 2008, 03:00 PM
So what can I use for that?
You can order one of the tools online for a couple bucks- less than $10 delivered if you shop around. Or, alternatively, use the tip of a bullet to depress the detent at the front of the front site post. and then turn the post. Here is a good primer on AR sight adjustment.
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/sightIn/

Glad to see some love out there for the A2 (well the sights at least).

peck1234
October 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
great... thanks for the link.... think ill use the bullet...

Code3GT
October 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
dude, use the tip of a bullet...push and turn.

Matt-J2
October 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
Congrats on the gun! :)

In addition to a bullet tip, small nails work just fine.

twinhairdryers
October 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
screwdriver like some of the optics adjustments take. Just push the front pin down and rotate a 1/4 click at the same time. Adjusting elevation on these is a piece of cake. Just start at 25 or 50 meters or so, and then move to the range you want to zero at. I've seen people try to zero at 100 meters, and they spend a day and a hundred rounds at the range scattering and adjusting and wasting their time and ammo. Start at very short range, then grow out. Once you zero at your favorite range, then back down and up and learn how to drift the front pin a bit to hit everything.

ifit
October 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
congrats on your purchase. honestly its always nice to see an ar with nothin on it, hand guards, red dot etc... be careful these things get addictive. read your manual learn how to take it apart, its actually pretty fun

possum
October 4, 2008, 07:17 PM
congrats, that is great, i remember my 1st ar!:) good times

BeJaRa
October 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
nice rifle, I just got an AR a few months ago too, I also got the A1 sights, I like them alot even compared to the A2. I would not worry about putting attachments on it, learn how to shoot the gun as is. I think alot of guys start strapping stuff to their rifles and end up with a 10-11 lbs carbine that they can't shoot worth a damn when the battery runs out

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 4, 2008, 08:45 PM
Schweet. Now you're spoiled with that as a 1st gun. They are fun & accurate.

guntotinguy
October 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
Nice rifle... congrats on a great choice!

wcwhitey
October 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
I like the A1 setup on the carbine. I have the Bushy Shorty AK with the A1 sights and 14.5 barrel with AK brake (NY legal as well). I use the short A1 fixed stock as well. Makes for a great no frills KISS carbine. My other AR is a DPMS that has been very good to me. Welcome to the club and enjoy. As others have said the sights are adjustable with the tip of a bullet. If you are going to pick up the the sight tool (maybe 8 bucks) get the one that does both front and rear, not really needed but it makes a smoother operation.

P.S. Since you have a NY legal gun the stock is probably pinned fully extended. The A1 stock is a cheap swap that gives you storage. In my stock I have the GI cleaning kit, some CLP, sight tool and broken shell extractor, all things that may come in handy. Bill

lionking
October 4, 2008, 09:32 PM
I like it just the way it is also.Good photos.

A AR-15 is accurate and fun even without optics or handles or whatever.

I haven't shot mine in a long time,I think I will soon though.;)

NonConformist
October 4, 2008, 10:15 PM
Use a cartridge tip

also try other ammo, standard power before zeroing for Wolf, its a little light

halfbreed808
October 4, 2008, 11:09 PM
You could use an 8 common nail. At least that's what we used when I was still in the Army. Nice gun though enjoy it the way I enjoy mine... every chance I get.:evil:

peck1234
October 5, 2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! cant wait to spend some more time downrange to properly sight it in......!!!

As for the front sight tool I payed 3 bucks and free shipping on www.dpmsinc.com

Man I'm loving it....

rangerruck
October 5, 2008, 02:38 AM
a nail will do the trick as well, zero it a tad low at 25 yds, maybe 1/2 inch. this should put you close to on at 50 , and a scad high at 100, which is good for all the way out to 250 or so.
I like that setup as well, looks like a pencil bbl. It appears to be dying to have it's muzzle threaded and capped... I dunno just me maybe...

BusMaster007
October 5, 2008, 03:07 AM
Heckuva first rifle choice!
:D
Nice going!

Sunray
October 5, 2008, 06:32 AM
Please reduce the size of your pictures. A dial up member will be loading this page until next Tuesday.
"... my sights were dead on..." Not if your shots were low and right. Get some good ammo, forget 50 yards and shoot at 100. Mind you, if you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best.

moooose102
October 5, 2008, 09:38 AM
deleted

moooose102
October 5, 2008, 09:43 AM
congats on your first rifle! it looks pretty nice! i have been wanting one for a little while now, but with 2 kids, and limited income, i am having trouble coming up with the $1200 or so to buy one. shoot often, clean like hell! buy LOTS of ammo!!! p.s. zero for the ammo you are going to shoot most. ammo point of impact will change depending on the velocity and bullet weight, and even design. also, group sizes will shrink and grow with different ammo, due in part to quality control. find ammo your gun likes, and stick with it.

sarduy
October 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
NICE LOOKING A1 :D

now all you haver to do is shoot the hell out of it ;)

kcmarine
October 5, 2008, 03:10 PM
Dude... no fair. I demand a government program to give me an AR-15. :p

Just kidding. Nice gun man. :D

sarduy
October 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hehehe ^^^

AlexSpartan
October 5, 2008, 03:31 PM
Nice rifle. I personally would have gone with something in 7.62 NATO flavor, but I'm not hijacking this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

wcwhitey
October 5, 2008, 03:44 PM
Peck, I forgot to add this link when I last posted, a good bit of information regarding the 50 yard zero. At the bottom there are more specifics about zeroing with the A1 rear sight, enjoy! http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

B.D. Turner
October 5, 2008, 03:54 PM
Nice rifle. Looks like a 6 position butt stock very nice. You can do most anything with the AR platform.

nwilliams
October 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
Nice:cool:

Congrats! Look like a fun shooter!

peck1234
October 5, 2008, 06:47 PM
wcwhitey, thanks for the link, but I my rear sights only go left/right with 1 screw, and my front only goes up or down, its an A1 basic upper, just what i like! : ) thanks tho.. the first one yo supplied was very helpful...

lionking
October 5, 2008, 09:13 PM
Quote.Dude... no fair. I demand a government program to give me an AR-15.

sorry Uncle Sam can't afford it,they are busy blowing the treasury on Wallstreet bailouts and nation building,and endless "war on's".;)

just need a sling and more nagazines!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Well Guys! Heres my first Rifle!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!